• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who should be the last opponents of the soon to be retired Wrestlers?

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I look down the WWE roster and it seems there is a good handful who are reaching the end of their careers. I predict within the next 3 years a good 75% of the following will have retired! Of course this is speculation but who would you like to see them bow out too if they decide to hang up their tights?

If anyone can think of anymore please feel free to add (Booker/Regal maybe?). I think all of these are worthy of that 'last match'.

Undertaker - Wrestlemania 30 is tumoured to be in Texas, this is a huge milestone and would be perfect to retire the deadman. I don't see any reason why Taker can't go on for a few years yet though. He only does a very limited schedule nowadays. When the time does come though,

Triple H - Trips will go on for at least 3 years as his contract states. I think he will keep going like Flair has if I am honest. He will be around the business for many more years so I am at a loss for this one. If Trips decides he wants that 'last fight' then someone like CM Punk could really benefit from eliminating the game. Triple H is all about business and no sentiment.

Big Show - I would use Show to be retired by an up and comer. Some up and coming heel which this superstar could use for years to come. Sheamus (turn) or Wade Barrett would have me interested.

Kane - Undertaker. Plain and simple. The story writes itself. Kane may even retire before Taker does., When Kane bows out, Taker needs to 'finish him'.

Rey Mysterio - If Sin Cara sticks around and WWE give their backing to him then it has to be Sin Cara who retires him and recieves the 'Masked torch'.

Chris Jericho - With Jericho only being part time, he will probably keep going until he keeps going. Jericho is smart though, he will know when to hang up his tights. He isn't like Flair or Hogan. A Christian vs Jericho fued would be the ICW's wet dream. I think they are both close. Makes sense to me.

Mark Henry - A few saying Mark Henry will bow out this year. Maybe Survivor Series against Brock Lesnar? Brock could destroy 'the worlds strongest man'. Give Henry 1 last run as a dominant face before Brocm puts him in his place.

Goldust - I would put this at a Summerslam against his brother Cody Rhodes. I really wanted to see a retirement angle at WM28. This match would have meant so much more than Rhodes vs Show. Cody could garner great heata nd momentum from retiring his brother. Goldust gets his final moment and what better way than to put over his own brother.

I look down the WWE roster and it seems there is a good handful who are reaching the end of their careers. I predict within the next 3 years a good 75% of the following will have retired! Of course this is speculation but who would you like to see them bow out too if they decide to hang up their tights?

If anyone can think of anymore please feel free to add (Booker/Regal maybe?). I think all of these are worthy of that 'last match'.

Speculation is purely from an observatory point of view. A lot of guys that could feasibly retire in the next few years probably won't. If they're in good shape and their body aches aren't keeping them down, I expect them to go until they feel its time to hang up the boots from in ring work.

Undertaker - Wrestlemania 30 is tumoured to be in Texas, this is a huge milestone and would be perfect to retire the deadman. I don't see any reason why Taker can't go on for a few years yet though. He only does a very limited schedule nowadays. When the time does come though,

I've heard Cowboy Stadium... but again purely rumor at this point... I don't want to see Taker get just 2 matches in the next 2 years... he deserves more than that because of his dedication to the company and his legacy. Although, we very well could have seen the last of him at Wrestlemania... That wouldn't surprise me. He seems to be the type like Shawn Michaels and wanting to just ride off into the sunset without a big fanfare etc.

Triple H - Trips will go on for at least 3 years as his contract states. I think he will keep going like Flair has if I am honest. He will be around the business for many more years so I am at a loss for this one. If Trips decides he wants that 'last fight' then someone like CM Punk could really benefit from eliminating the game. Triple H is all about business and no sentiment.

Triple H will do like he's done this past year. He will only come out when there's a reason. He seems to be extremely happy doing what he's doing now. I don't think he'll ever actually "retire" from being in the ring aka no more matches... I expect him to do like Vince has done...

Big Show - I would use Show to be retired by an up and comer. Some up and coming heel which this superstar could use for years to come. Sheamus (turn) or Wade Barrett would have me interested.

Big Show seems to be in better shape and a better mindset now more so than ever. I'd expect someone to challenge him (a rather small guy) and put a title up against a career... or something like that. I don't see this one for at least 5 years...

Kane - Undertaker. Plain and simple. The story writes itself. Kane may even retire before Taker does., When Kane bows out, Taker needs to 'finish him'.

Kane's on a roll. Leaving in the next year or two would be a shame. The man's been on a roll since he's put the mask back on. I know he's not won every match he's had back nor has he won the feuds so to speak but he's got an aura he's been lacking for years. I don't see this for a long time. I think it could be Taker as well but what if Taker has retired before Kane wants to? Then whom? Someone with history with Kane would be a good option...

Rey Mysterio - If Sin Cara sticks around and WWE give their backing to him then it has to be Sin Cara who retires him and recieves the 'Masked torch'.

Agreed... except I'd have the Hunico Sin Cara be the man to come back and do this. He's better in the ring than the current Sin Cara... (or he could be a new character in a mask...)

Chris Jericho - With Jericho only being part time, he will probably keep going until he keeps going. Jericho is smart though, he will know when to hang up his tights. He isn't like Flair or Hogan. A Christian vs Jericho fued would be the ICW's wet dream. I think they are both close. Makes sense to me.

Jericho will be on the time table like he is now... I expect him to be in the ring for a minimum for the next 5-7 years... not full time though. I'd like to see him against an up and comer that needs a technical match and a hell of a feud to solidify themselves... I'd like to see him against Daniel Bryan... but not as his last match... That one should be reserved for someone else... not sure whom yet... possibly Wade Barrett because of their history.

Mark Henry - A few saying Mark Henry will bow out this year. Maybe Survivor Series against Brock Lesnar? Brock could destroy 'the worlds strongest man'. Give Henry 1 last run as a dominant face before Brocm puts him in his place.

He's on the roll of his career. I'd like to see him get 1 or two more solid title runs. If someone was to retire Henry.... I don't know who it would be... I wouldn't want Brock to do it... makes NO sense.

Goldust - I would put this at a Summerslam against his brother Cody Rhodes. I really wanted to see a retirement angle at WM28. This match would have meant so much more than Rhodes vs Show. Cody could garner great heata nd momentum from retiring his brother. Goldust gets his final moment and what better way than to put over his own brother.

Goldust should have a lengthy program with Cody. A program that solidifies Cody as a contender for the World Title. I'd like to see it go the length of at least 3-4 months... Make it a slow but progressive program and have Goldust pick up some momentum as well. A clash at SummerSlam would be big but that shouldn't be his last match... see if it could run until Survivor Series...

I'm going to come across abit like a douche but I only really have criticisms of you've said.

Undertaker - WM30, sure. Texas, plays less relevance to his character but he's from there so I guess he's kind of a hero there.

HHH - If as you say he sticks around for awhile, Punk will likely do the same. That being said, Punk will be a big, BIG, star by then so he wouldn't need the rub. Maybe against HBK?

Big Show - Big Show has never had a huge stand out feud. Not to say he doesn't do big feuds, they've just never been popular. Not sure who'd retire him, maybe he'd put someone over as you said.

Kane - Maybe Taker in Texas, but their 'brotherly' storyline isn't as big as it used to be, as I remember last time no one really cared much for it. However, I can see them destroying each other at WM30 and retaining the streak but also 'killing' each others careers off of television.

Rey - Sin Cara maybe, I'm sure he'd love to go out by putting over the next generation of his proficient style that made his famous.

Y2J - Jericho has always seemed like the kinda guy that could fade into the horizon without ever having a 'famous last match' and still being recognised as one of the best of all time. Although he was never a Hogan or an Austin, the fact that we all love him so much after all these years seems to show that you don't have to ever be 'top dog' to be considered one of the greats.

Henry - Maybe Big Show? He didn't have any big feuds with guys who are either around today or would make sense to retire him in the coming years. I definitely wouldn't suggest Lesnar... Why Lesnar?? Nothing makes me want to see that, nor doesn't make sense for that to happen.

Goldust - This guy is essentially retired from popular television. He's been around for decades now, but I think he could pull a Jericho and leave quietly, but yet we'd all remember his legacy as The Bizarre One. If he did come back though then yes, Cody Vs. Goldust would be the way to go.

I've heard Cowboy Stadium... but again purely rumor at this point... I don't want to see Taker get just 2 matches in the next 2 years... he deserves more than that because of his dedication to the company and his legacy. Although, we very well could have seen the last of him at Wrestlemania... That wouldn't surprise me. He seems to be the type like Shawn Michaels and wanting to just ride off into the sunset without a big fanfare etc.

I have to draw issue with this. Yes my post was to stir up a debate and alot of hyperthetical situations. Improbable, but not impossible scenarios.

So you think Taker is done at Wrestlemania? You think Takers retirement should play second fiddle to Rock vs Cena?! Look for Jim Ross's take on the matter, he says exatcly the same. When Taker retires it will be a HUGE deal!

And as for your assesment of Shawn Michaels!? He got the big retirement storyline leading into Wrestlemania 26, he was the last match of the night. He got his moment in the ring with Taker (the hug), he got his final moment and spotlight with the fans in the ring!!! Then the next night on Raw he comes out and cuts a 20 minute 'final speech', Taker comes out and tips his hat, then Triple H comes out for hugs.

That isn't fanfare or a huge deal?! He didnt just ride off into the sunset quietly.

ok. First off, jericho and Christian already had a feud in the early 2000's with both guys fighting over trish and christian turning on Chris.
ANYWAY, heres who I think should end these guys.

Undertaker: HBK. Now, I now he already tried, But if you give him enough time, his money will run out and he'll want back in the WWE. Have their match at summerslam. So taker can leave with his streak, and HBK can rant about taking out "the dead man". As for current talent, I'd have to say Lesnar. He already beat Taker for the WWE title a while ago, so he can prove he has what it takes. Have lesnar win the title, then make it a title vs retirement match. taker loses because his latest wrestlemania opponent, who lost, attacked him and made him lose. Makes taker look the same and lesnar and the other guy stronger as well for taking out, "the dead man".

Kane: I can't really see anyone taking him out, maybe Barrett or ortan if the timing in right.

Big Show: oooooooooohhh geeeezzz. I have no idea. To be honest, I don't see him leaving until he's old or dead. But If it had to be someone, I'd have to say someone they bring him fresh off the indies and looks good and makes it believable.

triple H:???????????????????????I'm going to say, he leaves on his own terms. if not, I'll say Cena. WWE is still high on this guy and if the match was at mania I think it would draw money. Doesn't have to be a title match or anything.

Rey: Two words. CM PUNK. These two had a great feud and punk should look to getting revenge after rey made him shave off all his hair. So if WWE plays their cards right, we can make that match a " hair vs Retirement" match . Or they can play it as they are both faces with the same match and the lights go out, then rey is knocked out and punk pins him to win. Then someone attacks him and lays him out after. That would get punk into another feud after rey and make rey still a fan fave because he was cheated out of the win, and that's what the little kids like i guess.

Jericho: I see rey doing the job. have rey attack Chris because of his rants on punk's family being druggies and with is own drug past and friends like Eddie who died because of it, He takes a personal threat against him. Then they have a big match with punk at ringside, he causes Jericho to lose and the crowd loves it.

Mark Henry: I don't see anyone making him leave. The only way I can see him leaving is if he gets hurt, again, and decides to let his contract run out. If anyone made3 him leave, i'd say Sheamus.

Goldust: have no idea. Still have no idea. Why he is still there, idfk. If anyone, I'd say Del Rio. Just a guess and a random guy.

Taker- Plain & simple should be kane vs taker wm30 with them 2 shaking hands at the end of wm30 or similar to hhh & taker and they both retire then and taker bows out 22-0

I don't really care about the rest.

Hmm interesting topic. Let me first start out by saying that not all superstars need to be beaten to hang it up. Let them go out in a blaze of glory. Hell, why not even let some win the title in their last match before they retire? But anyways...

Undertaker- WWE has pretty much made it clear that Undertaker must be beaten at WrestleMania in order to retire. If anyone has the right to end Taker, I believe that one person is Kane. The storied past between them is amazing. Kane deserves to be the one to put his brother down.

Triple H- Like it was said above, Triple H will probably never fully retire. He will continue just like Vince did. It's that simple.

Big Show- Big show should be retired by somebody young and fresh. Plain and simple. Retiring show would be a good way to push a young superstar up even further.

Kane- This is obvious. Undertaker will retire Kane. Even if Taker retires first, or if Kane is the one to put Taker down, Taker will come back for one last match to "take his brother back to hell."

Rey Mysterio- Sin Cara seems like a good choice, but I think it needs to be a heel. If Sin Cara turned heel, maybe.

Jericho- I don't think we'll ever see a dubbed, "retirement" match for Y2J. I think he'll go out the way he did the last times. He'll be "injured" only to disappear. But who should do it? It should be an established superstar. Nobody young. Maybe Miz?

Henry- Nobody will ever retire Henry. He will go out when he wants. He'll leave when he's ready. No big sendoff.

Goldust- Cody Rhodes. No one else.

booker simple should be rhodes
regal easy I'd make it barrett after regal leading a team uk and barrett goes for full time power

triple H is there is a few choices hbk would be a good battle leading whos better effictivly hbk is out but would come back for 1 big pay off with his best mate and find out whos actually better maybe even get big johnny to screw him out the match also there is randy ex evolution member also former legend killer and could come back to tht angle

big show id consider maybe jack swagger he's a big guy and cant exactly retire show with a small guy

mark henry hmm maybe someone small he gets so angry he walks out makes to a good story

mysterio ... sin cara or hunico or alberto del rio but you already knew that

jericho ... miz or ziggy would be a good one or triple threat leading to maybe jericho winning and bowing out on a high as the awesome show off he is ensuring for future singles competition between miz and ziggler

goldust id love to see him beat cody and choose to walk away or beat cody in a ppv like summerslam then next day on raw american dream and cody destroy goldust

Taker & kane simple taker vs kane inferno match or buried alive match taker wins and paul barer comes out and suddenly lights go dimmed and then comes back up and and its just the traditional taker hat laying in middle of ring and then lights go down again and then with a lightening strike a taker re-encarnate is reborn

feel free to reply

Hmmm let me think....

Well first of all, one or 2 of these guys might not even have a proper last match sendoff (Mark Henry & Goldust), they could just quietly retire but probally not.

For Goldust....I see him maybe having a feud with Cody and having his final match with him at a PPV or something.

For Mark Henry....I would say Kane. Mark Henry injured Kane last year right? If not him then maybe Big Show.

For Triple H....It should be Shawn Michaels but since he is retired then I really don't know. Maybe Cena or CM Punk. Or Triple H and Kevin Nash can both have their last match together.

For Rey Mysterio....I have no idea. If Randy Orton is heel in the future then I would say him maybe. I really have no idea.

For Big Show....It should be Kane. If not then it could be Cena. This is another one that I don't know about.

For Chris Jericho....It should be CM Punk. Have them 2 put on another great match at some PPV to give Y2J a great sendoff.

For Kane....It should be Undertaker at WrestleMania, I know they have faced off twice there before but I really don't know who else should face him and to me Kane is one of the best ever and deserves to have a last match at WrestleMania. If not then maybe Summerslam. It should be a Buried Alive match where Undertaker wins by burying him alive and we never see Kane wrestle again.

For Undertaker....I have no idea because I don't know when he is retiring and I don't know when Kane will retire. I guess it would be nice to see Shawn Michaels come back one more time to face him at WrestleMania. It would be against the same guy that he promised his last match to so no problem there and both guys are from Texas so they would be retiring in their home state on the biggest stage in wrestling. Perfect ending.

Here are my picks:

Goldust

Nothing, he doesn't have enough value to have a farewell match at this stage.

Mark Henry

He keeps going as the monster that he has been for about a year now. I'd even go so far as to give him the title again so that he can put over a guy like Ryback strong at a PPV like Survivor Series. If Henry retires this year that's how I'd book him, and I'd book Ryback to beat him in under two minutes in his final match. I'm a Mark Henry fan, but this is how he should go out.

Triple H

I honestly don't see Triple H having a retirement match. He's going to be around into his old age, probably not wrestling but they wouldn't want to take away the idea that he won't. No point in him having a retirement match if his life is the WWE.

Rey Mysterio & Chris Jericho

I'd love to see him and Jericho have a One Last Time match at next year's Wrestlemania. Don't call it a retirement match, incase they want to come back again, but let it be known that both of them are leaving and let them put on a 20 minute match as a farewell

Big Show

I'd play up the fact he hasn't held the title significantly in almost a decade. Have him come close to winning at the Rumble, then let him win Elimination Chamber but have a guy like ADR snuff his dreams out at Mania and let Show retire after that.

Kane

This simply has to be the Undertaker. Let Taker finally do away with his demonic brother on PPV.

Undertaker

I think Undertaker should lose the Streak and he should lose it against Cena. Cena has done a lot at Wrestlemania, but I still feel like he's missing his Steve Austin locked in the Sharpshooter or Hogan slamming Andre legendary moment to put him up on the same level as Hogan, Rock, Austin and Andre as one of the greatest stars of all time. Defeating Taker at Wrestlemania would get that done

Undertaker in his last match he should face his brother Kane, I think their story would come full circle especially if Taker were to bow out, who better to take the torch than his own brother Kane especially since Kane will become the new monster of the WWE, Undertaker trying to get rid of his brother Kane only for Kane to be the one to get rid of his brother, it writes itself pretty much

As for Kane, who should he face in his last match, I would say obviously it has to be Taker because of their history

As for Big Show in his last match, I would say Brodus Clay should face him, setting up Brodus to become the new Giant of the WWE

For Rey Mysterio in his last match he needs to face Sin Cara, passing of the torch from one lucha libre to the next generation of lucha libre high-flying because it is obvious they are setting up Cara to be the new Rey

For Chris Jericho in his last match he needs to face someone who could actually benefit from retiring him, I would say the person who should face Jericho should be either Daniel Bryan, Christian, or Dolph Ziggler or even The Miz, I would say Miz because with Miz retiring Jericho, it would put him right back on the map

Triple H it is obvious he will never retire, he will be like Flair, not knowing when to hang it up, but if Triple H wants to retire from being an active wrestler, then his last match needs to be against HBK, that plain and simple, so then that way HHH can officially take over his new role of COO

Mark Henry as for who should face Henry in his last match, I would say it needs to be Ryback

And for Goldust, his brother Cody Rhodes, as simple as that

Undertaker - Gonna have to say Cena at Wrestlemania. They could work out so many angles for that storyline. What if Cena does whatever it takes to beat Taker but goes to far maybe and it turns him heel.(no HBK to stop him)
On the other hand I wouldnt mind Taker keepin the streak and Ted Dibiase pays someone or beats Taker maybe with the help of his father at Survivor Series since that is where all started. Maybe pays off Kane.

HHH - I would of liked to see where the Punk feud would of ended up. But I dont think he'll retire anytime soon. He'll still do select apperaces.

Rey Mysterio - I can honestly tell you I dont care. he just needs to retire.

Big Show - Maybe Orton. He can be a Giant Killer instead. Other then that I dont know. Maybe a up and commer.

Kane - I could see Taker retiring Kane.

Mark Henry - I dont think I would care if he had a "retirement match". I mean he is ok, but a whole storyline if I win you leave. Not interesting.

Goldust - I would like him to have his last match with Cody but as Dustin not Godust

Undertaker - I purposely left Taker and Kane until the end as I have been pondering the concept of Brother Vs. Brother match for these two, but i feel it has been done to death, Taker Vs. Kane must have happened at least 15 times now at a PPV, (i aint too sure about exact numbers but it feels that many), so for taker i feel like someone with a point to prove, and maybe kickstart his career once more would be the Miz, he is unbeaten at WM aswell, and could maybe have a crack at it at WM30 and leave Taker 21-1. thus the miz can have a storied career, attempting to beat Takers streak but as a heel who holds titles and defends them successfully at 'Mania each year but falls short eventually.

Triple H - HHH will be around for a long time, with him being C.O.O. of WWE, so it is a tricky one, but if he did have one, I would like to say Sheamus as he is similar in style and therefore would maybe get sheamus back to his badass heel persona of kicking anyone's ass no matter who it would be.

Kane - Now, as for Kane, who could possibly benefit from doing battle with Kane, according to WWE recently, it is wrestlers who are currently already over with the fans (Cena and Orton), so lets go with a different view on this, lets see, another wrestler who is stumbling at the final hurdle of making it big time is Mr. Ziggles, Aka Dolph Ziggler, and also R-Truth, but I aint sure how this would work, how could Kane possibly get into a feud with Truth or Ziggler, so yeah, i'm at a loss for that one, but Kane could do these guy a favour or two and get them into the big time, especially if it is the old school Big Red Machine who kicks everyones ass and is practically unstoppable.

Rey Mysterio - now everyone is mentioning sin cara for this, for the mask vs mask match, but i feel Alberto Del Rio would be a much better bet, he seems to have lost momentum in the WWE and for him to feud with Rey again would be a great way of getting him back to being a smug heel who thinks he is better than everyone else on the roster and deserves to be there because of his riches.

Chris Jericho - there are 3 potential candidates for this match, CM Punk, D-Bry or the Miz, i personally would like to see D-Bry fight Y2J in his final fight, i imagine that this would send D-Bry into a world of his own, imagine D-Bry chanting YES!! whilst proclaiming he is the best in the world now, i imagine you see this as a rehash of CM punk vs Y2J, but this would send D-Bry, now as World Heavyweight Champ, into a feud with Punk, still WWE Champ,

Mark Henry - I feel this should be a toss up between Mason Riley and Ryback, now some people may call me crazy, but with kane, big show and henry all getting on, we need a new powerhouse who will destroy all comers, and who could do with a push than these two "newbies" to the WWE, obviously Ryan has been here before with the new nexus and Ryback with the Nexus, but they were backseat members, a side note for the main event of Punk and Barrett respectively, whereas now they could be thrust into the limelight, as the man to stop the Worlds Strongest Man, and become a Goldberg/batista like figure of a Face who destroys people easily. I would prefer Ryan to do this job of putting away Henry.

Big Show - Ryback or Ryan again, whoever doesnt destroy henry should get to destroy Big Show and become a powerhouse heel, as Brock aint gonna be around full time and Tensai isnt garnering the heat WWE expected him to, who else but a new guy could really do this job, i feel that the big show is one of the most likeable wrestlers around today, okay so he has been a comedy act at times, but his records speak for itself, WWE champ, Tag team championships, IC title, US title, so lets just say he is still the happy go lucky giant that can knock a man out with one punch, wouldnt it be something to see a man take a knockout punch, get back up and then destroy the big show, and that is what you would have with Ryback in this one, it would have people wondering, if he ended the big show, who can actually stop him.

Goldust - Cody Rhodes is the obvious choice for this one, Brother Vs. Brother which i'm sure many younger fans wouldnt have known about the link between the two until early 2012, it would be a great way for them to end Goldie's career and maybe kickstart Cody into the main event, However for this to happen they do need to make Goldust relevant again, maybe give him a run as IC or US champ.

Booker T - I dunno who could be Booker T's last match, as i expect him to wrestle randomly throughout his commentating career, like Lawler does, he is a legend in wrestling, from his tag team days with the harlem heat to being the 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time, 5 time WCW champion and probably deserves one big send off match, perhaps against a young upstart who needs a push, maybe a NXT talent. So for this one i am gonna go with a choice that may shock people, but Derrick Bateman, he is a very good wrestler who just needs a chance to shine, and what better than calling out Booker, perhaps saying how booker lives in the past and that he is the future, etc, etc, booker claims he isnt a wrestler no more until he gets riled up enough to try shut up this wannabe, but Bateman wins and can go on to bigger and better things.

William Regal - Wade Barrett, pure and simple, Englishman vs Englishman, host it in Manchester MEN Arena aswell and you have a perfect match-up for the brilliant Regal, also i believe Barrett has huge Respect for Regal and would be a huge match for the english WWE fans, where both men have huge fan bases.

Pretty much agree with the OP here, but the one that I really want to comment on is Taker and Kane. I can't see any other way for them to go out except for by the hands of each other. It's possible Taker could be done, but I really see him getting the big send off he deserves, and hope it ends with a match with Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back