Sting's Starrcade/BFG Record vs. Undertaker's Streak at Wrestlemania

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
We've had Sting vs. Undertaker threads before, and rightfully so. If there are two men that are the franchises of their companies moreso then anyone, it's Sting for WCW/TNA (Moreso for just being the last major player to never be with the WWE) vs. the Undertaker's 18 years of employment with the WWE.

misc.jpg

But as you look at them, both of these men have "shown up" when it comes to their respective companies marquee pay per view show. So which is more impressive, Sting's amazing record at Starrcade/Bound For Glory vs. the Undertaker's 16-0 Wrestlemania streak. I chose these two, because out of all of the major players, these two have by far the most impressive Win/Loss records out of everyone, including Hulk Hogan. I'll break it down into two post, first the Stinger.

Stings Resume.
Starrcade 1987.
A Rather forgetful match featuring Sting teaming with Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin to take on Rick Steiner, Eddie Gilbert, and Larry Zybsko. Sting's rookie outing in the big event was a rather uneventful Dusty Booking time limit Draw.

Result: Time Limit Draw (0-0-1)

Starrcade 1988.
Yet again, another match that didn't feature Sting in a singles affair. Sting teamed with Dusty Rhodes to face off against the Road Warriors for the NWA tag team titles. This match ended in a DQ win for Sting and Rhodes, but no tag team championship.

Results: Win via DQ (1-0-1)

Starrcade 1989:
Now to begin, this was typical WCW Cluster Fuck. The point of the evening was a round robin tournament to determine new number one contenders for the Tag and World Champions. Sting, Luger, Muta and Flair were involved in the round Robin for the NWA Championship. Each match was scored via points depending on outcomes, and the person with the most points at the end of the night was the new champion.

Match 1: Sting vs. Lex Luger. The first match of the championship Round Robin were these two. A nice little match, but Luger picked up the victory after placing his feet on the ropes to pin sting.

Match 2: Sting vs. the Great Muta. Another nice little match, which saw Sting get a victory over one of the business's biggest names.

Match 3: Sting defeated NWA Ric Flair to become the number one contender for Flair's NWA championship. Yes, leave it to this type of booking that would ultimate be the downfall of the company. To put the champion in a tournament to decide the number one contender for said championship is ridiculous, but it was the NWA.

Results: Sting loses to Luger, Defeats the Great Muta and Ric Flair (3-1-1)

43.jpg

Starrcade 1990
Sting defended his NWA Championship against Ric Flair (Black Scorpion) inside of a steel cage. The Black Scorpion was yet another black eye in the history of professional wrestling, but yet again Sting picks up a big victory on the biggest stage against the companies biggest name.

Results: Sting pins Ric Flair in a Steel Cage (4-1-1)

Starrcade 1991
Battlebowl, another terrible WCW concept. The entire pay per view was built around 10 tag team matches. The winners of those tag team matches would be put inside of the Battle Bowl (20 Man Battle Royal) to determine the new number one contender.

Sting and Abdullah the Butcher defeated Brian Pillman and Bobby Eaton. Again, not too much to say about a match thrown together and only lasting five minutes.

Battle Bowl. Sting defeated 19 other stars including Lex Luger, Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Big Van Vader, Ron Simmons and Scott Steiner. (6-1-1-)

Starrace 1992
Steve Williams and Sting defeated Jushin Liger and Eric Watts in a Battle Bowl qualifying match. Again, not an impressive night for WCW.

Match 2: Sting defeated Big Van Vader. Well WCW got one thing right. Instead of dedicating the entire card to the Battle Bowl, they actually built it around some individual feuds. Sting and Vader always delivered.

Match 3: Sting lost his battle bowl matchup. Stings Record over all (8-2-1)

Starrcade 1993

Sting and Road Warrior Hawk vs. WCW Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys. Another shot at the tag gold at Starrcade ending in a DQ victory for Sting and Hawk, again, more "dusty" booking.

Starrcade 1994
Sting defeated Avalanche (earthquake). Again, another match that the Stinger wins by DQ at the biggest stage. Stings Record (10-2-1)

Starrcade 1995
Sting defeated Kensuki Sasaki. Starrcade 95 was billed as NJPW vs. WCW. This was the final match to determine which company would win, and Sting brought it home for WCW.

Sting wrestled a match immediatley following this matchup. Typical WCW booking. Ric Flair defeated Sting and Lex Luger in a triangle match (via countout), that's right, a wrestler one a triangle match by countout.

Stings Record (11-3-1)

42.jpg

Starrcade 1997​
Well what more can be said about this matchup that hasn't been said already. Arguably the biggest match of the 1990's, easily the biggest match in WCW's history, and arguably the 2nd biggest, if not biggest, match of the last 25 years. Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting. Sting wins in his first match in nearly a year and a half, but much controversy surrounds the outcome.

Results: Stings wins the WCW Championship, improves to (12-3-1)

Starrcade 1999
Sting vs. Lex Luger. Another forgettable match featuring the WCW version of the mega powers. Sting avenges his earlier Starrcade loss by defeating the total package by DQ. (13-3-1)

sting-champ.jpg

Bound For Glory 2006
After a nearly half a decade removed from the business, the Stinger returned to the six sided ring and in his first year headlined TNA's version of Wrestlemania. At BFG 06 he put his career on the line and defeated Jeff Jarrett for the NWA Championship, becoming the only man to win that title pre and post WCW. (14-3-1)

Bound for Glory 2007
Sting comes into his 2nd main event at TNA's grand stage to face off against Kurt Angle. Sting comes out and wins the TNA title for the first time upping his record to (15-3-1).

Sting will also be headlining his third consecutive Bound For Glory Pay Per View as he enters in for the third straight year as challenger, this year to Samoa Joe's TNA title.

Sting's Over All Record (15-3-1)
Stings Single Match Record is 10-1, with is only loss coming to Lex Luger with Luger using the ropes.

Sting has main evented Seven Starrcade's/Bound For Glorys, and will Main event his 8th this year.

Sting has retained his title once, won two number one contender matches, and has won each of the WCW, NWA, and TNA world titles.

Now the Case for the Undertaker.

21.jpg

Wrestlemania 7
The Undertaker's first appearance at the grandest stage of them all. In his rookie outing, the Undertaker defeated eventual WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Snuka in a squash match. The Match is more memorable for Bobby Heenans commentary.

Results: Taker beats Snuka to go to (1-0)

Wrestlemania 8
The Undertaker had turned face at the beginning of the year after Jake Roberts interfered with Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth's wedding. The Undertaker finally showing some humanity, stopped Jake Roberts from hitting Miss Elizabeth with a steel chair. This prompted a match at the Hoosier Dome, Jake's last match with the company.

Results: The Undertaker wins driving his record to (2-0)

Wrestlemania IX
Harvey Whippleman proved to the world that cavemen did indeed exist. The Giant Gonzalez, cave man suit and all, all but decimated the Undertaker at the 1993 Royal Rumble, setting up this match at Wrestlemania 9, easily the Undertaker's largest challenger to date.

Results: The Undertaker wins by DQ after being choked out by a cloth filled with either (3-0)

Wrestlemania 11
The Undertaker began a feud with Ted DiBiase and his Million Dollar Corporation. To face the Undertaker, The Million Dollar Man brought in the aging King Kong Bundy to face the deadman.

Results: The Undertaker wins with relative ease (4-0)

Wrestlemania XII
Kevin Nash turned heel at the Royal Rumble, interfering in what was a spectacular match between Bret Hart and the Undertaker. The Undertaker returned the favor the next month at In Your House, coming threw the ring during a steel cage match to drag Diesel down, setting up this match. Some believe the only reason the Undertaker won was because of Kevin Nash's pending move to WCW.

Results: The Undertaker moves to (5-0)

03.jpg

Wrestlemania 13
Do to the mass confusion surrounded around the WWF championship in early 1997, the Undertaker moved into the Main Event for the first time of his career at Wrestlemania. Some argue the only reason he was in the main event is because Shawn Michaels lost his smile (aka vacating the WWF Title so he wouldn't have to be a man and do what was right for the business and drop the title to Bret Hart).

Results: The Undertaker wins his second over all WWF Championship, and his first at Wrestlemania. (6-0)

Wrestlemania 14
Throughout 1997, Paul Bearer hinted that the Undertaker's brother was coming to take revenge for the Undertaker burning him when he was a child. The Big Red Monster Kane debuted at Badd Blood 1997, costing the Undertaker a shot at the WWF Championship. This led to a 6 month build to their match at Wrestlemania 14. A match memorable for Kane beginning is feud with Pete Rose, and taking 3 Tombstone Piledrivers from the Undertaker.

Results: In a some what criticized at the time move, the WWF booked the Undertaker over his brother to go (7-0)

Wrestlemania 15
The Undertaker began a feud with Vince McMahon to take over the WWF. Much like the Money Inc Feud four years earlier, McMahon sends a lackey to take care of the Undertaker, this time in the form of the Big Bossman, and inside of Hell in a Cell.

Results: Pretty much considered universally as the worst pay per view Cell match, the Deadman ups his record to (8-0)

Wrestlemania X-7
The Deadman appears at Wrestlemania for the first time as the American Badass to face his toughest challenger at Mania, the Game Triple H. The Undertaker faced Triple H in the Undertakers home arena of the Astrodome with 65,000 plus fans cheering him on.

Results: In a somewhat shocking decision, the Undertaker keeps the streak alive against at the time red hot Triple H to go to (9-0).

Wrestlemania X-8
For the first time in 11 years, the Undertaker showed up to Wrestlemania as a heel, this time to face the legendary Ric Flair. This was a match that the Undertaker requested backstage, and a match that Ric Flair credits for re-starting his career.

Results: The Undertaker defeats the Naitch to move to (10-0)

Wrestlemania XIX
In a questionable booking decision, the WWE moved the Big Show vs. Undertaker match to No Way Out 2002, the clear cut feud that should have ended in a match at Wrestlemania. The WWE blew it's wad on this match, and rushed to fill it with teaming Big Show with the A-Train, and the Undertaker with Nathan Jones. Unbeknown to the WWE, but to everyone else, Nathan Jones was terrible and pulled from the match.

Results: The Undertaker defeats the Big Show and the A-Train in what was billed as a 2 on 1 Handicap match to move to (11-0)

Wrestlemania XX
After a 4 year hiatus, the Undertaker goes back to the darkside as the Phenom returns to the ring. This time the Undertaker faces his brother Kane again to avenge a beat down he received at Survivor Series.

Results: The Deadman returns and moves his record to (12-0)

Wrestlemania 21
Easily the biggest threat to end the Streak was at this Wrestlemania. Randy Orton had billed himself as the Legend Killer, and looked to make a name for himself by knocking off the deadman and Wrestlemania.

Results: The Undertaker, again in a questioned booking move, goes over the young Orton and moves to (13-0)

Wrestlemania 22
The Undertaker faced off against the worlds strongest man Mark Henry in a casket match.

Results: In easily the most forgettable of the Undertaker's mania matches since 15, the Undertaker puts away Henry to move to 14-0.

The_Undertaker_410788a.jpg

Wrestlemania 23
The Undertaker won the 2007 Royal Rumble to earn a shot at Batista's World Heavyweight championship at Wrestlemania 23. This match was the bright spot and easily the match of the night on another wise terrible card.

Results: The Deadman takes down the Animal to win his 2nd championship at Wrestlemania.

Wrestlemania 24
The Undertaker for the second year in a row challenges for the World Heavyweight Championship, this time against a man that had been a thorn in his side for nearly an entire year, the Rated R Superstar Edge.

Results: The Undertaker main events his second Wrestlemania and wins his 3rd World title at Wrestlemania.

So overall. (16-0)
In singles Matches (15-0)
The Undertaker has main evented two Wrestlemanias.

The Undertaker has won one WWF Championship and Two World titles at Wrestlemania, becoming only the third man in WWF/E history to win 3 world titles at Wrestlemania, the other two being Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

It's a lot to digest, but which is more impressive, the Undertaker or Stings record at their respective big pay per views.

I think it has to be Undertaker. Its hard to vote against a perfect record, even when the other is a legend in and of himself, in Sting. To me, perfect is simply better than not perfect. Maybe a comparison between Sting and Shawn Michael's PPV career, using Starrcade, BFG and Wrestlemania would be a closer comparison, but, nobody can match Undertaker's Wrestlemania record.

I have to go with Taker also. Sting may have 15 wins, but 5 were in tags and more than once he won multiple matches in one night. He's also lost matches which I think is where the line is clearly between these two. Sting has had a legendary career, as has Taker. However, people like to argue that Taker will be known for far many things other than his streak. Can someone name one of these things that doesn't involve Hell in a Cell matches? The streak is by far Taker's claim to fame. First thing when you think of Undertaker: Wrestlemania. Both of these guys have had squashes and pointless matches at this show, but in the later years both have been nothing but main eventers. Overall I have to go with Taker. He's undefeated, has had only debatably one tag match, and has only recently become the featured player there. Sting was always the man in WCW, and was always featured. Taker has been steadily rising up. The streak is part of most of our time growing up. Has to be Taker.

STING NO QUESTION!!

Sting has been with the likes of Rhoads, Flair, Jarrett, Hogan, Steiners, Road Warriors, Lugar, angle, Vader..

And has been sucessful in different types of matches, and with titles from NWA, WCW, TNA

Taker has beaten the likes of Mark Henry, Orton, bossman.. but quilty wins over flair, hbk, HHH though...

I like them both but Sting trumps taker by leaps and bounds.

Now a Taker vs Ultimate Worrior would be a treat!

Beating Jeff Jarrett is no real accomplishment.

Of the others you mentioned, Undertaker has also been with the likes of Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors, Lex Lugar, Kurt Angle and Vader. Among those you list, to the best of my recollection, that leaves Jeff Jarrett and the Steiners. I don't think you want to claim that as reason to pick Sting though, when Taker has fought Austin, the Rock, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Mankind, and a host of others. If you are basing your opinion on the quality of their opponents over their careers, its still no contest, Undertaker wins.

Those of Stings matches posted are easily better than most of The Undertakers matches. Before I get started, I'd like to point out I am an Undertaker fan moreso than Sting, but you can'tr deny Sting has had some great matches.

I'm not going to go through them all, but I'm sure most fans have seen all or most of these matches. The Undertakers matches, often, are only classed as great here because they were part of the streak. The only man to be undefeated at Wrestlemania.

Sting, on the other hand, had some great matches. And people aren't generally bias towards his matches, as they weren't thought to be as part of some streak.

Saying that, by default, never being unbeaten at Wrestlemania sounds better than great matches at Starcade and Bound For Glory. The fact that it's the biggest PPV of the year for the biggest company means by default The Undertaker would pretty much win this thing.

I see some picking the Undertaker because he's A.) Undefeated and B.) Not had as many Tag matches which lead to victories, like Sting. However I side against the Deadman in this debate because I don't think he had near as many hard challenger's as Sting has had. What you truly need to do, in understanding this is break it down bit by bit.

Overall, the Undertaker might be 16-0, but how many TRUE challengers did he actually get?

Randy Orton: This was arguably his biggest and most impressive victory because Taker at this time was being billed as Undefeated, and Randy Orton was being billed as the guy taking out Legend's for what they're mainly known for. In my personal opinion and what it'll remain for the end of time.. Orton was robbed his legendary status, because more people felt the Undertaker's streak was more important.

I think this would've and could've very well been the single victory Randy Orton needed, to get him over more than anything as a dominate player, and someone to take very seriously in the Main Event scene. Instead, we had to wait roughly 3 years for Orton to pick up an impressive Wrestlemania victory, while the Undertaker picked up almost as many World Titles in the same time.

Edge: While in my heart I want to say this could've been a threat, the fact is I don't see how. They had a great opportunity to make Edge a real threat to the Undertaker's streak, but in building this match up all the did to Edge was turn him into a pussy who tucked and ran away.

There was never any real threat to Taker's streak in this match, and some could even say because McMahon (backstage) mulled over Batista ending the streak once upon a time.. that the Batista/Taker match had more threatening impact than the Edge/Taker one. However, none the less.. I only put this match up because it COULD'VE been a solid threat.. that was just never played out properly.

Kane: (Mania XIV) Before the Age of Orton, or even the Dawn of Evolution.. we had the Rise of Kane. This was also during a point in time when the Undertaker's streak, to my knowledge, wasn't being mentioned or even noted at being there.

I really thought Kane had as great an opportunity to defeat the Undertaker, more than anyone else. I also feel this is where the real demon that should've been "Kane" was destroyed and left for dead, because he wasn't really ever the same since.

Their rematch at Wrestlemania XX was a pure joke, and I could easily say the Big Boss Man or Ric Flair stood more of a chance at defeating Taker than Kane did the second time around.

Triple H.: This was the end-all be-all to true challenges for Taker, because once again they had only just started to mention the Undertaker being undefeated at Wrestlemania.. but it wasn't in the same sense as to say he's "perfect" so much as to say "Triple H. would gain a lot from beating him".

I really thought Taker was going to lose this match, and even the chemistry and whole set-up of this entire thing was played to a perfect Tee. Several close calls and missed finishes. Triple H. drilling Taker in the head with the Sledgehammer, reversing the Last Ride was when I thought it was completely over.. but Taker proved why he's undefeated by pulling this one out. This was by far his more impressive and best victory over anyone, anytime.

Conclusion: In the end, that's just realistically 4 guys. So 12 of the matches outside of these four individuals were either too one sided in the Undertaker's favor, or clearly no even worth attempting to think Taker had any real threat. Because of that, the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak is anything BUT impressive to me.. it's as much of a fluke as Punk was World Champion, and yes.. I said it.

Now, regarding Sting.. I won't say his 'Streak' if you wanna call it that, at Starrcade and Bound For Glory is as "note-worthy" as the Undertaker's Mania history.. but I will say Sting has had tougher challenger's and he's meant more to the shows overall than Taker's streak did to Mania.

In the end, Sting doesn't have to 'hang his hat' on an Undefeated streak because he's meant more to the overall industry than some win/loss record. The Undertaker might not be able to say that, especially with giving up victories outside of Wrestlemania to any number of random smucks. (Maven, anyone)

Furthermore, Sting's victories at Starrcade/Bound For Glory have been for so much more than just wins or losses. And if you look even closer from Shocky's notes.. Sting's only ever WON World Heavyweight Titles.. he's never lost them. (barring the 1995 match in which he didn't advance to a title shot)

He's undefeated at Bound For Glory, and he's won the World Title back-to-back times. He won the Heavyweight Championship from Hulk Hogan, and even though that match was arguably no contest.. it was still a milestone in the entire industry. Compare that to anything Taker has done at Mania, and it'll never equal remotely close.

Sting is better overall, regardless of any losses he's taken, or any number of Tag matches he's been in that's helped him to a victory. Taker's hot-shotted his streak to an impressive number over guys that were either beyond their prime, (Snuka, Bundy, Flair) going out the door, (Roberts, Nash) used strictly to make Taker look impressive, (Gonzalez, Kane, Henry, Batista) or never in his league to begin with. (Bossman, Big Show/A-Train, Sid Vicious)

Sting is 15-3-1 and will be main eventing his 8th "Big" PPV in his career, and has also won each of his companys top titles at them.

The Undertaker is 16-0 and has main evented 2 WM's and one both top titles in a single company.

To me Sting takes this one. Not out of me being biased, but more so because of his opposition. As Will has stated The Undertakers opponents have been not the best opposition except for the last couple of years. Whereas Stings opponents have been tough, and was involved in one of the biggest, if not THE biggest storyline in modern day wrestling. I wont go into like Will did, but to me going 16-0 is impressive. But going 15-3-1 with better competition is even more impressive. It's too bad we cant see these guys face off...

I have to go with Taker on this one simply because in all of his WrestleManias he has beat his opponent right in the middle of the ring where as Sting has won some by DQ and Countout. It means more to beat someone clean right in the middle of the ring I think it says the company has faith in you and it means your a big star.

If you win by DQ or Countout a big event like Starcade/BFG or Wrestlemania then that means your facing someone whom is also as big of if not bigger a star and they dont want to loose that persons rank in the company by being beat cleanly at the biggest show of the year.

I gotta go with Taker on this one simply because he is undefeated. While I agree that his competition hasnt been the best its hard to vote against somebody that hasnt lost. He still won the championship on 3 different occasions and was the last match on the card twice. The names he beat may not be in the class of some of Stings opponents but it wasnt like he was beating nobody's all the time either. He's beaten the likes of HHH, Edge, Batista, Orton and Kane. And as already stated it wasnt like every match he was in was at the bottom of the card. He was in some main events.

Id like to compare it to a college football's BCS. Say a team that plays in a lesser conference goes undefeated but at the same time played some quality opponents. But then the other team loses 2 or 3 times but plays a tougher schedule like say in the SEC or something. Who would go you pick to go to the championship? I would side with the undefeated team simply because they never did lose.(assuming they played some quality opponents) and thats who most of the voters who choose too.

I think the Undetaker's streak is more impressive as he has never lost and has won 3 titles and has beaten former world champions in nearly all his matches. Also, I think the Undertaker has faced better opponents than Sting as the Undertaker has beaten former world champions in Ric Flair, Triple H, Edge, Randy Orton, Kane, Batista, Big Show and Sid Vicious which make his undeafeted streak stand out more than Sting's record at Starrcade and Bound For Glory

I think the Undetaker's streak is more impressive as he has never lost

Sting's only lost once in a single's match, against Lex Luger with his feet being on the ropes. Sting (dispite that) came back that night to win a World Heavyweight Championship though.

Just because the Undertaker hasn't lost 16 matches on the same Pay per view, doesn't EXACTLY make him the greatest. You have to break down his opponents compared to Sting's.. which I did earlier. Taker's undefeated streak is realistically more set at 5-0 than 16-0.

and has won 3 titles

Sting has defended a Championship, which some would say is harder than winning it. Sting's also defeated several top names to become World Heavyweight Champion.. so let's break down this for a moment.

The Undertaker has defeated Sid Vicious, Batista and Edge to win his Championships. Whereas Sting has defeated Ric Flair, (in his prime) Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett.

I would say defeating Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan is a LOT more impressive than defeating Batista and Sid Vicious. Edge was Taker's biggest Championship accomplishment defeat.. and even at that, Sting matched it by defeating Kurt Angle, T.N.A.'s golden ticket at that time.

and has beaten former world champions in nearly all his matches.

King Kong Bundy, Giant Gonzalez, A-Train, Mark Henry, Jake Roberts and Jimmy Snuka are hardly what I'd call "former World Champions". And the great ones he has defeated (Ric Flair) weren't in their prime.

Also, I think the Undertaker has faced better opponents than Sting as the Undertaker has beaten former world champions in Ric Flair, Triple H, Edge, Randy Orton, Kane, Batista, Big Show and Sid Vicious which make his undeafeted streak stand out more than Sting's record at Starrcade and Bound For Glory

The Undertaker has had roughly 5 top challenges in Wrestlemania history. With most of those challenges coming after his streak was a 'big deal'.

Sting has only lost ONE time in a Single's match, and noone ever brought up Sting's record at either Starrcade or Bound For Glory.. which means more focus was on how great the person was.. not the accomplished 'streak'.

Sting deserves the nod over the Undertaker, because Sting doesn't HAVE to rely on a singular event making his career.. the Undertaker, without Wrestlemania.. isn't shit. Yeah, I said it.

Most of Undertakers Mania matches have been crap, but WWE does a great job of promoting them as something great. But really what is a Starrcade streak if there's no longer a Starrcade? And does anybody other than the people at TNA think of Bound For Glory as being an important show?

Most of Undertakers Mania matches have been crap, but WWE does a great job of promoting them as something great. But really what is a Starrcade streak if there's no longer a Starrcade? And does anybody other than the people at TNA think of Bound For Glory as being an important show?

This is what I was thinking. But I don't like the idea of comparing the two based off of their streaks. I would hardly argue against almost any WWE superstar using any big name's "streak" from a TNA ppv. But that's not taking anything away from Sting -- the guy is a legend.

But if we HAVE to compare by streaks... I guess i'll have to go with the Undertaker. But that's not really because of the quality of the opponents... it's more or less the fact I always viewed Wrestlemania as a bigger stage than Starrcade. Biased, I know.

The WM streak, while lacking the quality of matches Sting has, in immensely more impressive. Im not sure what the amount of times more prestigous WM is as compared to the combination of starrcade/BFG, but its somewere around ten, I would guess. People tend to overrate things that are old, and remember them more fondly than they actually were. All those awesome matches sting had at all those "epic" Starrcade's were in front of a a ton of empty seats while WCW was bleeding money. WCW only became big in its latter years, and at the time, im still not sure if I could say Starrcade's prestige could rival WM's. That, and Sting doesnt have a pronounced "legacy" like Taker does. True, they have comparable records, but Taker is THE legend of WM, unlike Sting, who while seen in a fond light, isnt really cast as the standard bearer, the unbeatable legend of Starrcade. Undertaker's streak for me, please.

For me, this one has to belong to Sting surprisingly for these reasons:

Opposition
Snuka - Hall of Famer, but really did he actually ever do that much in the ring to merit it?
Jake Roberts - Ok, Jake is a reputable opponent, but given he was leaving the company, would they really have wanted him to take the belt from a guy they were pushing.
King Kong Bundy - A big man past his best and no rival to the Undertaker
Giant Gonzalez - A big threat, but overall, the man was awful in the ring, and to be fair, a DQ win for Taker is a little insulting.
Diesel - Again...respectable opposition in the unfortunate position of leaving the company, so being suitably buried to compensate.
Sid - Sid is the first really reputable opposition Taker faced who wasn't leaving the company...but even then, Taker didn't pick up the straight win and had Bret Hart interfere to pick up the W. Besides...this WM was Bret's year, with the submission match on the card. Taker was overshadowed in his 1st Mania title win
Kane - Again, a solid superstar on a very hot streak. Undertaker took 3 Tombstones to beat his little brother, and the result was criticized for it's booking as many felt Kane deserved to go over here.
Big Boss Man - Hell in a Cell. I remember this one vividly as being poor...even as a kid I thought it was bad. Boss Man was made out the dominant force and had Taker bleeding. Pulled off the win, but looked weak as a result
Triple H - As Shocky stated, the toughest challenger yet. To my mind, hometown fans were what put Taker over here. No-one likes to book WM for the contender to lose a title match in his home town...that's just bad for business. With this win, the 'Streak' was born.
Ric Flair - The common opposition for both Sting and Taker. The difference being when Sting faced Flair, he wasn't a tired old man who should have moved back to Florida playing shuffleboard. He was a middle-aged man, but still holding on to his legend status.
Big Show and A-Train - ... Clearly a bad move. Add Nathan Jones to the picture and you just think 'Why Bother?'. Remove him and have him interfere and it made a bad match look worse for Taker. He needed Nathan Jones to help pick up a win. :rolleyes:
Kane again - Booking wise, Taker was never losing this match. Ever. It's all about preserving the streak now for Taker
Randolph Orton - Orton was the guy killing legends left, right and centre. Taker at Mania was a given to be tried. They even made the effort of bigging up the Streak and saying he'd never do it. He didn't. Streak intact, now on to another poor wrestler...
Mark Henry - Never beating Taker. The big man has always been 'jobber to the stars' material and this is no different
Batista - One of Taker's better matches. Both guys looked good and the feud was booked well. Taker was always taking the belt, but at least he looked good doing it this time
Edge - Two belts in two years for Undertaker. You'd almost think he got injured and never got a chance the first time around to be booked as a champion...Oh wait. Another good match, and probably the best feud apart from Bearer and Kane Taker was in for WM

Sting by contrast faced a prime Ric Flair, the Road Warriors in their prime, Lex Luger (his only loss) when Luger was viewed as a threat, The Great Muta...the Japanese legend, Ric Flair again, Battle bowl wins over Vader, Austin, AA, Ricky Steamboat, Jushin Liger, Tag win over the Nasty Boys, followed by the Big One...taking gold from Hulk Hogan at a big PPV, as well as a win over Jarrett in his own company

Sting's opposition have been much higher quality than Taker's forgetable oppostion.

Booking
Both have been guilty of some booking howlers. The biggest being that Sting's 'losses' have come in multi-man matches and a countout triangle match. Taker has been booked to dominate from WM 17 onwards, and had no option due to the opposition before, with Kane the only real exception

To my mind, Sting being booked to lose a match actually makes his record more credible. He hasn't the shadow of a streak being played upon, one which WWE have been playing on to get interest in the matches, only to have Taker overcome the odds (if there ever were any) to win. Taker's run is purely for the name of having a streak. He even ended Edge's streak at WM to prove that point

After reading these excellent arguments, I still have to stick with my original choice and say Taker. While its true that Taker is now being booked simply due to his streak, as almsot everyone has said, the 8-0 was never even mentioned. This is where the similarity is for these two I believe. Sting's record at big matches is never talked about, ever. Its there and its very impressive, but its never talked about. I think that once Taker finally retires, if his streak is still intact, the debate will end completely. If he winds up being 19 or 20 and 0, that's almost impossible to have anything even argue. THink about this. Coming into this year, I believe Edge was 5-0. He would need to go TEN YEARS before he was even close. Taker's record is impressive because its never coming down. No one is going to be in the company long enough to do it, I don't think. When you break them down, yes Sting had by far better competition. However, Taker has never really been booked as the focal point of the company, whereas Sting was for the majority of the 90s. It makes sense that he'd have the better competition and lose more matches. Taker, as he always has, has flown under the radar until recently with this streak. Have to go with the Deadman, while saying that Sting is amazing at what he's accomplished as well.

After reading these excellent arguments, I still have to stick with my original choice and say Taker. While its true that Taker is now being booked simply due to his streak, as almsot everyone has said, the 8-0 was never even mentioned. This is where the similarity is for these two I believe. Sting's record at big matches is never talked about, ever. Its there and its very impressive, but its never talked about. I think that once Taker finally retires, if his streak is still intact, the debate will end completely. If he winds up being 19 or 20 and 0, that's almost impossible to have anything even argue. THink about this. Coming into this year, I believe Edge was 5-0. He would need to go TEN YEARS before he was even close. Taker's record is impressive because its never coming down. No one is going to be in the company long enough to do it, I don't think. When you break them down, yes Sting had by far better competition. However, Taker has never really been booked as the focal point of the company, whereas Sting was for the majority of the 90s. It makes sense that he'd have the better competition and lose more matches. Taker, as he always has, has flown under the radar until recently with this streak. Have to go with the Deadman, while saying that Sting is amazing at what he's accomplished as well.

I agree great post.

The quality of Stings opponents is just one of many factors on who has the better streak. Regardless of his opponents to remain undefeated at your companys top show is remarkable. I also take into acount that Sting only lost once in singles competition against Luger, my counter argument is that Undertaker has done his streak completely on his own in singles competition whilst Sting has had tag matches. Not to take away from the accomplishment of winning a tag match.

I also agree with Jake when he said "there isn't much point in a streak without Starcade". Wrestlemania is still going, Undertakers streak is in part a contributing factor to this (not to take away ANYTHING from Hogan, Michaels, Randy Savage, Andre The Giant) But for a modern day fan Undertakers streak is part of the prestige of Wrestlemania, it is a a talking point year in year out- "Will the streak continue."

Finnaly I agree with Klunder where he says "Undertakers streak will never be repeated" I have to agree. To even think that a streak like that will be matched by anything in the future is remarkable. Sting's streak will never be repeated because, well, without a Starcade it can't. But whilst Wrestlemania runs and 'Taker continues to go undefeated, his streak is the better in my opinion.

Beating Jeff Jarrett is no real accomplishment.

Of the others you mentioned, Undertaker has also been with the likes of Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, the Road Warriors, Lex Lugar, Kurt Angle and Vader. Among those you list, to the best of my recollection, that leaves Jeff Jarrett and the Steiners. I don't think you want to claim that as reason to pick Sting though, when Taker has fought Austin, the Rock, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Mankind, and a host of others. If you are basing your opinion on the quality of their opponents over their careers, its still no contest, Undertaker wins.

Are you fucking serious; the last time I checked Sting has been in there with Austin yes he was in WCW first; Catcus Jack, Bret Hart, Savage, and other like the real 4 Horseman, Terry Funk Abduallah the Butcher, Ron Simmons before simply Damn the Great Muta; believe me I'm a little bit more of a Taker fan but Sting has had better matches than the Undertaker.

Taker by so damn far. I didn't even know Sting had an undefeated streak at Starrcade and Bound For Glory. Undertaker has beaten more top tier guys than Sting could (a win over Jarrett is not a feather in anyone's cap) and they're actually pushing the fact that 'Taker is undefeated. Also, there's always a tangible feeling of uncertainty whenever he's in a WrestleMania match, could he be beat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back