What's the Purpose of the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Title's?

CM Steel

A REAL American
The TNA Knockouts tag team division has been in TNA/Impact Wrestling for a while now. While there still maintaing there TNA Knockouts single's division. So how can a Knockouts tag team get along while still competing for the TNA Knockout championship? But peep, this is the first time in modern day wrestling that there is a division within a division.

That would be like the WWE having a IC tag team division. The closet the WWE ever had to something like that was when the Headbangers were the self-proclaimed "Tag Team Champions of the Universe" during the attitude era. And in the old WCCW they had for awhile the WCCW 3-man tag team title's. They helped put over the Von Erich's.

So really, what's the purpose of the TNA Knockouts tag team title's?

Well I don't really watch TNA all that much but maybe it's to keep some of the knockouts relevant?

I don't even know who the champs are or how their careers have been so this is all I have

The thing about smaller divisions is that you will probably only have one segment per episode to showcase the division's roster. So what better way is a tag team match... and if this the most common match you will show, then why not have tag titles?

The TNA Knockouts tag team division has been in TNA/Impact Wrestling for a while now. While there still maintaing there TNA Knockouts single's division. So how can a Knockouts tag team get along while still competing for the TNA Knockout championship? But peep, this is the first time in modern day wrestling that there is a division within a division.
Not sure I understand your problem, here. Why would they one need to get in the way of the other? How can tag team divisions exist at all with all these singles belts that the members can compete for?

If you are just saying that the knockouts division is too small to support both championships, you may be right. But if you are saying that the very concept is unworkable, you will need better reasons than you have shwn to make a compelling case. You reference the six man tag belts from world class, but I cannot even see the parallel between that and the KO tag belts. Six man was not a division beyond the tag belts. A better comparison would be to the all-too short lived WCW cruiserweight tag titles. Unfortunately, it was not around long enough to create fodder for comparison.

All the knockouts division needs to support both championships is more talent, and they seem to be slowly acquiring that. Even if I didn't like the matches, anything that increases the chances of getting to see tessmacher and/or velvet sky in those tight shorts is worthwhile to me, and any division with both Mickie James and Gail Kim in it has plenty going for it.

With all the things wrong with wrestling in general these days, and with TNA specifically, it seems that this is a sad location to place scorn. Like complaining about the paint job in your stateroom on the Hindenburg.

I think its basically to give more of the knockouts TV time you don't always see all of them but wit this it gets more of them TV time as. For WWE the divas only usually get a match segment. ocasionly a backstage or too.. I remeber back in the NWA/WCW era.. They had The TV Us tilte an World.. as in Tag division they had World Tag Team an U.S. Tag Team Title.. it was like "using the U.S Tag Titles to build a Tag Team up to the world Tag title.. i remember at one time WCW had the Hardcore, US, TV, Cruiser Weight an World Title. thats 5 singles titles in a company. the Tv might have become Extinct at the end don't really remember... and I remember WWF had Light heavyweight, European, Hardcore, Intercontinental, Hardcore an the WWE Title. so there are 6 titles.. each one minus the lightheavy weight was a stepping stone to the next then they just combined the Eurpean ,hardcore with the Intercontinental.. in a way it was like the more titles they had the more way to expose a lot of the wrestlers on the show wether it was jus to keep the jobbers on the show even or not cuz they still had SUnday night heat that some were band too. but occasionly some of the bigger names got put on it.... I know i steered off it i guess its part of this late night no sleep in 3 days duz 2 u ... feel free to tell me how stupid my output was

The reason was to do something different. This had never been done before. The knockout division was at its peak when these titles came along. It would be part of TNAs legacy. However it has simply faded out. Much like male tag titles. You need real tag teams that come throw the ranks etc so sort out any tag division,or find two wrestlers who really have chemistry and arent worried bout their own legacy but the tag teams, such as the new age outlaws, apa, or in modern day beermoney etc. you get what im saying anyway. not just put 2 random wrestlers together,such as kofi n airboom or any of these women wrestlers. the purpose of the titles not is....there is no point. they are irrelvant but TNA will not just get rid of them as that would be embrassing to admit it never worked.

The simplest solution is they have the KO tag titles because they can, they have talented women in TNA unlike Vince's abortion of Divas....hmmm abortion and diva, probably not the first time those two words have used in the same sentence.

Personally I always thought it was a good idea to have the KO tag titles. It gives the division some more exposure. Look at how much TV time they've given to Velvet since she's one the belt. It hasn't been a lot. Granted the roster isn't large, but you could put the belts on say ODB and Jackie, considering if they're still with the company, it would be a huge boost. Plus I think the fans were receptive to Tara and Tessmacher when they were the champs. I really don't see any negatives.

The problem IMO with the KO titles isn't that they exist or that they aren't defended enough (well that is an issue, but I'll get to that in a minute) — it's that they exist in a division that only harbors a dozen or so competitors, at least four of which at any given time are in the KO Championship title picture, so the real issue is simply the lack of depth required to make the titles relevant where they could actually be regularly sought after and defended.

This is why, IMO, they seem like useless props that only show up every so often on television to no one's care.

With a deeper division (which is an issue in and of itself seeing as most don't tune in to see women's wrestling), they might have a legitimate purpose, but until the numbers increase, the focus on them should and will continue to be rather miniscule.

Back when the Knockouts division was at it's height, having a really quite deep roster, it made sense to have a tag team championship. Hell, they even managed to hold a tournament.

But these days, there's not alot of choice. Either you put them on Sarita & Rosita or Tara & Tessmacher or you start cannabalising the singles division.

The sole purpose of the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Titles is the same purpose as the singles woman's title in TNA and any female titles in WWE. It is simply a way to get some good looking hot women some airtime to display their assets. As IDR said, there are typically four or so women involved in vying for the singles title, which leaves the others with nothing specific going on. This is simply a means to justify their presence on TV. Does this make the tag titles absolutely necessary, of course not. But I don't see any down side to it either. It guarantees another four women some TV time, and that's all either company cares about their female roster.

i think the INTENDED use of the Knockouts Tag Team titles were to get other TNA Knockouts over because they had so many at the time (like ODB, Tara, Love, Sky, Rayne, Sarita, Taylor Wilde and 3 others at the time) and also to give the Beautiful People (Love and Sky at the time) the Tag Team titles, but i think those plans failed with Love had work visa issues and now they are just titles that seem to just be there.

Those titles are just their to keep the title holders revelant while one of them chase the title or are involved in a feud. They do need a deepers women's division to make this more effective.

What is the purpose of a title on a wrestling show? I have no idea ...

I don't really care what the reason TNA uses them is but I know why I appreciate them. They make it really easy to tell when someone is an idiot that is incapable of garnering any enjoyment out of anything that doesn't involve themselves blogging about why everything that isn't their idea is stupid.

I often find these titles to be an amusing topic because many people post about how little they care about them. Contradict yourself much? It is always a good chuckle to see people become so fixated on something that supposedly is irrelevant at best. If something like these titles can rile anyone up then I have no idea how they make it through a day without killing everyone around them, including themself.

Who cares? They are there and are used enough. Why isn't that purpose enough? They have given the Knockouts other means to maintain relevance after whatever highlight they had ends. Good enough purpose for me.

found myself thinking about this the other day. the males tag division ALONE has been on a steady decline itself, formally one of my favorite parts about tna. right now these belts are as dead as eric young's belts, lol.

To be defended on a regular basis, and to be used to spotlight a pair of talented female wrestlers. That's the purpose. It also happens to be the purpose for the World Heavyweight Championshop, the TV title, the tag titles and the X-Division title.

If you're asking what the importance is, then I'll tell you - none. I really doubt anyone cares who holds them, which in turn means that people don't care who loses them, and in general they are useless. A half-assed female's division will reflect in a quarter-assed females tag-team division. Scrap them, please. Thank ya.

With a strong women's division, a Tag title gives talented women the respect they deserve and puts them on the same level as the men's division.

With a women's division that pushes beauty over talent and has an overabundance of women that can't run the ropes or sell a punch, a tag title gives Maffew from Botchamania more matches to put in his videos.

I recall the knockouts divison being a little more crowded when their tag titles were established. With TNA associating with AAA I suppose the ladies of lucha are who the tag belts should be defended against and maybe against New Japan gals. wcw was able to have its crusierweight tag team titles because half the roster could make weight. WCW/NWA had U.S. Tag team titles and the NWA had national tag team titles for their number two duos who were on the cusp. WCW waa huge and controlled the NWA of course and in the NWA you had thirty or so territories to defend your title in. The WWF had women tag team titles too. NJPW has its IWGP Jr. Heavyweight tag team titles. The NWA/WCW Six man tag team titles were just like MEXICO where most companies have a trios title. The redundantness was pretty must offsetted by the excitement the third wheel brought. Could you imagine all three members of the Jersey Triad or the Outsiders and Hogan sharing a title? Bret and Owen and the Anvil? Legacy? X PAC and the New Age Outlaws? JERISHOWMIZ lol

I think that Knockout tag titles can make a faction look stronger, such as Mexican America and they can give someone like Tara and Tessmacher who can't realy fit in the main title picture something to do.

They introduced the Knockout Tag Team Titles back when the Knockout division was super over and were getting some of the higher ratings segments on Impact. This was like mid 2009.

My opinion was they were tailor made for The Beautiful People (Angelina Love and Velvet Sky) whose segments were drawing high ratings, but during the tournament, Angelina Love had her visa issues.

The fact that Angelina and Velvet haven't held the titles together yet is a crime, especially now that the titles are almost pointless. :(

its there to keep other knockouts on tv and i think its a good idea. I dont know what it is about tna but when they have a knockouts match i watch...when wwe has a divas match i just wait for it to end wishing it was on dvr.

wheteher it is a Diva's match or a Knockout's match doesn't matter...you know why? BECAUSE THEY CAN'T WRESTLE...granted since Goldust took over in helping the divas it has been a little bit more barable to watch even though i usually just change the channel unless im looking for a good laugh...womens wrestling plain and simply just sucks. Their moves arent as cool or nearly as smoothly put together as the mens. It's laughable to watch a diva get tossed into rope and see the rope move about an inch, compared to watching someone like the Undertaker get sent into ropes and the ropes nearly break off of the turnbuckles because of the force...womens wrestling sucks

it was a good idea at the time to get more knockouts on television but its just turned out to be a waste of time nothings ever come out of the idea

I understand that the original idea was to get more knockouts on televsion, but unfortunately the belts are very rarely defended. I mean take Rosita and Sarita for example, they held the belts for a little over a month's time if I am not mistaken and they defended it only a handful of times. I mean there aren't even any number one contenders for these titles. They just throw together any two people and just have the titles bounce around between who ever facing the champs at the time. I feel like there is no emotional attachment to the champs and they should just scrap the belts and have all the knockouts go after the singular knockouts title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back