• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Is Better For Their Company?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
CM Punk
cmpunk.jpg

CM Punk has had numerous title reigns, and is one of the crowd's favorite wrestlers. His reign with the title is considered a flop, as was his run with the tag title. But, he had a decent run as IC champ, and wasn't bad as ECW champ. He's had some short lived feuds, but they worked for what they were. His matches are fun to watch also.

He's always in the picture for a title, and seems to always be just one step from the top. I'd consider him a mid-carder right now, but he's a top mid-carder, and is getting a good amount of success in a major company.

Samoa Joe
SamoaJoe4.png

Samoa Joe also burst onto the scene as an indy darling. He fared well in the X Division, and had a ton of great matches. He's done well at the top also. His first reign with the title was fairly long, but always seemed to be second guessed by the bookers. He constantly has Nash looking over his shoulder, and the Angle wasn't quite what it could have been. He's had some decent feuds, but all of his success is coming in the "B" company.

Overall, I think Samoa Joe is better for TNA, than CM Punk is for the WWE. He's had success at the top of his company, even if it does play second fiddle to the WWE. Punk's reign, even if it was a success, will always be viewed as a mistake by most, so it couldn't have worked better than anything Joe did with the TNA title. While Punk made the IC title seem relevant again, it was only for a brief while. Samoa Joe was the mid-card champ in TNA, when the X Division title still meant something, and was often said to be the top title in the brand. He also did it for longer than Punk did with the IC title.

No matter how you cut it, being a top-tier wrestler on the "B" show, is always better than being a mid-carder on the "A" show.

I'll say Punk is better for the WWE. He has the straight edge superstar gimmick and he wouldn't drink the alchohol that JBL tried to give him. That's a good character to have in the WWE since it's focusing on being a PG, family program. Parents and caregivers would be sceptical of pro wrestling being all about violence and trash talking but I'm sure if they were to turn on the TVs and see a fairly normal sized wrestler who refuses to drink alchohol or take illegal drugs and say his faveourite drink is Pepsi, they wouldn't mind it as much. Punk provides WWE with a positive, family friendly image which is important for WWE to have.

Punk provides WWE with a positive, family friendly image which is important for WWE to have.

I thought about this. And, yes, Punk is the squeaky clean guy that the WWE is looking for, and it's probably the reason he's gotten a push in the first place. He's a safe bet. A much safer bet than Ken Kennedy, Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, or Umaga.

But, when people tune in to see their hero on TV, they're going to realize that while he is in fact straight edge, he doesn't have the look that a lot of parents would like for their kids. I'm not saying Joe is any better. I'd hope parents don't want their kids looking like that. But, the common fan is going to have issues with believing he's straight edge because (in their ignorant minds), he's covered in tattoos, and is super skinny, and fits a number of stereotypes that they have set in their mind. Do I agree? No. But, his look will probably cancel out the image.

While I am a Punk fan, Joe is definitely better in the ring. At least at this point. Even if it is due to booking, it's hard to deny. Joe is a big guy, but he can move around the ring, and was part of the reason the X Division picked up the slogan of "It's not about weight limits. It's about no limits." He's also a phenomenal mat wrestler, and this is where he beats out Punk in my eyes. Punk has some great kicks, but Joe has the same style. I'd also choose the Muscle Buster as a finisher over the GTS.

Joe is FAR more valuble to TNA than Punk is to WWE, period. Joe came into TNA as a monster, an absalute machine and although he has cooled off he is still a main event draw and one of the biggest stars in the company, TNA woul be hurting without Joe in the main event scene. Even though Joe has been out of the picture as of late, TNA fans know he is sill around and about to come back to challenge Stiener, but if he left TNA than so would some TNA fans. CM Punk isn't even in the top 10 in WWE and if he left the company it wouldn't really hurt them much, he really is just about as important as an MVP or a Shelton, popular but minimal draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back