• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Else Could've Used The "Hogan Rub" ?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
A little while ago on Impact, Hulk Hogan gave Abyss a very strong pep talk, and took him under his wing. Hogan even went as far to give him his Hall Of Fame ring. Ever since then, Abyss has red and yellow on his ring attire, and he's even using Hogan's old WCW entrance music.

We're still in the early stages of the Hogan/Abyss union, so more time is needed to judge this whole thing fairly. This is a huge deal for Abyss because he's receiving a rub from the biggest name in pro wrestling history. The TNA roster is full of potential, so I'm wondering, who else could've used the Hogan rub?

My pick would be Matt Morgan. Ever since he's been in a tag team with Heranandez, he's sort of just faded away, and hasn't really done anything worth remembering. Before his alliance with Hernandez, he was involved in a very good feud with the Main Even Mafia, and Kurt Angle. He also had a series of good matches with AJ Styles on Impact a while back. I believe the Hogan Rub could help Morgan get that extra push he needs. Lately Morgan has been showing signs of a heel turn, and I believe that could be a step backwards for him.

Who else do you think could've used the Hogan rub?

Can the Hogan rub be a good or bad thing?

Thoughts?

I disagree about Morgan's heel turn being a bad move. He's not that great on the mic, but he at least can pull off the "DNA of TNA" arrogance and back it up with his dominant in-ring style. It's the best role for him.

As for the "Hogan rub" question, nobody needed it as much as Abyss. But if it was going to be somebody else, could there have been a better person than Jay Lethal? He already has the perfect lead-in with the Machismo gimmick and would've been able to put on great matches against AJ while bringing back (in his mind) the "Mega Powers" with Hulk.

You talk of the Hogan rub as if it is a good thing. It seems to me that it is more of a bad thing....TNA has gotten his rub...and what were the ratings for last monday? They had more hype for the show than Raw, more surprises, and they got like a 1.4 or something. Not gonna work! I see TNA being shut down soon.

I don't think the "Hogan rub" is doing much for Abyss at all. It's weird, tacky, and confusing. AJ Style is not the next Ric Flair. AJ is the champ, yet when he comes out to the ring, he's being outshined by his manager. That's not how it's supposed to be. When Abyss comes out, everybody's looking at Hogan. Those are not rubs. To be honest, I don't know what the hell they are... but they aren't helping anybody.

Morgan will be TNA would champion at some point, he has the look about him, it's his mic work that holds him back, but keeping him in the titles picture is away of keeping him relivent in the fans minds, so I totally disagree about him fading away.

You guys are expecting too much too soon. Hogan and Abyss have been teamed up for what... three weeks? AJ and Flair for only a week or two longer than that. Flair and Hogan have heat right now as the legendary presences who've made their arrivals in TNA. It makes sense to let them carry some of the load right now, but that doesn't mean Abyss and AJ won't benefit in the long run.

It's just like cooking; anything "instant" is going to be weak and inferior. Time and care make the best dishes, and they also make for the most successful angles. Just be patient and see what happens. Maybe you'll both be right and this will all have been a mistake, but you can't determine that yet.

You guys are expecting too much too soon. Hogan and Abyss have been teamed up for what... three weeks? AJ and Flair for only a week or two longer than that. Flair and Hogan have heat right now as the legendary presences who've made their arrivals in TNA. It makes sense to let them carry some of the load right now, but that doesn't mean Abyss and AJ won't benefit in the long run.

It's just like cooking; anything "instant" is going to be weak and inferior. Time and care make the best dishes, and they also make for the most successful angles. Just be patient and see what happens. Maybe you'll both be right and this will all have been a mistake, but you can't determine that yet.

I agree. I think the Abyss/Hogan union needs more time before we can began to bash it.It does seem awkward when you see Abyss with red and yellow on his ring attire, and when you hear Hogan's old WCW music, but let's give this whole thing some more time. Abyss was a dominant force in TNA before, and maybe this union with Hogan can help him become the unstoppable force he once was.

I think Joe would have been a good choice. His and AJ's matches were always great. Add in the Hogan/Flair rivalry, and you got a pretty good feud. Not to mention Joe is a better wrestler than Abyss, and can make tag matches like last Monday Night be so much better.

I agree with you that good angles and plans take time to develop, but that's not why I'm bashing this. AJ isn't a sidekick working on becoming a leader in a few years. He's already the champion. So was Abyss. Flair mentored Triple H, who, like AJ, was a champion before Flair arrived. However, Flair did not outshine Helmsley because HHH was seen as a credible force. These "rubs" aren't working in TNA.

Hogan is giving TNA the rub, a lot of people who use to watch Hogan might tune into TNA to see what is going on, some of the guys who are coming in are coming because of Hogan and his ties. There are many great talents in TNA, AJ, Robert Rude and so on, the problem is TNA does not have the viewers, with the guys like Hogan, Flair and others coming in hopefully it will build up the viewers.

Yeah Hogan is with Abyss right now but if you look at the bigger thing going on, Hogan/Abyss, Flair/AJ, Nash/Eric Young.

It seems the older wrestlers are pairing up with the younger guys almost like role models.

Robert Rude, Matt Morgan those guys could use the push, yeah they are popular in TNA and other areas.

With Hogan bringing his name to TNA hopefully it will bring the viewers also which will help everyone involved.

Remember when hogan gave "the rub" to a green paul wight? nearly 15 years later and the big show still isn't over! Abyss should beware.

You talk of the Hogan rub as if it is a good thing. It seems to me that it is more of a bad thing....TNA has gotten his rub...and what were the ratings for last monday? They had more hype for the show than Raw, more surprises, and they got like a 1.4 or something. Not gonna work! I see TNA being shut down soon.
IT IS A GOOD THING MORON THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE IS TO GET A RUB FROM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. A RUB FROM HOGAN CAN TAKE ANYONE TO THE TOP,EVEN THE WORSE WRESTLERS IN THE WORLD. HELL EVEN THE BEST WRESTERS IN THE WORLD COULD BENEFIT HUGELY FROM A HOGAN RUB BECAUSE PLAIN AND SIMPLE THERE IS ONLY ONE GREATEST OF ALL TIME THATS HULK HOGAN

IT IS A GOOD THING MORON THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE IS TO GET A RUB FROM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. A RUB FROM HOGAN CAN TAKE ANYONE TO THE TOP,EVEN THE WORSE WRESTLERS IN THE WORLD. HELL EVEN THE BEST WRESTERS IN THE WORLD COULD BENEFIT HUGELY FROM A HOGAN RUB BECAUSE PLAIN AND SIMPLE THERE IS ONLY ONE GREATEST OF ALL TIME THATS HULK HOGAN

Not being a Hogan fan, I still have to agree with the above statement. Even though I don't like him, you have to respect what he has done for the business. This being said, Abyss was a wrong choice. I felt that Hernandez or Joe should've been the ones with the rub. More so Hernandez; the guy is full of untapped potential and TNA really needs to learn how to use his talents. I could easily see Hernandez being "the next big thing" in wrestling.

I don't think the "Hogan rub" is doing much for Abyss at all. It's weird, tacky, and confusing. AJ Style is not the next Ric Flair. AJ is the champ, yet when he comes out to the ring, he's being outshined by his manager. That's not how it's supposed to be. When Abyss comes out, everybody's looking at Hogan. Those are not rubs. To be honest, I don't know what the hell they are... but they aren't helping anybody.

It just goes to show at their ages, Hogan and Flair are STILL TOP DRAWS for their company. Entertainment (not wrestling ability) wise, "they still got it"!! *drawing power* that is!

The Hogun rub did great things for the likes of Tugboat, the Renegade, Hillbilly Jim, and David Sullivan. Instead of going back to what got Abyss over in the first palce, lets turn him into Hogun's goofy buddy because that has such a great track record.

The Hogan rub is not blame for this Abyss push falling a bit flat. Abyss just needs to drop the childish antics. Stop slapping your hands together like a little girl and start scaring people, and you will start drawing money for once. I mean that with all due repect to Abyss, as I like weirdos.

Anyway, back to the OP's topic. Assuming a Hogan Rub is neither illegal in 48 states nor a lethal dose of poison, I think Black Machismo needs a little lovin. I've read interviews with Hogan were he mentioned that he even would want to plan it out, including Randy Savage into the angle. I don't know how serious he was, but I could only wish for a reason to see Machismo more often. Maybe because I'm newer to TNA he isn't as played out to me as he might be to the older fans, but hey; TNA going after us newer fans anyway, right?

Who else do you think could've used the Hogan rub?

I would have to agree with you and say Matt Morgan. Before the Hogan/Bischoff era began in TNA, AJ Styles and Matt Morgan were the two biggest young stars in TNA. They both competed in singles matches against the two top veterans in TNA at the time, Morgan facing Kurt Angle and AJ facing Sting for the TNA title at Bound for Glory. It's perfectly acceptable that Ric Flair would come to TNA and take AJ Styles under his wing because AJ is the best young wrestler in the world. It would also be perfectly acceptable that Hogan would take Morgan under his wing seeing as how Morgan is a big man similar to the size Hogan was when he started in the AWA. Abyss just feels like he doesn't fit. I'd prefer given Ric Flair's past history with Mick Foley that Abyss had stuck with being mentored by him. The story would be the same just Foley in Hogan's place. Hulk could worry more about "The Band" which seems to be an angle that would fit him better as well given his history with the NWO and Eric Bischoff.

Can the Hogan rub be a good or bad thing?

It can be a good thing because Abyss is getting a push that he wasn't really getting before. But it can also be a bad thing because fans can look at this like I do and go why is Hulk calling Abyss his blood brother he has known him for like a month. Why is Hulk handpicking Abyss as the future of TNA? It's a good thing for Abyss but its a bad thing for all of the other guys in the locker room that could have used this push more. So yes its a good and bad thing.

Relax and act like an adult.

Hogan and Flair are great in their own right, but Hogan especially acts like a freaking cartoon character on TV and there is nothing genuine when he talks. He's completely outdated. Granted, he got a few people to watch TNA... but if they don't find somebody worthy of grabbing the spotlight soon, people will give up on him AGAIN.

First, he lied about steroids on National TV in the 90's. That hurt him BAD.

They revived him, to little appraisal, and turned him heel, which reignited him. He rode that for a while, got a lot of sh*t from wrestling insiders who said he was a manipulator and a liar (I wasn't there, I don't know) and lost a lot of credibility in the industry.

Goes to WWE, turns good, is big again. Rides the wave. Leaves.

Puts his family on national television and let cameras into his home to film his family going about their lives. As a man, that's really low. You let cameras into your house and you are guaranteed to mess your kids up. People lost respect. His minor son gets in a wreck and puts his friend in a coma. Hogan was busted having an affair with a very young girl. His ex-wife was sleeping with a teenager. It's all extremely trashy and his public image is in shambles. Meanwhile, WWE is blasting him left and right for refusing to do "jobs" to guys like Orton and HBK. He's losing his meal ticket. Say what you want but this is very damaging to his credibility as a "good guy". People genuinely lost respect for him in many different walks of life. He can't get back on TV or back into the WWE for anywhere near the amount of money he was making. So where does he go? Last chance, Hogan. Build a new bridge cuz you destroyed all the old ones. Better hope it works, cuz you're pushing 60 and the Nature Boy has more respect from his peers than you ever will.

Who has the "Hogan rub" worked on? Edge? Sure... but he was already a rising star who couldn't be stopped. Still, it was a good rub. Warrior? Hogan dropped the belt and immediately entered the ring to play the good guy and steal it back. The Rock? Already a huge star... but who were they cheering when that match was over? Don't believe for a second Hogan didn't know how to get himself booed. He's "the greatest of all time", remember? He played Rock like a chump. Tugboat? Yeah, that really went places.

It worked for Hall and Nash as the nWo but they more than held their own and were able to outshine Hogan when it mattered. Abyss can't do that. Neither can AJ.

I was a HUGE Hogan fan until about 5 years ago when I opened my eyes and realized the guy would do, say, or stand for anything if it made him look good. I hope he helps TNA, I really do... but his "formula for success" hasn't worked since 1997... and back then he had a lot of help.

This. They aren't rubs, they are ways that Hogan and Flair can keep their mugs on TV, thinking that people will want to see them. I can't speak for everyone here, but TNA would be better off if they were on TV less. I don't wanna see 50+ vets in the ring, blading themselves every match. I wanna see the young talent of TNA, not the guys who have been wrestling for 20+ years. I don't get why they are bringing in old WWE guys rather than trying to get some dudes (like the Briscoes, Blackout etc) from the ROH and other independent companies. I'd much rather watch those guys than a sloppy match between two old vets.

But yeah, Hogan and Flair are overshadowing Abyss and Flair, and it's stupid.

But to answer the question, no-one should have.

I don't think Hogan should have "rubbed" anybody. Theres technically nobody that is very Hogan like in size and physique, excluding Matt Morgan (but i don't see him being Hogan-like character). Ric Flair giving a rub to AJ Styles fits perfectly because Styles actually has his own personality and is able to adapt to Ric Flairs. Abyss getting Hogans rub was ridiculous. A RING THAT GIVES POWER? Gimme a break.

I am just not sure that people really care about the Hogan rub anymore. I mean, sure Hogan gets a huge pop each time he enters an arena. But todays fans want to see somewhat younger stars (even as old as HBK/Taker as opposed to Hogan/Flair). I think Abyss needed this because he seemed to be going nowhere fast as of late. But I think a time will come, right about now actually, where the Hogan rub doesn't really mean as much.

Also, you have to remember that there is usually a backlash against someone beating Hogan. I understand that Hogan doesn't need to lose to someone to give them the rub, but if and when that happens, fans seem to not like it. I just don't think Hogan is convincing enough in the ring anymore to give a proper rub to a guy who is clearly bigger, stronger, and faster than he is (especially now, at age 56).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back