White Sox Pitcher 3 Outs From Perfect Game

He went for it. Didn't just let it slide by him. He's a good actor if he did indeed let it go by him intentionally.

I was shaking for that shit. It ain't every day you see a perfect game.

I'm not saying he did it. It's possible though. I don't think AJ knew that it was called a strike yet when the ball went by. It wouldn't be a horrible thing if he did.

That's what I love about baseball: you never know what you'll see. It was the White Sox vs. the Mariners and we get this. That's amazing.

In the spirit of amazing baseball feats...

True story: I have been in attendance for an unassisted triple play, which I believe is the rarest feat in baseball.

In the spirit of amazing baseball feats...

True story: I have been in attendance for an unassisted triple play, which I believe is the rarest feat in baseball.

Which one? Furcal's?

EDIT: Equally fun fact: The Indians have three such plays, more than any other team.

Which one? Furcal's?

Yes. It was in either 2003 or 2004. My cousin and I drove to St. Louis for the game, he a Cardinals fan and me a Braves fan. My mom had gotten tickets for fan appreciation day, so we got there early, ate a bunch of $1 ballpark hotdogs, my cousin got the autograph of some mediocre pitcher and sarcastically bragged about it for years, and then saw Furcal's unassisted triple play.

It took me a few moments to realize what had happened. First I was just glad it wasn't a hit, because a run was going to score. Then I was excited because we were out of the inning. Then I realized it was a triple play. Finally I stood up and shouted (this was a good 20 seconds after the play was over) "THAT'S AN UNASSISTED TRIPLE PLAY!!!". Needless to say, the Cardinal fans sitting around me weren't nearly as excited.

They had the last laugh though. If I remember correctly, Smoltz blew the save in the 9th and the Cardinals won. Did not make me happy, especially since Smoltz was basically untouchable the entire year.

Another funny thing is that the 9-1 blowout all of the sudden is a 9-8 game, with a lot of the damage occurring during the 9th inning of the perfect game.

Fun fact. I wiki'd this shit and despite it being the fourth thread on the subject I can remember there have only been 19 of these since 1900.

Wiki also tells me Sly's event happened 10th August 2003.

Did something happen during the 70s in baseball? Like did they just not play? No perfect games and no unassisted triple play during the 70s.

Did something happen during the 70s in baseball? Like did they just not play? No perfect games and no unassisted triple play during the 70s.

Goes in spurts. As Sly said the unassisted triple play is probably the rarest thing to happen in baseball. May not have been Perfect Games in the '70s but there were no hitters, which are just a smidge less impressive.

Goes in spurts. As Sly said the unassisted triple play is probably the rarest thing to happen in baseball. May not have been Perfect Games in the '70s but there were no hitters, which are just a smidge less impressive.

Until someone hits five home runs in a game.

The best part about this is his story. #3 overall pick in '04, traded in the Santana deal, had Tommy John surgery, was claimed on waivers twice in the offseason after the 2010 season.

The best part about this is his story. #3 overall pick in '04, traded in the Santana deal, had Tommy John surgery, was claimed on waivers twice in the offseason after the 2010 season.

No the best part is maybe he will get to do a commercial with Kate Upton now.

That's what I love about baseball: you never know what you'll see. It was the White Sox vs. the Mariners and we get this. That's amazing.

Before I even knew about the perfect game I was thinking how anything can happen on any given day. For some reason I was thinking about Kerry Wood's 20 strikeout game. It was a cold and rainy Wednesday afternoon in early May. Many people didn't bother going to the game because of the weather. You just never know when something special may happen.

Just saw the last pitch. If that batter would have hustled down to first instead of arguing with the umpire he might have made it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back