Should Schools have a class on Credit Scores?

Mrs Sexy

Occasional Pre-Show
Do you think schools should have a class that teaches you what a credit score is and how to read a credit report?

I personally believe they should. A lot of people know that they have a credit score, but do they really know what it means? Do they know how to read a credit report?

All I really know about credit reports is that the score goes down if you have unpaid bills. Medical bills are the highest ones on there. If you start paying on those unpaid bills, your score goes up.

Schools should have a class on this because a lot of people don't really know how to read a credit report. So in that class it should teach you what determines your credit score and how they come up with the numbers on your credit report.

So again, do you think schools should have a class on this?

Yes. I think it should be required for you to go through a course, or courses, more in depth about all things finiancial. Sure it's offered, but I don't believe it's the most common course. I think understanding, in this case a credit report, is more important for everyone than science experiments and high-level math. Everyone needs to understand finances, whereas you're required to receive education that helps only a particular crowd.

Roughly translated to: Should schools teach you things that actually matter? Hell yes. I change it simply because I don't think credit scores is an English thing? I could be wrong, but then yes, we definately do need a class on it.

Things such as how to write a C.V., how to apply to University, how to organise your finances..we should really be taught this in High School. It'd help me so much more than how to make electricity using water and wind, or the diferent types of rocks. Who gives a damn about that? School should be about what you'll need in the real world, not useless parts of information no one gives a damn about and will never use.

You do have credit reports in England, but it is not something you have ready access to and it is what people use before decciding to give you a loan or mortgage etc.

There is a hell of a lot of things that schools should teach and don't. My school taught something called "Personal, Health and Social Education". That should have taught people how to make a budget, how to write a CV, how to do the sorts of things that will help you get somewhere in life. The actual format of the lessons was this: drugs/alcohol/sex/smoking is bad, comedy legend Tastycles asks an inappropriate question to take the piss, gets sent out of the lesson, lesson continues. It is of no surprise to me that 80% of my contemporaries at school are now uncapable of performing basic tasks, and also either think that drugs have only negative consequences or have found out that they don't and are now "into them".

This sort of education would prevent the situations we all know about, such as massive personal debt.

In a related note, in food tech (home economics in America, I think?) I got taught to make bead and cakes. I literally never make bread or cakes. However, it does not teach you how to cook anything basic that you need. My ability to cook comes from the fact that there is never any food at my dad's house, so I had to make do with what was there. Not everyone has this experience, the other day I caught my flatmate using a cheat sheet to boil an egg. As an experiment I asked some old school friends how long you boil an egg for, and about half didn't know.

Schools should teach more things that gear people up for life, get rid of something shit if there's no time. Like Geography. People should come in and do talks about how hard it is to have a child and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back