• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When will the fans, especially Canadians, stop whining about the "Montreal Screwjob"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piss Bucket

Future British World Champ
Topic.

Every time WWE is in Canada, Shawn Michaels gets "You screwed Bret!" shouted at him by Canadian fans! I hate to be picky but the original Montreal Screwjob was 12 years ago for christ sake, and the referee involved in it now works for TNA (Earl Hebner).

And then at Bragging Rights a while back, they're in Montreal again, so what does WWE do? They have CM Punk involved in Montreal Screwjob mark II, against the Undertaker of all people! Let it go FFS! Vince, LET the Canadian fans let it go, don't keep bringing it up for cheap heat every time WWE visits Canada.

Does anyone here actually agree with anything I've said in this thread?

canada as a country is very remorseful for the whole thing..... i spend about a week and a half in the hart dungeon studying the ethics of professional wrestling and came to realize that the harts just live life differently. In alot of ways they are like Vince. The live and breathe pro wrestling. I just fufilled my masters in University of Toronto, and people dont really care bou that whole bret Match. Shawn Michaels is the best performer in pro wrestling for the last 10 years, and i think bret and shawn were neither at fault for this action, its all on vince. he made a biz decison and i think he did the right thing ..... Vince is the best promoter in the world and he knows whats best for his company and made a call..... Bret's a pompus jerk, but a hell of a compettitor and i cant wait for his second duty in WWE

Coming from a Calgarian I can tell you the whole "You screwed Bret" thing is all in good fun as a matter of fact your not going to find too many canadians that actually hate Shawn Michaels (I know literally hundreds of Calgarians who would state Shawn Michaels as their all time favorite wrestler).

Coming also from a Bret Hart mark, I know a lot of people (myself included) who feel that Michaels is one of the all time greats and even though we may boo him, we all understand that Michaels is one of the top 5 wrestlers of all time and we respect the hell out of him for it (and also most of us are actually fans of Michaels, I know I am).

You got to understand though, Vince is the reason that we chant "You Screwed Bret", has nothing to do with Canadian's not being able to get over it (because truthfully, we all got over it about a week after it happened), but you also gotta realize that Bret is more than just a wrestler up here, he is a National Hero so we're kind of obligated to give Shawn a hard time too, but that's no different than any other place on earth, its like India going nuts for the Great Khali or foreigners booing most Pro American wrestlers (like when Slaughter guest host raw in Calgary), or HHH getting cheered over Cena in WM22 (because it was held in a city that cares more about wrestling than showmanship).

I know u.k wwe fan! Canadians needs to stop putting HBK down. Shawn was just doing his job. If he hadn't done it he would of gotten fired. Shawn didn't screw Bret. Vince did it. Yet they don't bash other PPL when putting their country down, Y2j did it in WCW and more. When WCW was in Canada is said " I was walking around in Canada saw the sky looked at the ground and Thanked God that I moved out of Canada". (Even tho he playing a heel) But blames a man who was just doing his job and was instructed to beat their hometown hero. They need to get over it. Hart is gonna return, Stop blaming HBK for everything.

As a Canadian (Nova Scotian) wrestling fan, I get tired of hearing it myself. And personally feel that that is why we have not had a lot of live shows brought over our way. When Smackdown was taped here in 2003, Vince gfot a huge "You Screwed Bret" chant at him, and in Vince fashion his reply was "That's right I did, Damn it. And I'd do it again". Pretty much to shut us up so he could go on talking about whatever it was he was talking about.

I understand that Canada takes a lot of pride in its sports stars, as I think a lot of Canadians feel we will always take a back seat to America (just the way it is and I'm over it) and we want to protect our national heroes. That's why we always cheer Jericho and Edge no matter if they are heel or not. But I've always been a fan of HBK and will not chant You Screwed Bret, cuz since the Screw Job I've not lost any sleep.

I think its done more for tradition and to get at Vince more than anything. Shawn was a little bit more involved then just "doing what he was told." He was on the phone with HHH and Vince when they brought it up to Vince and Vince agreed and told them never to repeat it. I think this Bret Hart thing has been in the works for a long time and all the things he's said in interviews lately about the WWE have been partly a work. Bret is old school kayfabe, and just like when he was working HBK and HBK marked out and thought Bret was really bashing him at a personal level I think all the recent stuff they've done and Bret's said to the sheets since the CM Punk thing have all been a work.

well being a fellow canadian myself isent it just slightly ironic that you bring up a topic..that up until now nobody mentions but you. we all boo him because you dont do that to a fellow canadian. Plus the fact that you know../none of it was actually scripted and it was all intentional you can see why we still show a little remorse towards vince and shawn. i bet the same would apply if it happend in another forgin city in some other country and if they happen to screw their countries national hero as well. Like dean put it. we dont ALL hate shawn, i actually know a lot of people who are really fond of him and also think that some canadians should forget about the past and move on.

See my friend what you fail to understand is our point of view. It wasent in your country. It wasent one of your countrymen that legitimately got screwed. I personaly wasent a wrestling fan at the same, but after hearing so many storys about this by some many different people and in so many different opinions all i can say is we have all the right to be pissed off. Like what if it was the other way around and say brett screwed HBK. i bet you americans would hold it against brett for the rest of your lives if you could. You simply need to understand it from our point of view...

Which gathering from your post..you simply dont and simply are just tired of the bitching. I understand it from your view to and i happen to agree that they should stop Because at this point in time most people stopped caring, with the exception of us canadians right. But truth betold, we just like to remind everybody especially to shawn just exactly what they did.

We Never Forget

I know u.k wwe fan! Canadians needs to stop putting HBK down. Shawn was just doing his job. If he hadn't done it he would of gotten fired.

I don't believe that for one second. There's no way Vince would've fired Shawn if he refused to do that. Hell, Shawn had disobeyed Vince a lot worse and he didn't get fired.

If Shawn refused to participate in the screwjob, Vince still probably would've done it without any of their knowledge. It would've been just Vince and Earl Hebner in on it instead of Vince, Earl, Shawn, and Triple H.

Canadian here. As deanerandterry said, it's mostly in good fun. That being said, some people may genuinely dislike Shawn or Earl Hebner, and if they do that is their business. While I'm not certain Bret Hart is a Canadian icon or hero or anything like that, he is certainly a hero/icon to most Canadian WRESTLING fans. And the Montreal screwjob went far beyond the antics of a heel insulting the home town or country. We all know that Chris Jericho's promos are intentionally designed to turn the crowd against him, just as we know that he isn't REALLY trying to cripple the baby-face. But the screwjob was about as 'real' as pro wrestling gets, and it left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. At the very least, it was the beginning of a massive downward spiral for Canada's biggest pro-wrestling dynasty, and while Vince and co certainly aren't responsible for everything that has happened to the Hart's in the past decade, I'm certain that some people see the Montreal incident as the catalyst. I'm not going to get into the legitimacy of this, although I do think Bret has had good reason to carry a grudge.

That being said, keep in mind that most fans who chant at wrestling (or any sporting) events are just playing along, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like or respect the recipients of their wrath. Shawn Michaels permanent heel status is as much a part of wrestling mythology in Canada as 'team rivalries' are to other sports. Actually, I'm pretty sure that the WWE has actively encouraged the 'you screwed Bret' chants in the past. After all, ANY crowd reaction is better than NO crowd reaction.

Finally, the fact is that the fans who pay to get into the arena have the right to cheer or to boo whoever they please. We are in no way obligated or required to cheer the faces and boo the heels.

Lets say you are a Canadian. You are watching one of Bret Hart's last matches. You see Shawn Michaels lock the Sharpshooter on Bret Hart. You hear the bell ring without Bret tapping out. How do you feel? Pissed off.

12 Years later, you have a Pay-Per-View in your city. You buy tickets and lo and behold, HBK comes out. You and all of the other wrestling fans who knew what happend boo him. Your son asks, "Why are you booing him?" You tell him about the ScrewJob and he boos with you.

This is all about Canadian Pride. The most successful Canadian Wrestler got screwed over in one of his last matches. If it were me, I would be pissed.

I don't think any fans truly whine about the Montreal Screw Job ... But as long as the WWE plans to make it a relevant part of their past, then fans in Montreal will boo the involved parties when they visit Montreal.

The truth is that the WWE won't let the incident die either and that's a big reason why Montreal fans continue to go with it- but why should WWE try to make fans forget about the incident? It's hard enough to create storylines that people care about. The WWE was most successful 10 years ago because of their ability to take real life and embellish it into a show.

Guys like Mick Foley, The Rock, VKM, and even Hogan embellished on real life to get over with the crowd. There's no need to let MSJ die.

I'm from Canada, more specifically i'm actually from Montreal. And to be honest I want everyone to just let the whole damn thing go.Everyone associates Montreal with The screwjob and it pisses me off to go to an event and always know that a storyline is gonna be associated with that. Like Breaking Point of this year, The C.M. Punk finish where he screwed 'taker, I was there and the crowd(including me) was pissed. Not because we hated punk winning, but because we always have to put up with this shit.The fact that most of the crowd stills chants "you screwd Bret" also pisses me off.

So to answer your question, I think that if montreal let's go than everyone else will let it go. and that will only happen when montreals associated with something else, like a supertar that's nativer to there. Or if Bret comes out and tells everyone to drop it , which I would REALLY appreciate.They should come back to montreal while Bret's under contact and do it. That would work

There are 2 things everyone needs to remember about this screwjob:

#1. Bret screwed Bret. I hate to say it, but no matter what Bret and Vince agreed to, Bret didn't do what was best for business. You are ALWAYS supposed to put the guy over on your way out. Who cares if Bret wanted to drop the title the next night on RAW. Vince, the person who signs his paychecks, wanted it done when he wanted it done. Bret thought he was bigger than the business, and I will never, ever take away from The Hart Families talent or accomplishments, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what's best for business, especially in the middle of the Monday Night Wars. It was Vince, HHH and Shawn who came up with the idea, so blame them.

#2. WWE has not let it go when they should. Survivor Series 98 they screwed Foley the same way. In 2001, Austin VS Benoit in Canada, they screwed Benoit. The CM Punk thing happened because Vince wanted it to. He is the boss. Canada will not let it go and neither will WWE. That's the truth. The OP should actually get over it and have a wonderful holiday.

I hope I replied to both side and nobody hates me.

I really doubt people are whining about it, I mean even Bret Hart doesn't like to talk about it that much. That's the reason why he did the DVD I think, so people can see beyond Montreal when talking about Hart's career.

If there's anyone who can't get over it, that would be the WWE, Vince, and the creative. I mean look at Breaking Point, the ending was a reference to Montreal.

I don't think most people actually take it seriously anymore - Shawn has even been cheered in Canada. I think the "You screwed Bret" chants are almost just a way to greet him now, and to recognise Shawn Michaels. Now, I'm not Canadian so I could be completely wrong, but I don't feel as though they have the same hatred they once did for Shawn regarding Montreal. Besides, it amuses me when they chant this, it always makes me laugh. Vince screwed Bret :)

Man, what a topic I would absolutely love to just get involved in at this moment. Unfortunately, I am busy doing Spam Audits. Maybe tomorrow I will comment at greater length.

But I will say this at the moment. To the Canadian fans who continue to cry this "You screwed Bret" crap, I look upon you with scorn.

Some of it is done just to be a pain in the ass, as if you think Vince cares anymore what you think. What's done is done. Nothing is going to change. You keep chanting away, and Vince doesn't care. Nothing much accomplished there, "eh"?

Let's look at these comments:

Coming from a Calgarian I can tell you the whole "You screwed Bret" thing is all in good fun as a matter of fact your not going to find too many canadians that actually hate Shawn Michaels (I know literally hundreds of Calgarians who would state Shawn Michaels as their all time favorite wrestler).

Coming also from a Bret Hart mark, I know a lot of people (myself included) who feel that Michaels is one of the all time greats and even though we may boo him, we all understand that Michaels is one of the top 5 wrestlers of all time and we respect the hell out of him for it (and also most of us are actually fans of Michaels, I know I am).

All good, so far.

You got to understand though, Vince is the reason that we chant "You Screwed Bret", has nothing to do with Canadian's not being able to get over it (because truthfully, we all got over it about a week after it happened),

I doubt that very seriously.

but you also gotta realize that Bret is more than just a wrestler up here, he is a National Hero so we're kind of obligated to give Shawn a hard time too

That is your and your country's biggest problem. And that is something we moved beyond here in the United States. Wrestlers are not National Heroes and nor should they be considered National Hereos, Sports Stars, great actors, etc.

They do not represent your country in any legitimate competition.

There is absolutely not a single solitary reason why Bret Hart should be viewed as a National Hero and that is the mentality Canadians need to get out of and accept.

People you view as National Heroes are members of your Armed Services, perhaps honest Government officials, esteemed charity workers, and people who generally do outstanding work on behalf of the community.

All Bret Hart is, is a great pro wrestler, that happened to live in Canada. He is NOT a National Hero and nor should you treat him like one. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

I don't know if you think the US views us as trying to compete with Canada in any way, but we have no desire to compete with Canada in the wrestling avenue, because quite frankly .... we are talking about a scripted form of entertainment with pre-determined outcomes. Did Canadians not get the memo on that?

We don't view wrestlers from our country as National Heroes. We've moved beyond that phase from the Hulk Hogan years in the 80's. Why can't Canada?

but that's no different than any other place on earth, its like India going nuts for the Great Khali or foreigners booing most Pro American wrestlers (like when Slaughter guest host raw in Calgary),

And India has a problem with that, as well. Canada however is just north of us and the WWE has had more Canadian wrestlers over the years than India, so obviously that is why the focus is on Canada and it's fans.

or HHH getting cheered over Cena in WM22 (because it was held in a city that cares more about wrestling than showmanship).

That has nothing to do with cheering someone on just because of where they happen to be from, in wrestling. Wrestling is scripted, and the people in that city are smarky when it comes to judging talent.

What do you judge your talent on? What country they're from?

Evidently so, hence why "The Calgary Kid" got such a warm welcome in Canada, when fans never even saw the guy before. Here he comes down on Raw to wrestle Eugene for the first time, and the arena blew the roof off the building because he was decked out in Canadian Colors and was called "The Calgary Kid".

The Montreal Screwjob needs to be let go in Canada because it is absolutely pathetic to view someone like Bret Hart or any other wrestler from Canada like Edge or Christian as National Heroes. Scripted pro wrestlers simply are not National Heroes as they aren't out there legitimately serving the public or saving lives. They are performing.

Canada needs to get over its massive inferiority complex in regards to how it views itself compared to the United States. We don't care about Canadian Wrestlers any more than any other wrestlers. We don't care that Canada has an inferiority complex and feels the need to "compete with the US when it comes to Pro Wrestling" (which is pretty much impossible, anyway), and we don't view Pro Wrestlers as National Heroes, as if they are competing in the Olympics or anything.

What Canadians who do any of those things listed above need to do is grow up, mature, and quit embarrassing the rest of it's people. You guys are seriously acting like a bunch of marks for your country sometimes. I think Patriotism is one thing .... but when you take it to the next level and actually want to "compete" with other countries over something scripted like Pro Wrestling ... and actually cheer competitors on to a greater degree who you never even heard of before, just because they are announced as being from "Canada" (Calgary Kid), then that clearly shows a problem.

Every time WWE is in Canada, Shawn Michaels gets "You screwed Bret!" shouted at him by Canadian fans! I hate to be picky but the original Montreal Screwjob was 12 years ago for christ sake, and the referee involved in it now works for TNA (Earl Hebner).

Yeah.... that's something that will probably never go away. If it's been this long and they still do those chants, then they might never stop. I'm all for moving on too, but these chants ARE a reaction.... and a bad reaction is sometimes better than zero reaction. As for Hebner.... I've heard him get "You screwed Bret!" chants even on some TNA Impact shows. I see him getting them forever, even longer than HBK.

And then at Bragging Rights a while back, they're in Montreal again, so what does WWE do? They have CM Punk involved in Montreal Screwjob mark II, against the Undertaker of all people! Let it go FFS! Vince, LET the Canadian fans let it go, don't keep bringing it up for cheap heat every time WWE visits Canada.

Actually.... that was Breaking Point. Not Bragging Rights.... and that event was hardly a screwjob in my opinion. It got put over as one by the announcers, but you could tell they tried to hard to make this seem real when we all knew it was a storyline. The REAL Montreal Screwjob wasn't staged like the CM Punk one was.

Does anyone here actually agree with anything I've said in this thread?

I do agree that Vince should let the Canadian fans let it go. He is just as much to blame with all the Hart appearance teasers and mentioning the original screwjob. If the "You screwed Bret!" chants never go away, then part of the reason will be because Vince kept trying to get cheap heel heat by bringing up Bret Hart and the screwjob constantly in Canada.

First of all it's the wwe who bring this issue again and again to gain ratings. Shawn doesn't get booed every where in canada but if he does there is nothing wrong in it because he was an asshole then. What if the same thing was done by Iron sheik and vince to hulk hogan in 80's in USA. I guarntee u that Americans would have never forgotten Sheik or Vince for that matter.

And by the way there is nothing wrong in seeing wrestlers as heroes, because it' all about perception, likes and dislikes. I don't know about many but bret to most guys around the world in 90's was an role model, so if any fan respects and wanna be like his role model there is nothing wrong in it.
OK wrestling is fake, so what........ Movies are also fake but how many of us wanna be like these dashing movie stars. Yes Army personal are the real heroes and there is no denying that but still it's all about choices and it's an subjective thing on which no body has the right to comment.

I'm not an canadian but i think every fan has the right to do what they want.... If they wanna boo HBK they should, If they wanna boo bret they should... If they wanna remember montreal for the rest of their life then they should. There should be no one to tell them what to do and what not.

Well I was going to weight in on this one a little heavier but Lord Sidious beat me to the punch and said basically everything I wanted to say for the most part. So in short I'd have to second pretty much everything in his post.

I get tired of the Canadians who act like they have to bear some cross or something ever since the Montreal Screwjob. Like everything in life was ok until that point, but after the Screwjob...life just wasn't the same. Uhhhh-Okay, I guess. Lord Sidious makes a good point about Bret being held up as some national hero and people looking at it like a national hero was defeated on their own soil or something.

A couple of people were in the wrestling business together, and due to a number of circumstances their ways had to part. The people had to come to terms on how best to part, and couldn't agree for selfish purposes on all sides. As is common, when people behave selfishly, corruption ensued and hurt all the people involved. It was a personal matter between business partners, that is it. It wasn't about pride or country, it was about dollars and cents, period.

That is all the more I need to add as I said Lord Sidious basically said everything for me. I just wanted to rebut on a few things.

This is certainly an excellent topic because it takes us into a very touchy area - the cultural relevance and important of professional wrestling. It's a topic I've explored many times before. So let me weigh in with a few things.

1. In Canada, professional wrestling is a part of the cultural fabric.

The if pro wrestling is, in fact, part of that fabric, then the Hart family are the textile company. Okay, worst metaphor ever, but I hope it gets my point across. It's been well documented that professional wrestling is on a vastly different cultural plane in Canada, Japan, and Mexico than it is in the United States. The thought of possibly the greatest Canadian professional wrestler of all time being disrespected in his home town is enough to resonate for great lengths of time.

2. Canada struggles for main stream sports relevance.

Even Hockey has become an extremely American sport, as only 6 of the NHL teams are Canadian teams now (which is a comparatively small percentage when you consider US cities such as Dallas, Phoenix, and Miami have teams). Canada now has curling. That's it. Baseball is American. American Football is America. Basketball? American. Nascar, Golf, etc. Canada has had to rally around a few specific heroes in professional sports, such as hockey greats like Gretzky, Lemieux, and Brodeur and a host of others.

Canada ALWAYS has professional wrestling, even though the business is largely American. Toronto has gotten a Wrestlemania. Montreal is a regular tour stop. And the Hart Family carried the banner.

Outside of hockey, Bret Hart and George St. Pierre are the combat athletes who carry the red maple leaf flag proudly. If Steve Mazzagatti (UFC ref) blew a major call and stopped a GSP fight in Montreal, giving a major title win to a guy like Josh Kozcheck, the city would probably riot.

When Hulk Hogan got screwed out of titles, the US said "well that sucks" and went and turned on a Yankee game.

Sidious, you really need to shut your hole and get off your high horse. Don't act like you actually understand the situation because you don't (and just so you know places like North Carolina do view certain superstars as heroes, like IDK RIC FLAIR). Don't act like your country doesn't view wrestlers as heroes because I recall guys like Stone Cold and Hogan getting treated like gods there.

Also, like others have said, Canada is a very small country when it comes to population so when one of our own does well in anything we acknowledge it (whether it be Bret Hart, Wayne Gretzky, Terry Fox, Donovan Bailey, ect.), has nothing to do with Canadians worshiping wrestlers, I apologize for cheering for Canadians, sorry I forgot you and your country were so enlightened and you would never do anything like that (oh wait, you do it more than any other country on earth you hypocrite).
Oh and BTW, we cheer for who we like, the whole "Calgary Kid" thing was nothing but a cheap pop (remember when Angle did his gold medal challenge and whenever he fought someone from said city they would cheer him even though you've never seen said person before, its the same thing) and though we may cheer for someone like Bret Hart, it has more to do with his accomplishments in the ring than the fact he's Canadian, there are a lot of Canadian wrestlers who don't get cheered that much (we're never gonna puts someone like DH Smith over someone like Shawn Michaels because we understand Michaels is 100 time more talented than DH) .

And also coming from a Canadian, WE DON'T GIVE 2 SHITS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN AMERICA, AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THERE IS NO REASON TO COMPETE WITH EACH OTHER, WE'RE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT OURSELVES, NOT CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY BECAUSE YOU JUST DON'T MATTER. MAYBE YOU AMERICAN'S SHOULD STOP THINKING EVERYONE WORSHIPS YOU BECAUSE WE DON'T FUCKING CARE.

Man, what a topic I would absolutely love to just get involved in at this moment. Unfortunately, I am busy doing Spam Audits. Maybe tomorrow I will comment at greater length.

Not to busy to write a short essay apparently....

That is your and your country's biggest problem. And that is something we moved beyond here in the United States. Wrestlers are not National Heroes and nor should they be considered National Hereos, Sports Stars, great actors, etc./
People you view as National Heroes are members of your Armed Services, perhaps honest Government officials, esteemed charity workers, and people who generally do outstanding work on behalf of the community.

Give me a freaking break. First of all, are you completely blind to the celebrity worship that happens in your own country?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that the U.S's most recognized 'heroes' are completely logical? I challenge you to name 20 people from charitable organizations or the military, and to do it faster than you can name 20 celebrities. 'Hero' is a word that is thrown around far too lightly in ALL countries. It is applied to entertainers from all walks of life, and quite frankly I fail to see how it is any more applicable to a 'sports star' or an actor than to a pro wrestler. Neither makes a particularly important contribution to anything, and their comparable relevance depends solely on your own tastes in entertainment.

All Bret Hart is, is a great pro wrestler, that happened to live in Canada. He is NOT a National Hero and nor should you treat him like one. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing. /
I don't know if you think the US views us as trying to compete with Canada in any way, but we have no desire to compete with Canada in the wrestling avenue, because quite frankly .... we are talking about a scripted form of entertainment with pre-determined outcomes. Did Canadians not get the memo on that?/
We don't view wrestlers from our country as National Heroes. We've moved beyond that phase from the Hulk Hogan years in the 80's. Why can't Canada?

I'm sorry that you're fictitious view of how Canadian's view Bret Hart is 'embarassing' to us. Obviously we will have to try harder in the future. As for whether or not Canada 'got the memo', way to lump all Canadians into your massive generalization yet again. The last time I checked, Bret Hart's face isn't on our currency. As for pro wrestlers being viewed as National Heroes, I would argue that Hulk Hogan is more a 'national hero' to the US as Bret Hart is to Canadians. He's actually much more relevant to the average American than Bret is to the average Canadian. This entire notion of Bret Hart as a 'national hero' was started by Michael Landsberg on 'Off the Record'; it is NOT the viewpoint of all Canadians.

What do you judge your talent on? What country they're from?

Evidently you do as well, since the WWE thought it necessary to start changing the hometowns of Canadian faces to American cities. And you have completely broken with reality if you don't recognize that all entertainers tend to be cheered more by their home communities.

Canada needs to get over its massive inferiority complex in regards to how it views itself compared to the United States. We don't care about Canadian Wrestlers any more than any other wrestlers. We don't care that Canada has an inferiority complex and feels the need to "compete with the US when it comes to Pro Wrestling"

I come to this site to discuss pro wrestling, not to have my country indicted or criticized. YOU need to get the hell over making massive generalizations about an entire country and people based on what a few people say on a wrestling forum. If you don't like Canadians or Canada, you should keep it to yourself or at the very least take it to a more appropriate site.

Sidious, you really need to shut your hole and get off your high horse. Don't act like you actually understand the situation because you don't (and just so you know places like North Carolina do view certain superstars as heroes, like IDK RIC FLAIR).

There may be some extra cheers in North Carolina for someone like Flair, but do they view him as a National Hero? No.

Truth hurts, doesn't it? Anyway, carry on like a fool.

Don't act like your country doesn't view wrestlers as heroes because I recall guys like Stone Cold and Hogan getting treated like gods there.

Um no. Sorry. We don't treat Austin like a "Hero". There is a difference in being a "fan" of someone ... and treating someone like a "National Hero" like you referred to the way you treat Bret Hart.

Also, like others have said, Canada is a very small country when it comes to population so when one of our own does well in anything we acknowledge it (whether it be Bret Hart, Wayne Gretzky, Terry Fox, Donovan Bailey, ect.), has nothing to do with Canadians worshiping wrestlers,

We don't give a damn about any of that. We don't care where wrestlers really come from ... and nor do we treat wrestlers like heroes because of where they come from.

As I said, I don't know what is in the drinking water up there that drives you to cheer for Pro Wrestlers simply because they have "Canada" in their ring introduction, but as far as you guys "protecting superstars" .... why the Fuck are you protecting scripted Pro Wrestlers? These guys are not really heroes and nor should they be viewed as Heroes to your country.

You furthermore can't compete with the United States with Pro Wrestling, because Pro Wrestling is 100% scripted Entertainment. You may still view it as competition, but we don't .... and we think it's asinine that Canadian fans like you, actually do. So we don't have any desire nor do we care about the whole Canadian inferiority complex thing you have with the United States.

We don't give a damn how small a country you are, because we just don't care about you. And nor are you expected to give Americans any special treatment either. Don't make country an issue and just Get the Fuck over it.

I apologize for cheering for Canadians, sorry I forgot you and your country were so enlightened and you would never do anything like that (oh wait, you do it more than any other country on earth you hypocrite).

We aren't like we were in the 80's. You grossly miscalculate the amount of Patriotism that Americans have in their country, nowadays. You visit Liberal states and many of them are not proud of their country due to some very controversial decisions from a very unpopular President.

You know what the difference is between us and you? We don't take things personally. You want to insult the U.S.? Fine, go ahead. We just shrug it off and say "Whatever".

However, you get in a hissy fit over it. You are proving my point 100%. You guys are Fucking marks for your country. And it all has to do with your inferiority complex and desire for attention that you have. Again, we don't care.

Oh and BTW, we cheer for who we like, the whole "Calgary Kid" thing was nothing but a cheap pop (remember when Angle did his gold medal challenge and whenever he fought someone from said city they would cheer him even though you've never seen said person before, its the same thing) and though we may cheer for someone like Bret Hart, it has more to do with his accomplishments in the ring than the fact he's Canadian, there are a lot of Canadian wrestlers who don't get cheered that much (we're never gonna puts someone like DH Smith over someone like Shawn Michaels because we understand Michaels is 100 time more talented than DH) .

A cheap pop? He got a standing ovation when he "won the Raw contract" against Eugene. He also got a huge ovation when he came out.

You know what would have happened if "The American Kid" came out in a mask, decked out in stars and stripes, in one of our arenas? The place would have fell dead silent because they would have been thinking "Who the fuck are you, and why should we bother even reacting to you?"

That is the difference between American fans and Canadian fans.

And also coming from a Canadian, WE DON'T GIVE 2 SHITS ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS IN AMERICA,

Good. Likewise.

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THERE IS NO REASON TO COMPETE WITH EACH OTHER, WE'RE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT OURSELVES, NOT CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY BECAUSE YOU JUST DON'T MATTER.

We're glad we don't matter to you. Because we feel the same way about you.

But we all have one thing in common, and that is that we are wrestling fans. And because of that, you are going to be subjected to criticism in ways you interact to the same form of entertainment that we watch.

It's simple. Quit treating Pro Wrestlers like they are some kind of National Heroes like in the Olympics, or something. If it's scripted entertainment, there is no reason to cheer for someone simply because of where they are from. And that mentality may exist in a very small degree in the States with people like Flair, but mark my words, that mentality is also on its death bed in the States, as well .... because today's fans are realizing how silly it is just to cheer for someone based on where they are billed from.

We're growing up. Maybe you should, too.

MAYBE YOU AMERICAN'S SHOULD STOP THINKING EVERYONE WORSHIPS YOU BECAUSE WE DON'T FUCKING CARE.

We don't want you to worship us, because .... "we don't fucking care". Just stop pretending that wrestlers are heroes, and then maybe Vince will stop busting your balls with the Screwjob.

Vince is essentially being a Troll, and you are giving him what he wants, because he knows it gets to you. In essence, every time he does his shenanigans, he is making fun of you and mocking you as fans.

And because as I demonstrated, the whole mentality you have is ridiculous anyway in fans "not getting over a screwjob from a scripted form of entertainment", and because you react to it .... Vince essentially wins.

You know what the best thing you could do could be? Whenever he tries it in the future, sit in the arena in utter silence. Or leave to go to the concession stands. Believe it or not, if you listen to my advice, Vince will stop making fun of you with these segments, because you will show him that you have gotten over it, and have matured as fans.

Not to busy to write a short essay apparently....

Happens sometimes, despite intentions otherwise.

Give me a freaking break. First of all, are you completely blind to the celebrity worship that happens in your own country?? Do you SERIOUSLY think that the U.S's most recognized 'heroes' are completely logical? I challenge you to name 20 people from charitable organizations or the military, and to do it faster than you can name 20 celebrities.

We're talking about two different issues here. Celebrity worship is one thing. But do we cheer them because they are from the United States, or because they are celebrities? I think we cheer them and are fascinated by them because they are on TV ... and that is an issue, yes ... given the attention they receive.

But again, it is a separate issue than cheering someone on because of what country they are from.

Take this example of a typical Canadian in how they respond to Chris Jericho. At :11 a man referred to Chris Jericho as "an insult to CANADIANS":

[YOUTUBE]6OIlJNnvAhE[/YOUTUBE]

Now why on Earth would Jericho be "an insult to Canadians"? Do you think we in the United States would worry about Jericho being "an insult to Canadians" because of the character he plays? No, because we know it's all an act.

If Jericho were an American, would we refer to him as "an insult to Americans"? No. We wouldn't even think of it. People who didn't like him in our country would call him an "asshole". One's country doesn't even enter the equation.

Apparently, a number of people in Canada didn't get the memo on that either, and are worried about how their country is perceived in other parts of the world, in the context of Pro Wrestling characters, of all things.

'Hero' is a word that is thrown around far too lightly in ALL countries. It is applied to entertainers from all walks of life, and quite frankly I fail to see how it is any more applicable to a 'sports star' or an actor than to a pro wrestler. Neither makes a particularly important contribution to anything, and their comparable relevance depends solely on your own tastes in entertainment.

I don't think we call our celebrities "heroes" though. There is a fascination with celebrities, but we as a country as a whole, don't view them as "heroes", apparently like how you view those in your country.

I'm sorry that you're fictitious view of how Canadian's view Bret Hart is 'embarassing' to us. Obviously we will have to try harder in the future.

Please do so.

As for whether or not Canada 'got the memo', way to lump all Canadians into your massive generalization yet again.

Your markhood for your country and the way you treat anyone that appears on Canadian television is clearly noticeable, and people have picked up on it outside of your country. Therefore, you will be mocked for it, if it is something we deem to be ridiculous. You can feel free to mock the United States for things, too. It is a 2 way street, you know.

The last time I checked, Bret Hart's face isn't on our currency.

That's because there aren't enough Pro Wrestling fans in Canada to accomplish this. If you Canadian Wrestling fans had your way, he probably would be since Hart is such a "National Hero" to you, and all.

As for pro wrestlers being viewed as National Heroes, I would argue that Hulk Hogan is more a 'national hero' to the US as Bret Hart is to Canadians.

Hogan wasn't viewed as a National Hero even back in the height of his popularity in the 80's. I grew up in the 80's and can safely testify to that.

He was a celebrity, and a well-known one. He is a household name. But again, he is not viewed as a "National Hero". Never was and never will be.

He's actually much more relevant to the average American than Bret is to the average Canadian. This entire notion of Bret Hart as a 'national hero' was started by Michael Landsberg on 'Off the Record'; it is NOT the viewpoint of all Canadians.

Well, Bret Hart thinks of himself as one, as well. So that doesn't help. But again, I have heard many Canadian fans in interviews also classify Hart as a "National Hero", and the way all of you go on about the Screwjob to this day only fuels those accusations. We think you are utterly ridiculous.

Evidently you do as well, since the WWE thought it necessary to start changing the hometowns of Canadian faces to American cities.

It's called "relocation". Stars relocate to the States, because it's evidently easier on them and they want to live here. Warmer weather does it for them, I think.

And you have completely broken with reality if you don't recognize that all entertainers tend to be cheered more by their home communities.

Sure, to a degree, especially if you are someone small. But I tell you, that mentality is on its deathbed when it comes to Pro Wrestling here in the United States. Flair is one of the last few left that still gets a "Hometown Ovation" in "Flair Country".

I come to this site to discuss pro wrestling, not to have my country indicted or criticized.

Again, you wonder why Canadians are given a certain label of being "marks" for their country. There it is, right there.

And the difference would be if you criticized fan behavior in the United States, we would just shrug and say "Oh, well". We don't take the country thing personally, like you do. But evidently kayfabe is alive and well in Canada.

YOU need to get the hell over making massive generalizations about an entire country and people based on what a few people say on a wrestling forum. If you don't like Canadians or Canada, you should keep it to yourself or at the very least take it to a more appropriate site.

Well, it is relevant to the discussion since you all are making it a Canadian "country" thing with your Bret Hart worship.

Now, what is it going to take for you fans to stop whining about the Montreal "Screwjob"? The answer is "When Canadians decide to grow up and mature with their thought process towards how they treat Pro Wrestlers". When they stop treating them as heroes, then they will stop whining, because they will then realize that it isn't something they should give a damn about.

Big Fucking Deal. Bret Hart was told a false finish of a wrestling contest. BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Life goes on elsewhere in every other place, but Canada, evidently. Pathetic.

Sidious, I'm gonna just leave it at this, your not Canadian and you have no clue what you are talking about, you can bend and fabricate things all you want to get your point across but at the end of the day you are not Canadian, you have probably never spent 12 hours in the country and you have no clue, YOU DON'T (I understand I ain't American, but I deal with them every day of my life so I think my view is a lot more accurate than yours).

Canadians don't have an inferiority complex towards americans because WERE NOT INFERIOR and yeah I do take a bit of offense to people like you thinking shit like your somehow superior to Canadians, let me ask you Sidious, what makes you so superior, because you have more athletes and actors (who by the way get worshipped ten thousand times more than those honest government officials you were talking about in your first post)?

Back to my original point though, its all in good fun, there is no bad feelings towards vince or shawn (if I met either guy, I would shake their hand for all the great hours of entertainment they provided because thats all that matters, not politics or screwjobs) and we do it more because it has become tradition, hell even huge Shawn Michaels fans will chant "You Screwed Bret" in Canada. We are not obligated to act a certain way, nor should we.

I will agree with you that the wrong people are the ones usually treated as heroes (I did say Bret was a national hero and although that's true, it doesn't mean that I view him as a hero, I view people like Terry Fox as a hero) but don't act like America doesn't do the same thing, because they do if they didn't this whole Tiger Woods thing wouldn't be dominating American News right now, or the OJ Simpson trial wouldn't have dominated american news for 2 years, or god forbid the whole Michael Jackson scandal, its very apparent that Americans holds celebrities, sports stars and wrestlers in the highest regard, much more higher than those great americans you talked about (which I still agree should be the real heroes) so don't act like the average american doesn't worship these people because they do, with some of the americans I've talked to within the last week, you would swear to god that Tiger Woods cheated on THEM and not his wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back