• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which mid card title will stay?

Which Would You Prefer?

• Intercontinental

• United States

• Both?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
So with the unification upcoming, and the mid card titles to disolve into one, which one should stay? The US, or the IC?

Thread isntr about which one WILL stay, becuase obviously, its gonna be the IC. The WWE wouldn't get rid of one of its original belts for a WCW/NWA original, sorry.

Which belt has the real greater lineage? Prestige? Which would you prefer?

I would prefer the US, mostly becuase the IC looks like shit. I hate that belt design. I would say the IC in general has been booked worse in the recent past, but has really revved up in the immeadiate past, with fueds between Mcyntire and Morrison, Rey and Jericho, and currently Doplph and Kofi.

So I would say the IC is probably the stronger of the two at this point, and should stay.

I agree completely.

Obviously it will be the IC title, but at the same time it should be. The IC Title has meant more in the annals of the WWE and has been an integral part of the company for almost 40 years. Throughout the history of wrestling the US title has meant just as much if not more than the IC title, but not in WWE. The IC title and title matches have been a part of such great moments in WWE's history and has played a part in some of its biggest moments, Jimmy Snuka/Don Muraco, Perfect/Hart, Savage/Steamboat,HBK/Razor the list goes on and on, it has been a huge stepping stone to the world title in the past and winning that title a lot of times meant that your time is coming.

No offense to the US title but it was part of NWA/WCW history and if one title should go, it should be the US title. In WWE its only been around 7 years and was only brought in because of the brand split in the first place.

I do prefer the US title look as well, but that's an easy fix, not too hard to create a sweet looking belt (although recent titles have looked terrible).

IC title should and will definitely be the one they'll keep, it would make no sense not too. Besides, IC title sounds better than US titles anyways.

There is no doubt about it. The IC title belt will be the one to stay. With that said, I agree that the IC title looks really horrible. Personally, I have always despised it. However, if they were to change the appearance of it, then it would be a different story (kind of).

I would prefer the US belt to stay soley because I have enjoyed the past matches that it has produced over the long run a lot more than the IC. Classic matches like John Cena vs. Big Show, John Cena vs. Eddie Guerrero (street brawl), the infamous 25 second match between Orlando Jordan and Chris Benoit, or the many matches made during the WCW days etc. To me, the US belt means alot more,

As to which has the most prestiege...if we go by recent history, I would definately have to say the IC. The US title belt's "prestiege" has been reduced greatly as of late. Not that I have anything against the Miz. Not at all. It is just that with the Miz being busy with his activities he has had throughout this year: Tag team champions, MitB, NXT, Daniel Bryan...all of the attention towards the US belt has been robbed. In fact, I doubt that in all of his reign as champion, he has not defended the belt more than 5 times. I believe this hurts the belt greatly. In my opinion, the US belt has turned into a "fashion" belt rather than "championship" belt.

In my opinion, in order for a belt to have "prestige" it should be something that looks like its worth fighting for. When the belt has been put on the line, the two opponents should look "driven and have "passion to try and get the belt. This can be done by pulling off great matches as well as cutting descent promos that makes the feud over the belt be something to look forward to. But if the belt doesn't get defended AT ALL, then really, it means nothing. It is as if it were never there.

Therefore, I say the IC belt has the more prestige as it has been defended and the matches have been something to look forward to. Though, quite honestly, I think the belt sucks.

i think the ic belt will stay but im curriouse if the belt will keep the i.c. name and design. i could see them keeping the name (mainly because i dont know what else you'd call it other than u.s. or i.c.) but a new belt design wouldnt be a bad idea. hopefully bryan gets the u.s. title at NoC so we can have some actuall feuds before the belt disapears. personally im not for the unification of the mid-card and world titles. with two seperate shows it only makes sense to have two different sets of belts. the wwe has a hard enough time comming up with new feuds. two less belts just means more superstars will have less tv time. now this isnt bad with the divas and tagteam division because there are only so many good divas and tagteams. but with all the ME and mid-card guys (alot of who are very talented and underutalized) some will be lost. chasing a belt gives them something to do. any gold is better than no gold

I'd actually like to see BOTH the IC and US Title stick around. I feel like the US Title is one thing that WCW didn't screw up too badly, and the IC Title has got so much history and so many former champions... Mid-card championships have a long history of creating great champions, or recognizing great workers. Wrestling wouldn't be around without Steamboats, Savages, Harts, and Michaels's working that midcard like their life depended on it, and these titles make that midcard important.

I think it'd be nice for each show to have their own mid-card title, but have the World Title, Tag Title, and Women's Title be undisputed and change between shows. And with that said, I'd love to see the Cruiserweight Title return and also move between shows. But, we'll see...

I think it should be the IC Title for a slightly different reason - the US belt doesn't have the same prestigious history IMO because the NWA/ WCW had another secondary belt in the TV Title and they also had a further singles belt in the Light Heavyweight/ Cruiserweight belt. For the most of the WWWF/ WWF title history, the only other singles belt was the IC belt. Was the question about which Tag Belts (WWe or NWA/WCW) I'd use the same reasoning with the US Tag Belts (even though I've always felt that NWA/ WCW had the better tag division).

I feel like the WCW US title was equivalent to the WWF/E European title. And contrary to all the other posts, the IC title is my favorite design of any belt. The US title does have a cool, unique design, but I hope they never redesign the IC belt.

I would say the belt to stay is the IC. The reasons being its the belt from the WWE. The United States Championship is the belt WCW created, and so why would WWE, the company that was in a battle for its life with WCW for years, and then utterly destroyed and bought out that company, keep its title around?

Also the Intercontinental Championship just means more than the US championship to the WWE and probably the WWE fan base, especially with its recent build up in prestige through title reigns from former worlds champions, and solid feuds recently on Smackdown.

Now the United States Championship has a storied history, its been held by great wrestlers in the past, but the fact its not really a WWE created belt is the major thing to be held against it. Vince wants his own belt, not another's, and thats the biggest thing here.

So unless when combined the belts become a totally new belt, the IC belt will take its place. And Im sure we can all look forward to that, because with a belt that can be on both brands and all of the new combinations of people whom will fight over to it, this new belt is going to make for some excellent television.

So with the unification upcoming, and the mid card titles to disolve into one, which one should stay? The US, or the IC? Which belt has the real greater lineage? Prestige? Which would you prefer

First of all Norcal, I don't know if it's because you've been gone or I haven't been paying attention, but I haven't seen you around in the WWE section in awhile. So...welcome back if you've been gone. If not, you know...whatever. Disregard.

So, normally when titles are unified they are given a new name and new design. However, if the WWE Tag Team titles are any indication of things to come, it looks like one is just going to fade into the other. I think if that happens, the IC title is obviously going to be the one to stay. But what does that mean for the US title that has been around LONGER and has been held by just as many legends of the industry? Apparently if this happens the US title is going to disappear... And I'm sorta not ok with that. I think what is going to happen is the IC title is going to stick around, BUT...there's always the chance they could just make a brand new title. And I think either way there's a good possibility that a new belt is in order either way...

After going through the history of both belts I really can't decide based on the past which belt SHOULD stay. They both have equal right in my opinion. From my own experience as a fan, I can remember about 12 years of both titles, and I would have to go with the IC title. The US is a good belt, and it made the early career of John Cena without a doubt. But the IC title gave us great feuds in the post-Attitude Era, and I actually remember a time when people would fight over who was the best IC champion... Shelton Benjamin and Chris Jericho are probably my two favorites in the last decade. Like I said, I will be sad to see the US title go, because it's been around for a long time. But the IC title is a WWE/F original.

It's definately going to be the Intercontinental Championship that stays. Yes, the WWE has no reason to keep a title that the WCW created. WWE has no reason to keep a title that another company brought into the world of wrestling.

The Intercontinental championship has way more prestige than The United States Championship by far. I also tend to agree i think that the IC Championship means more to the company and more to the WWE Universe. I think there has been better feuds for the IC championship more than the US title. The Us title constantly dosen;t change from champion to champion as to were the IC tilte does.

There is absolutely no doubt that the US Title has been held by some of the best in the business. The major set back is that this isn't a WWE made title. We all know Vince want's to keep titles that he has created. Vince plain and simple want's to keep material he has created not some other company.

But if these two belts become combined we will no longer see the IC title or the US but until then i hope they just settle and use the IC as the belt that all the mid card superstars compete for.

It will simply become... The United States Intercontinental championship. I think it's great two. 4 championships. It will be a good way to promote new talent.

Not also that, but with one mid-card championship instead of two, it will mean a lot more now.

Or maybe one show with have that Championship, and the other have the Mid-card belt. Or both shows will have the champions travel. It will be nice, it will make Smack-down more exciting.

I think the combination belt makes a lot of sense. I'm glad to see this happen. They can go after the sports market. Two conferences one Championship. I like it.

im glad that it will be the IC belt that stays, its by far my favorite title of all time simply because of the amazing feuds it has inspired in the past, with the unification we will see that title start to hold more prestige again, which makes me as giddy as a fat guy at golden corral.

I think the IC title should stay it has tremendous lineage and it's a WWE original title. There have been many low points for the title bad choices of champions among other thing lowered it's prestige.

The US title at one time was prestiges many legends have held it. Then towards the end of WCW it's legacy got destroyed.They hot potatoed so much I never knew who the champ was.

I think they should keep both,but if one goes I hope the IC stays.

So with the unification upcoming, and the mid card titles to disolve into one, which one should stay? The US, or the IC?

Thread isntr about which one WILL stay, becuase obviously, its gonna be the IC. The WWE wouldn't get rid of one of its original belts for a WCW/NWA original, sorry..

Why not? they got rid of the Light heavyweight championship for WCW's cruiserweight championship.

Anyways, to your point, I would like to see them keep the united states title. if for no other reason lately it seems to be more of a stepping stone than the intercontinental. John Cena held the US championship untill right before he won his first WWE championship and he has consistently remained in the championship picture. The Miz is the united states champion and everybody knows he is the next main eventer. What person has held the intercontinental championship and then went on to consistenly main event? Randy Orton? please he held the intercontinental championship (was a great IC champ in my opinion) lost it and won the world heavyweight championship, but he had a month long reign, got drafted to smackdown and dropped to the upper mid card for a while before working his way back up to the main event. I believe both have equal ammounts of credible history with equal ammounts of great champions so I have to go with recently what championship has helped build the most star? I say united States Championship.

It defiantly should be the IC title because like everyone else has said, the history. I personally like the design but wouldn't mind a new one as long as it wasn't something as atrocious as the new tag belts. *cough Gladiator helmets on the front really? I'm all for old school but those things look terribad cough*

The IC title should be the one to stay just purely because it is a WWF/E Title and no matter how its prestige is at the moment, it is still the secondary title to the WWE Championship and the stepping stone to greatness in the WWE.

How many US champions have gone on to become the WWE champion in the last 10 years compared to IC champions?

Yeah i agree with almost everybody on this. The IC title will undoubtedly be th eone to stay, for the shear fact that it is a title the WWE molded and added prestige to it themselves. The US title has not even been in the WWE for a decade yet, and their past champions are mainly NWA, WCW guys obviously. I see them keeping the IC title for the shear fact of it's lineage, also currently i feel it is much more prestigious than the US title because it has been defended a lot latelty and has been showcased a bit more lately.

I'm ultimately not sure where I stand on this. On one hand, I do like the idea of unifying both titles, thereby creating a new championship belt. On the other, there's no reason to believe that both titles won't get a face lift if the decision to keep both of them.

Having two mid-card titles might not really be such a bad idea at that, though fewer titles does mean that wrestlers are really going to have to work hard in order to show and to prove that they're undoubtedly the one that should be carrying a strap. Also, fewer titles means that the possibility of lame duck and untimely runs will reduce dramatically. But, both IC and U.S. titles have long and historic lineages and it'd be a shame if one of them simply stopped being used.

I'm not sure that there's any single route the WWE can go that doesn't have some degree of downside.

Hold on a tic....you're basing keeping the US belt cause you don't care for the design of the IC belt? Fucking serious?
This is the WWE. The IC belt has WAY more prestige in the WWE than the US belt. And you said it yourself the US Title was a WCW/NWA creation.
Hart, Savage, Rude, Perfect, Honky (lol), Hardy, HHH, Michaels, The Rock, Austin, Owen, Santana, Piper, Flair, Warrior, Kofi, Orton, Morrison.....this is the lineage that you're throwing away cause you thiink the US belt looks better? Come on dude. Again...serious?
I'm all for new belt cause it's been a long ass time since the oval belt came out. And I will admit that I was never to fond of the design. Though it's lightyears better than the WWE hubcap.

OH! I voted to keep both. WHY? To much show. I wholeheartedly agree that there should be one WORLD Title but there's too many guy on the roster. Having two mid-card titles will help give them something to do. I also would like to see LESS World Title bouts on free TV, if any. When I was a kid that's why you wanted the PPV so damn bad cause you never saw Hogan defend the WWF Title on free tv. Having 2 mid card title will allow you to offer some amazing main events while holding the WWE World Title on a higher pedistal. IT WILL MEAN MORE!!!!! Then if you had a special occasion, or story, and had that World Title match on free TV your ratings will go up because it's now SPECIAL.

Hold on a tic....you're basing keeping the US belt cause you don't care for the design of the IC belt? Fucking serious?
This is the WWE. The IC belt has WAY more prestige in the WWE than the US belt. And you said it yourself the US Title was a WCW/NWA creation.
Hart, Savage, Rude, Perfect, Honky (lol), Hardy, HHH, Michaels, The Rock, Austin, Owen, Santana, Piper, Flair, Warrior, Kofi, Orton, Morrison.....this is the lineage that you're throwing away cause you thiink the US belt looks better? Come on dude. Again...serious?
I'm all for new belt cause it's been a long ass time since the oval belt came out. And I will admit that I was never to fond of the design. Though it's lightyears better than the WWE hubcap.

In fairness, WWe is not the WWWF/ WWF today. They are the history of American wrestling - they own the AWA, NWA/WCW and ECW (and many more) archives. Thinking in a WW(WF/F/e) limited way is not the way it should be (although if Vince follows normal habits - it is exactly the way he will think), a fair minded CEO would pick the best not the favorite.

OH! I voted to keep both. WHY? To much show. I wholeheartedly agree that there should be one WORLD Title but there's too many guy on the roster. Having two mid-card titles will help give them something to do. I also would like to see LESS World Title bouts on free TV, if any. When I was a kid that's why you wanted the PPV so damn bad cause you never saw Hogan defend the WWF Title on free tv. Having 2 mid card title will allow you to offer some amazing main events while holding the WWE World Title on a higher pedistal. IT WILL MEAN MORE!!!!! Then if you had a special occasion, or story, and had that World Title match on free TV your ratings will go up because it's now SPECIAL.

Except for the fact that some of my favorite IC title matches as well as US title, came on RAW/Smackdown! not PPV. As much as I don't like the design of the IC title either..Haven't since Austin threw it in the river. The name sounds better. The Intercontinental Championship. Sounds like something that can be defended/held by someone from anyone in the world at any place. The US title. Sounds like something that is strictly American. Chane the design, and unify them. Sounds good to me!

EDIT:gringo, you might not want to attack someone like NorCal. Pretty sure he eats up users like you for fun.

I would like to see both the US & IC belts stay around because of two reasons 1) the rich history that both titles have had in both NWA/WCW & WWE history respectively and 2) if used correctly could used as measuring sticks for the next competitors who could get a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship as they would be the #1 contenders for their respective brands.

I understand the history of both titles, but WWE isn't NWA or WCW. There is on reason for them to keep the US title since it is rarely defended and has nothing to do with the WWE. The IC title has a long history in the WWE and way back in the WWWF. I don't see WWE ridding themselves of so a prestigious title. The US title is like the Hardcore or European title. No one would miss it when its gone. I'm betting we will see a unification of the US Title and IC title at Night of Champions.

Simple, it's going to be the IC title for a few reasons.

Firstly because the IC title is A home grown title. It started in the WWWF, and Vince isn't going to throw away his company's title for a relic of WCW (and the NWA).

Secondly the IC title is supposed to represent that the title holder is the champion of both North and South America, as opposed to just the Unites States. The IC title has (by default) more prestige.

Thirdly of late the IC title has been booked far better than the US title. The US title of late has just given to the Miz who simply carries it around and does fuck all with it. At the very least the IC title has been regularly defended in some pretty damn good matches since last year.

We all know it's going to be the IC title. That's not what the thread's about.

Personally, I'd like them to keep the United States title. The US title looks way, way better than the IC. It's more colorful, and just more attractive in general. On top of that it seems a lot more like the stepping stone that the IC Title was in the past, with Kofi holding it and then getting into the feud with Orton, then The Miz holding it and going into the main event, and next hopefully Bryan will hold it and move up the card.

On top of that, it makes a lot more sense. The US Championship is for the most part defended in the US, because that's where WWE shows are held. Besides, isn't saying someone is the champ out of every continent the same as saying someone is the best out of everyone in the world?

It's either that or make a new midcard championship and give it a fancy name and a much better design than the IC Title. I just want them to get rid of that ugly belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back