What's your favourite Starrcade PPV?

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Starrcade95.jpg

My pick goes to Starrcade 1995. There wasn't one bad match on the PPV at all imo. I loved the NJPW vs. WCW World Cup matches, they had the right talents from each company going up against each other. The Triple Threat match to determine who would go on to face Savage for the WCW Championship in the main event and Flair vs. Savage were both top notch. Kudos to Sting, Lex Luger, Randy Savage & Ric Flair for wrestling two matches in one night. Just goes to show that you don't need Hogan to put on a good card when you got those 4 talented wrestlers wrestling twice in one night.​

Since I'm a Roddy Piper mark. I'd say '83 and '96. Classic PPVs.

Oh and 97 was amazing too with the buildup of Hogan vs Sting.

My favorite was Starrcade 87. I was glued to the television when I was a kid; each match was great. The Dusty Rhodes-Lex Luger match was great. I was thinking to myself, "How is this old man gonna defeat Luger". It was a great moment when Rhodes won. Garvin-Flair was one of the greatest old school cage matches of that time.
I'm a big tag team wrestling fan, so my second choice would be Starrcade '90 with the international tag tourney. That was some of the best tag team wrestling I've ever seen. Thought the main event was nothing special, i did get a chance to see one of my all time favorite wrestle-Stan Hansen in a tx bullrope match against Lex Luger. Then Doom vs Anderson & Blanchard was a great tag team match during that time. On second thought '90 is my favorite. LOL!!!

I loved the concept of the iron man tournaments at Starrcade 89, I think it would have been a better concept if they had taken out the champions and had the winners get world and tag title shots at say the next years Great American Bash. Would have given you half a year of build up, I think it could have been a great answer to the Royal Rumble.

Also loved Starrcade 87, it was my first Starrcade, Anderson/Blanchard v. Road Warriors was great, Dusty / luger in the cage, Flair regaining the belt, the skywalker match sucked and was the low point for me, but even though it sucked was probably the best one I've ever seen.

Starrcade 85 was great, the Andersons/Rock & Roll Express match, phenomenal "I Quit" match in the cage for the US Title pitting Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard, and one of the best televised Dusty Rhodes-Ric Flair matches, with the hype of Dusty's return from a broken leg, suffered at the hands of Flair.

Several good matches in 87 too, the top two matches (Luger/Rhodes & Flair/Garvin) easily the best.

Starrcade 97 and 98 had huge main events, the undercards were so so. 95 had a lot of entertaining matches but most of them pitted wrestlers you never heard of against established WCW stars. Flair did wrestle two matches back to back, an oddity, as he earned a Word Title reign for the 15'th consecutive year (he actually did it 16 straight years, 1981-1996)'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back