• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Actually Watches Smackdown?

fouldsy91

Pre-Show Stalwart
I remember watching wrestling since 2000, when I was very young and I remember for quite a while, Smackdown was a lot better than Raw.

However since the brand extension split, I have hardly watched Smackdown, even more so since there is only one major title now as Smackdown seems filler.

Has anyone else felt that Smackdown is filler and just read the spoilers these days or do you think I'm missing something?

Spot on with me. I used to love Smackdown because it largely felt like a completely different show from Raw, from the trademark blue color to the CW division to fresh announcers. When it started, it was almost equivalent to Raw. Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, Taker, etc. wrestled weekly on Smackdown and major story angles from Raw were carried over. When the brand split happened, Smackdown became its own show with a completely different feel from Raw, and was focused more on the wrestling aspect of WWE. It all fell apart when wrestlers started to shift brands even though the "brand split" was technically in effect, and when WWE began marketing their Supershows as "interpromotional." After the split officially ended, Smackdown became a literal B show, featuring lower-class wrestlers and limited angle development... I stopped watching a few years back as it was becoming a chore.

I stopped watching Smackdown and TNA Impact as soon as the launch of the WWE Network. I actually watch the Network for way more than 4 hours a week. I just don't have / make time for Smackdown and TNA Impact anymore. Since the end of the Brand Extension, it really has become a filler show. It's the 2015 version of Heat.

I usually quickly scan the highlight on the yoube channel to see if it's one of those crazy weeks when WWE is trying to make stuff happen on smackdown (it's silly, like once every couple of months a feud will have a significant promo of development on smackdown, then back to uselessness).

Anyhow yes, I agree, quite a useless show now sadly.

SmackDown! has its moments at points, but it nothing more than a throwaway show for the WWE at present and even though they have been pushing the idea of Daniel Bryan as the "Face of SmackDown!" since his return, it still pretty much sucks.

There is the odd silver lining like the time Ambrose shrugged off the after effects of the Ambulance match vs Bray Wyatt to come to the aid of Roman Reigns(Last SD! of 2014, I think)...a true Mark Out moment for a SHIELD fan like myself.
But yeah, by and large SmackDown! is missable and I usually just read spoilers come Tuesday night in the hope that something good happens on it, other than that it is strictly Monday nights for me.

I don't watch it or read the spoilers. Literally NOTHING noteworthy ever happens on the show. There hasn't been 1 single important piece of story line development to occur on Smackdown in the last decade. Not to mention if anything even decent somehow does manage to happen on Smackdown they will either A.) completely replicate it on Raw or B.) Recap it to do death.

On a related note, the piped in cheers and boos are so painfully obvious that it really hurts the overall presentation. I can understand removing an offensive chant for example, but after seeing someone get booed out of the building on Monday and then see them get the WM18 Hogan pop on Smackdown is just flat out stupid, it's insulting to the fans intelligence.

I don't watch it or read the spoilers. Literally NOTHING noteworthy ever happens on the show. There hasn't been 1 single important piece of story line development to occur on Smackdown in the last decade. Not to mention if anything even decent somehow does manage to happen on Smackdown they will either A.) completely replicate it on Raw or B.) Recap it to do death.

The last DECADE? That's the single biggest exaggeration I've ever heard. SmackDown has been pretty useless the last three years or so. But apparently a decade is only three years now and nobody told me.

you make a valid point. nowadays most of fans are proved they just came there for time pass and entertainment. they all are happy to boo cena. they chant "you must retire" for big show and cheer for big show when he KO roman. they cheer when rusev attack cena even though he is an anti american. with internet played major role across the world. all fans know all the backstage segment in a minute. so kayfbe is dead today.

I read the spoiler for SD regularly and don't watch the full show. they make live SD to gain more viewers.

one thing I don't understand why u guys still hate SD. your most favorite guys like Bryan, ziggler, ambrose, cesaro all are wrestled regularly in SD. then why you guys don't like SD.

When they had the brand split and the draft sometimes Smackdown was the better show. Since they got rid of both of those SD has unfortunately just become a repeat of RAW each week, with matches that for the most aren't that great.

We get it here in Toronto on Wednesday nights now, and if I'm not working that night, I would rather watch NXT. I read the SD spoilers on Tuesdays and might tune in for one maybe two matches but that's about it.

I still watch Smackdown, though not every week. Of course, this is possible because the show doesn't feature real developments in storyline; anything important is saved for Raw, making it unnecessary to tune in every Thursday night.

Still, I find most episodes of Smackdown to be slickly produced, with one match/segment flowing into another, making it an easy watch. The problem is that this often varies from week to week, making we wonder if they don't alternate staff members to "run" the show, as if Vince McMahon says to the group of people: "Who wants to coordinate Smackdown this week? You? Okay, you do it."

Even so, if you want to see your favorite performers, watching Smackdown is a way to get it done without investing three hours of your time on one program.

SmackDown! has its moments at points, but it nothing more than a throwaway show for the WWE at present and even though they have been pushing the idea of Daniel Bryan as the "Face of SmackDown!" since his return, it still pretty much sucks.

There is the odd silver lining like the time Ambrose shrugged off the after effects of the Ambulance match vs Bray Wyatt to come to the aid of Roman Reigns(Last SD! of 2014, I think)...a true Mark Out moment for a SHIELD fan like myself.
But yeah, by and large SmackDown! is missable and I usually just read spoilers come Tuesday night in the hope that something good happens on it, other than that it is strictly Monday nights for me.

this is pretty much my feeling on it too.. I haven't watched smackdown in well over a year. Nothing really important happens on smackdown. It's kind of like the WWE mobile app's "second screen experience". Anything worth watching on it, will be replayed on RAW.

I still watch Smackdown although now it is more something to do when I am bored. It has not been "must-see" television for many years. 7 years ago at this time, Smackdown was the "A" show for me. Then around fall 2010 or so, the quality dropped significantly and the blue brand became just something to watch on the weekends. This became even more apparent when the brand extension ended a year later. Now Smackdown is just Raw recaps with a few matches or promos thrown in. Raw I still try to catch live or later on monday evening but in Smackdown's case I always tape to watch later at some point during the weekend, it might not be until Sunday of that week when I finally sit down to watch it. I'll watch it each week, however it's nowhere near the big deal it once was.

The last DECADE? That's the single biggest exaggeration I've ever heard. SmackDown has been pretty useless the last three years or so. But apparently a decade is only three years now and nobody told me.

Ok, tell me some big angles and important moments that occurred on Smackdown within the last 10 years (excluding the most recent 3).

You'll notice I did not say anything about quality wrestling, because there has been plenty of that, but just sticking with my original post where I said no story line development or anything important occurs. I don't think it's an exaggeration at all.

Ok, tell me some big angles and important moments that occurred on Smackdown within the last 10 years (excluding the most recent 3).

You'll notice I did not say anything about quality wrestling, because there has been plenty of that, but just sticking with my original post where I said no story line development or anything important occurs. I don't think it's an exaggeration at all.

So let's see, since April 2005, just to name a few...

The infamous Muhammad Hassan incident.

Batista vacated the World Heavyweight Championship, ending the longest reign in the title's history.

Kurt Angle won the title the same night.

The return of King of the Ring in 2006 after a four year hiatus.

Edge won the World Heavyweight Championship from Undertaker.

The brilliant build to HBK/Taker at WrestleMania 25, where Taker played the heel on RAW shows and HBK played the heel on SmackDown shows.

Edge vacated the World Heavyweight Championship after his neck injury, and became the first person in WWE history to retire as a World Champion.

Alberto Del Rio winning the World Heavyweight Championship from Big Show in a Last Man Standing Match.

Honestly I don't really "watch" any WWE shows. Not fully atleast. I usually wait 'til they've aired and then fast forward through whatever I don't care about (which usually winds up being 90% of the show). I don't even remember the last time I watched a full 3 hour RAW. Basically I just watch the matches, that's all I really care about. And promos from guys I like. Smackdown though I'll usually just watch off the DVR as background noise mostly. Sometimes I'll actively watch the whole thing because it's atleast not 3 hours long, but usually the main event is the only thing worth watching. Atleast you get a few matches with some time on RAW. I do tend to watch most of NXT though. Easier to digest.

I agree that Smackdown has probably peaked and is not what it was but you can say the same for Raw and the WWE in general. But it gives good exposure to some of the mid card talent. I also think the show flows better with the one less hour than Raw and we get a lot less filler and doesn't seem to drag on as much.

A lot of the greatest moments on Smackdown did happen over 10 years ago: Austin destroys the DX express, Angle v Lesnar iron man match, Eddie Guerrero's addiction promo, Lesnar/Big Show ring collapse.

I'm sorry to hear fouldsy91 stopped watching after the brand split, most of those moments occured in that time. the Angle, Benoit, Mysterio, Eddie, Chavo, and Edge period while Heyman was booking was incredible, but again, over 10 years ago.

In the last 10 years there was: Eddie's heel run (despite the Dominic stuff), Edge cashing in, Shield v Undertaker, Punk ending Jeff Hardy's WWE career, the creation of the Teddy Long tag team match meme, King Booker, Edge and Vickie's wedding, Christian's run as world champ and one more match. Honestly though, it's like panning for gold in a sewage drainage ditch.

The last five years of so, I read Smackdown spoilers. I watch the matches online that I hear are good. I'll watch the talent I like, the rest I fast forward. I don't think that what we're experiencing has to do with cynicism, an "I miss the Attitude Era" mentatlity, or something to do inherently with Smackdown.

Smackdown has been booked as a Raw rewind ever since the Brand extention was quietly taken out back and shot. Sure, we got highlights before, but now that all stars are on all shows, there's a lot of rematches happening. There have been so many six man tags that I'm utterly speechless as to why a Six Man Tag Team Championship hasn't been introduced with Teddy Long wearing a roman gladiator helmet on the centre of it.

A lot of folks want to blame Vince for the way the product is booker. Considering the things Triple H is doing in NXT, maybe it's just a matter of time before someone realizes that they can book a wrestling show and make money. If you build it, and it isn't filler, they will come, and they have money.

I do!

The one thing I like about Smackdown is that it's more match friendly, no major opening segments or long promos. Just mostly wrestling matches. The only major complaint I have is the tendency to rely on recaps. I'm sorry, but if you watch Smackdown, you probably watch RAW so that seems unnecessary.

I usually quickly scan the highlight on the yoube channel to see if it's one of those crazy weeks when WWE is trying to make stuff happen on smackdown (it's silly, like once every couple of months a feud will have a significant promo of development on smackdown, then back to uselessness).

Anyhow yes, I agree, quite a useless show now sadly.

Just to prove this last smackdown was actually pretty cool. With good promos for Rollins' angle (including some actually quite funny interaction between J&J and Luke Harper), New Day definitely embracing their heel turn and a couple of decent matches.

I don't have Sky TV, so I don't get to watch Raw or SmackDown, but I always check the results and if anything interests me I'll look it up online and watch it.

It is sad to see how low SmackDown has fallen considering how great it was back in the Attitude Era where it was booked as equal to Raw and had must-see moments all the time, or during the brand split when Paul Heyman made it a more entertaining show than Raw. Now, it just seems thrown together like an afterthought, nothing more than a Raw recap show with repetitive matches and highlights of Raw from a few days earlier.

With the enormous team of storyline "writers" (and I use that term loosely) that WWE employ, they should be able to make SmackDown entertaining again, but it just seems like they cannot be bothered to do it.

I stopped watching Smackdown about 3 years ago and even then I was fast forwarding a lot of it.

I used to get fed up of "from the vault" being right in the middle.

Yeah, Smackdown just seems to be a recap show of what happened on Raw catered for those who didn't watch Raw it seems. I just record it on my DVR and fast forward through all the BS, and watch the continuation promos.

For instance, Seth Rollins came out on tonight's Smackdown and said he wasn't scared of Brock when he appeared in the ring on Monday night Raw. He went on to say, hell, Brock came in that ring and didn't even lay a hand on me, because he knows i'm the greatest of all time and I'm ready to kick his ass at Battleground.

Back in the day, I would watch Heat AND Velocity. So I can more than handle SmackDown in it's current B-show status, I still find it quite disappointing and wish for the brand split era back sometimes, but it's not a worthless show

Smackdown hasn't done anything interesting since Brock superplexed Big Show and broke the ring. Time to delete Smackdown completely and put NXT in a bigger spotlight in that Smackdown slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back