• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Would Have Survived in the Attitude Era?

Attitude Era started in '96.

The first few steps were Austin 3:16.

Then the Shawn/Bret feud in '96-'97.

HBK was around longer than just six months.

The attitude era did not start in 1996. I don't know where you got that from. It didn't even start until after the Montreal screwjob when Vince McMahon's character began to develop which was in November of 1997. Austin 3:16 laid seeds for it but it didn't start then. So Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March. So that's a total of 5 months of HBK being an active wrestler for the attitude era.

The attitude era did not start in 1996. I don't know where you got that from. It didn't even start until after the Montreal screwjob when Vince McMahon's character began to develop which was in November of 1997. Austin 3:16 laid seeds for it but it didn't start then. So Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March. So that's a total of 5 months of HBK being an active wrestler for the attitude era.

The Attitude Era, according to official WWE media, spanned a time period of somewhere between 1996 and 2002, although the exact starting and ending points are essentially undefined. The organization has, over the years, given various dates, which differ drastically from one medium to the next.

That's where I got it from.

To further quote:

During the Monday Night Wars, a ratings battle between the WWF's Monday Night Raw and WCW's Monday Nitro, the WWF would transform itself from a family-friendly product into a more adult oriented product. This era was spearheaded by Chairman Vince McMahon and head writer Vince Russo, who drastically changed the way professional wrestling television was written. Russo's booking style was often referred to as Crash TV — short matches, backstage vignettes, and shocking television.

Several miscellaneous events, outside the major benchmarks, have been credited with helping the transition the Attitude Era. In his book, Russo mentions the debut of the character Goldust in 1995 as a turning point in portraying a more adult character. Brian Pillman's "loose cannon" persona has also been credited, highlighted by a 1996 segment when he pulled a gun on Austin and a 1997 storyline that contained sexual overtones with Marlena. By 1996, the WWF had also began playing up female sexuality, led by Sunny and Sable. After losing a match that cost him a chance at the WWF Championship in March 1997, Bret "Hitman" Hart shoved McMahon and went into profanity-laced tirade.

As stated, the start/end points are undefined and debatable, however according to official WWE media, spanned a time period of somewhere between 1996 and 2002.

The extreme factor is mostly gone from wrestling but that doesn't mean some of those guys couldn't fill shoes. Austin and The Rock are a far cry for any of the guys you mentioned and UT and Kane succeeded in part due to their size but who is to say there isn't a Mankind, Goldust, Hardy, Edge, Christian, Ken Shamrock, Steve Blackman, Val Venis, Dudleys, Kaentai, Test, Albert, or Vader in the bunch?

Imagine if Hogan only existed in his 80's character. Would you really think he could thrive in the AE environment? I wouldn't, but he did, he thrived.

Would all those guys have the success that they are having now? Meh, I doubt it. But survival is not hard to imagine.

Imagine if Hogan only existed in his 80's character. Would you really think he could thrive in the AE environment? I wouldn't, but he did, he thrived.

Excellent point.

If someone in the 80's asked if Hulk Hogan would be successful in an environment like the Attitude Era, people would have said no and wouldn't have been able to conceive a way that he would have succeeded, because they didn't know him any other way than the say your prayers, eat your vitamins hero that he was. Yet Hogan, a guy that had that ability I mentioned earlier to connect with a crowd like few others could, not only succeeded, but he thrived in that era.

Point is, we just don't know, and we can't assume that ANY of the guys today would have been the same back then as they are today. But the guys that can make that connection, like Bryan, would still have that ability.

John Cena- As much as people want to say John Cena's too boring to make it in the AE, I think Cena would have been right up there with Rock, Austin, and Trip. People forget his heel days as a rapper and how much he towed the proverbial line during those days. Cena is one of those talents who would have been able to adapt at any time period.

CM Punk- Could easily see Punk having a Jericho-esque career because of his look, in ring ability, and mic skill but would probably be classified as a top midcarder.

Brock Lesnar- C'mon Brock would have been bigger than Hogan if he debuted in the AE.

Randy Orton He's so held back because of the PG product that he really can't show any of himself, he just plays a cocky arrogant person and it shows. I think if Orton were put into a time where he could basically do and say anything, he would have been even better than he became.

The Shield- All three mostly Reigns because of his massive look and relation to the Rock at the time. Ambrose and Rollins would have been perennial IC Champions with maybe 1 or 2 short WWF title reigns.

The Wyatts- Hell, would have been better in the Attitude Era. Could have done some really crazy things between Taker and Bray and also Bray would come with much more "special effects" much like Taker and Kane possessed at that time.

That's where I got it from.

To further quote:

As stated, the start/end points are undefined and debatable, however according to official WWE media, spanned a time period of somewhere between 1996 and 2002.

Wikipedia truly is a credible source isn't it?

Look I understand it may be debatable but no one classifies the Attitude era as starting in 1996 and with good reason

Wikipedia truly is a credible source isn't it?

Look I understand it may be debatable but no one classifies the Attitude era as starting in 1996 and with good reason

No one except official WWE media.

So yeah "no one does."

As for Wikipedia being a credible source, it's far more credible than "no one thinks that" and the poster who drops trivia threads with wrong answers.

The Shield- All three mostly Reigns because of his massive look and relation to the Rock at the time. Ambrose and Rollins would have been perennial IC Champions with maybe 1 or 2 short WWF title reigns.

The Wyatts- Hell, would have been better in the Attitude Era. Could have done some really crazy things between Taker and Bray and also Bray would come with much more "special effects" much like Taker and Kane possessed at that time.

I really hate the notion that just because Roman Reigns is related to Rock that he'll get somewhere. One word, Rikishi. He debuted in that time and although he debuted with a major storyline what did he end up doing? Dancing with one of the most annoying groups ever with no world title to his credit and his signature stink face has become more memorable than he was. His relation to Rock meant nothing. Relations will only get you a spot in the business but thats as far as it goes, you have to do the rest.

The Wyatt's special effects are very different from Kane and Undertaker's. The only similarity is appearing when the lights go out. Plus Undertaker was a heel during that time and he was being billed as the most dominant heel in the company with the most dominant faction in the history of the company. The Wyatts vs. the Ministry would not have worked. If he were to debut prior to the attitude era to feud with Undertaker then I would agree but not during. Especially with the UT being mostly heel and when he returned in 2000 he was the American Bad Ass and if they feuded then it wouldn't have been very good because the Undertaker wasn't that style anymore. As a group they would have gone nowhere. They would have been in the Brood's place, right in the Ministry but with dyed black hair and black leather. In ECW they would have thrived. However, them as a group may have been able to survive in the late attitude era but feuding with Rock and Austin instead.

I really hate the notion that just because Roman Reigns is related to Rock that he'll get somewhere. One word, Rikishi. He debuted in that time and although he debuted with a major storyline what did he end up doing? Dancing with one of the most annoying groups ever with no world title to his credit and his signature stink face has become more memorable than he was. His relation to Rock meant nothing. Relations will only get you a spot in the business but thats as far as it goes, you have to do the rest.

The Wyatt's special effects are very different from Kane and Undertaker's. The only similarity is appearing when the lights go out. Plus Undertaker was a heel during that time and he was being billed as the most dominant heel in the company with the most dominant faction in the history of the company. The Wyatts vs. the Ministry would not have worked. If he were to debut prior to the attitude era to feud with Undertaker then I would agree but not during. Especially with the UT being mostly heel and when he returned in 2000 he was the American Bad Ass and if they feuded then it wouldn't have been very good because the Undertaker wasn't that style anymore. As a group they would have gone nowhere. They would have been in the Brood's place, right in the Ministry but with dyed black hair and black leather. In ECW they would have thrived. However, them as a group may have been able to survive in the late attitude era but feuding with Rock and Austin instead.

First of all, I never said that Roman Reigns would make it in that time period BECAUSE he was related to the Rock, but yes being related to the second top guy at the time (Austin mark) usually has its advantages. Plus given the fact that Roman Reigns has 10 times the charisma, intensity, in-ring ability and most importantly potential than Rikishi had, it only makes sense that they would match up Reigns and Rock. Rock would easily put Roman Reigns over making him an insta stud and secondly Rikishi... really... I mean, Rikishi was great at what he did but he was NOT a main event player and I think people would MUCH rather see Reigns vs Rock than Rikishi vs Rock. Rock would have been Reigns' in, but he would have made himself a star from there.

When it comes to the Wyatts, I agree with the three of them just being Ministry lackies, I should have said Bray Wyatt instead of the whole family. BUT why does Wyatt's prosperity in the AE rely solely on the Undertaker? Maybe Wyatt would have been in the Ministry and shined, maybe he feuds with Austin or Kane or Goldust etc. It's ignorant to say that Bray Wyatt would not make it in the AE because Taker was around... IMO those two would have been magic together. Also I realize that Wyatt and Taker's effects are different, I was just insinuating that the WWE put much more effort into their pyro and effects during the Monday Night Wars and if Wyatt were around with his current persona at the time, you can bet you would see some Taker-esque things happen with Wyatt.

First of all, I never said that Roman Reigns would make it in that time period BECAUSE he was related to the Rock, but yes being related to the second top guy at the time (Austin mark) usually has its advantages. Plus given the fact that Roman Reigns has 10 times the charisma, intensity, in-ring ability and most importantly potential than Rikishi had, it only makes sense that they would match up Reigns and Rock. Rock would easily put Roman Reigns over making him an insta stud and secondly Rikishi... really... I mean, Rikishi was great at what he did but he was NOT a main event player and I think people would MUCH rather see Reigns vs Rock than Rikishi vs Rock. Rock would have been Reigns' in, but he would have made himself a star from there.

When it comes to the Wyatts, I agree with the three of them just being Ministry lackies, I should have said Bray Wyatt instead of the whole family. BUT why does Wyatt's prosperity in the AE rely solely on the Undertaker? Maybe Wyatt would have been in the Ministry and shined, maybe he feuds with Austin or Kane or Goldust etc. It's ignorant to say that Bray Wyatt would not make it in the AE because Taker was around... IMO those two would have been magic together. Also I realize that Wyatt and Taker's effects are different, I was just insinuating that the WWE put much more effort into their pyro and effects during the Monday Night Wars and if Wyatt were around with his current persona at the time, you can bet you would see some Taker-esque things happen with Wyatt.

I wasn't really comparing Roman Reigns to Rikishi I was moreso comparing their relations. But when Rikishi debuted he was being billed as a monster psychopath who ran over Steve Austin. Of course, Austin won their feud but thats because he's Austin and needed his revenge. My point being that the Rikishi from Too Cool is very different from the guy that debuted. Think Umaga but without the face paint and savage gimmick.

I never said The Wyatt's prosperity relied on the Undertaker, I'm just saying that them feuding with him would not have worked. But think about the guys that were in the Ministry and didn't exactly shine but went on to be champions (Edge and JBL). They were surpressed by the top guys. The Wyatts wouldn't have feuded with Austin because Austin was focused on Undertaker who was kidnapping women and sacrificing people on live TV in an effort to destroy the WWF. rock was involved with the HHH and the Corporation who had just turned on him then they formed the Corporate Ministry which pretty much saw Austin and Rock band together. My point being that there would have been no way Austin or Rock or even Mankind would have feuded with them. Just not enough room at the top of the latter for everyone. Then to make it even less likely, there was Vince and Shane taking up quite a bit of air time with their promos. Trust me, sticking with Undertaker would have been their best bet. Do you think the Brood would have gotten any air time while the Corporation AND the Ministry were around on their own? They would have been buried under the radar. Then when they broke away it gave them a storyline and actually made them do something. If the Wyatts were alone trying to make it to the top it would have been like Christian challenging Goldberg that time on RAW. I think back then ECW would have been their best bet. The gimmick was perfect for that environment and there wasn't a surplus of talent like in the WWF

CM Punk and Daniel Bryan would not have made it, in 1998 when the Attitude era was at its peak, almost nobody had the Internet, and if they did they were on dial up because ADSL hadn't been invented yet, therefore there would not have been the IWC to fall in love with Punk and Bryan.

For someone who is "tired of hearing about the Attitude Era" you sure do make a lot of threads about it.

The time period in which it started came down to 3 occurrences...the formation of the NWO, DX, and Austin 3:16. I believe they all were in 1996 no? Ecw had it's part in it too as Vince began to borrow from them a little in terms of content.

As for the stars of today surviving back then...I think it's easier for us to just assume that they are using the gimmicks they have now just to see if they could cut it.

Daniel Bryan- Prime example of why we can't use his actual start in the company as he was fired early on. He would've never got another chance back then. I think he'd be similar to the rookie Kurt Angle the way he got the crowd involved. The Daniel Bryan as a heel when he first started the YES thing would've been just fine. He would've easily been in the IC title picture from the start with this gimmick.

Cm Punk- As many have pointed out, I think he'd be right there with Jericho (who was able to steal a main event spot at Mania although it was at the very end of the era). He'd probably be better than he is now because he could let loose on the mic.

The Shield- these guys would be even better hands down. They are more of a unit and machine than what the Corporation had with guys like Bossman and Test. Again, like others mentioned, I could see them in this role since they basically play that now.

The Wyatts- Perfect fit. The way Taker used The Brood ...I think he could use The Wyatts, but only when The Wyatts were kicked out, they'd put up a MUCH better fight than The Brood did, and I could see Bray feuding with Taker in a long program as a face.

Ziggler- I think would be fine as a heel. He'd need to stop doing the fameasser and stop shaking his ass ala Billy Gunn, but other than that he'd last. I could see him getting the IC title for sure. He is good in the ring and is charismatic.

Del Rio- he'd be a perfect heel. This guy is awesome when he had all the tools he needed...entrance vehicle, ring announcer, pyro, suits, girls, etc. He's a dirty bastard in the ring and backstage now, imagine if he had a tv-14 rating to work with?

Cena would've been fine if he started out with his thug gimmick first. Orton too. He's another violent bastard...you take the reigns off him and we'd be able to see more of the real Randy. Batista and Brock would've been beasts and I don't think anyone denies that.

We can't forget that WWF had some pretty bad talent in the mid-under card. After Angle, Jericho and Benoit, the mid card was pretty uninteresting...as was the undercard. That's where WCW had them beat. I'd watch Glacier, The Cat, Norman Smiley, Alex Wright and his stupid dancing lol, The Mystro, Wrath, etc over the Oddities, Headbangers, Godwins etc....you could easily insert any of the guys from now into their spots and these guys would shoot up the card and get even more tv time.

No one of them would surive in the attituder era.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Todays PG stars and todays era is nothing at all. Just like Andre The Giant would get ripped to pieces if he would wrestle today.

Their is different eras for a reason.

Todays PG stars would have been killed under AE.

Can you imagine Stone Cold vs Cena i stairdown under AE?

I mean c'mon. Todays PG stars have nothing to do under Attitude Era.

Nope, that's still just an opinion. But good try though.

Many current stars can also be repackaged to fit various eras. Or are you unaware that this can happen? Hell, some may not even need to be repackaged.

For someone who is "tired of hearing about the Attitude Era" you sure do make a lot of threads about it.

The time period in which it started came down to 3 occurrences...the formation of the NWO, DX, and Austin 3:16. I believe they all were in 1996 no? Ecw had it's part in it too as Vince began to borrow from them a little in terms of content.

As for the stars of today surviving back then...I think it's easier for us to just assume that they are using the gimmicks they have now just to see if they could cut it.

Daniel Bryan- Prime example of why we can't use his actual start in the company as he was fired early on. He would've never got another chance back then. I think he'd be similar to the rookie Kurt Angle the way he got the crowd involved. The Daniel Bryan as a heel when he first started the YES thing would've been just fine. He would've easily been in the IC title picture from the start with this gimmick.

Cm Punk- As many have pointed out, I think he'd be right there with Jericho (who was able to steal a main event spot at Mania although it was at the very end of the era). He'd probably be better than he is now because he could let loose on the mic.

The Shield- these guys would be even better hands down. They are more of a unit and machine than what the Corporation had with guys like Bossman and Test. Again, like others mentioned, I could see them in this role since they basically play that now.

The Wyatts- Perfect fit. The way Taker used The Brood ...I think he could use The Wyatts, but only when The Wyatts were kicked out, they'd put up a MUCH better fight than The Brood did, and I could see Bray feuding with Taker in a long program as a face.

Ziggler- I think would be fine as a heel. He'd need to stop doing the fameasser and stop shaking his ass ala Billy Gunn, but other than that he'd last. I could see him getting the IC title for sure. He is good in the ring and is charismatic.

Del Rio- he'd be a perfect heel. This guy is awesome when he had all the tools he needed...entrance vehicle, ring announcer, pyro, suits, girls, etc. He's a dirty bastard in the ring and backstage now, imagine if he had a tv-14 rating to work with?

Cena would've been fine if he started out with his thug gimmick first. Orton too. He's another violent bastard...you take the reigns off him and we'd be able to see more of the real Randy. Batista and Brock would've been beasts and I don't think anyone denies that.

We can't forget that WWF had some pretty bad talent in the mid-under card. After Angle, Jericho and Benoit, the mid card was pretty uninteresting...as was the undercard. That's where WCW had them beat. I'd watch Glacier, The Cat, Norman Smiley, Alex Wright and his stupid dancing lol, The Mystro, Wrath, etc over the Oddities, Headbangers, Godwins etc....you could easily insert any of the guys from now into their spots and these guys would shoot up the card and get even more tv time.

A - I said I was tired of hearing about the Monday Night War so I don't know what you are quoting

B - This is the only thread i made about the Attitude era unless you count the one about Rock and Austin which adds to a total of maybe 1 and a half

A - I said I was tired of hearing about the Monday Night War so I don't know what you are quoting

B - This is the only thread i made about the Attitude era unless you count the one about Rock and Austin which adds to a total of maybe 1 and a half

A: None of what you said touches on the meat of the person's post, just you trying to defend your thread (it wouldn't be the first time people noticed you complain a healthy amount or make incorrect threads).

B: On topic, if the Oddities could be a thing in WWF, there's little to no reason why the current crop of stars could not have existed (at the very least) in the mid-card.

C: Send any more laughable PMs lately?

A: None of what you said touches on the meat of the person's post, just you trying to defend your thread (it wouldn't be the first time people noticed you complain a healthy amount or make incorrect threads).

B: On topic, if the Oddities could be a thing in WWF, there's little to no reason why the current crop of stars could not have existed (at the very least) in the mid-card.

C: Send any more laughable PMs lately?

A - Eh I'm not really going to entertain the backhanded observation. The well has pretty much been run dry for that.

B - I didn't really see a point in responding to it considering I and many others had said fairly similar things. It wouldn't make much of a difference to combat a point that's been made already.

C - There's existing and then there's surviving. I consider surviving to be more than a just a jobber or a comic relief. The Oddities did nothing significant and I remember them as more of the Attitude Era's 3MB only if 3MB had Great Khali, Vladimir Kozlov, and Brodus Clay in it. They were nothing of importance.

D - Yes I have :) and by golly if I didn't know any better I'd say you were trying to illicit some sort of reaction from me

A - Eh I'm not really going to entertain the backhanded observation. The well has pretty much been run dry for that.

B - I didn't really see a point in responding to it considering I and many others had said fairly similar things. It wouldn't make much of a difference to combat a point that's been made already.

C - There's existing and then there's surviving. I consider surviving to be more than a just a jobber or a comic relief. The Oddities did nothing significant and I remember them as more of the Attitude Era's 3MB only if 3MB had Great Khali, Vladimir Kozlov, and Brodus Clay in it. They were nothing of importance.

D - Yes I have :) and by golly if I didn't know any better I'd say you were trying to illicit some sort of reaction from me

Bolded part:

So, instead of staying on topic you... saw a point in correcting the person? What was the point in that? Defending your e-honor?

How in the world does "surviving" equate with being or not being comic relief? Comic relief characters "survive" (read: stay around) all the time in many forms of media. Why, in wrestling, can't "comic relief" survive? Being the comic relief was what made them worth having around, otherwise they'd really have little to no reason to be there. And as I stated prior, current "PG" wrestlers could have fairly easily been repackaged or used a different version of their gimmick to fit into the Attitude Era.

And illicit a reaction? You mean like "oh I feel so bad for your life" kind of reaction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back