• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Has Seen Their Final Wrestlemania Main Event?

CyDeez

Big Nasty
So I just read and commented on a thread about "Who will be the next star to Main Event a Wrestlemania for his first time"?

It got me thinking... Which stars that have Main Evented Wrestlemania, have done it for the last time? I think HBK should be stricken from your answers because he is officially retired. Also, Bret Hart isn't considered an active wrestler.

So my question in full is....

Which WWE Superstar currently wrestling actively, that has Main Evented a Wrestlemania (In The Final Match), will never hit that milestone again?

Is it Edge, Cena, Orton, Triple H, Undertaker, Jericho? Or someone else?

I am going to go with Chris Jericho. I think he will be given one of The World Titles, once or twice more in his career. But, I do not ever see him being in The Main Event at Wrestlemania ever again.

I wanted to keep this a Current WWE Superstar. Because TNA has a few guys that have been in The WM Main Event and it is obvious they never will again. Guys like, Kevin Nash, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair.

I'm going to say Edge. I personally don't think we'll ever see him in a Main Event again. Edge's best days are behind him. That to me is a fact. His gimmick is stale, he gets injured at an alarming rate and his in-ring work has decreased in quality since his return from injury. I don't think Vince will have the confidence to put Edge in the main event, unless he improves his durability and adopts a new gimmick or revamps his current one.

I actually don't see Edge winning very many more World Titles and really not very many more World Title feuds, let alone a WrestleMania main event. Edge has had a very good career but to me he'll never be as good as he once was. He's over the hill; it's just a matter of when he comes down to the bottom of it.

Dude, no way Y2J, he is the best on the roster right now beside taker, you're dreaming dude. Edge has seen his last main event, and will be happily retiring in about a year or two.

I have to go with Y2J as well. I just don't see the WWE giving Y2J a main event spot when they're pushing their young guys so much. He's still a great talent, one of the best the WWE has but I just don't see them putting him as the headliner ever again.

Depends what you mean by Main Event, one of the top three matches (like Cena/Batista. HBK/Taker and Edge/Jericho were all conisdered main events) or the final match on the card, I assume you mean the final match so if that is the case then I (sadly) think it will be Jericho. He has only main evented one WM in the first place and I dont see him doing it again as at this point he is basically a jobber to the stars also he is 39 so he only has afew years left to do it.

For me it comes down to HHH, Y2J, or Edge. I guess I can eliminate HHH due to him getting thrown into the main event for no reason, but still, those injuries may put a damper on his chances of main eventing a Mania.

I can eliminate Y2J as well, just due to the fact that he may challenge Taker at WM 27. If he doesn't do that though, he probably won't.

But I can definitely say that Edge will NOT main event a Wrestlemania ever again. All of those injuries have taken away any great wrestling abilities he had. I loved him while he was a mid carder, but he's just stale as shit now. I think it was Coco who said that the only way Edge can survive in a main event match is if he has John Cena holding his hand the whole time. And the Rated R gimmick is just fail now, and the "Ultimate Opportunist" and "Master Psychologist" bullshit is even worse. Even if WWE finally pulls the trigger on a Edge/Christian feud, that would not be able to main event a Wrestlemania.

Dude, no way Y2J, he is the best on the roster right now beside taker, you're dreaming dude. Edge has seen his last main event, and will be happily retiring in about a year or two.

Dreaming? Hardly. I am not saying Jericho isn't awesome. He isn't Y2J anymore either. Move out of the past!

I said he will probably get the title 1 or 2 more times. I am in no way saying he is done. While I agree it could be Edge, and might be. I think Jericho has Main Evented his last Mania as well. He will be around and relevant for quite awhile still. But, at the biggest show of them all, he won't be considered a go to option really anymore to Main Event it. To attract the most buzz, you put the best guys in the Main Event at the time. Orton and Cena will be around a long time. Plus a couple new guys will be soon, and some already are, in the picture now! Which excludes certain guys. No matter how great they are. Jericho is one of them for sure!

I'm going to say Rey Mysterio. Partly because he is too old, partly because injuries mean he is not as good in the ring as he once was. But mainly because HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE DONE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

I'm going to say Rey Mysterio. Partly because he is too old, partly because injuries mean he is not as good in the ring as he once was. But mainly because HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE DONE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

I thought about Rey. But technically he has never been in the "Main Event" of Wrestlemania. He fought for and WON The World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania, but it was not the final match or TRUE Main Event. That year John Cena Vs. Triple H was the final match! So it kind of excludes Rey from this question.

I wish I could say Undertaker, because frankly this whole streak business bores the shit out of me (HBK should have ended it, retiring both of them in my view), though sadly it's likely Undies will headline at least one more (though I think he ought to have retired long ago).

I think I'll have to say Edge though. He's pretty banged up and seems to have really lost a step since his most recent injury return. I think Jericho is the best he's ever been and could easily headline 2 or 3 more Manias putting over the next group of legends. Cena and Orton will both be a permanent fixture at the Grandaddy of them all for about another decade or so and Triple H is probably gonna se one or two more Mania main events, if he's healthy.

Honestly, I'm going to have to say Edge. For starters, he's had some really serious injuries in the past and has main evented multiple Wrestlemania's before. He's been a great champion and a great performer, but I really don't see him being in another Wrestlemania main event picture.

With WWE's current development of younger superstars at the moment, I could probably add more to the list along with Edge. I'm hoping Kane goes into the main event at Wrestlemania 27 against The Undertaker for the World Championship. If he does do that, I think that'll be both Kane and Undertaker's final Wrestlemania main events.

The only person currently on the roster who I really feel for 100% certain will never be in a Wrestlemania main event again would have to be The Big Show. He was in the main event at Wrestlemania 2000 (16), but it was a four-way elimination match so there were 3 other people invloved (HHH, Rock, and Foley.) Considering that it has been 10 years since his only WM main event, and he hasnt been the WWE champ in 8 years I cant imagine that he will ever main event again.
Although I do think it is unlikely that they will, I can see Edge or Y2J possibly working their way into 1 more. I would be shocked if HHH didnt end up in another main event, and at the very least I would think that the Undertakers last match would be in the main event at WM. And of course I think there is no chance that either Cena or Orton wont be in the main event at a WM barring some sort of career ending injury or something. And I am pretty sure that is everyone who is still on the Roster that has main evented WM.

Since nobody's mentioned him, allow me to give the EASIEST PICK OF THEM ALL:

The Big Show! He was in a 4-way with HHH, Rock, and Foley in the Main Event of WM 2000. Even if he became the top dog on Smackdown, there's no way anything he'd be involved in would generate enough heat to beat out the top storyline on RAW and be worthy of the Main Event of Wrestlemania.

If you could bet on this, Vegas would take Big Show's odds off the board.

I'd have to say Edge as well. There's no doubt injuries have taken a toll on him, and he's not the same as he once was. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win a world title again. Maybe even wrestle for it at Wrestlemania, but not in the final match.

I doubt Jericho will headline Wrestlemania again either, but he's in way better shape than Edge. If given the right circumstance they could possibly give him the final match maybe in his final match.

If talking about the last match competitors my picks are The Big Show, Edge, possibly Chris Jericho, and maybe Triple H as these 4 I think are done w/ that unless Vince surprises us.
But if your talking advertised main events as only the WWE and Vince knows that day what the final match is then I have to go w/ Chavo Guerrero, Jr; Rey Mysterio, Jr.; Kane; Ricky Steamboat (is a legend who wrestles occasionally for Vince when needed to); and The Boss himself Vince.

Ok, I thought I'd take a few minutes to actually do the research. These are the people currently on the roster who have main evented a Wrestlemania (meaning the very last match):

Undertaker (2010, 2008, 1997)
Triple H (2009, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2000)
Randy Orton (2009)
Edge (2008)
John Cena (2007, 2006)
Chris Jericho (2002)
Big Show (2000)
Bret Hart (1996, 1994, 1993)

So that is 8 people. Obviously Bret Hart won't be in another main event. I agree with everyone on Jericho and Edge. And definately Big Show. The other 4, I could realistically see them main eventing Wrestlemania again.

The answer is simple..EDGE. He is getting to old and has to many injuries lately that have been really close together. I can see jericho doing it once or twice more just to get one of the younger guys over as the next breakout star. What better way to launch a young guys career than by having him beat arguably the best wrestler on the roster and in the world today.

The Big Show! He was in a 4-way with HHH, Rock, and Foley in the Main Event of WM 2000. Even if he became the top dog on Smackdown, there's no way anything he'd be involved in would generate enough heat to beat out the top storyline on RAW and be worthy of the Main Event of Wrestlemania.

When I saw the OP question, Big Show was the first one that came to my mind. I have never liked the Big Show at all. I have always hated when Show is in the World Title picture. He is just downright boring. His jokes are horrible. His role as a face is stupid. This fued that he had going with Cm Punk was unbearable. I can't believe he won at Summerslam. But this is mainly my biased opinion because I hate him.

The person I honestly think won't main event another Wrestlemania is Chris Jericho. the reason being because:

1. He is getting old and won't last there much longer (Jericho will retire in give or take 1-2 years, 3 at best.)

2. He should start putting "new" talent over.

This is the role that Jericho should start playing in my opinion in his last days with the business. Jericho has already proven that he is one of the best, so he really doesn't need anything more to further his credibility. To the same time, he does a really great job at putting people over (i. e. Wade & Bourne). If he does this, it does more wonders for the company that it would if he still ends up hunting gold (at WM or any other point in time).

i would also say edge. his work with the jericho fued before wrestlemania was pretty bad. granted he is a natural heel and shouldnt have been a face, he has lost a lot of his steam. i think that he will be involved with a title, possibly a title match at wrestlemania, but he really cant headline it with anyone since he has fueded with everyone that would push him to main event (cena, hhh, orton, undertaker)

rey will also probably never main event mania again. his role main eventing the wreslemania before was because of eddie.

big show i can actually see main eventing again. not just him and someone else though. his wrestlemainia matches seem to involve 3 way or 4 way bouts. so i could see him in the match, but not the main focus. (cena and edge were the main draw 2 years ago, and the rock, foley, and hhh in that order were the main draw over big show in 2000)

jericho definately can main event another wrestlemania. unless he puts someone over, which he definately does, there are a couple matches that could push him to the main event. he has only had a couple matches with the undertaker, and he has never faced him at wrestlemania. of the main eventers that could possibly main event wrestlemania, only jericho and cena havnt faced undertaker at wrestlemania. if taker just has 1 mania left in him then they will definately make it cena vs undertaker. but if he has a couple more then jericho would probably face him this year in the main event. jericho has also never fueded with orton, except briefly when he first came back. this could also be a potential main event at wrestlemania.

I count a Wrestlemania main event to mean three matches. Either title match or whatever match the Undertaker is in. That means more opportunities for a main event...but, even with that, I think Edge is done. He simply hasn't been as good after coming back from his injury. Maybe its Edge getting lost in the shuffle on Raw, but I am just not buying him as a top draw anymore.

I say never say never. There could always be a triple threat/fatal four way. I could also see some of those guys wrestling for a world title match that isn't the main event. I'd go as far to say ALL of them mentioned, except for John Cena and Trips. Trips, for obvious reasons. John Cena should be in the main event of every Wrestlemania for at least the next few years. So, it'd be Cena vs. whoever the 2nd hottest guy/hottest heel is at that time.

I wish I could say Undertaker, because frankly this whole streak business bores the shit out of me (HBK should have ended it, retiring both of them in my view), though sadly it's likely Undies will headline at least one more (though I think he ought to have retired long ago).

id say undertaker too, but i have a feeeling wwe is gonna try pushing him for 20-0 before he retires, out of all the wrestlers named undertaker, y2j edge and all the others named above got a good 3 to 4 wrestlermanias i believe.. and if anybody should of ended his streak id say randy orton would of bin the perfect person to do it...

I'd say it should be the senior superstars like the Undertaker, but the wwe management might finish the undertakers streak untill like 20 or somethin and then release him. Also guyz like Kane and Chris jericho and Edge might have their last wrestlemania main event appearence, so the wwe could bring up new and talented superstars.

The only person currently on the roster who I really feel for 100% certain will never be in a Wrestlemania main event again would have to be The Big Show. He was in the main event at Wrestlemania 2000 (16), but it was a four-way elimination match so there were 3 other people invloved (HHH, Rock, and Foley.) Considering that it has been 10 years since his only WM main event, and he hasnt been the WWE champ in 8 years I cant imagine that he will ever main event again.
Although I do think it is unlikely that they will, I can see Edge or Y2J possibly working their way into 1 more. I would be shocked if HHH didnt end up in another main event, and at the very least I would think that the Undertakers last match would be in the main event at WM. And of course I think there is no chance that either Cena or Orton wont be in the main event at a WM barring some sort of career ending injury or something. And I am pretty sure that is everyone who is still on the Roster that has main evented WM.

He was in a triple threat match between himself, Cena and Edge at 25. That was one of the 3 main events.

Also I am suprised no one menchioned former wwe talent in tna who headlined wrestlemania. Kurt Angle and Mick Foley. If Tna is sucessful, we'll see them back in the WWE let alone main event wrestlemania.

I'm going to say HHH. Edge MIGHT have one more main event in him but this is somewhat doubtful. Triple H has clearly past his prime and certainly hasn't been as active in the last year or so. He has clearly slowed down since his tear a few years ago and hasn't been as active on the roster ever since. Yes I know he had two WWE Championship runs in 08/09 but I kind of doubt he has much left in him. After all he debuted fifteen years ago in the WWE and I can count on one hand the number of guys who have been active with a major promotion for fifteen years straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back