Who would you rather deal with in your wrestling locker room?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
Lex Luger or Scott Steiner?

Steiner's game just didn't really fit Flair's. Steiner's game was predicated on stiff wrestling people and going into the business for himself on the mic for his promos. But he wouldn't have been able to do that with the NWA/WCW offense centered around going through Flair as the main draw.

Steiner was the more talented of him and Luger but also the more immature, wild, out of control player. At the time I think the WCW were looking for stability and focus and saw Hulk Hogan as a veteran leader that could help them more than the erratic and unhappy Steiner.

Luger was the classic company man....he buddied up with Flair and that was the biggest reason Steiner got moved. That and Steiner loved the nightlife, but in reality he was sulking because though he was better than Hogan in so many ways, Hogan, Luger and Flair were all better at the ass kissing than Steiner.

@relentless1 I suppose it's because Lex Luger's more of a company guy than Scott Steiner backstage. At least Luger doesn't hate on Flair the same way Scott did. Flair wrecked two careers in one year that is 1991. Scott was supposed to get a singles push by having a match with Flair at the early 1991 Clash of the Champions PPV where Flair sandbagged him to the point that this match taught Scott a lesson, look out for yourself and don't expect Flair to put you over if he's gonna secretly look out for himself.

Luger was also supposed to beat Flair in a Great American Bash '91 PPV main event match where Luger would've gotten a special massive celebration ceremony for finally winning the NWA World Heavyweight Championship Belt after years of being screwed over by Flair and The Four Horsemen detailing from the year (1988) he was kicked out of the Horsemen in favor of Barry Windham up until that moment. But Flair was fired from WCW and so Luger's celebration ceremony fell flat because he beat Windham and not Flair. Even if he was a Bash Victim as some form of scapegoat for Flair's brushes with Jim Herd, at least Luger wasn't bitter about Flair the same way Scott does.

Well it depends, if I wanted to run a successful wrestling promotion and I could have either as a top heel or babyface I would choose Big Poppa Pump. Like you said he was light years more talented in his prime than Luger. He could work, he had the look and he most definitely could talk. But he was also wildly immature, and had a reputation for bullying not just the fellow talent but the agents as well!! I think Steiner was definitely more a of a loose cannon but sometimes you need that in a locker room. Case in point, Shawn Michaels. I seriously doubt Shawn Michaels would have been as disruptive a force in the locker room if Scott Steiner was there to keep him check.

I don't think Luger is a company guy so to speak he just doesn't rock the boat like a Scotty Steiner would. There were a couple times Luger was the victim of backstage politics. One in 1988 when he was supposed to dethrone Ric Flair at Bash '88 but Dusty thought it would be more fun to fuck with the fans and did that bullshit finish (and you wonder why JCP went down the drain). Then in 1991 like you mentioned when he didn't get the torch from Flair. Then in 1993, when he failed to win the WWF Championship from Yokozuna.

Honestly, I don't think Luger cared if he won the title or not. He was getting paid handsomely regardless of whether he won the belt or not whereas Steiner craved that spot. So much so that he held a grudge for seven years and it still lasts to this day.

So it depends. Do you want someone who actually gives a shit whether he wins or not, draws money, and might be a problem backstage or do you want someone you can control, doesn't draw as much, but won't cause any problems backstage. If I were running a promotion, I'd choose Scotty all day.

I would go with Steiner, Luger was probably more pleasant do deal with out of the two but Steiner had such an unpredictable character and unpredictability and characters are really lacking in wrestling right now and made it more fun to watch wondering what he was going to say or do next.

Luger, at least he wont beat you up if he doesnt like what you have to say haha

Went to write pretty much the exact same thing lol. He was legit scary back in the day on screen, and going by reports of him going off at people backstage - no thanks.

Luger. Luger understood wrestling as a business and carried himself that way but Steiner was becoming too unpredictable and his personality was the same outside of the ring as it was in.

The question isn't who is the better worker, but who would be the better locker room presence. Lex Luger, while not as good of a worker, was a guy that you never really heard any major issues about this backstage behavior. He was a guy that you would tell, go be a guy that's entire gimmick is to go out there and pose in front of mirrors, and he would do it. Where as Scott Steiner, you tell him to do the same gimmick, he would tell you where you could stick those mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back