• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the greatest wrestler to have never won the WWF/E Title?

Chill

Championship Contender
After giving this a lot of thought, I eventually decided upon Mr.Perfect. I think Henning would have made a tremendous champion. He certainly had the skills, personality and general ability to hold the promotion's main title imo. He may not have been a Bret Hart or Hulk Hogan in terms of popularity or ability to shift merchandise and so on but there is, I think, no denying that he was one of the best in the ring. Perhaps what held him back was the amount of stars WWE had during the period he worked for them/or was in his prime but even so there could have been many worse choices than a Mr.Perfect title reign. I won't go on any more listing his credentials because there has been a recent discussion on that but yeh, Henning would be my pick nonetheless.

Who is yours??

For me, it is a tie between Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude. Rude would have been a great heel champion as well. He was arogant and full of himself and would have drove the fans nuts as champion. They would have tuned in hoping to see him lose the belt.

I think this is a rather easy question and surprised no one said it yet....

he never won it because he has never been in WWF/E

Sting....there is no doubting this guys skills, very good in the ring and on the mic, helped carry WCW and TNA multiple times

Ted Diebasi by far was the best heel in history and had NO tittle run. Roddy Pipper is a good one as well. these two knew how to get the crowds attention. its a shame they will never have that chance to be on the list of many greats who are great in their own way.

Rude, Henning, Million Dollar Man, all have a very good arguments, but I would have to go with Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. His match with Savage for the IC title was one of the top 5 matches ever. How good would Savage vs Steamboat II been if the WWF title was on the line?

How about Jake the Snake. He was always in some sort of relevant feud and was very over with the crowd. Crack probably didn't help. He's worth mentioning.

cool thread. I agree with the person who said razor, if he didnt go to wcw he would def get at least one reign. how bout owen hart. his cage match with bret was a classic and showed he could be a main event type guy and when everyone left and he had his babyface black hart gimmick fueding with dx i really thought he would get a surprise win over hbk for the belt. one would think if things turned out different he maybe would have gotten the belt somewhere down the line.

I would have to go with Steamboat on this one. I only wish i could remember watching him wrestle. He was a performer. God bless the man that invented videos so that i could appreciate his craft inside the ring. STEAMBOAT vs. SAVAGE : enough said

It has to be Curt Hennig as he was a great athlete and excellent in the ring. But I would personally like to have seen Scott Hall get a Heavyweight Title. He was great on the mic and had a great arsenal of moves in the ring. He was my favorite so it is bias, if not Hennig not being a Heavyweight title holder is a crime. On a side note the person who above mention Debiase makes a great point he was a great heel. Also hats of to this thread solid work....

Scott Hall (a.k.a Razor Ramon) is as overrated as overrated can be. He was a fine mid-carder but nothing more or nothing less. He never got over all by himself. He was over because of who he was associated with. I know there's people that liked Scott Hall in the World Wrestling Federation and WCW and I don't mean to offend any of his fans but people talk about his greatness all the times like it's a known fact. If it was a known fact then how come I have never seen it?

Anyways I think someone who was great and never got won the big one in the World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment was "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. He was one of the greatest heels to ever step in the squared circle. He was great at what he did and it was so hard to love him because you loved to hate him. He had some great heel tactics and he always garnered great amounts of heat for them. I think he deserved to at least hold the belt for a week or a couple of weeks for being so great at what he did which was being a true heel.

Most definetly Razor Ramon without a doubt he was a great intercontinetal champ and should of got a run at the wwe championship.

Sting. The Stinger is the best to never wrestle for the WWE or to not have the privlidge of being under Vince's thumb.

As a huge Razor Ramon mark, I will concede that he doesn't exactly qualify as the "greatest" of all time not to win the WWF/E title (maybe he can be in a "greatest IC Champs" thread).... I will have to go with Rick Rude. He had crazy heat, his promos were insane, we was great in the ring, and he legitamately knocked out that bitch Ultimate Warrior. So yea, the Ravishing One.

owen hart i mean he wasnt the greatest to not win the title but this guy was a hard worker and had a great rivalry with his brother who was a champion several times just imagine the matchs they could of had against each other for the wwf title ??

Honorable mention should go to Roddy Piper- Hogan chasing Piper for the title would have been fun. Piper having the the mic and gold over his shoulder to talk about would have been riotous against hogan and his popularity.

Dustin Rhodes/Goldust

This guy is one of the purest wrestlers to step in the ring. I cant say that I am 100% for his gimmick but come on, when it comes to pure wrestling ability this guy has it all.

When I was younger I was all for watching the guys like Sting, Bret, Owen Hart, Shawn Micheals, then comes along Goldust, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesner Shelton Benjamin, John Morrison.

I love watching wrestling because of wrestling, call me stupid but I serioulsy turn it off everytime woman wrestling come on because Vince has made them a piece of meet. It is wonderful eye candy but it isnt WRESTLING.

Goldust for one has character hell he is a Gay gold suit croutch grabbing kissing full how can that not build your character, then in TNA he was Black Reign. Cody has the chance to be good other than his Lisps boithers me. not saying that is wrong but weird. I watched Goldust last night on raw and really thought that man this guy no matter whats he does gets screwed out of doing somthing good.

go ahead and rip my head off which is fine with me but always remember this is an opinion based board.

One that really deserved it and never reciecved was Bam Bam Bigalow... that guy was a great wrestler and a great performer on the mic as well.... he could carry any match he was in.... also I think he was only of the only guys that people enjoyed watching on a regular basis......

there are many others that come 2 mind aswell... jake roberts.... Curt Henning....Rick Rude.....and iam sure there are others...

But if u ever think about Bam Bam Bigalow that guy had it all, and did carry different companies in their time of need....

thats my opinion.... luv to hear what people think about it

Either Rude or Piper. Both were GREAT heels and deserved a shot to run with the ball. I really thought Rude was going to get the belt at one time.

Hard to pick just one and there's been some great names listed so far but I would have to add Big Boss Man and Hardcore Holly to the list. Boss Man came close with his feud with Big Show but Holly never even got a shot at Main Eventing and that's a shame. He's been a consistently great worker, had top notch mic work, and was over with the crowd as either a heel or face. WWE seems ready to push mid-carders like Miz, MVP, and Morrison to the top so I don't see Holly never got a chance.

Honorable mention should go to Roddy Piper- Hogan chasing Piper for the title would have been fun. Piper having the the mic and gold over his shoulder to talk about would have been riotous against hogan and his popularity.

'Bout time someone said it, Jesus.

While Mr. Perfect was awesome and it's a shame he never won a World Title, Roddy Piper is the greatest heel of all time. Of course the answer is him. In fact, I strongly believe that Wrestlemania 1 would've done even better if Roddy Piper was champion, going up against Hogan one-on-one. Could you imagine Piper losing the WWF Title to Hulk Hogan during that time? The fucking place would've exploded, even more so then when Hogan defeated Sheiky Baby for it, way more in fact.

Because Piper was able to make people legitimately hate him, he was a huge reason why Wrestlemania 1 was such a success, and in my opinion, the fact that a man with that accomplishment was never able to get a World Title around his waste is a true shame.

I'm probably a little biased here (being a mega-mark for the guy and all), but I'm a little sad nobodies mentioned the greatest athelete to come from Cincy since Pete Rose: Brian Pillman.

He was crazy over in all 3 of the "major" Promotions of the 90's (WWF, WCW, ECW), was gold on the mic, and one of the best high flyers of all time. Granted, he wasn't the biggest dog in the yard, but, he was solid in the ring. Hell, he was important enough, the HWA did a yearly benefit show, for his kids and widow, with participation from stars of ALL 3 PROMOTIONS. I don't think Terry Funk got that for his "Retirement Show" featured in Beyond the Mat.

Honourable Mention goes to:

Rodney the Piper, Greg Valentine, and Owen Hart.

but Holly never even got a shot at Main Eventing and that's a shame. He's been a consistently great worker, had top notch mic work, and was over with the crowd as either a heel or face. WWE seems ready to push mid-carders like Miz, MVP, and Morrison to the top so I don't see Holly never got a chance.

Holly had a few months long feud with Brock Lesnar. For the most part, people thought Holly being in the main event was a joke, which I agree. Holly was the perfect lowcarder to work with new stars. He was decent enough in the ring (Note: I didn't say good or great, but he at least knew what he was doing) and at times had some fans. However, there's nothing about Holly that would make the masses want to spend money to see him on PPV.

However, if you want to blame anyone for Holly not being a full time main eventer, blame Jericho, Angle and the Radicalz. Holly was pushed well in 1999, but once the six joined the WWE, his push dried up.

Would have to agree with those saying Piper. One of the things I always hated about WM1 was that there is no title match, and as such it could have been so much better if it had just been Piper-Hogan for the strap.

Also bugs me that they did a non-title match that Piper won at Starrcade 96. This was when WCW was on top as well, what a joke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back