• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the first heel you remember rooting for?

For me it was The Rock when he was peaking with the Nation and then again whenever he turned heel. After that it was Kurt Angle and JBL during his feud with Cena.

Like Messiah, it was Yokozuna, he had that agility for a big man that I couldn't help but notice as a kid, and he didn't have to say anything to be over as a heel because Mr Fuji and Jim Cornette took care of that. Now as I am older, I re watch some of the shows from back then, and there is another heel I love, IRS. I just love the way the character was portrayed by Mike Rotunda, the same way JBL played heel when he was champion

For me it's HBK. I loved the Rockers and they are still my favorite team ever. When they split up I was definitely on Marty's side and didn't like HBK but after a year or so I became a huge fan of his. He gradually became my favorite and is still my favorite of all time. I think it was a combination of how cocky and dicky he was and me being around 15 and starting to think that kind of thing was cool. He was also starting to really be on fire around them and was having great matches all the time.

For me, its HBK. Was a fan of the Rockers, and when he turned on Janetty i thought it was the coolest thing ever and he was the coolest guy ever, and decided i'd be a fan of Shawn Michaels for life. I was just 5 years old and making such important decisions.

Randy Savage. I thought he was cool during his feud with Steamboat. But I fell in love with him during his face run. Once the Mega Powers exploded, I backed Savage 100%. I started to hate Hogan and have ever since.

Triple H. The greatest heel of all time.

I CAN NOT argue with that answer.

I grew up watching World Class, so there you HAD to root for the heels, because the Von Erichs were just annoying since you knew they were going to win (and none of them, other than David, could cut a promo to save their lives). So first there was Kabuki, and then absolutely my favorite heels The Freebirds. A bit after that it was awesome watching Chris Adams & Gino Hernandez.

But whether in World Class, NWA, WCW, or anywhere else -- it was always RIC FLAIR. Slick Ric, greatest heel ever. Stone Cold & The Rock came close, but Ric Flair was and still is the standard.

In WWF it was definitely Randy Savage. Then Jake the Snake Roberts. Honestly, though, and I think many diehards would agree with this -- if you watched WWF in the 80s, I think a LOT of people rooted for WHOEVER was the bad guy, simply because they were so tired of Hogan beating everyone who Vince fed him. It got to the point where you would groan when an awesome worker finally defected to WWF because you knew ultimately nobody would beat Hogan, Vince wouldn't allow it.

Demolition. Ax & Smash!

They are what got me hooked on wrestling in 1988. Without them I probably never would have become a fan. I have no idea what it was that drew me to them but I liked them from the moment I saw them. The music, the paint, the masks, the heelish behaviour, everything! I liked the villians right from the start and never changed. In fact the only times I ever cheered for faces were when Demolition turned face in 1989 for about a year.

After Demolition left, I had a long string of heels that followed in their footsteps such as Repo Man, evil Doink, Shawn Michaels and Owen Hart circa 1994, and Hart Foundation 1997. But no one ever came close to Demolition.

For me it was Shawn Michaels. I loved the barber shop angle when he threw Marty through the glass. I started to root for him after that but I wasnt a full out fan. I remember turning on wrestling challenge and hearing Bret kept the title against Shawn at SurSer92, I was glad but thought it would be kind of cool if Shawn won. I became a full out Fan in 93, I was glad when Janetty beat him for the IC title but couldn't wait for him to get the title back. From then on Shawn was in my top 2 (behind Bret). In 95, right around the time of the Rumble Shawn became my favorite and has been ever since.

Jericho was the first heel I rooted for as a "smart" fan. I loved his debut, then I became a Kurt Angle fan and rooted for all the heels in 99/00. 2001 invasion I started rooting for faces again.

As a 16 year old more than one heel springs to mind around the same time period 2008. One would have to be Chris Jericho in 2008/09 in his feud with Shawn Michaels. Not only his wrestling skills and experience, the charisma but also his ability on the mic made him in my view an excellent heel even from a young age.
Although the thread seems to be WWE related I would like to add a TNA heel in Kurt Angle, during his time in the Main Event Mafia he seemed untouchable, a dominant figure, one of the best wrestlers around at the time with his heel character the ruthless streak became impressive to watch and it made me want to support him even when he was feuding with AJ Styles, Samoa Joe etc.

I started watching wrestling in '94 and I was pretty much stuck on the status quo as far as cheering for faces and booing the heels. So its fairly easy for me to remember the first heel I cheered for and that was the Rock circa late '98 to mid '99.

I mean come on, Corporate Rock was so entertaining that it was impossible not to cheer him. This was when he was "spinning nursery rhymes", as Austin would say. You know: Know your role and shut your mouth, lay the smackdown, drag your candy ass up Know Your Role BLVD, hang that right onto Jabroni DR, and proceed to checking your candy ass into the Smackdown Hotel. Not to mention this is when he started saying and the Rock means, the Rock says, shine it up real nice turn that sum bitch side ways, and this is not sing a long with the Rock. He cut some classic promos during this time. My favorite was: "The Rock has a nursery rhyme for you Stone Cold and it goes like this, Mary had a little lamb. Well I'll tell you what piss on the lamb, piss on Mary, and piss on you because the Rock's gonna out there tonight a do what he does best and that's lay the smackdown on your rudy poo candy(doesn't finish because the fans sing a long). Hey don't do it because the Rock guaran-damn-tees to prove to you, you, this goof holding the camera, this chick gawking at the Rock, he's gonna prove to the millions and millions of the Rock's fans exactly why the Rock is the great one, exactly why the Rock is the chosen one, and exactly why beyond a shadow of a doubt the Rock is the best damn WWF Champ there ever was. If you smell(interrupted by the fans again). Uh huh Philly this ain't sing a long with the champ. If you smell la la la la la what the Rock....... is......... cooking!" Best damn promo ever. Look it up on YouTube. Its called why the Rock is the great one.

All in all, the first heel I remember rooting for was Gangrel. I started watching wrestling when I was 5 at the apex of the Attitude Era (1999). I was always in awe of this mystical character. The music, the lights, the bloodbath, the entrance; how could you possibly hate this cat?! Not mention how viscious he was in the ring. He always brought an intense ring presence that made him look like he was menacingly trying to hurt his opponent. He wasn't your classic heel in the sense of showing off or being cowardly, just that badass heel that simply couldn't hate.

I started watching in 1990, and was immediately wowed by Earthquake. Unexpectedly athletic for a large man, and could actually go, with a nice repertoire of moves. Plus a finisher that (at the time) genuinely looked like it would finish someone off.

It seems like a popular answer but mine is Triple H. Now I might have rooted for The Rock at some point during the late 90's/early 2000's but I can't remember that well. Anyway, he was babyface at some point in the era.

Triple H, even from those days, was just my guy. Probably my favourite wrestler of all time and that stated way back when he was a heel. Indeed, when he returned in 2002 as a babyface he was already my favourite wrestler and that theme continued thereafter. I'd say his days in Evolution is where I truly remember wanting him to win all his matches (except from when he wrestled Benoit.) It didn't matter if is was Jericho, Goldberg, Kane, Michaels, Orton or Batista; Triple H was the guy I rooted for.

My earlies wrestling memories are during the Attitude Era which was generally a time where the good guy/bad guy dynamic was thrown out. I can't remember hating a heel because of their character traits but Triple H was certainly the first heel I rooted for.

HBK, Shawn Michaels, When he kicked Marty Jannetty thru the Barber shop window. Most epic Moment of WWE History.

For me it was Ravishing Rick Rude. He made everyone hate him but was darn near untouchable in the ring. I loved how he would put the female valet of who he was fighting on his tights and drive them crazy.

For me it was Ravishing Rick Rude. He made everyone hate him but was darn near untouchable in the ring. I loved how he would put the female valet of who he was fighting on his tights and drive them crazy.

Good call. I Forgot about Rude. I rooted for him in his mid 90s WCW run. He was an awesome heel and great in the ring.

Also I'll add in the Hollywood Blondes being the first heel tag team I rooted for.

Rowdy Roddy Piper. I still liked Hogan too, but Piper was just more fun. I started watching during the Rock N Wrestling days and Piper was basically the highlight of that. I also liked King Kong Bundy a lot.

100 % Van Vader . He was this brutalising big masked wrestler when he stormed into WCW. His destruction of no names is legendary. He used to have this huge, black entrance mask that shot big fingers of steam out of the shoulders...awesome.

Before, I had enjoyed matches with heels...Rude, Macho, Perfect and the bunch...but never truly got behind a heel until Vader. When he beat Sting clean with a big powerbomb for the Heavyweight Championship I cheered loud. Van Vader was used as a big super monster in WCW.....

....then he moved to WWF. They screwed up his use in WWF and for all that is unholy, they eventually turned him into a fucking FACE ! Then he started losing matches to guys like Bradshaw and soon fell off the map.

Muhammad Hassan and Carlito Caribbean Cool.

Both debuted during my teenage years actually.
Being a muslim, Hassan's message made him more of a face than a heel to me in terms of the original message he brought before he was made into a run of the mill "terrorist" guy.

Being from the Caribbean, Carlito with his apple spitting scthick did seem quite cool in how he went about his business. It was also quite fascinating when he beat Thug Cena for the US title on his debut.

Hands down for me was the Hot Rod, Rowdy Roddy Piper. He was off the charts intense at the height of Hulkamania. He also provided one of the biggest holy shit moments for me, when he smashed Snuka in the head with the coconut.
Close second was Nikita Koloff over in the NWA. He was physically imposing and had a very intense stare. He had a real presence, playing his heel Russian character to perfection.

Shawn Michaels.

The very day of the Barber Shop split with Marty.
I liked The Rockers and here was Shawn looking cool with the leather jacket and here was Marty just looking like a regular guy. As a kid their look made a difference for me so when Shawn put Marty through the glass I sided with Shawn.

He quickly became my favorite singles wrestler because of his whole persona. I loved it. He's still my all time favorite wrestler.

The first heels I remember cheering for were Curt Henning & The Midnight Express with Jim Cornette. I always been a stickler for in ring wrestling skills. That's why I liked Henning, at the time I had gotten to the age where I was beginning to go against the grain, therefore, I disliked Hulk Hogan. I wanted Curt to beat him so badly. I also couldn't stand Bret Hart cause I thought he was so generic. Curt was the perfect foil for them both.
As far as the Midnight Express, I just loved tag team wrestling and I think they were one of the best during the 80's. They were technical in the ring, high fly, had a manager who was entertaining, and they had showman ship in the ring. Plus, I didn't like their goody two shoes rivals such as the Rock n Roll Express and the Fantastics. I always wonder why they never get the recognition they deserve as a legendary tag team.
My honorable mentions are Bad News Brown, Rick Rude, and Steven Regal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back