Whats Your favorite non WWE pay per view of all time

god-soldier

Pre-Show Stalwart
My answer should be for this question Halloween Havoc 98 the card was huge with Kevin Nash vs Scott Hall, Rick Stiener vs Scott Stiener, DDP vs Bill Goldberg, Bret Hart vs Sting and the rematch between Hogan vs Warrior but since it did not live up to the hype it should of its not.

My answer is StarrCade 97

The match between Hogan vs Sting was one of the biggest matches of the 90's and it wasnt a bad match either the build up was done great and the match and the outcome was great too.

Curt Henning vs DDP was a great match for the U.S. all action and that Diamond cutter in the end was one of the best ones I have seen.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero for the Cruiser Weight title stole the show with great action and finish with Eddie Guerrero frog splashing Dean Malenko's injured knee. great action.

Saturn vs Chris Beniot was a great match as well with 2 hard working professional wrestlers going at tooth and nail really like that match

Buff Bagwell pulling a tainted huge upset over Lex Luger was a good match too between 2 well built athletes

Larry Zybszko vs Eric Bischoff with Bret Hart as the referee was a good match and had a funny ending

Bill Goldberg vs Steve McMichael was an okay match not too great another classic Goldberg finish
Overal this was one of the best non WWE PPVs I would like to know which non WWE pay per view is your favorite

Don't know if it's my favorite, but a very good PPV is WCW Uncensored 1997:

1st match: Dean Malenko v Eddie Guerrero for the US title. Eddie goes in as the champion, & the guys put on a 20 minute match that's as good as any you'll see from the era. Little bit of a screwy ending, as Malenko hits Eddie with Syxx's video camera to get the win.

Next match is Ultimo Dragon v Psychosis, 2 of my all time favorite cruiserweights. Quality match, though I would've loved to see them go longer. But the fact that a PPV started out with these to matches is pretty impressive, & it's one of the things I miss about WCW.

Next up is Glacier v Mortis. Well, they can't all be winners. Actually, the PPV hits a bit of a lull here, but it's certainly not horrible. You have a strap match between Buff Bagwell & Scotty Riggs & a tag team match between Harlem Heat & The Public Enemy. They aren't horrible, but not really memorable either.

Next is a pretty solid TV title match between Prince Iaukea & Rey Mysterio. Another quality match. Iaukea was a solid wrestler, & he was getting a pretty good push at this time. And this was a different Mysterio than you see now-healthier, quicker, and willing to do more high-flyer moves.

The main event is a 3 team over the top rope match: Team NWO vs Team WCW vs Team Piper. The teams were: WCW-Luger, Rick & Scott Steiner, & The Giant; NWO-Hall, Nash, Savage, & Hogan; Piper-Piper, Jarrett, McMichael, & Benoit. If WCW won, NWO would have to vacate all their titles & their wrestlers would not be able to compete for 3 years. If NWO won, they'd be able to challenge for any title anytime they wanted. If Piper won, he'd get a cage match with Hogan at a later date. Now, you knew WCW wouldn't win, b/c the NWO guys weren't going away for 3 years. But Piper could've won-a cage match between he & Hogan was certainly feasible. Ultimately, NWO won. But the real story was what happened after the match. NWO was leaving the ring after their celebration when Sting came down from the rafters. At this point, no one really knew which side Sting was on. But he let everyone know very quickly, as he attacked team NWO, laying out all of them, including Hogan. This set up the outstanding storyline of Sting v NWO that ran throughout 1997, though the match that ended it @ Starrcade was not ideal.

This was just a very well made PPV. Apart from the in-ring action, there were very good promos from Team NWO & Team Piper, including a good segment between Savage & DDP that set the table for their feud. Maybe the best aspect of this event was how it set the stage for what we'd see the rest of the year.

It has to be the David Hasselhoff pay-per-view concert back in the mid-nineties. People may forget it because it took place the same night as the OJ Simpson low speed chase. Oh, does it have to be wrestling? And not awful?

Halloween Havoc, period. This was my all time favorite PPV event. I enjoyed all of them, and even though there was something Hokey in some of the earlier events, the PPV was usually very good, year in and out. I was hoping that WWE would revitalize the event, but it looks to not be in the cards.

I remember one in particular, and it was just the neatness of it all.

I believe it was Hogan Vs Piper in the cage, and it was an online only PPV advertised in WCW magazine. At the time I was a huge Hogan mark.

Match was brutal and fun, but streaming quality in the late 90s was terrible, so we ended up getting a refund.

For the life of me I can't remember what that PPV was called.

Other than that one, I would have to go with Starrcade '97. Great wrestling PPV overall, and like the OP, I thoroughly enjoyed the main event between Hogan and Sting.

One of the only non WWE PPVs ive seen (except TNA) is ECW Born to be Wired 97 with matches such as the no rope barbed wire match between funk and sabu, RVD V Dreamer and Shane Douglas V Lance storm. After i watched this it changed my opinion of The Original ECW Dramaticaly.

Starcade 86: Night of the Skywalkers

Wahoo McDaniel vs Rick Rude (with Paul Jones) in an Indian Strap match
Jimmy Valiant (with Big Mama) vs Paul Jones in a Hair versus Hair match with Manny Fernandez locked in a cage
Tully Blanchard (with James J. Dillon) vs Dusty Rhodes in a First Blood match to win the NWA World Television Championship
The Rock 'n' Roll Express vs Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson in a Steel Cage match for the NWA World Tag Team Championship
Big Bubba Rogers aka Big Bossman (with Jim Cornette) vs Ron Garvin in a Street Fight
The Road Warriors (with Paul Ellering) vs The Midnight Express (with Jim Cornette and Big Bubba Rogers) in a Skywalkers match

The Road Warriors won the match by knocking Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey off of the scaffold.
After the match Ellering chased Cornette up the scaffold; this led to Cornette suffering a severe knee injury when he fell from the underside of the scaffold and Rogers, who was supposed to catch him, failed to do so. Cornette did not land properly and had to be carried out of the ring.

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs NWA United States Champion Nikita Koloff

Great card

ECW HeatWave 1998.
The card was a preview of 1-2 years down the road and the classics being put on by Jerry Lynn & JC, Storm/Candidio was good, the Main event was epic, Awesome/Masato (they had some BRUTAL matches) and Taz/Bam Bam II, we didn't get many of the videos of the shows over here but THAT show we did and shit... that was epic.

Havoc and Starcade were must buys. WcW usually pulled out all the stops for those shows. WWE puts up their big 4 but would be wise to implement those 2, especially considering that those ppvs dont conflict with the wwe big 4. Charge us $50 per ppv but cut it down to 8 per year.
January - Royal Rumble
March/April - Wrestlemania
May - Gimmick PPV (TLC/Extreme Rules/etc....)
June - War Games
August - SummerSlam
October - Halloween Havoc
November - Survivor Series
December - Starcade

StarCade 97

It was perhaps the best built up wrestling PPV of all time, the excitement around it was unreal and it felt like a truly groundbreaking event.

Granted things didnt go as we expected but for the sheer spectacle and anticipation StarCade 97 felt bigger than anything out there.

It isent the greatest PPV because some of the matches were duds and the whole Sting vs Hogan thing was a debacle, but i can easily say i looked more forward to it than i even did WM17, which is a better PPV in terms of matches and even entertainment, but for sheer hype nothing will top 97 SC

ECw Baarely Legal-1997. Why? It revolutionized wrestling. Without the rejuvenated ECW there would be no Hardcore wrestling.

1 The Eliminators (John Kronus and Perry Saturn) defeated The Dudley Boyz (Buh Buh Ray and D-Von) (c) (with Joel Gertner and Sign Guy Dudley) Tag team match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship
2 Rob Van Dam defeated Lance Storm Singles match
3 The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Masato Yakushiji* defeated bWo Japan (Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy, and Dick Togo) Tag team match

4 Shane Douglas (c) (with Francine) defeated Pitbull #2 Singles match for the ECW World Television Championship

5 Taz (with Bill Alfonso) defeated Sabu Singles match

6 Terry Funk defeated The Sandman and Stevie Richards (with The Blue Meanie, Hollywood Nova, Thomas Rodman, 7-11) Three-Way Dance

7 Terry Funk defeated Raven (c) Singles match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship

Bash at the Beach 96.

One of the greatest cruiser matches of all time opened the card--Psychosis vs Rey. Had a couple of dud matches with Earthquake-Bossman and Page- Duggan. Konnan and Flair was solid, Arn and Benoit against Sullivan and Big Show was good. Probably the best Nasty Boys match ever---double dog collar against Public Enemy. Sick table spots where the tables Did NOT break....

Oh yeah, the the most historic heel turn of all time and probably Hogan's greatest promo ever

ecw heatwave 99'

my personal favorite ecw ppv. whenever i need to watch an entertaining ppv i usually get this one out. the opener between nova/chetti and roadkill/doring is one of the best openers i have seen. all 4 of these guys were always very underrated. guido vs. super crazy was great as it always was with them. the dudley boyz probably cut the best heel promo i have seen (plus gertner was fantastic). everything about this ppv was awesome. this is one ecw ppv i will always remember

Superbrawl, Starrcade, & Halloween Havocs 1991 first 3 WCW PPV's i ever saw and to me the best as far as actual wrestling goes.
I really liked the idea of the Starrcade lethal lottery it was interesting, it was different from the Royal Rumble

funny those are the only 3 i really remember , the rest of WCW PPV's that i got to watch i remember the basics - great Cruiserweight matches, great TV TItle matches, pretty goood tag team title matches, the rest meh!!!! Swerves galore

Didn't watch or get to even if i wanted to see much beyond WWF til a few years b4 the monday night wars kicked in

ECW i didn't think much of so can't comment on that. It was Extremely Crappy Wrestling to me for the most part. Though now i give it respect for revolutionizing stuff and being a inbetween for some great stars.

Anarchy Rulz 1999.

It was the first ECW PPV that we got in Canada and it was awesome.

Show started with Lance Storm vs. Jerry Lynn which was absolutely fantastic. Still one of my favourite matches to this day.

Justin Credible vs. Sabu was really good and quite fun.

The Three-Way Dance between Taz, Masato Tanaka and Mike Awesome for the ECW World Title was phenomenal.

The main event was Balls vs. RVD and RVD did what RVD did in 1999 and that was put on a five-star match.

All in all ECW's Anarchy Rulz PPV in 1999 was one of the best PPV wrestling events I have ever witnessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back