Who had the best spear?

MattRhys20

Cena fan since Word-Life
Whilst I was re-watching Payback the other day (that's how bored I was), towards the end of the divas match, Kaitlyn (who has adopted the spear as her finisher) hit AJ with a spear so powerful that it got me wondering who did it best.

Trawling through Youtube before Raw last night, it is clear to see that many people in the past have used this move as their finisher, so I want to open up the debate.

Now due to my age, I can only go back so far, so if I miss anyone on the list, feel free to mention, but the names that stick out most prominently are

• Goldberg
  • Edge
  • Batista
  • Big Show
  • Rhyno
  • Kaitlyn

Discuss

Goldberg and Rhino's spears are the only ones that looked like they really hurt.

Edge and Batista's spears look nice but not painful.

Kailtlyn and Big Show both pretty sloppy spears.

For me, Edge wasn't a big enough man to look convincing using the Spear. He often used it on guys bigger than him and it didn't look right. I still popped when he did it though because his spear was pretty lethal by WWE finisher terms.

Goldberg has easily had some of the most explosive looking spears ever. He makes it look like he breaks people in half sometimes (BAH GAWD).

As far as the best, though, I might go with Rhyno because he knew how to execute it properly, and make it look great at the same time. Plus... GORE! GORE! GORE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4cCimeJ1A

I think all of your suggestions had massive impact with thier move (bar one person) The Spear/Gore in my eyes does "look" pretty impressive and I imagine would genuinely hurt in real life if done properly (see American Football or Rugby).

•Goldberg - This beast had many many moves in his arsenal, the spear being one of the hottest. More impact was created by the fact his entire body would leave the ring!

•Edge - Less of an impact and looked more of a "PG" version compared to Goldberg, but always remembered for the famous TLC ladder spear on Jazzy Jeff.

•Batista - If anything his spear I think was overshadowed by his Batista Bomb and was less used. Although he did make it look pretty damn hard!

•Big Show - Personally looks ridiculous doing it. His speed is at best a jog and his delivery looks aweful because he is so big!

•Rhyno - PURELY by calling this the Gore and having the maniac Heyman screaming it endlessly made it cool, and effective. It seemed more as if it was his one and only move the amount of times he hit and and how early on in a match he'd try to.

•Kaitlyn - I can't buy in to it...The Diva's for me lack the power to make it look real. Bring back Chyna and let's see her spear AJ and see how much more effective it looks.

One more - Roman Reigns; recently using the spear and I think it looks brilliant. I'd say he uses it much like Goldberg used to do and hopefully if he ever steps in to singles matches he can make it look as sweet as he does at the minnute with it being a suprise attack all the time.

The Spear/Gore looks cool, my favourite scenario would be the monster Goldberg....spearing the "sell king" Ziggler...Edge style off a ladder..imagine..

The question you are asking is as ******ed as asking what color is blue.

You waited all this time to post something, and that's the best you could come up with? By all means, elaborate- what's wrong with the question?

Anyway, to me Goldberg had the best spear. He always got a good head of steam and drove through. Same with Rhino, but if I had to choose one guy, I'd give Goldberg a slim edge. Speaking of Edge, his was the worst. More of a running hug.

Goldberg by ALOT. when Bill hit you with the spear he ALWAYS treated it like he was still on the football field and he was tackling someone. i think that is why his was the best spear and more than likely will remain for some time

and as for the one saying Kaitlin's looks bad. no it don't it looks like a women hitting a spear. women are not as large as men. so of course when she does the spear it don't looks anything like when a man hits it. yet she still does a damn good job of using it.

I like the spear as a strong finishing move, but I personally think it's being overused at the moment. Right now, there are THREE WWE superstars who use it as either a finisher or signature move - Kaitlyn, Roman Reigns and Christian. It seems kind of watered down nowadays to me.

As far as ranking the spears from those listed in the OP, here's my order and reasoning:

1) Goldberg - While I'm not a fan of Goldberg, I have to say his was the best. Goldberg's shtick was that he was this explosive athletic big man. Plus, he was a former football player, so a spear seemed like a logical move for him. It was a great setup for the Jackhammer, so I have to rank it first.
2) Rhyno - Rhyno's "Gore" was great because it fit his character perfectly. As was said earlier, having Heyman or the announcers scream "GORE!" repetitively only helped make it more sensational of a move. Because of his size, it seemed a bit more explosive than the ones below him on this list, but not as explosive as Goldberg's.
3) Edge - Edge's spear seemed to be more calculating than the others. It may not have been the most powerful looking or explosive, but it was sinister in its application and fit his character when he was a megaheel.
4) Batista - His was decent, but not as impressive. Like Goldberg, I liked that it wasn't the biggest move in his set. It was a great setup for the Batista Bomb.
5) Kaitlyn - As bad as this may sound, it's kind of odd to see a woman use it as a finisher. But, as a very powerful woman, she uses it pretty well. But hers is hit and miss in terms of how it comes off. Depending on who's selling it, it can look devastating or kind of awkward.
6) Big Show - Awful. Just awful. Doesn't fit him at all.

What do you mean I waited all this time? This is probably the third time I clicked into a thread you idiot.

Wow. Nevermind. Now I can see what I'm working with here. Go back to whatever it is you were doing between March 30th and today and never post again unless you develop some reading comprehension skills. And even if that happens, never post again.

I also failed to acknowledge the other folks mentioned in the OP. I have to admit that Big Show's spear actually was worse than Edge's. Kaitlyn's is bad but it's not like expectations for the Diva's necessitate her being any better at it. Batista's was good. His form was there, but Rhino and Goldberg both had better impact.

For me it's Goldberg's all the way. Literally every spear he ever hit has looked stiff as hell (in a good way) and dangerous no matter who sold it. Rhyno comes a close second and Roman Reigns looks to be coming in third. I think he could eclipse Goldberg's even once we get more used to it.

I do have one thing here. How come so many people think that a 500lb man running at you and driving his shoulder to your abdomen wouldn't hurt as much as someone half that size? Is everybody on here really superman?

But, as for the question, I think I would have to tie it between Goldberg and Rhyno. But for the "ouch" factor, that has to go Big Show's way.

I do have one thing here. How come so many people think that a 500lb man running at you and driving his shoulder to your abdomen wouldn't hurt as much as someone half that size? Is everybody on here really superman?

But, as for the question, I think I would have to tie it between Goldberg and Rhyno. But for the "ouch" factor, that has to go Big Show's way.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm not considering the physics of the maneuver. It's all about form, and Big Show's form sucked. Had he done it better, this would no doubt be an open and shut case. He didn't, so he loses. It's actually made worse by the fact that he's a giant. Realistically it should never have been a part of his arsenal, as at his size he's got to hold back too much. If he performed a spear like Goldberg or Rhino, he'd kill somebody.

I have to go with Rhino. He used to hit the gore with such speed and intensity that it made you think him was going to cut somebody in half. I think he lost a lot of his speed later on so it did not look as good, but during his ECW days it just looked sick.

Have to go with Rhino... Goldbergs was impressive as well but his just didn't look as bad ass as Rhino's. Goldberg's wasn't really a finishing move either like the others listed(Edge,Rhino). It was more of a set up to his Jack Hammer which made it seem like a secondary move really to his main finisher.

got to go with one of 3 people in no order. Edge due to him using it as his finisher (when he was a heel) and the fact that he used it well for his size. Goldberg because of how hard it looked and how it set up for his finsher and finally Rhyno because of how it looked when he hit the move. it looked like he was running through the opponent and Heyman's reaction made it that much better.

I think Goldberg's version of the Spear will always be the favorite. It was so devastating. His speed and power went into the move and the fact his whole body left the mat to hit the opponent, it looked painful. It was believable, as was most big moves Bill Goldberg did.

Edge's will always be my favorite though. I understand their is a lack of power and ferocity that goes into his version of the Spear, but, it looked more fluent in his approach and the way he executed it. It looked better than Goldberg's, but not necessarily by power. The build-up, the run up and execution were always great. I'll admit, at times, when Edge hit it on the likes of The Big Show or Mark Henry, you couldn't necessarily believe it and it looked to be the opponent falling down rather than being hit, but it was still cool. Plus, you can't forget WrestleMania X-Seven.

Kaitlyn's Spear is pretty cool. I like her deliverance and execution. Roman Reigns is awesome as well. His is very similar to Goldberg's. When he moves to singles action after the Shield, expect him to use this as his finisher.

You waited all this time to post something, and that's the best you could come up with? By all means, elaborate- what's wrong with the question?

Anyway, to me Goldberg had the best spear. He always got a good head of steam and drove through. Same with Rhino, but if I had to choose one guy, I'd give Goldberg a slim edge. Speaking of Edge, his was the worst. More of a running hug.

I thoroughly agree with you about Edge!! Edge never used a "spear" because when you really think about it, Edge's "spear" is The Running Hug Of Doom! His body is horribly built for using any type of Spear. He's really gangly and lanky and whenever Edge hit anyone with The Running Hug Of Doom it never looked convincing to me. To me, Edge using a "Spear" is about as smart as Mysterio switching over to The Jacknife Powerbomb..It just never fit him.. No matter who Edge hit with The Running Hug Of Doom, whether it was Mysterio or The Great Khali it still looked like shit...Personally I think Edge should've stuck with The Downward Spiral as his finishing move..At least he executed that move very convincingly..

RHYNO on the other hand has hands down the deadliest version of the Spear by far..Because Rhyno, unlike Edge is perfectly built to hit a deadly Spear...His body is built like a Sherman Tank and his strength is uncanny-2 things which Edge never had going for him..Rhyno Goring Jericho through the Smackdown set http://youtube.com/watch?v=AuU8IqP92S4

For me the best spear has to go to Goldberg, with Rhino coming in at a close second. Since Goldberg was a pro-football player prior to being a wrestler, his spear just seems to have a more devastating feel to it. And a lot of his opponents sold it really well. Rhino had the size to make his spear look just as devastating. His opponents looked like they were hit by a dump truck, however I felt his spear lacked speed which is why I put him just below Goldberg since his had a lot of power to it which made up for speed. Currently, the best spear right now I gotta give it to Roman Reigns. Just looking at his spear, it almost mirrors Goldberg's in a way, and it looks just as legit as his. In fact, I think Roman Reigns may have the spear that can easily be compared to Goldberg's.

Goldberg's by far for me because he put a lot of effort into selling it. He charged hard and really put himself into the other wrestler. You could see it and believe it knocked the wind out of someone.

Rhyno's was good too, but not quite as good.

None of the rest were believable. Big Show is big but his spear is terrible.

when god created the spear, he said let their be rhyno(or gore, whatever). Rhyno was made to do it, no one will ever come close.

Lawrence Taylor muthafuckas!

Just kidding. Goldberg's was the best. It set the bar. The only real question is how much better Edge's would have looked if Goldberg had not made the move look so good so recently before.

The only other person I can think of is Monty Brown and whatever he used to do?

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I've always been really partial to the spear when performed by the Big Show. Because the guy is so immense. Because it seems so bizarre coming from such a behemoth of a man. And because being speared by a dude this big would have to be devastating.

Obviously the move is performed much more slowly by the Big Show as compared to Goldberg or Rhyno, but even still, I wouldn't want to be the guy coming across the ring only to be involved in a head on collision with a guy the size of Show by way of a spear. Blooms to me like it would break the average guy in half.

Big Show didnt look as good doing it due to his lack of speed, it always seemed he was so slow you could easily get out of the way if you were awake, unlike his choke slam which came out of nowhere and almost immediately trapped you in the air, playing on both his size and great strength.

Goldberg had the best spear. It was extremely quick and looked more powerful than Edge, plus GB could pull it of nowhere and make it look awesome every time.

GOLDBERG, by a thousand miles...his spear looked like itd f*ck you up, so intense, so brutal and painful looking. Rhyno is a distant second

When he got it right Goldberg's looked the most devastating, the Jackhammer almost seemed pointless as the guy looked like he'd be collecting his innards from the front row after the match.

For consistency I'd say Rhino. Edge simply didn't have the body type to make it believable against most guys no matter how well they sold it.

Right now Reigns is consistently hitting a crisp spear but WWE need to stop Christian and Kaitlyn using it as it dilutes the visual affect.

The Pounce! That thing was more like that shoulder barge move Hernandez in TNA does these days.

That was The Pounce and it looked fucking devastating when the right person sold it but it was usually just a hard shoulder tackle.

Goldberg and Rhino are the only real answers. Roman Reigns looks alright sometimes as well, but those 2 perfected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back