What's Your Favorite Acoustic Song?

Razor

crafts entire Worlds out of Words
Most people are in agreement that the acoustic version of songs can often be better than the original songs themselves. Or, at least, sound just as bad ass.

This thread is meant for you to proclaim your favorite acoustic song. You know, straight up no electric guitars or fancy accompaniments. Just the singer and a few guitars, rolling out something of incredible awesomeness.

My own favorite Acoustic song is:

Coheed and Cambria: Mother Superior Acoustic
[youtube]Vnwm1nFFBBc[/youtube]​

Acoustically, this song picks up something that the regular song is missing. Maybe I can get a better since of the underlying beat, or maybe I can get a better feel for Claudio's voice and what he's telling me in the story. Coheed and Cambria's songs often rely on the intricate story being woven between the albums, so that just might be it. Sorry I can't be more specific for you guys. ;)

So. Now it's your turn. Your favorite acoustic song, and why it's so awesome. Stake your claim.

Oh jeez, there's honestly too many for me to pick just one...
There's Disarm, Hurt, Falling Away With You...

But I think I'm gonna go with my favourite acoustic artist of all time, Mr. Jeff Buckley with Grace.
The song has some awesome guitar playing and of course Buckley's heavenly voice.
That guitar riff (technically, a riff, right?) is one of the catchiest things I've ever heard and it gets stuck in my head for days at a time. And despite the song structure being slightly unusual, the song overall is just a beautifully crafted piece of music.
But I'll let the song do the rest of the talking for me.
[YOUTUBE]_PLGKSK9-X4[/YOUTUBE]

Note: This song was recorded with an acoustic guitar and it is played live with an acoustic guitar. Ignore his electric in the video.

There are quite a few as an accoustic player myself. Here are a couple of vids of one of my favourite accoustic artists, Bon Iver.

Bon Iver - Blood Bank
[YOUTUBE]k-BZ0D92mtU[/YOUTUBE]

Bon Iver - Skinny Love
[YOUTUBE]JfAS6nwYc9g[/YOUTUBE]​

Just throw it out there, check out Tommy Emmanuel if you haven't already. I saw him a month or 2 ago and he is fucking insane on an accoustic guitar, check this out.

Tommy Emmanuel - Initiation
[YOUTUBE]1tN2LuMQjMo[/YOUTUBE]​

I love the accoustic sound and feel. Playing my guitar is the best feeling I ever have during the day with out a doubt. There is nothing better than hearing my guitar and knowing I'm making that, accoustic sounds are fucking awesome.

Another couple of my favs:

Carey Brothers - Blue Eyes
This is from one of my all time favourite movies, Garden State.
[YOUTUBE]q2XNmF8tnN0[/YOUTUBE]

John Butler Trio - Good Excuse
[YOUTUBE]DL6VeE0Iyho[/YOUTUBE]​

Ok, I don't have sound on my computer here at work, so I can't put up one of those nifty YouTube clips (ya know, the one I post might not work and I'd never know). So, I'll just talk about the greatness that is Pantera's Suicide Note pt. 2. This song was recorded originally as acoustic. First of all, Pantera does NOT play acoustic songs, so right out of the gate this is epic. The song itself is morbidly beautiful, as Phil Anselmo wrote it during the peak of his heroin addiction. The lyrics convey the pain of this addiction and hatred of himself for it. Powerful lyrics set to the background of an uncharacteristic acoustic guitar- there is nothing better than this.

I still get goosebumps every damn time I listen to this song.

How could anyone look past this song?

I know that Lynyrd Synyrd did it first and his version is very good but Shinedown's version is just absolutely supreme. Shinedown are one of my favourite bands and this cover is just stunning. Listen to it right through and I'll bet you are singing it at the end. Just a brilliant song:

[youtube]e5gvSzbSMNg[/youtube]

Nick Drake is a great choice Loveless. You beat me to posting him. For me there are two acoustic players that have always stood out as being the cream of the crop in terms of songwriting and skill, that being the previously mentioned Drake and who I consider to be a bit of a spiritual successor, Elliott Smith. Like Drake he was a troubled man and like Drake he too died of extremely suspicious circumstances that have since been ruled as suicide.

Anyways, few artists evoke the emotional response that these two do for me.

[youtube]cm9wYWuQDA4[/youtube]​

Eliott Smith is an artist who I've only recently gotten into over the last few years, and boy am I glad I did. Such a beautiful songwriter, here are a few of my favorites from him. I can't describe how wonderful I find his music, give it a listen everyone.

[youtube]FQrhA6QtWOM[/youtube]
[youtube]JcK0DsFw-RA[/youtube]
[youtube]snc6xYGhzcU[/youtube]
[youtube]9pyBB7y8fDU[/youtube]​

That last video there is actually just a scene directly from the film "The Royal Tenenbaums", the song "Needle in the Hay" is used to perfection there. I'd post even more of his stuff, but it might be overkill. Basically just check out any of his albums.

I look up acoustic songs on rare occasions and there are four that come to mind straight away. All of them have left their own impression on me for their own reasons.

[youtube]P4il3VSUoTQ[/youtube]​

something about the voice of Matt in this song, conveys the emotions there. I love the heavier version as well but this seems to just show a bit more vulnerability for the situation of the song being sung about.

[youtube]wdD7jlRjvho[/youtube]​

Something about the harmonies in this song gets me, I know that these guys may not be the coolest or the most original but this is good music. Great tour song really. proof that in general the welsh have great voices. and this is one of the songs I use to prove that they aren't just noise.

[youtube]0wO3xGxHqV8[/youtube]​

Love this version of the song. In fact even more than the electric one. I find that acoustic songs tend to give an added vulnerability to songs, and this is one of those songs that it sounds better when the vulnerability is there.

[youtube]52PvOj_E25Y[/youtube]​

This is my favourite Slipknot song by far. It just has that factor that gets me to like it probably the violins and Corey's singing voice, It may not be a proper acoustic song but I don't really care, it is pretty damned close, and it is from slipknot.

I love acoustic music for some reason, but this one always gets me. Maybe its because I can see how its about me, or maybe because of his story, or maybe something else. But this always hits home with me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5XUusvKao[/youtube]

A good runner up, though not completely acoustic. Its another one that really gets to me. Among their drivel, they do have some very good songs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af5baLOcnUU[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back