• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where are the tweeners?

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
You know the guys that can be getting booed out of the ass one night and then the next night be cheered... For a while, Edge was the tweener (IMO) on Raw, but eventually he got sent to Smackdown where he's a full face I assumer... but like I'm talking about WWE bringing in a few new guys to play the tweener hand.

Like off of the top of my head, looking at the FCW roster, I would say bringing Tyler Black and Creed to the roster could work. Or maybe have Vance Archer ride the tweener wave... Speaking of waves, what about that Tyler Reks dude... and why not resign Ortiz?

Anyway, simple few questions... Where are the tweeners? And if you think someone could play the roll well, who would that be?

Where are tweeners? Off the damn card where they belong.

Being booed one week and cheered the next is not a good thing. At all. It means you're shit at your job. As a wrestler your job is to work the crowd into loving/hating you with your work. If you can't get a consistent reaction you're shit at your job.

Gotta disagree about tweeners being shit. Jericho is a perfect example of a potential tweener. He can go from WWE's most hated heel to the most cheered man in the ring and back again in a single match. In fact I'd go so far as to say that it takes a lot more effort to be an effective tweener than a straight heel or face. Edge can somewhat fill this role too, and Randy Orton is a tweener (stop pretending he is a face guys, really). But I do agree that they (tweeners) don't belong on the card for the most part, it gets confusing, fans may be uninterested in someone who changes their attitude weekly, and it takes real talent like Jericho, Orton, or Austin to play a convincing tweener that people could get behind.

And then of course, there is Undertaker who is cheered like a face yet could tombstone little kids and still be cheered as such.

I'm not a big fan of tweeners. I think that it makes it harder to build compelling story lines around a character that fans can't make their minds up on.

Nonetheless, The Miz is somewhat of a tweener. He gets reactions and people chant along with him. However, most of what he says gets boo's and jeers.

'Tweeners can be a good thing, but by their nature there can't be too many of them at one time. In his time, Stone Cold Steve Austin was the only one and it was an effective persona precisely because it was so unique. Now, we have Orton, Edge & Jericho. As stated, Jericho is gone (for now) and Edge has become a full-fledged face. That's the other thing; no one remains a 'tweener forever; it's hard for the fans to get a handle on the guy if he stays in-between for too long.

So, which way does Orton go? He's been a 'tweener for quite awhile now and it's been a great program because no one really knows what to make of him. One minute he's joining forces with John Cena to fight Nexus, the next he's punting someone in the head. I admit it felt strange to see him coming down the aisle last Monday, holding his championship belt......and smiling. Even if he occasionally plays a face, I like him being nasty about it.

Where are the 'tweeners? They're few and far between, that's where. Keep 'em scarce and their effectiveness remains.

Where are the tweeners? You mean.. Like the ones right in front of you? Randy Orton? Undertaker?

Yes Undertaker is pretty much a tweener. He gets cheered no matter what the fuck you do with him. He can tombstone John Cena, Rey Mysterio and Shawn Michaels.. Hell he did just those things.. And he's still getting cheered.. Undertaker and Randy Orton can fight anybody they want and still get a reaction that leans them to somewhat of a tweener position. Both gets cheered.. Austin got cheered and fought pretty much anybody. Also making him a tweener.

The tweeners are less though. But it's for the right thing. A tweener isn't always the key for a product.. Sometimes it's needed in order to create something different from the average product. However, at times the average black and white scenario is just a better way to go with it. At times I guess some could consider a tweener a confusing thing, cause he attacks everybody but gets one kind of reaction. And that's why I guess WWE has toned down the usage of tweeners.. But they're still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back