• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which Wrestler Was Your Guilty Pleasure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Now come on.... We all have that one wrestler we love, for no apparent reason. You know the one; the guy that has as limited a moveset as a paraplegic has dance moves. The one who makes mimes seem eloquent by comparison. We all have that one guy we'd never admit to anyone else we're marks, but behind close doors, you root for the guy, hoping he gets the recognition he so deserves. And now, it's ok. You can let loose, and tell us which wrestler is your favorite guilty pleasure. What's the one wrestler you're embarrassed to say you're a mark of, and why?

I'll say mine that comes right off the top of my head:

kamala.jpg

Yes, sad as it may be, I'm actually a mark for Kamala. I personally love seeing all of his work, be it from the Mid-South, or the WWE. Hell, I even kinda liked the guy in WCW.

Now, yes, the guy's moveset was very limited. I don't think I've ever seen a match in which the guy didn't perform anything outside chops, a couple kicks, a body slam, and that splash he typically does. He was easily one of the most limited wrestlers in history, and it showed.If this guy existed in today's era, he probably would have been boo'ed out of the arena. Some people compared him to Umaga, but that frankly doesn't do justice to Umaga. Where as Umaga had a moveset that at least seemed more developed, Kamala was just flat out horrendous in the ring. He also didn't have half the speed of Umaga, and never really did anything of note as a wrestler. He was never a heavyweight champion, and the only time I remember him being in high profile feuds were his feuds with Hogan, Andre, and his two month long stint in the Dungeon of Doom.

Still, the guy was an absolute brute, and as a child, he scared the Hell out of me. The moveset can be easily equated with the man's character, which Jim Harris played to a tee. While he had no promo skills, he definitely had the ability to play his role, and to look as though he's inflicting pain upon any wrestler.

Hell, don't believe me? Then watch this match between him and Andre, I believe performed in the Maple Leaf Gardens:

Alas, that's just me. So don't be shy! Tell me which wrestler is your favorite guilty pleasure.

I think my guiltiest pleasure wrestler back in the day was "The Mountie". He was a great midcard heel character and was top corny. Him self sung entrance theme is easily one of the best worst themes ever... It makes Shawns "sexy boy" sound like The Beatles..

Also The Model Rick Martel always made me laugh too. His perfume that he sprayed in opponents eyes (named arrogance) and me and my friends still laugh about his big button on his jacket that said "YES...I AM A MODEL!!!"

I'm a sucker for Little Spike Dudley. He's not tremendously talented, and he got his ass kicked around every building he ever walked into, but he was just great to watch. He made you laugh, and he had you cheering for him, even if you knew there wasn't a chance in hell of him winning. His finisher was also pretty badass...

Anyone else remember when he got tossed out of the ring by Bam Bam Bigelow, and carried around the arena? That was a memorable moment in ECW...Just goes to show how much he was loved by the fans, even though he was never a huge threat...

Well...I gotta say, I'm guilty of being a mark for Brian Clarke! :blush:

Whether it was his extremely shitty run as 'Adam Bomb' in the WWF from 1993-1995, His WCW run as 'Wrath' or half of the 'Kronik' Tag-Team with Brian Adams...I always loved the guy.

I remember back in the day, watching Nitro in late '98, big Brian had a Goldberg-esque winning streak happening. Week after week, he'd squash someone with his 'Meltdown' Pump-Handle Slam and I thought it was fantastic.

The people started reacting to him, he started getting a half-decent pop during his entrance, Bobby Heenan was putting him over strong on commentary and he was gaining some momentum.

Then, a week or two before the Starrcade '98 main event of Nash & Goldberg, Nash pinned Wrath in 90 seconds to build him up for Goldberg. That didn't need to happen. I was pissed. Nash already had enough momentum behind him, but since Nash got the pencil around that time, he booked himself to end Wrath's streak.

In 2001, when the WWF brought in Adams & Clarke to feud with the Brothers Of Destruction, I was optimistic. But, Adams and Clarke blew so many spots during their tag match against 'Taker & Kane at Unforgiven that year, Vinnie Mac posted Brian Adams to developmental to shake his ring rust and Clarke just left altogether.

Every now and then I'll re-watch some old Nitro's and enjoy his matches.

Might not seem like much since its basically a guilty pleasure for everyone, but I still mark out for old Hogan stuff. Kind've a current guilty pleasure.

As for some others, I always wished Alex Wright could've gotten more of a push in WcW(lol now that one sounds like real guilty pleasure just typing it out). I don't even know why, I mean I hate dancing and he wasn't anything spectacular in the ring. I was never a fan of the Warrior but I always marked out for The Renegade, and that was after he became a jobber. I've always liked Viscera/Big Daddy V, but never Mabel. The guys pretty good in the ring for being so fat.

A guilty pleasure angle that everyone seems to hate were the gang wars. I loved them, that was a lot of guys feuding at one time, I think that always gets me going.

Kane.

Might not seem that out there, but even if he was Khali limited I would still go nuts for the guy.
When I first started watching back in 2000, he was a beast. I totally bought into him everytime he faced someone, and never thought he would lose. Still a huge fan.

My guilty pleasure would have to go to the one and only Prince Of Punk Shannon Moore, weather it was his hair style or in ring ability (i think he is one of the best cruiserweights ever) From his debut in WCW to his "Mattitude era" to defeating A-Train in one of the upsets of the year. He also recieved 2 world heavyweight championship shots on Smackdown one against Brock Lesnar and another against John Bradshaw Layfield udner the name El Gran Luchadore.

Going to TNA was a big move for Shannon Moore, Dixie Carter thought Moore could bring that next level to the X-Division and so did i unfortunatly he didnt last long, but they didnt use him in the X-Division they made him start a rivarly with AJ Styles which didnt last that long.

When they brought him back to ECW he was re-devolped as a jobber when he moved to Smackdown and formed a tag team with Scotty 2 Hotty and Jimmy Wang Yang which didnt last long when Scotty was released he formed a good tag team with Jimmy Wang Yang which got them several WWE Tag titles matches but they never won the tag titles

Though Shannon Moore never really acomplished anything in his wrestling career he never won the Cruiserweight Title in the WWE never won the X-Division title in TNA he is still someone i will always be a fan off

There are a lot of guys that come to mind, but the one that sticks out most to me would have to be The Cat.

From his ridiculous dancing, to his incessant bragging of being a "three-time World Karate Champion," to his challenges directed toward anybody in the back, where he usually got his ass kicked anyway...to his theme music in WCW.....this guy was just classic.

Of course, his best highlight would have to be his involvement on the 2004 Royal Rumble, where he literally danced for a minute and a half before he was eliminated. Check out the vid below...it's even better because of Taz's involvement.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a_xKjEV4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a_xKjEV4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

And another classic from WCW:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3-DG63bWX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3-DG63bWX4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

There are a lot of guys that come to mind, but the one that sticks out most to me would have to be The Cat.

From his ridiculous dancing, to his incessant bragging of being a "three-time World Karate Champion," to his challenges directed toward anybody in the back, where he usually got his ass kicked anyway...to his theme music in WCW.....this guy was just classic.

Of course, his best highlight would have to be his involvement on the 2004 Royal Rumble, where he literally danced for a minute and a half before he was eliminated. Check out the vid below...it's even better because of Taz's involvement.

I actually got to hang out with Ernest Miller for a while back in 2000. WCW was at the time taping Nitro & Thunder here in Australia in October and I had won a Backstage 'Party' with the Wrestlers lol.

He hung around and bullshitted with us for about an hour before the show (Nitro in Brisbane).

He was a really nice guy and funny as hell...

It's hard for me to determine who I should consider a "guilty pleasure" and who I shouldn't. Isn't professional wrestling itself largely considered a "guilty pleasure" by most? I can't remember any one wrestler that I was basically embarrassed to admit I enjoyed, which is basically the definition of a "guilty pleasure."

In another thread -- which asked us to name our Top 10 favorite wrestlers of all time -- I did happen to notice my tastes vary from the norm here. Going over that list, I had people who appeared time and time again on other people's countdowns, too -- names like "Mr. Perfect" Curt Hennig, "Ravishing" Rick Rude, Shawn Michaels. However, I'd have to say that a few of my choices would probably be considered by others "guilty pleasures."

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin: This guy was such an amazing heel! Back in the early '80s, he racked up a string of incredible title victories throughout the south. In the AWA he up-ended The Road Warriors for the World tag team titles (with "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal). Later in NWA, he had classic battles with "Nature Boy" Ric Flair before joining The Freebirds to win tag gold again (repeatedly!). When he was in WCCW, though, he was particularly amazing. Those feuds with the Von Erichs are classics now!

Goldust: Man, I hated Dustin Rhodes, but as soon as he put on that gold bodysuit and facepaint, he became genuinely interesting! I am still a mark for "The Bizarre One," and I don't care who knows it!

Finally, the biggest of my guilty pleasures and probably one of the least likely to appear on anyone else's list of top wrestlers actually reminds me a little of the man who started this thread (Kamala)...

One Man Gang: The man from Halsted St. in Chicago was one of my favorite big men ever! Of course I was sad with the way he was fed to Hogan during his days in WWF (and even sadder when he became "Akeem, The African Dream"), but when he was running roughshod over the competition in the old Midsouth, I loved him! He scared the shit out of me as a kid, and that just goes to show how well he did his job. I marked out big-time when he won the UWF Heavyweight title during those days. Hell, I was even excited when OMG was "reborn" into the Dungeon of Doom in WCW and won the U.S. Title (short-lived as his reign was).

I guess those are three of the first set of "guilty pleasures" that come to mind. I had many more, mind you -- from Barry Horowitz (who I always thought was incredibly under-utilized and could have made a great tag team champ) to Brad & Bart Batten, a couple of identical twin jobbers who I always thought WCCW should have given a better push as tag champs.

Shane Douglas and Raven

I guess it's because I was an original ECW fan in the mid 90's when these two made the biggest impact on me. I still wish Raven could have gotten the push he should have received in the WWE. Nobody does a better promo!

Two words: Disco Inferno.
I started watching WCW around '98 and instantly liked him. His theme music and dancing was awesomely cheesy but he actually was pretty decent in the ring, at least worthy of being a good midcarder. He's one of those guys who was never going to win the world title and still was consistantly entertaining whenever he was on TV.
PS: I hope Gilberti still cruises the forums so he can once again be reasured of his awesomeness.

Vampyro from wcw. had a rep for being very stiff in the ring. but i liked his promos and mysterious angle. fued w/ sting was so so. but i wish id seen more.

Two words: Disco Inferno.
I started watching WCW around '98 and instantly liked him. His theme music and dancing was awesomely cheesy but he actually was pretty decent in the ring, at least worthy of being a good midcarder. He's one of those guys who was never going to win the world title and still was consistantly entertaining whenever he was on TV.
PS: I hope Gilberti still cruises the forums so he can once again be reasured of his awesomeness.

I actually met Glen in Vegas. He was bouncing at the Sapphire a gentlemans club. He seemed like a cool guy, and I told he about my fav moment with him. It was when Giant was still in WCW and he had this gimmick when he would smoke on his way to the ring. When Giant entered the ring Disco got on the mic and said " hey don't you know smoking can stunt your growth " hahhaa, Giant than crushed him in a matter of seconds. CLassic Disco

I have to say the A-Train aka Albert

The guy was an incredibly stiff worker and the majority of his matches consisted of nothing but high impact power moves. He was the epitome of a jobber to the stars, a mean destructive heel that would steamroll a majority of the lesser talents, but would then lose decisively almost every time he fought one of the major talents.

One of the reasons why Kane became my favorite wrestler was due to his violent and destructive style, because of this I found myself liking others that wrestled similarly; the A- Train included.

The series of matches Kane and Albert had for the IC title are some of my favorites.

Albert was also extremely fast and agile considering his size, and in my opinion, never really gets any credit for that. Though his lack of acclimation could be accredited to his relatively bland nature.

There have been so many that would follow into this category, but i have always loved my joke/cowardly heels.

Ravishing Rick Rude for the mic work, and the swivelling of the hips. I marked out big
time when he beat Warrior at WM V.

Honky Tonk Man is another i liked for his antics and the lucky wins he'd fluke.

The Cat back in WCW when he became the dancer and also when he was calling out Scott Norton.

Norman Smiley in the pre "Big Wiggle" days as well.

I have said it once, and I will say it again. Phantasio, even though he was only on for one match. Is my ultimate guilty pleasure. Think about it. A wrestler who can do magic? Think of all the sweet ass things he couldve done as a heel. Making titles disappear. Shit, this guy really had all the potential to become a great midcarder. As a kid, this guy would have been fascinating, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. The WWF seriously missed the boat on this guy. Legit, he couldve been something.

Deuce and Domino. They were one of the first wrestlers I saw when I decided to start watching wrestling, and I loved them. They had a cool unique gimmick, and I liked their theme. I've always liked the "greaser"/50's look, and they played their parts well.

I have to admit I was a big Glacier mark when he started... still am kinda. every time I played Total Extreme Wrestling I'd try and push him to the moon and back again. his gimmick was fresh at the time and he had amazing potential. however he never got over with the crowd so they stuck him with the mid-card.

I also have to admit I was a Jerry Lynn mark. I'm an old school ECW fan as well and when I saw Lynn wrestle it was like almost watching a masterpiece. everybody I knew back then was an RVD mark. they HATED Jerry Lynn with a passion but I'll tell you his matches with RVD is what catapulted both to stardom

Mark for Rikishi Fatu he held it down for the big guys. Made me feel cool that fat people knew how to dance. I was always selfconcious bout my weight growing up then I saw the big man bust a move.

Mark for Rikishi Fatu he held it down for the big guys. Made me feel cool that fat people knew how to dance. I was always selfconcious bout my weight growing up then I saw the big man bust a move.

Rikishi was my choice too.

I know that he isn’t one of the best big man ever like Vader and Bam Bam are, but he was always fun to watch. He might not have been the best, but he sure was entertaining, to me at least. I loved his dancing routine and everything he did.

Also, I was extremely happy when I found it he was going to appear in TNA and might even join them for a while. Unfortunately, he didn’t end up joining them because he thought he was more valuable than he really was. Still though, I hope to see him in TNA or even the WWE again someday. He’s definitely my guilty pleasure when it comes to pro-wrestlers.

This is easy....but it's a tag team not an individual wrestler.

Power & Glory

I have no clue why but they were my favorite tag team from the first match I saw of theirs to their last. Actually maybe not my favorite, but up there. I hated the way they were fed to L.O.D. at WM7 but I'm probably the only person who was.....Plus they had the sickest finisher ever. I'm surprised no tag team since has stolen it.

This probably shouldn't count as a LOT of people loved them, but mine would be Demolition.

I think IMO they were the best tag team ever. They didn't have the best move set, they didn't fly off the top ropes, they didn't use ladders.

But what they did do, they did perfectly. Their gimmick, ripoff or not, was perfect for them. I liked Ax better than Smash.

Another one, I believe his name was Mike Steele? Might be wrong. He was a jobber, would scream and shit, he was funny.

HTM was a great one. I was a HUGE mark for Killer Bee's. Doink was another one. Heel doink that is. La Parka in WCW was fucking great. His little dance LOL right before Goldberg speared him, classic. Theres more, but that is a few

This is easy....but it's a tag team not an individual wrestler.

Power & Glory

I have no clue why but they were my favorite tag team from the first match I saw of theirs to their last. Actually maybe not my favorite, but up there. I hated the way they were fed to L.O.D. at WM7 but I'm probably the only person who was.....Plus they had the sickest finisher ever. I'm surprised no tag team since has stolen it.

I loved Power & Glory too! Then again, I always liked Hercules Hernandez. He was much more established on the Southern indie circuit (FL, Mid-South) than the WWF ever allowed him to be. When they put P&G together, I thought for sure those boys were going to get a run with the gold... But, alas, nada!

I've been known to have a guilty pleasure when it comes to wrestling. I made one of those Top 10 all time favorite lists in the Wrestling Lists section and Sandman, Brutus Beefcake, Sabu and Road Dogg were all included- none of which are seen by the masses as great wrestlers.

However, if I had to pick my guiltiest pleasure of them all I'd have to go with New Jack. If there were ever a one trick pony, it's this guy but I can't help but love him. I'm a sucker for any match that involves Jack. He's the craziest motherfucker to ever set foot in a wrestling ring. Not to mention that I would clear my schedule any day of the week to sit down and watch a shoot interview with this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back