When all is said and done, Cena will be considered greater than Stone Cold

You're crazy if you think Triple H is more well known than John Cena. Triple H has never broken into mainstream culture the way The Rock, Hogan, and Austin have, and neither has Bret, Sting, or Savage. I can tell you that I have brought up both John Cena and Randy Savage to non-wrestling fans, and they know who Cena is immediately, but have never heard of Randy Savage. Sting has never been nearly as well known as Cena due to him being out of the public's eye since the demise of WCW. Bret Hart is popular in Canada, but he has never seen nearly that much popularity anywhere else in the world. Undertaker is the only guy I would MAYBE put above Cena, and that's mostly because he's been around forever. Other than him, Cena is a much bigger star than any of those others you mentioned.

Triple H is well known across the world far more than John Cena. If I was to ask anyone about wrestling and asked them to name 5 wrestlers from WWF/E, Triple H would be on the list more often than Cena. Triple H is (along with Taker, who practically everyone knows) one of the last remnants of the Attitude Era, and was the top star on RAW when a large part of the audience stopped watching. Savage is the same except for more Old School fans. They were never top of the company but they are two of the best known names in wrestling. Like I said about Bret, this guy is known far better than Cena. To most Canadians, he's the best wrestler to emerge from Canada. And again, I bring up the Simpsons. You have to achieve a certain level of fame to appear on the Simpsons, and Bret Hart remains the only wrestler to ever do so.

cena is the main reason for this pg era in case u forgot so this arguement does not hold any validity austin wouldnt have to adjust his character becuase if he was still in the wwe cena wouldnt be that popular. the WWE needed a new top guy and cena was CHOSEN by vince to be that guy. thats why we cant accept him as the new austin!!!!! the pg era followed once cena was made top guy thus tons and tons of children and others were buying tickets and shirts and cena shit. a very good arguement saying that austin had to compete with rock and hhh cena has nobody to compete with . randy orton is the new it guy and the mainstream wrestling public is finally starting to accpet him as a hero type wrestler. cena vs austin is no contest austin wins any way u look at it

Wrong
The reason for the WWE to move to PG was because Mattel wanted to sponsor a PG show. The WWE changed to PG and the wrestlers changed along with it, which is why John Cena's move changed from the F-U to the Attitude Adjuster.

Any way back to the Topic at Hand.
Love this thread, I love playing Devil's Advocate too. Both Austin and Cena will go down as two of the greatest of all time. Cena will probable have a longer career than Austin, and he will transfer over to Hollywood better as well. But Austin will still be the better wrestler. I think Austin’s big advantage was that he was able to do what he did, during the WWF WCW rivalry. Cena dose loss a little credibility because WWE is the only legit game in town. If TNA can make a huge run to try and take the top spot, and Cena puts the WWE on his shoulders to keep the WWE at number 1, then maybe. But since I don't see that happening, Austin will be ahead of Cena in the eyes of wrestling history.

It's a matter of opinion.

Although I should note, as time goes on, like everything in life... Things get watered down.

What I mean is, wrestling these days is completely watered down bull.

Who knows what John Cena will go down as, he's still young. Most people become hard to work with in their later years.

All I am saying, is that when these kids grow up and realize the crap they were subjected to, John Cena "Fans" will finally see why the older audience hates him. Nonetheless, the endless cycle will continue although, by that time there will be more gullible children to sell John Cena to.

To The people saying that Cena doesnt have a defining moment/feat:
What do you think of the fact that Cena made Shawn Michaels and Triple H tapout in back-to-back Wrestlemanias?

And to the people saying he never had classic battles look back at his ladder match with Edge.............He has good matches its the fact that he's still in his prime that waters down his impact he's a modern day Bret Hart in the fact that he is the man after picking up where a legend left off.

No, Stone Cold Steve Austin will always be considered greater than John Cena, maybe even the greatest of all time. John Cena is near the top in that list too. The reason why Stone Cold is greater than Cena has been mentioned above. Both have had great feud and moments, but Stone Cold's rivalries and moments are very hard to beat. However, they are both two of the greatest and they both were leaders of their generations.

Here let's compare.

The era that Austin lead, the Attitude Era had much more viewers and better ratings that the era that Cena lead, the era from 2005 until now. Cena almost always got mixed reactions, unlike Stone Cold and Stone Cold also always had bigger pops. I mean, Cena's biggest pops were Stone Cold's average pops. They are both very charismatic and awesome on the mic, they could both work a crowd really good, they were both ok in the ring, both became champs numerous times, both were at the top for a long time, and like I mentioned before, they both lead their generations. But what I think really gives Austin the edge here, is that he picked up a falling company and brought it much higher, while Cena picked up a falling company and just fell with it, sometimes bringing it up. WWF in mid 90s was SO much less successful as WWF in late 90s to early 2000s.

That is why I must say Stone Cold Steve Austin.

In 20 years, if wrestling hasn't run itself into the ground yet, we'll be saying things like "the all time greats Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michael, Steve Austin, and John Cena." He will be lumped into the group of greats, but yes. Cena will be considered greater than Austin. Cena will have a much longer career, will have been the face of the company for longer, took wrestling in different direction (for better or for worse), and is a superhero to children everywhere. It's the same reason that Hulk Hogan is considered better than Steamboat or Savage. They're all "greats" but Hogan is a hero that was given the company on his shoulders.

Some of you (most, really) are making this far more complicated than it actually is.

A Few Reasons Why Cena Isn't, and Probably Never Will Be, Bigger Than Austin

Size of the Audience
I suppose you can hold the size of the viewing audience in the late 90's against Steve Austin..even if that makes no sense at all. Steve Austin WAS wrestling in the late 90's, the biggest wrestling star in the world. Ratings for the WWF in the late 90's were twice as large as they are now with John Cena. Not to mention, Steve Austin had to compete against WCW and the nWo. I don't think the low ratings are Cena's fault or anything like that, but the numbers don't lie.

Crowd Reaction
This isn't as big a deal as the ratings or PPV buys, but it matters. Steve Austin wasn't getting "mixed reactions." He was blowing the roof off of every arena he stepped foot in, with cheers, and was universally loved. Cena is a somewhat divisive figure among wrestling fans. Half love him, half hate his guts, and that's easy to see because the crowd doesn't lie. I think Cena has actually come a long way in the last year, and he's not getting nearly as many boo's anymore. But, Austin never got that kind of reaction while he was on top.

Cena still has time, and I'm not saying it's impossible for him to get to where Austin was. If WWE skyrockets in popularity, anything is possible. But as it stands right now, I can't see Cena taking Austin's spot next to Hogan.

Come on let's be realistic here.
WWE has well known PPV buyrate issues right now.

If Stone Cold announced tomorrow he was going to have one more match, and it was on PPV, There is zero doubt the buyrates would increase.

JOHN CENA IS NOT A BOX OFFICE ATTRACTION, HE CANNOT SELL PPV'S!

I actually have Austin #1. Above Hogan. Above Cena.

Why? The Monday Night wars. Sure the Hulkamania era was huge. Sure Hogan brought wrestling into the mainstream; but he only has so much draw power. When Hogan was running WCW with all of his creative control, Austin had to go against him. Nitro beat RAW 84 weeks in a row in the ratings. Then things took a turn for the better for WWF when Austin started to feud with Vince. It wasn't Hogan who brought sixes (and in some cases, seven or even eights) It sure as hell isn't Cena. It was Austin.

The pops Austin got was insane. His character was amazing. His mic skills outstanding. Challenges Michaels as the most decorated wrestler in the history of the company. This guy (along with Rocky) saved the company. Cena is today's top guy and while WWE isn't hurting, it isn't booming what it used to. Austin was a once in a lifetime character who was unique. Cena is just this bland boy scout. No doubt about it, the top draw today and all and a future HOF'er based on his merits; but Cena will never be Austin or bigger than Austin.

Come on let's be realistic here.
WWE has well known PPV buyrate issues right now.

If Stone Cold announced tomorrow he was going to have one more match, and it was on PPV, There is zero doubt the buyrates would increase.

JOHN CENA IS NOT A BOX OFFICE ATTRACTION, HE CANNOT SELL PPV'S!

Oh yeah, those buyrate issues are all because of Cena. I'm sure it has nothing to do with guys like HBK, Batista, HHH, Undertaker, and Jericho being out. Those guys don't mean anything anymore. :rolleyes:

A main reason I can see Cena being greater than Stone Cold is because of Cena's age. Austin was on the top of the WWE from 34-37ish. Cena has been the top guy in the company in 2005 when he was just 28. Wrestling happens in cycles and who knows how long this current era will last. They could switch to a more edgier product in a few years and Cena will only be in his mid-30's. Cena has shown he loves the business and I see him wrestling for another ten years and that's plenty of time to create a bigger legacy.

I happen to think that this is going to be a very gray subject. There's no clear cut answer on this. While Cena gets known as 'The Face' of The WWE, I think its a little unfair to strictly call on him as greater than Stone Cold. Look at some of the people who worked with him in the same era, he did feuds with Kurt Angle, Big Show, Randy Orton, Edge, Batista, HBK, HHH, Sheamus, Miz, Undertaker, Barrett each are uniquely talented in their own way. Each would seems to possess a skill relevant to main event status, and have all had/or are main eventing in some way whether it currently is with WWE or elsewhere.

I think its going to boil down to personal preference and demographics. I, for one, am not the biggest Cena fan, he's earned my respect for his hard work and determination. Do I think he's poised to overtake for Stone Cold? Heck no. I think it would be stupid to say anyone is qualified to be greater than Stone Cold, or greater than Freddie Blassie, anyone who is in the HoF right now. You'd hope that each person sets out to blaze their own path and not want to be a carbon of someone who is already in or was in the ring before. It certainly would be an honor for someone to say "I do look up to Stone Cold/Blassie/Dibiase (Sr)/Lawler/Bret Hart etc..." But let's be real, it's next to impossible for to try to outdo a great like SCSA.

Hogan built the house

Austin saved the house

Cena made sure the house hovered around a 3.0-3.9 rating for a whole decade.

There is no comparison to be made, what seperates Cena/Orton and Bret/HBK eras from the rest is that regardless of what you think, these guys never drew as much as the Hogans, the Austins and the Rocks.

My favorite wrestler of all time is HBK, my number 1, without a shadow of a doubt, but even i can admit that as a mainstream wrestling star he is not on the same level Austin is or Hogan.

Same goes for Cena, he has not crossed over to the mainstream, he cant cross over no matter what they try, most average people dont even know who he has and WWE has spent years and millions of dollars on making him "the man".

You can ask the marks, the smarks, the casuals, the mainstream and they will all point to Austin over Cena, he was a better wrestler in his prime than 99% of the roster today, he was a better talker, he had more charisma, and he had a better and more over character.

Only thing Cena has over Austin is a bigger body, but Mason Ryan also has a bigger body than Austin and it dosent mean anything

Back in 90s when stone cold was in his prime u didnt have to be a wrestling fan to know who stone cold was...he was practically everywhere.....tv guide magazines,espn sportscenter etc etc....i wud say along with hogan, stone cold is probably the most recognized wrestler of all time.....Stone cold movie career as of late has been better than john cena....Austin has been in mainstream movies like longest yard and tv series like chuck just to name a few...he got a major role in The expendables....He has been casted in the upcoming expendables 2.......John cena on the other hand has make a wish foundations and sum movies...but lets face it...back in 90s wrestling was a huge part of pop culture so everybody knew who stone cold was...i cant say the same for john cena...he is probably the most recognized wrestler of today but he cant hold a candle to stone cold.....back in 98/99 stone cold was one of the most recognized people in the united states....need a prove??...he sold 3 million t shirts alone in 98!!!!!...thats freaking insane......come march 7 austin/cole segment drew 4.4 rating!!!!!...this rating was garnered by astone cold who is 8 years 10 years past his prime.....i am not an austin mark nor am a cne fan but i am sorry cena fanboys he cant hold a candle to the texas rattlesnake

You know, this thread really makes me think about something..

Currently today, most fans consider The Rock greater than John Cena.
I've noticed most fans, in most forums, prefer The Rock over John Cena in every possible poll there is, an example is the poll here regarding "Who wins the battle of words". I know it doesn't specifically talk about "who's greater", but it certeinly shows people believe The Rock is way better than Cena on the mic. And it's unlikely to be considered "greater" than somebody if you're considered inferior to them in a few categories (and, as I said, people on other forums share the oppinion of Cena being inferior to The Rock).
Now, some wrestling fans dislike The Rock for how he left the business, so naturally they wouldn't give much respect for him, but even they admit he was the greatest of his time, along with Stone Cold.
Whether he was better than Stone Cold or not, that's not the discussion here, but when you think of the top faces of the Attitude Era, you always think about Stone Cold AND The Rock. For the discussion, lets say they were about equal in their greatness, even though each one was great in his own way.

My point is, if The Rock is considered supperior to John Cena today, even after a 7 years absence, whereas he's considered equal (or sometimes even less great) than SCSA, doesn't that mean that SCSA is considered greaterthan John Cena?

Man I thought the title of this post was just something to draw ppl in, but the OP is serious. Okay what makes a wrestler great is the Impact he or she has had on the business. John Cena may be the face of the company, but as of right now he does not have the same impact as Austin did, & if he continues to entertain us on the level he is doing now he will be lucky to be in the top 30 of all time greats.

If Cena was to retire right now there's not many ppl that would care, but when Austin & Rock was done you see how the ratings are right now. How can Cena be all that great when there calling Rock & Austn in to help ppv sales. They wasn't calling legends in to help them bring ratings in. Cena may have a chance to be remember as an all time great, but as of right now the man GOT NO CHANCE!!!

In all honesty I don't think you could say who is the greatest ever Hogan, Austin, HBK, The Rock, Triple H but i think as far as Cena goes he has to be in the mix. Wrestling has changed decade by decade and I think it would be unfair to compare like for like - they all bring their individual merits to the table

Considered bigger than Stone Cold, probably not. Cena, Vince McMahon, and Ric Flair have all stated that they think Austin is the biggest star ever. Even though how big of a fan I am of Cena, being considered greater than Stone Cold is a bit of a stretch.

Being in the top ten of all time, definately. He's only 33, has already had a few 4 star quality matches, and has a long future ahead of himself. He'll definatley be in the top ten of all time. Maybe in the top four. Austin, Hogan, Rock, Cena.

I agree with you but for a very different reason. Right now most of us on these forums are 18-40, the age that dominates society. So most of us grew up watching Austin or Hogan and view them as the best. When these 3-12 year old kids are in their 20s Cena will be considered one of the greatest and they will criticize the new face of WWE.

Perhaps another way of looking at this is the place in wrestling history that each star and other stars have and the what place they still possess.

Bruno Sammartino is not likely to be overtaken in his place in the business. He held the title longer than anyone and was the face of the WWWF for many years. Backlund has his place, as does Zbyszko, Bockwinkel and many of the legends in the business. They won't be buried because someone else became popular. That is the nature of the beast.

Hogan, Rock, Austin, Cena, Orton, Punk, Michaels, Taker, all have distinct reasons for impacting the world of wrestling, and all like the older legends I mentioned will be remembered for generations to come. Hogan for bringing the world of wrestling to the mainstream, Rock, Austin, Michaels and Taker are all a big part of the age of Attitude. And Austin is the face of that era. Do we then make the assessment that simply because Austin the uber face of wrestling in his time that he's bigger and more popular than Hogan? Would you say the same of the Rock?

This is where I see the root of this thread as leading. Cena is the face of the WWE now. This in no way impacts Austin's popularity, nor what Austin accomplished for the WWE and wrestling in general. He had the ball, and now Cena has it. In maybe 5 years, some other star will likely rise and begin to eclipse him and the torch will be passed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cena hasn't replaced Austin or anyone else. He's the current face, and one day someone else will be the that face and no doubt someone will do a thread reflecting on Cena in the same light we're reflecting on Austin.

Oh My God!! Its really unfair, just because you are Cena hatters or Attitude Era Marks, that doesnt have anything to do with
Cena over Austin!!

Lets make this clear - John Cena isnt a bad wrestler, if you doubt go see is matches when he was being build!!!

Second off, Stone Colds legacy are all connected with The Rock and VKM!!!

John Cena is only 33 years old, he had great feuds, he had awesome promos, he had championships and battles of a lifetime (JBL's fight, Orton & Legacy, Nexus, Batista)
He is going to HoF and he certainly is one of the best entertainers ever!!!
at least Top 10 EASY!!!

Some of you mention these 2 changing the face of wrestling, I don't agree. The person that has changed the face of wrestling is Mick Foley. He is pretty much responsible for the Extremely Violent kind of wrestling that became ECW, and led to the verbage called Hardcore. Stop Signs, Cake Pans, Cheese Graters, and Falls from great heights, that's Mick Foley. There have been many unfortunate injuries because of people trying to imitate him.

You cannot compare Stone Cold and John Cena. John Cena is the ultimate Face, just like Hulk Hogan used to be, until Hogan embraced the NWO.

Stone Cold was Stone Cold, he was a man against the machine, and he didn't pick sides. He fought the establishment, and that was his claim to fame.

Cena is pudding and sweet rice served up to the masses as the good guy. The only way for Cena to go is bad....and it will happen, just like it did with Hogan.

:icon_eek:.......:lol::lmao::lmao::lmao:

John cena will be greater than stone cold?! The man who revolutionized the business?! the man who was led the greatest era in wrestling?! WHAT?! The man who took the wrestling world to another level? WHAT?! The man who was a big reason why the wcw ran outta business? WHAT?! The man who turned the business system(Heel, face) upside down with his antihero character?!

I wonder what would happen if the old wcw are going head to head with today's wwe under cena's leadership?!

Without stone cold, there would be no wwe.

The only way Cena can really get over with the fans massively & start revolutionizing the current WWE product & start to get Stone Cold like popularity & legend status is to turn heel, like MASSIVE heel. More heel than Michael Cole, nWo Hogan & SCSA put together. But can it be done? Possibly. Will WWE turn Cena heel? Maybe but not too high of a chance.

Nah. John Cena will never be considered as great as Stone Cold. Stone Cold not only was instrumental in changing how wrestling was presented to the world, but he was possibly the top reason the WWF was saved during the Monday Night Wars. Seriously, it was close to folding in '97-98 but Stone Cold put it over the top barely a year later. He wasn't the only guy but I doubt it could have been done so swiftly and decisively without him leading the charge.

John Cena is nothing but a stale vanilla character. In terms of title runs and accomplishments he might have more than Stone Cold, but in terms of lasting influence Cena is just another top face, whereas Austin redefined wrestling.

Just my take of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back