• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's Better: Eddie Guerrero or Rey Mysterio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBusiness

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hear me out now. Both are big names within the wrestling industry and most people might automatically go with Eddie, as I did. Personally though, I think a lot of people overrate Eddie just for the fact that he passed away. He's good, but some people think he's more than that. When I rank wrestlers on order of importance, I go with 5 categories in a specific order:

1) Overall Impact
2) Accomplishments
3) Appeal/Draw
4) Mic/Charisma
5) In ring Skills

Yes, sadly, in ring skills is last. Anyway, going through this list, I'm stuck on who had a bigger impact, Eddie or Rey? I'd say its about equal. I'd give accomplishments to Eddie even though Rey is not too far behind. Rey has way better appeal imo and can draw a lot more than Eddie, however the mic/charisma definitely goes to Eddie. In ring skills is a hard one, so I'm calling it a tie. You guys don't have to follow this formula when giving opinion, but please take time to rate who takes each category. Thank you!

The most well rounded performer between the two is definitely Eddie Guerrero. Eddie was one of my favorites of all time, the man had it all and his "lying, cheating and stealing" gimmick was absolutely hilarious. His in-ring skills are unparalled and he's one of the most amazing, and entertaining performers in wrestling history.

He was the biggest reason why Smackdown was so awesome for so many years.

Out of all those catergories I'd have to say Eddie Guerrero. He is a legend and people respected him when he wrestled. He had great mic abilities, and even though when he used illegal moves people still cheered him. However Rey Mysterio gets huge pops from the crowd and gets (imo) a bigger reaction than Eddie on average. But overall it has to be Eddie

Eddie wins and really he wins based on your 5 for in-ring I'm gonna go with him. Rey's a good high flyer but that's about it, nothing wrong with that

The issue I have about comparing them is Rey is like the Hornswoggle of Smackdown having ridiculous wins against various unlikely opponents, I'm getting sick of it, so it's for that reason also Eddie is better. Atleast it was believable when he did things cause he lied, cheated and stole victories

Rey however doesnt, he just gets a ridiculous opponent one after the other and gets to beat them. I dont wanna see another Rey vs Kane, Khali or Mike Knox match, David vs Goliath matches are not fun anymore

And on accomplishments Eddie does have that over Rey because truth is like it or not Rey would have never won the Royal Rumble or World title if it wasnt for Eddie dying and I still despise the way they pushed him only because of Eddie's death basically using Eddie's name for his success, looking up smiling going "this is for you" when in reality it was all for Rey

So as a wrestler for so many reasons Eddie was better than Rey
Rey wouldnt have had some of his biggest moments if it werent for Eddie

mic-Eddie
accomplishments-Eddie
in-ring-Eddie
Appeal- may be can say Rey on this one

Impact-Eddie imo

Eddie wins and really he wins based on your 5 for in-ring I'm gonna go with him. Rey's a good high flyer but that's about it, nothing wrong with that

The issue I have about comparing them is Rey is like the Hornswoggle of Smackdown having ridiculous wins against various unlikely opponents, I'm getting sick of it, so it's for that reason also Eddie is better. Atleast it was believable when he did things cause he lied, cheated and stole victories

Rey however doesnt, he just gets a ridiculous opponent one after the other and gets to beat them. I dont wanna see another Rey vs Kane, Khali or Mike Knox match, David vs Goliath matches are not fun anymore

And on accomplishments Eddie does have that over Rey because truth is like it or not Rey would have never won the Royal Rumble or World title if it wasnt for Eddie dying and I still despise the way they pushed him only because of Eddie's death basically using Eddie's name for his success, looking up smiling going "this is for you" when in reality it was all for Rey

So as a wrestler for so many reasons Eddie was better than Rey
Rey wouldnt have had some of his biggest moments if it werent for Eddie

mic-Eddie
accomplishments-Eddie
in-ring-Eddie
Appeal- may be can say Rey on this one

Impact-Eddie imo

If you want to say Rey would have never gotten the title if Eddie hadn't died, I would counter with the opinion that Eddie would have never gotten the title if Lesnar hadn't left because both those things are likely true. It's not Mysterio's fault that he is small but he does a damn good job of it the ring.

I'll say it is a tie in overall impact, accomplishments, and mic skills/charisma. Looking at the appeal/draw and in-ring skills I will have to go with Rey Mysterio. Mysterio has been huge for the Hispanic audience on Smackdown and while Eddie was on Smackdown as well, I just felt the crowd received Mysterio better. I just never saw that great match from Eddie except for a couple in 2004 where Rey has had plenty in WCW and the WWE, most of them from this past year alone. I always felt Eddie overrated in death but that did not influence my decision and I honestly think Mysterio is better than Guerrero.

yes the answer is Eddie. he wins because of his ability to out "wrestle" his opponets. He is a great technician and his in ring mind games over his opponents will never be matched. Even though he is a high flyer, that is not a weakness against Rey. Having a skill lke that is useless when you are on the ground in one of Eddie holds. So Eddie Gurrero is better then Rey Mysterio.

Eddie was clearly better. This biz was just suited for him . He had ton more charisma and had just as must athleticism as Rey. Rey has no mic skills for bein in as long as he has. Eddie just knew how to work the crowd wether he was a heel or face. RIP EDDIE!!

Eddie was clearly better. This biz was just suited for him . He had ton more charisma and had just as must athleticism as Rey. Rey has no mic skills for bein in as long as he has. Eddie just knew how to work the crowd wether he was a heel or face. RIP EDDIE!!

I hope you don't hold Rey's "lack" of mic skills against him because you don't need to be a wordsmith to get over. Chris Benoit never talked that much of the mic and he still got over and it is the same way with Mysterio. People misinterpret what a lack of mic skills really mean and also just because Mysterio speaks Spanish on the mic half the time shouldn't be held against him. He's just connecting to the Hispanic audience which Eddie never really seemed to do.

yes the answer is Eddie. he wins because of his ability to out "wrestle" his opponets. He is a great technician and his in ring mind games over his opponents will never be matched. Even though he is a high flyer, that is not a weakness against Rey. Having a skill lke that is useless when you are on the ground in one of Eddie holds. So Eddie Gurrero is better then Rey Mysterio.

It seems to me that you are holding Rey's high flying abilities against him when you said Eddie can "outwrestle" his opponents. Guerrero and Mysterio work two very different styles and I still say Mysterio does a better job of his than Eddie does of his. Lie, cheat, and steal may been have been his motto but he didn't employ it in every match so let's not get ourselves carried away. I would take Mysterio of 2009 over Eddie's years in WWE combined.

I would say Eddie. I don't want to say he was a better wrestler because with Rey's size, it's almost like he belongs in his own category. Anyone who will believe that Rey can go night in, night out with the likes of Taker, Kane, big show, whoever is delirious. However; Rey opened the doors to guys like Evan Bourne, London/Kendrick, and the luchadors. Eddie can do a better job of wrestling guys of various sizes and does not have to rely on the luchador style of wrestling. Because of that, I would pick Eddie, solely because Rey is one dimensional based on his size.

I'd go with Eddie. As far as size goes, Eddie wasn't much bigger, but that did have to help him to a degree. Health wise, I'd take Eddie as Rey's style has destroyed his body overall. The guy is always hurt now. Sure Rey drew alot more, but it was mostly the young audience and was never a believable nor credible champion, although creative is really to blame there. Eddie's style and how he approached his opponents were more enteraining over all the 619s and splashes Rey would hit.

Eddie by far in the long run.

I'll say it is a tie in overall impact, accomplishments, and mic skills/charisma.

How do u consider it a tie between the two in mic skills? Like others have said, Eddie displayed mic skills as face and heel. Eddie was even able to do comedic roles as well. Rey's promos are basically the "David" (David & Goliath) with a bit of Cena-ness/80's Hulk Hogan thrown in for good measure. Even when Rey was a heel in WCW as part of the Filthy Animals, he couldn't connect as a heel.

Though Eddie is the more complete wrestler, Rey, however, imo has had a bigger impact on wrestling. His size did play a factor, but let's not forget that Rey was the face of cruiserweight wrestling when it exploded in the U.S. through WCW. And his masks are HUGE merch sellers.

Guerrero. Eddie is one of the best overall wrestlers of all time. He had classics in every style. Could hang in with the big men (Lesnar), put on a technical clinic (Benoit), cruiserweight match (Rey), a brawl (JBL), ect.. Besides HBK, I've never seen someone have classics in every style.Wrestling, charisma, mic skills, great actor, always had the crowd in the palm of his hands whether he was a heel or a face, he excelled in every aspect. I remember watching Guerrero in 2003. He beat the shit out of Tajiri and the fans couldn't help but to cheer for him. His run in 05 proved that he could make peple hate him though. There really aren't many wrestlers that had the connection Eddie had with the fans. As Bret Hart said, Rey is one of the greatest wrestlers ever, but overall, Eddie was just better.

If I look at both guys I will always say Eddie was better. If you look at Rey, yes he was the smallest man to win a World title, but would he have ever won the belt if Eddie hadent passed? And who was the smallest champ before Rey, that would be Eddie. Rey's mic skills as people have said are very limited and focus on the underdog aspect which he always is because of his size. Rey of course is an amazing highflyer, that goes without saying, but obviously he takes less risks on those moves now because he is somewhat injury prone most notably with his knee and even his bicep around No Way Out 08.
The only aspect where I think Rey would beat Eddie is with merch, just because all the little kids like wearing the masks. And IMO Rey just barely beats Eddie in highflying, and I mean by a really slim margin. Sure in his WWE days Eddie was less of a highflyer, but back in WCW and before he was flying around just as much as Rey.
Then you at Eddie. The smallest champion in WWE History before Rey as I said. He was one of the best technical and highflying wrestlers in history. his promo skills werent on the level of the Rock but a few large steps down like most great promoers. And the one thing the steals it for me is the fact that between 02-05 I was more focused on Raw for whatever reason, I still watched Smackdown of course but I was just more focused on Raw. But I still watched Smackdown because I knew either I was going to see a great match from Eddie, or he was gonna make me laugh.
So like I said Eddie beats Rey in every aspect except merch and barely in the highflying

i would have to say eddie although its much closer imo than alot of people will think.the main reason i say eddie is because eddie could play a face and a heel so brilliantly,i know rey hasnt really played heel so that could be debatable but i dont think mysterio would get over as a heel because of his size

Eddie was better, no question. Every time Rey wins a match he breaks kayfabe. He's so small that none of his moves look like they hurt. How am I supposed to believe that a plancha, springboard or not, is a legitimate finishing maneuver against a 250 plus pound wrestler? Maybe if the person doing the plancha is 300 plus pounds. Every time someone sells anything from Rey it makes me sick. The day he beat Kevin Nash in WCW is the day Pro wrestling died.

Eddie was just awesome. He had it all. Size, speed, strength, mic skills, personality as face or heel. If he had lived longer he'd have made a bigger impact on the business. The fact that Rey got anywhere in the business boggles my mind. I feel like he was basically forced down my throat. Nothing about this guy is believable. This guy is so one dimensional the WWE actually turned it into a nickname. "The eternal underdog". Latinos deserve a better representative.

Eddie should have won that match between them at Halloween Havoc years ago. In my eyes, whoever pulls off the biggest offense, the most painful looking moves, and the most innovative counters/holds should be the victor. But that's not how wrestling works.

The sports part of sports entertainment died long ago.

Eddie was better, no question. Every time Rey wins a match he breaks kayfabe. He's so small that none of his moves look like they hurt. How am I supposed to believe that a plancha, springboard or not, is a legitimate finishing maneuver against a 250 plus pound wrestler? Maybe if the person doing the plancha is 300 plus pounds. Every time someone sells anything from Rey it makes me sick. The day he beat Kevin Nash in WCW is the day Pro wrestling died.

Eddie was just awesome. He had it all. Size, speed, strength, mic skills, personality as face or heel. If he had lived longer he'd have made a bigger impact on the business. The fact that Rey got anywhere in the business boggles my mind. I feel like he was basically forced down my throat. Nothing about this guy is believable. This guy is so one dimensional the WWE actually turned it into a nickname. "The eternal underdog". Latinos deserve a better representative.

Eddie should have won that match between them at Halloween Havoc years ago. In my eyes, whoever pulls off the biggest offense, the most painful looking moves, and the most innovative counters/holds should be the victor. But that's not how wrestling works.

The sports part of sports entertainment died long ago.

That assessment is just plain awful. If that were the case than I guess Big Show, Andre, and Khali would be hailed as gods because they are bigger and stronger and pull of more painful looking moves.

A kick to the face or knee hurts no matter how small the person is that is doing it. Mysterio has and still can put on a damn good match better than anybody in the WWE and has had more great matches these past two years than Eddie's tenure in the WWE combined. Even though injuries have slowed him down, Rey is still an amazing performer and I don't hold his size against him one damn bit. If your way of wrestling actually worked, I will feel sorry for the state of wrestling. Hogan, Austin, and the Rock, some of the greatest superstars ever to step into the squared circle, would be out of work.

If that were the case than I guess Big Show, Andre, and Khali would be hailed as gods because they are bigger and stronger and pull of more painful looking moves.

Yes, they should. They are mosters and should be pushed as monsters. They should be extremely difficult to defeat because no one can do anything that hurts them and because they can do a hell of a lot more damage.

A kick to the face or knee hurts no matter how small the person is that is doing it.

Yes, but it hurts much more if someone larger is doing it. It isn't as believable when a 5'5" man is trying to hit, say, Batista, a mountain of muscle. Or Kane. Or Mike Knox. I want more realism. I want it to seem like they are actually legitimately competing for a title that takes skill and effort to win. Not just popularity.

Mysterio has and still can put on a damn good match better than anybody in the WWE and has had more great matches these past two years than Eddie's tenure in the WWE combined

I disagree. I am bored by every match that Rey is in. It's the same old thing every time. He pulls a victory out of his ass using a move that doesn't even look like it does any damage.

If your way of wrestling actually worked, I will feel sorry for the state of wrestling. Hogan, Austin, and the Rock, some of the greatest superstars ever to step into the squared circle, would be out of work.

We are just two different types of fans. I care more about the in ring aspect than the personalities. They definitely have a place, and they make you care about the match more. But that only goes so far. I want to see something new and inventive.

I'll have to go with Eddie as the better of the two. Not taking anything away from Rey, but although Rey is a good wrestler I always saw him as a spotmonkey. On the mic he's kinda weak. And think about this had Eddie not passed would Rey REALLY have won the World title? Eddie was a pure wrestler who came from a family of wrestling tradition who has high flying moves but not to the point of being a spot monkey. Eddie has the abilty to make the fans love or hate him. On the mic Eddie was gold always getting a crowd reaction. As for Charisma Eddie just oozed it unlike Rey who was bland. Eddie played a great heel and face while Rey remains bland only to be catered to little kids. On overall achievemets I'd say they're about even. Overall Impact on this business has to go to Eddie.

I'll have to go with Eddie as the better of the two. Not taking anything away from Rey, but although Rey is a good wrestler I always saw him as a spotmonkey. On the mic he's kinda weak. And think about this had Eddie not passed would Rey REALLY have won the World title? Eddie was a pure wrestler who came from a family of wrestling tradition who has high flying moves but not to the point of being a spot monkey. Eddie has the abilty to make the fans love or hate him. On the mic Eddie was gold always getting a crowd reaction. As for Charisma Eddie just oozed it unlike Rey who was bland. Eddie played a great heel and face while Rey remains bland only to be catered to little kids. On overall achievemets I'd say they're about even. Overall Impact on this business has to go to Eddie.

Do you even know what a spot monkey is somebody who performs high spots without psychology in between and Mysterio has been far from a spot monkey as possible. His spots are logical and they flow within his matches. Even though he doesn't take as many high spots as he used to, the ones he do take are still good and with all his injuries, can still put on a good match consisently.

Eddie no doubt man. Eddie imo was just as good if not better then Benoit even. He has amazing charisma, fluid mic skills and crisp smooth technical/mat wrestling ability, oh and he could take it to the air and bleed a bucket like that bloodfest vs JBL. He was what we call a total package, not to mention his story telling abilities ironically enough mastered in his last feud with Rey in 2005. Eddie was really 1 of a kind "not saying it cause he's gone" I truly mean it, he was a rarity. Rey is awesome and to call him a spot monkey is ******ed! Rey is underrated in the ring, on the mat and as a Wrestler. My only complaint about Rey is his move set is a bit repetitive, yeah I know everyone has a move set but lay off the damn hurrincaranas and head scissor takedowns for 5 mins buddy lol.

Eddie. :disappointed: Just Eddie.

Rey is great, but IMO he is no where near Eddie's league. Eddie IMO was overall superior in the ring, better mic skills, better gimmick, more impact, more titles. Eddie is a hall of famer, and an all time great!

Rey on the other hand is an upper mid-card/main eventer. He's awesome in the ring. And had one of the best 'Mania moments when he beat Angle and Orton for the World title. But I still think he is no where near Eddie's league, yet. Nor do I think he ever will be. Sorry Mysterio marks. Although I would like another Mysterio world title run.

VIVA LA RAZA!

display_image.jpg

R.I.P. Eddie.

Eddie. :disappointed: Just Eddie.

Rey is great, but IMO he is no where near Eddie's league. Eddie IMO was overall superior in the ring, better mic skills, better gimmick, more impact, more titles. Eddie is a hall of famer, and an all time great!

Rey on the other hand is an upper mid-card/main eventer. He's awesome in the ring. And had one of the best 'Mania moments when he beat Angle and Orton for the World title. But I still think he is no where near Eddie's league, yet. Nor do I think he ever will be. Sorry Mysterio marks. Although I would like another Mysterio world title run.

VIVA LA RAZA!

display_image.jpg

R.I.P. Eddie.

You claim that Rey is an upper midcarder when Eddie was the exact same. Eddie is the most overrated wrestler in the past decade even more so than HBK. He was a career midcarder who got the belt because Lesnar was leaving and Angle was injured, had an underwhelming title reign, and was in the midcard soon after losing the title. More titles does not simply mean you are better. Edge has more titles than Bret Hart so does that mean Edge is better? Rey helped pave the way for luchadors and cruiserweights to be successful and could connect with the Hispanic audience in a way I think Eddie never cuold. So I would pick Mysterio over Guerrero without a second thought.

Little Jerry Lawler you keep mentioning that they were giving the title to Eddie because Lesnar was leaving, but who else were they to give the title to? You don't think Eddie deserved the title? By the same token we can say they gave the belt to Rey because Eddie died, but think about this: had Eddie not died would Rey have ever won the World Title? I highly doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back