Which Tag Teams did you like from years past that many may not remember today?

The Headshrinkers looked tough SOBs especially when they first arrived in 92/93. Wrestling in bare feet etc, I remember the match Fatu had with Bret Hart in a single's match on TV where Bret juiced big time. This was around the time there manager Afa took them to the ring. They lost there appeal to me when they turned face and wore boots though.

My Top 3 Tag-Teams Of All-time
1. The Hardys (Jeff with his insane stunts and in-ring ability, Matt Hardy the more technical and but he was a hell of a high-flyer back in the early days, still my favorite tag-team match of all-time is the No Blood Ladder match with E&C)

2. The Rockers (Talent up the wall, Michaels One of the greatest of all-time, If jannetty would have stayed clean, he would have had a more successful carrer. But, I do enjoy seeing him comeback from time after time, I would have loved to seen the rockers reunite again, Jannetty still can move for being almost 50, and, Michaels speaks for himself.).

3. LOD (Powerhouse tag team that will kick your ass, Too bad Hawk passed in 2003, I would have loved to seen hawk instead of Heidenreich for Animal's 2005 comeback, I think they deserved one more run in the wwe)

Honorable mentions 3 Count (I'm a big fan of Omega), Too Cool, E&C, and I really enjoyed when they weren't jobbing Moore and Yang.

I noticed nobody mentioned one team from ECW that was almost always dominating the scene; the Eliminators. Perry Saturn & John Kronus were the perfect tag team for ECW, they fought everyone. Kronus had amazing agility for a near 300 pounder, to go along with the mat & martial arts skills of Saturn. They had a vicious feud with the Gangstas over the titles over the course of a year plus. Finally, their finishing move; Total Elimination. NOBODY got up from that.

I'm with you Sex & Wrestling, Fire and Ice was my number 1 Tag Team back in the day besides Harlem Heat. Usually I'm a fan of the Speed/Technician With the Power/Size mix (sort of like Jerishow) but Fire and Ice just looked like they would kill you in a match lol.

That's what I really miss...REAL tag teams with matching music, uniforms,everything. Now it seems doesn't exist at all anymore, except for created wrestlers in Smackdown Vs Raw 2010,

Probably X-Pac and Kane. Seriously, they were a proper tag team, with a proper story and this team is what began Kane's metamorphasis from a robot gimmick to being a more typical wrestler, which is why he is still around today. This team were around in the dying embers of the original DX after Triple H, Chyna and Billy Gunn turned heel but before the rest of them did. I think they probably won a couple of tag titles, I can't be arsed to check, but they tend to get forgotten, because both men were in a shitload of teams, but they were really over during their existence, and I really liked them.

My four top tag teams are rarely spoken of nowadays. Two of my top four have been mentioned here, but my other two haven't. I'm actually surprised no one has said my favorite tag team of all time.

4. The Natural Disasters - Maybe not the most technical team, but these guys were straight up mean. Two huge men that could really dominate in the ring, I always remember enjoying them whenever they had matches.

3. Bossman & Bull Buchanan - I wouldn't think anyone else would really like this team, but I loved it. Bossman was solid in the ring, and as Vince's crony and personal security throughout the attitude era, he always drew good heat. I always liked Buchanan because he was very agile for a such a big guy and I thought he looked the part as well as complimented Bossman's style and moveset. Plus, I always loved the finish with Bossman giving his sidewalk slam to set up Buchanan's guillotine leg drop off the top rope. Individually, these guys didn't seem like major threats, but together I thought they seemed dangerous.

2. The APA. These were two bad mutha's. It didn't matter if these guys had the straps, the crowd was always into the APA. I loved them when they were just the Acolytes, but once they became the APA most people ate it up. They would just toss people around and just carried such a serious presence whenever they hit the ring. But best of all, they were booked great. They always looked like the favorites in a tag match or tourney, but if they lost, no one ever thought less of them. They would just come out the next week, kick butt, drink beer, and get right back on track. But although I loved their booking, I need a little more double-teaming and coordination in a team if it's going to be my #1. Which leads me to...

1. The Headbangers. I can't decide if I would call them underrated. I guess I will say they were. But look up some of their matches, even if you know who they are, and count how many double team moves take place. I swear, these guys would spend more time doing tandem offense than individual wrestling. That's what I love to see in a tag team. One tags in, hits 1-2 moves, then tags his partner so they could do a double team. Rinse and repeat. Nowadays, tag teams are made up of guys who tag in to do some signature moves, then tag out to take a rest. I loved the pairing of Jericho and Big Show, but how much double teaming went on in their matches? Not all that much. And I'm not talking about when one guy holds the opponent still so the other guy can kick him in the gut. I'm talking about real double-team offense. And you know what? Mosh and Thrasher really didn't have their own personal finishers. Their finisher was the Stage Dive, a double team (and an awesome one at that). Look up their match against a very young Hardy Boyz team. You'll see what I'm saying.

Great question- I have a few answers:

The British Bulldog and Owen Hart- besides their Hart Foundation allegiance, from the mid to late 90's they were tag team partners and champs for almost a year.

Owen Hart and Yokozuna- another solid tag team, winning the titles at WrestleMania XI.

Money Inc.- Ted DiBiasi and IRS was the best heel tag team in the early 90's, 3 time tag team champs.

The Hollywood Blondes, The Impact Players and especially Strike Force were all teams that not only are underrated in their place in wrestling history but were all solid workers within their era, whether tagging together, or as singles stars. I definitely feel as though they are forgotten when great tag teams are brought up.

Im going with Harlem Heat, This was a great tag team between 2 brothers that did an amazing job, and help the WCW tag team division alot. They were a pretty solid team and they also had some good tag team skill, and i think that no one gives them credit for helping the tag team division back in the WCW era. So Harlem Heat IMO is the team that mostly had fade away and most of us had forgotten about them.

Really everyone come on I have only seen the Road Warriors mentioned twice. They were they greatest tag team in history. They were strong, athletic, and entertaining. I dont think that I will ever forgive Vince McMahon for that God awful match between LOD and x-pac and kane. I understand that you want to put X-pac and kane over but having LOD come out to a huge pop from the crowd only to have them get destroyed in less than two minutes was sad. They are now and will always be the greatest tag team in history despite the WWE treating them like shit all the time. RIP Hawk.

Very simple why LOD was only mentioned twice: they're so famous pretty much any wrestling fan can recognize 'em as a team. Now one that I thought was just as entertaining was Jushin Lyger and Ultimo Dragon. There's a match of them vs. Sabin/Shelley that was pretty damn awesome

money inc for me.the gimmick was so good and irs played so well off the mdm and anything with ted sr is an instant win in my book

My favorite tag team of all time is Too Cool. I loved those wanskters so much. They would go out there and do their dancing and stuff and the crowd loved them and then Scotty 2 Hotty would hit the worm and after the match they would always clear house and dance.

And usually, they got other people to dance with them too. When they added Rikishi, it was outright awesome because they had their big guy and they were more of a stable at that point.

Does it get better than Too Cool clearing the ring at Royal Rumble 2000 and dancing?

Best. Tag. Team. Ever.

Well it looks like the two teams I was thinking of many do not remember or just did not like.

The first of the two teams is The Oriental Express. I thought this was a good team. They had some pretty great matches with The Rockers, their matches at The Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania 6 are tag team wrestling at its finest. Plus having Mr.Fuji as a manager always gets extra points in my book.

The next team I remember watching form on an edition of Superstars.
Paul Roma just got done jobbing and the heel put a beat down on him. After the commercial break Roma was still lying in the ring. The Rockers came out to have their match,but attended to Roma instead. Roma made it seem like he did not know who put the boots to him,and got pissed at Marty and Shawn. The Rockers tried to explain what went down, but Roma wanted none of it. Then Hercules came to the ring, to make peace I thought, but he quickly sided with Roma and turned on The Rockers. So begun the team of... Power and Glory.
They had an awesome finishing move, Hercules would do a suplex off the top rope and Roma would hit a splash off the other rope.

So the two old school teams that it truly seems like many forgotten are:

The Oriental Express
and
Power and Glory

Not my favorites by no means, but I did like them.

A couple of teams that haven't been mentioned are ones that were around back when Ga. Championship wrestling turned into WCW. The Assasins , two barrel shapped guys that were perinial heels that had good match ups with the face team of Mr Wrestling 1 and 2 , two white masked wrestlers that both had good in ring skills. The Wrecking Crew was also in that scene , but are fairly well known, though rarely mentioned any more. Ole, Lars and Gene Anderson were one of the all time great teams.

A couple of teams that haven't been mentioned are ones that were around back when Ga. Championship wrestling turned into WCW. The Assasins , two barrel shapped guys that were perinial heels that had good match ups with the face team of Mr Wrestling 1 and 2 , two white masked wrestlers that both had good in ring skills. The Wrecking Crew was also in that scene , but are fairly well known, though rarely mentioned any more. Ole, Lars and Gene Anderson were one of the all time great teams.

Nice ones, I forgot about the Assassins and the pre-Horsemen Andersons. Now here's one that go along the lines of the masked tag wrestlers: Los Conquistadores. I'm talking the original incarnation of Jose Rivera and Jose Estrada. They actually weren't too bad but were ultimately buried in the huge amount of tag talent the WWF had at the time.

I've got three...

1. The Sheepherders. They were hardcore before hardcore was mainstream. Look at their barbed wire cage match with the Fantastics...way before their time and way before the WWF/E *****fied them.

2. Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez. Yes, I date myself, but they were the most hated tag team in Texas prior to the Free Birds. Their feud with the Von Erich's was epic, and when they split it was so over that the police actually questioned Adams in Gino's death.

3. The U.S. Express. Barry Windham and Mike Rotunda. No real reason, just loved them as a kid.

I've got three...

1. The Sheepherders. They were hardcore before hardcore was mainstream. Look at their barbed wire cage match with the Fantastics...way before their time and way before the WWF/E *****fied them.

2. Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez. Yes, I date myself, but they were the most hated tag team in Texas prior to the Free Birds. Their feud with the Von Erich's was epic, and when they split it was so over that the police actually questioned Adams in Gino's death.

3. The U.S. Express. Barry Windham and Mike Rotunda. No real reason, just loved them as a kid.

Great first post, btw. And like the Ronnie Garvin reference with the Hands of Stone. I was going to mention the US Express! Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo were a dynamic, young tag team that ended up with GREAT singles successes in their careers. Actually Windham was more successful as a singles wrestler, but Rotunda was a valuable part of the Old School genre. From his time as a member of the Varsity Club to Michael Wallstreet, to I.R.S., Rotunda was a dynamic wrestler.

This tag team actually held the WWF World Tag Team titles. That's baffling to me. Because many remember Windham as an NWA guy.

Also... a little known tag team of Brutus Beefcake and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine feuded with the US Express a bit in the mid '80s. Talk about an obscure tag team.

The Midnight Expresss was a awesome team. They held the WCW world tag team titles and the WCW U.S. tag team titles. They also had one of the best entrence ever and their them music was kick butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back