Where do you stand on the issue: Running up the score

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
So I was listening to the Dan Patrick show and he had on former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson and they were talking about running up the score. Jimmy said he had no problem with it, the example they were using was the Pats-Jets game. He talked about how its not his players responsibility to take it easy and stop playing offense. And that players have performance incentives in their contracts and he did not want to be the one to stop them from making their money.

Now his comments I agree with 100%. Along with the fact the defense is paid to do one thing- stop the offense. I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as running up the score. The offense is paid to score and the defense to stop them. So why is there such a problem with the offense playing til the end?

I have no issue with the offense keeping the starters in the game either. Yes it is extremely stupid to leave them in there in a blowout because of the risk of injury. But that's their decision and if the players get injured then they that's what they get. I'm all for the teams continuing to play offense, doing what they are paid to do.

I feel the same for college. The system is set so that winning is not the entire thing anymore. Now you got to beat your opponents big time otherwise there's the chance you could be seen as struggling. Not a power. Is it dumb? Yes but that's the system so if Jim Harbaugh wants to go for two late in a blowout win over USC (which I thoroughly enjoyed) then I'm all for it.

Well that was a little rant from me. Now I'm curious what you think. When is it ok to "run up the score"? Is it ever ok? Do you have different views for different sports? What do you guys think?

It depends upon the level of play. College and down I'm firmly against running up the score. These are kids who are amateur athletes, who play football in addition to learning how to become productive members of society. There's really no reason to run the score up on kids, just to appease the egos of adults.

In the professional sports, it's a different animal. In the pros, everyone who is on the field is a contracted adult, whose job depends upon their performance, and the money they make from that job depending upon the plays they make. In the NFL, or NBA, or any other pro sports, I have no problem if a team plays hard and keeps trying to score every second of every game.

I'm against running up the score in the amateur leagues, as Sly also stated. There's simply no reason for it.

As for the pros, I'm slightly torn. In competitive games, or games that should be, then I'm all for it. If the Colts and Pats are playing in January, and the Colts have a 24 point lead, there's still every chance that the Patriots can come back, so I'd expect the Colts to want to score on every play.

In a meaningless game, then there's no reason for it. If the Cardinals are playing the Browns, and they have a 17 point lead in the first quarter, they can put it on cruise control, and still wind up with a 30 point win. No need to run up a 52-3 final score.

I agree that yes, offense is paid to score, defense paid to stop the scoring and they should continue to do so to make that money. However, it ultimately is the coaches decision and coaches are paid to make teams win. You rarely can win with injured starters, so if taking it easy at the end will get you the win, then i say play it safe. Thats said is for Major league sports.

College on the other hand is a different story. Yes, these people are still young but are old enough and should have been playing the game long enough handle a 50 point blowout in any sport. If you want to move up in the BCS rankings, by all means, put as many points on the board as possible. example, in a NCAA football game where the game is already sealed at 33-43, but the team with 43 has a high percentage chance at putting more points on the board, take that oppurtunity to solidify your win and prove you are a better team than your ranking states.

Anything below college is simple. Children need to learn and practice sportsmanship starting at a young age.

I am fine with running up the score in college, and I am MORE than fine with doing it in the pros.

In college, running up a score can effect the BCS rankings due to "margin of victory." If you are killing a defense and winning 49-0 at halftime, you run a bit more or pull a starter to prevent injury, fine, but if you decide to win 71-0 to make a case of dominance in a numerical formula like the BCS, that's fine too.

In the pros, they get paid a mess of money to play a game for a few hours, and they also want their OPPONENTS to treat them respectfully by not embarassing them? If you're a pro team who can't keep another pro team from running up the score in a salary capped league like the NFL, then the players on your pro team should be cut.

They took the margin of victory out of the BCS formula YEARS ago IC25. The only thing it may affect now is poll positions.

Fair enough. I didn't know they removed that. But still, positions in the polls count for an awful lot, and margin of victory would still weight in the eyes of a voter from ESPN / USA Today or the coaches, no?

Run the score, pad your stats.

If you are getting paid to have high stats, if you are getting people to come to your games, well then have your offense firing.

In the context of say basketball. Your team is up by 30 points, and their defense is shell shocked. You are trying to get your average to 25 points per game, well then I see no reason to turn it up, if you are heading into free agency.

Every so often it is great for your team to dominate another one. As much as some fans like competitive games, the once in a year blow out is really fun to watch, gives you a time to check the stats, seeing if your favourite player moved up the stats chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back