Who's The Next "Legend" To Make A Return?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have to give the WWE some credit before I get started here. For long enough, they have been going about things in the wrong way. And like wrestling fans often do, I got on their back about not putting over the young talent and not thinking about who was going to represent their brands in future years. But the truth is, at least of late, the WWE have been giving me what I want to see... At least in some ways.

For me, the WWE didn't do enough to put over the young talents that will shape their company in the future. You only have to look as far as someone like Bray Wyatt for evidence of this. Every single time Bray builds up a little bit of momentum, he is invariably put down by someone who has been wrestling with the WWE for a long period of time. Randy Orton, Kane, John Cena – all have done the deed over the last months and years and now time is fast running out for someone like Bray Wyatt. Someone who has a lot of potential to be one of the greats in the modern era of WWE.

But that's neither here nor there.

What I really want to get at, is that the WWE have been doing much better recently at putting over young talent using people from the past. Mickie James is a fantastic wrestler and her CV proves it. Soon enough, she will take on Asuka in an NXT PPV and Asuka will win win that match. It's a similar story for Bill Goldberg, who will undoubtedly return to face off against Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series in a month. Lesnar will, without question, come through that match and beat Goldberg. What the WWE are doing well right now, is using the right talent to help build up superstars who could be doing with it. The rub that Asuka will get from beating Mickie James is considerable, and the same goes for Lesnar (albeit with different ends).

And what's more, I have actually been enjoying being blasted with wave after wave of nostalgia from the WWE recently. Mickie James and Goldberg are two names in wrestling that get me excited to watch WWE programming. Hell, even The Spirit Squad were used in the right way (at first).

My question to you, is who will be next in this seemingly unending line of talent from yesteryear? Who will be the next “legend” of wrestling to come back to the WWE to put someone over?

Who's left anyways? Hardys, Angle, Hogan, Rey Mysterio and The Rock, if we're talking about wrestling. Rock and Hogan won't be wrestling again anytime soon. TNA is going under, but Matt Hardy now has a strong and interesting character, one that he might not be able to carry out on WWE TV. Mysterio won't be coming back anytime soon either.

So it has to be Angle.

I'm not interested in seeing more legends come back to be used as jobbers. If Kurt Angle came back, he'd just be losing all his matches and his name would mean nothing. I only want to see big names come back and win most of their matches, then lose one big one. But if Angle came back, he'd be jobbing to Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews, Big Cass, and every other young nobody. It's disgusting and embarrassing.

I'm not interested in seeing more legends come back to be used as jobbers. If Kurt Angle came back, he'd just be losing all his matches and his name would mean nothing. I only want to see big names come back and win most of their matches, then lose one big one. But if Angle came back, he'd be jobbing to Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews, Big Cass, and every other young nobody. It's disgusting and embarrassing.

Huh? Based on what? Rock came back and won the championship. Brock came back and has been stronger than perhaps any wrestler ever.

I highly doubt Angle loses to anyone you named.

Gee I don't really think that there are a lot of legends left to be honest. You have the Hardy's, Angle and well that's all I can think of off the top of my head. Angle could be good in getting either Owens or Corbin over, I can't see him in a program with Lesnar. I would love to see the Hardy's in a program with the Wyatt's. Let's face it Matt is more crazy than Bray right now. That would be interesting to say the least.

Can't wait for Mickie James to come back, she is great in the ring. The only thing I'm wondering about is what's left for Asuka afterwards. If they had to bring Mickie back, there is no one left for Asuka to face, unless they move her up to the main roster. If that happened though who would she drop the belt too in NXT after beating someone like Mickie James? I think the that NXT might have painted themselves into a corner with her.

I think we've been very fortunate to see such a high number of 'unthinkable' legends return in the last 5 years. Kurt Angle definitely seems like the next in line (and also the one with the shortest window of time) but that remains to be seen. I'm sure The Rock hasn't wrestled his last match. The Hardys are a promising option and I would definitely mark out for a Jeff return. With the Revolution running rampant there's an added value to some of the few female icons returning, such as Lita, Trish, Beth, and to a smaller degree Molly, Victoria, and Michelle McCool. I would've paid big money to see Chyna come back to WWE in any fashion.

Who else is really a possible option? Austin and Edge are done, as is HBK. Batista already had his comeback and that was ill-received. I'd imagine the biggest return of them all would be CM Punk if they somehow work that out, but I'm sure that's not even a possibility for the next 5 years or so. By that point, CM Punk will definitely still bring a lot of eyes to his return match but what will the quality of that match be? At 43 years old that's a question I'm sure a lot of fans would be asking themselves if he came back in 5 years since he doesn't plan on wrestling at all in the interim. Daniel Bryan is another interesting option but WWE seems to have no interest in going down that route.

I heard rumours about HBK which I hope could be true, I'm quite happy seeing any legends back for one more match even the Headbangers a couple of months ago, Can't do any of the new talent any harm working with these legends it makes them look good when the legends put them over and also gives the fans a nice nostaligia moment and gives the legends another payday so everyone wins except maybe for some of the whiny IWC who appear to hate returns.

Guardians of the galaxy 2 is coming out in the spring, I could see Batista coming back for a better booked run than last time.

But yeah, the wrestlemania legend will likely be angle or hogan.

obviously it's gonna be Hornswoggle, The Great Khali or Rob Conway.

Or maybe they'll actually bring back Papa shango for a match.

He has been doing the con circuit as a wwe representative, and I can't see him coming back as the godfather.

Maybe he can come back instead as Kama, the ultimate fighting machine.

This is hard to answer because it depends who you deem a legend. Angle is the first name that springs to mind, like someone mentioned Matt Hardys character is on fire. If WWE were to sign Matt I think he'd go back to his normal gimmick. I'll drop a name nobody has really mentioned in Lita.

I'd like to see Gene Snitzky come back and only attack European wrestlers. He has a big hate for them for whatever reason.

Jim Ross and Jesse The Body Ventura for special match commentating. Both can still talk so it would work.

Christopher Daniels to come to SD Live for a one-off match with AJ Styles.

Hulk Hogan, who manages somebody. Maybe Apollo Crews.

I've always wanted to see Jeff Jarrett make a return to WWE. He's still active and was still decent in the ring last time I've seen him in TNA. He has legit heat with The McMahons and it could make for good television if they played it out in a storyline. I can picture him coming back and smashing a guitar over Triple H's head.
If WWE does end up buying out TNA then there's value in having Jarret doing some interviews for documentaries, network specials and DVDs.

Jeff Jarrett and jess Ventura are two legends I'd be seriously surprised if theyneber returned,

Jesse only came back once when he was governor for a ppv I highly doubt d come back for commentary.

Jarrett only happens if vince buys TNA.

Goldberg is pretty much the last "serious" one they can do now... Angle hasn't miraculously healed all the ailments that caused them to let him go... he's 10 years older and probably a lot worse off physically.

I can see Kurt winning the Andre Battle Royale at Mania as a shock entrant and that being about it... he gets one more moment and then a backstage or other role. They're clearly not using it to push new talent so letting Angle win it wouldn't hurt.

As for regular returns, is there really anyone who you miss enough? who you'd call a legend? (Don't say Punk... it's not happening...)

The only guys who can now come back are guys like Morrison, Shelton... mid level guys who won't actually set anything on fire...

If TNA is bought or goes under, then the Hardyz are likely, but people want Broken Matt now... not sure WWE would want to push him solo or as the main attraction. You could see someone like Drew come back, but he wasn't really a legend... nor was Lashley or ECIII they're just guys WWE can do something with now ala Christian.

Most of the "legends" who this kind of thng work with have been used or are dead... Tatanka came back for a while and was pretty good all considered, so was Duggan for his age... They're also up against their own self imposed age restrictions... they don't want guys in their 50's and 60's wrestling... so it rules out a lot of the old talent unless it;s a DDP or Bob Backlund who are in insane, clean shape.

That only leaves Attitude Era and later guys, none of whom really qualify as legends...

The only possible guy I can think of, and it's a stretch is to work with Shawn in a bigger capacity...but even his return would be dumb... it's bad enough that Flair reneged on his retirement in TNA but with Shawn you just feel it's not needed...especially in a Rumble to pop a show. We certainly don't need a 50+ year old man in chaps dancing to "Boy Toy".

Goldberg is pretty much the last "serious" one they can do now... Angle hasn't miraculously healed all the ailments that caused them to let him go... he's 10 years older and probably a lot worse off physically.

I can see Kurt winning the Andre Battle Royale at Mania as a shock entrant and that being about it... he gets one more moment and then a backstage or other role. They're clearly not using it to push new talent so letting Angle win it wouldn't hurt.

As for regular returns, is there really anyone who you miss enough? who you'd call a legend? (Don't say Punk... it's not happening...)

The only guys who can now come back are guys like Morrison, Shelton... mid level guys who won't actually set anything on fire...

If TNA is bought or goes under, then the Hardyz are likely, but people want Broken Matt now... not sure WWE would want to push him solo or as the main attraction. You could see someone like Drew come back, but he wasn't really a legend... nor was Lashley or ECIII they're just guys WWE can do something with now ala Christian.

Most of the "legends" who this kind of thng work with have been used or are dead... Tatanka came back for a while and was pretty good all considered, so was Duggan for his age... They're also up against their own self imposed age restrictions... they don't want guys in their 50's and 60's wrestling... so it rules out a lot of the old talent unless it;s a DDP or Bob Backlund who are in insane, clean shape.

That only leaves Attitude Era and later guys, none of whom really qualify as legends...

The only possible guy I can think of, and it's a stretch is to work with Shawn in a bigger capacity...but even his return would be dumb... it's bad enough that Flair reneged on his retirement in TNA but with Shawn you just feel it's not needed...especially in a Rumble to pop a show. We certainly don't need a 50+ year old man in chaps dancing to "Boy Toy".

As far as Angle....coming for one major match(like Sting, or like Taker does every now and then) is a lot different than being a permanent part of the roster. Honestly stopped watching TNA like 5-6 years ago so I have no idea how Angle is now. But in his early TNA years he was certainly healthy enough to wrestle a match. It was just the heavy WWE schedule he couldn't do anymore. TNA had the lighter schedule and Angle was still healthy enough to put on a lot of good matches under those conditions.

I would think he could come in to do a match, unless he has really deteriorated in recent years.

But yeah, you're right. At this point there arent any major top of the card types left out there.

On a lower level, I want to see Shelton Benjamin and Muhammad Hassan(I know there's basically zero chance of that) come back. Would love to see Michelle McCool come back as well.

To return in an in-ring capacity? I think Angle is the only guy left isn't he? At least as a guy that can still "go." Mysterio.... maybe. But who cares. He wore out his welcome. There's just nothing interesting about him and don't care to see him in any matches with anyone.

Hogan will come back at some point. Obviously he won't wrestle (we can hope not), but you'll hear that music hit at least one more time. I think everyone has more or less forgot about what he did because let's be honest... the way Hogan was brought down was sneaky and low. WWE has done worse stuff on their programming.

But as for any other comebacks... there aren't any left. Maybe some minor stars or over the hill guys like the Steiners or something but that's about it.

They should bring back the nacho man and the huckster and billionaire Ted,

We've already had injury mania, now we need old man a mania....

There is no point to any b level superstars making constant returns,

I mean it would be nice for the odd show to feature bushwhacker Luke or animal, but really other than angle and rvd every few years, are their any bonifide legends left alive from the 80s and 90s?

Unless it's a hall of fame run (see sting, Goldberg, nash, Dudley's etc.) there's really no one left to bring back unless u bring back meth hardy and fatt broken hardy.

The one I see coming back and the one have the most interest in seeing make a return, would be Kurt Angle. If Kurt can stay healthy and was able to work a schedule similar to Lesnar, then we could see some epic match ups. Angle had some classic matches with Aj Styles in TNA and if given the chance could do it again in WWE. Also seeing him face off against the likes of Rollins and Owens would be awesome and one finally match with Lesnar at Wrestlemania could be a big draw for WWE.

The one other person I could see return to the company and have a big impact, would be Bobby Lashley and with TNA's current financial issues that could happen sooner rather then later and give the fans some what of a dream match in Lesnar vs Lashley.

Jeff Jarrett might have an IMPACT, pun intended.

But only if there's some kind of TNA purchased angle.

Kurt and jeff are probably the last two that won't ever come groveling back to Vince,

That and bagwell, but he's a jobber, no one likes him.

Angle for sure.

Trish and Lita would have awesome matches with the current roster.

JR for commentary, or maybe a Mean Gene kinda deal..

A Punk return would be huge. Not now. Say, a couple of years down the line.

Sting returning for a Taker match is what everyone wants.

Not really legends, but people like Mr. Anderson, MVP, Morrison, Lashley would generate a lot of interest.

Punks credibility is severely damaged post his ufc fight, given the bad blood I doubtbwe will ever see him in a wrestling caspascity back in a wwe ring ever

The only legend left is Kurt Angle.

I don't think that The Hardys or CM Punk are even professional wrestling legends. Matt has been interesting as Broken one but that's since only 1 year. Angle is surely a legend who should return before Wrestlemania 33.

There aren't any more legends left to return. Lita or Trish could be good if they can still go in the ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back