• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's Next For The World Heavyweight Championship Scene?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
At SummerSlam last night, Alberto Del Rio successfully defended the World Heavyweight Championship against Christian. It was a very good match, in my opinion, though the outcome was what I figured it'd be. With Del Rio dropping two non-title matches to Christian, I saw little chance of Christian coming out with the title. Now that Christian has had his "one more match", what's next for the title picture?

With Sheamus out injured for what's almost certainly the rest of 2013, that leaves the World Heavyweight Championship landscape pretty wide open. As of right now, I think the strongest list of possible feuds for Del Rio looks something like this:

CM Punk
Mark Henry
Big Show
Rob Van Dam
Dolph Ziggler
Cody Rhodes

Unless plans change, or if those supposed plans were inaccurate, Punk's feud with Brock Lesnar will be put on hold if Lesnar isn't due back for a number of months. With Bryan & Orton almost certainly in the WWE Championship picture, Punk going after the WHC is a real possibility. It might seem like it's a step down for Punk but it doesn't necessarily have to be so. It'll be easier to get a handle on things after Raw tonight, as we'll get an idea of where Punk is headed next.

The way things are looking right now, I don't think Henry or Big Show are likely to go after the title. I think that, like RVD, their feud with The Shield will continue for at least another month or two before everyone moves onto something else.

If Dolph Ziggler has finished with his feud with AJ & Big E. Langston, then it makes sense for him to move back into title contention. That is, unless WWE doesn't really want to put him back there this soon. It's a possibility, after all, that they might try to start Ziggler out fresh later on down the line.

As Cody Rhodes defeated Damien Sandow last night, I'm wondering if WWE is considering moving him up the ladder to feud with Del Rio. There's still a possibility of another match between the two and if such a match happens, I think it will be for possession of the MITB briefcase. As Cody has shaved off his mustache, it seems like he's made the full transition to babyface. Without the briefcase being on the line going forward, I see no reason to keep their feud going as Cody has proven to be "the better man" with his win last night.

RVD seems like the most logical option. They need a face who can take the belt off Del Rio and they need somebody popular enough who can have a series with Sandow and elevate and make people care about those series of matches.

Christian rematch next month for Del Rio, while RVD likely teams up with Big Show & Henry in a winner takes all match against The Shield. From there my prediction will happen...unless I'm wrong.

After the comments Alberto made after his win last night about the Latino people needing a Idol and him being the one it makes me wonder if they are setting up a return for Rey Mysterio.I just found it strange that ADR would have a post match promo and say something like that with out there being a reason.

After the comments Alberto made after his win last night about the Latino people needing a Idol and him being the one it makes me wonder if they are setting up a return for Rey Mysterio.I just found it strange that ADR would have a post match promo and say something like that with out there being a reason.

Although I'm not sure about Rey Mysterio's injury status, I was expecting his music to hit during ADR's post match speech. They have plenty of history and its a logical feud and a good way for Rey to go out on top. I just hope that they keep Rey as far away as possible from Sin Cara when he returns, their tag team was supposed to elevate Cara but instead lowered Mysterio.
If WWE doesn't go down that route I wouldn't mind seeing ADR vs. Cody Rhodes, its fresh and would be an entertaining matchup

Cody Rhodes, I suppose. Otherwise, what was the point in putting him over Damien Sandow at Summerslam otherwise?

They could go with Christian again, with him having Del Rio down for two visible 3-counts when he was fighting the cross-armbreaker, but I don't see the result changing. It's something to be addressed, at least, either tonight on Raw or Friday on Smackdown. Yes, Christian had his "one more match", but he also pinned Del Rio, and the ref was simply out of position.

Punk's not a bad option, and if there's any plan on positioning the World Title in a place on par with the WWE Title(although doubtful), Punk in a feud with Del Rio could be the way to go. Punk's banged up, however, and he usually doesn't work Smackdown's which is where the title is featured more then not.

Mark Henry and Big Show seem to just be getting started in a feud with the Shield. You could throw Van Dam in there as well, after his pre-show match with Ambrose, and their 6-man win over The Shield on Smackdown. I don't see any of the three, except Van Dam, as true possibilities, and the rumors of WWE being gun-shy of putting Van Dam into a feud at all due to his dates on his contract has me doubting he'll be in the WHC picture here and now.

Ziggler and Del Rio just happened, on back-to-back PPV's no less. I could see them revisiting the feud should Del Rio hold the title past NOC's, but right now seems too soon to go there.

That leaves Rhodes, or a left-field option, which is Bray Wyatt. If reports are true, the Wyatt family are due for a huge push, and I doubt that involves just beating Kane and random jobbers time and again. Sure, it would be a heel vs. heel match-up, but the Wyatt Family have been really well-received, and Wyatt as World Champion, while possibly too soon, might be the right call with how over his character his. I don't see it happening, but wouldn't mind it should it happen.

As for Rhodes, I think it needs to happen, doesn't it? He doesn't need to win the title, per se, but on the Smackdown side of things, he going over Sandow makes no sense if they don't plan on pushing him into the title mix. He's lost a lot of traction from his time jobbing in Rhodes Scholars, but he was put over the guy with the briefcase, and Rhodes winning the title only to be cashed in on by Sandow would make for a fun turn-of-events. Since the World Title isn't pushed as a top feud, anyways, re-visiting the two, since their match last night was good, wouldn't be the worst idea.

Christian makes sense based on what we saw last night, but so does Rhodes. Perhaps a triple threat at NOC?

Although I'm not sure about Rey Mysterio's injury status, I was expecting his music to hit during ADR's post match speech. They have plenty of history and its a logical feud and a good way for Rey to go out on top.

I expected this as well. The in-ring interview after a successful title defense used to be a nice old-school move, but this felt out of place and awkward, to be honest. When Del Rio talked about a Mexican for the Latinos to look up to, I fully expected Mysterio's music to hit. It could be "planting seeds" for a Mysterio return, but saving it for television instead.

I have to agree, Wrestlers don't normally cut Promos in the ring after a big PPV match and with him saying that latinos need a idol, could be WWE setting up the return of Ray Mysterio. and with there being a lot of history with both men, it could turn out to be quite a good feud. If its not Mysterio, then the only other guy I could see it being is Ziggler. Henry, Show and RVD look likely to feud with the Shield and while CM Punk is not likely to continue his feud with Lesner until Survivor series I still think you will see him butt heads with Hayman and I can see him turning his attention to Haymans other client Curtis Axle which would really help establish Axles place on the roster.

Mark Henry - maybe
Big Show - are you really interested in this feud?
Cody Rhodes - not ready

CM Punk - am i the only who thinks a legit top wwe guy like punk feuding for the world heavyweight title is considered a step BACKWARD? lol. Like the title hardly has any credibility anymore. Punk getting involved with the world heavyweight title does nothing beneficial for him at this stage in his career.

No punk will continue his feud with lesnar and later get involved with the main raw storyline. And their feud sucked last time so i dont wanna see it.

Dolph ziggler should have always been involved in the world title scene. Good god was he irrelevant last night. He lost all his steam and what ever little hype he had. This is the time to insert him back to the world title picture and hope he'll get over.

RVD would be nice but im not expecting a title victory from him

Dolph Ziggler is the most logical opponent, never really got his shot at the World Heavyweight Championship yet and now that the fued with AJ is over, i'd imagine he'll be going back into the WHC picture.

If not him a hope Punk to try and save a sinking ship.

They won't use RVD as he's allowed a hiatus after 90 dates, he's already used a good third of that so any run at the moment would be a waste Zig will end up part of the Bryan/Orton feud - they'll need a partner for him with Cena on the shelf and Zig is another guy "being held back" by Trips and Orton...

I can think of 3 possible options:-

Cody - He's alluded to something "Must See" today and I think he is getting the nod for his push, Sandow can always cash in on him later to re-ignite their feud. Cody could get some good momentum by challenging ADR right off this big win (and it was a massive win for him) and he is just about over enough to make it stick if it's done as a "holy shit" type moment... if the match is amazing, then Cody has a shot at making it stick.

Drew McIntyre - What actually happened isn't clear yet but something did... they can use this to elevate Drew very quickly... If they fought legit, use that, have Drew come out and challenge ADR on the virtue that he kicked ADR's ass... Throw in a jibe about how he could have done that to his ex but took it out on ADR and you have an instant pop. Alternatively, if Drew did indeed help ADR out then have ADR offer him something in return for helping him, one of his cars etc... Drew says he wants the title shot at Night Of Champions and tears ADR a new one... either way Drew is suddenly relevant again - add ADR hiring 3mb to stop him and you have a strong feud.

Wade Barrett: He's scored some big wins recently and seems to be getting some groove back... Wade reveals he was behind ADR's beatdown and he could always get others to follow his lead and it's time to take things into his own hands rather than wait for his turn. Have Wade be the "face" of the situation to test the waters if he can run with a face turn, which I think is the key to him getting into a higher position.

The Miz... It's simple really, when it comes down to it The Miz is a former WWE Champion and is one that can truly go in the ring. He's got a nice following to get behind him, and the big gold would be a nice wedding present. Plus, the guy's been in the dog house long enough. It's time to bring him back up to the main event, give him the strap, and let him be the face of Smackdown. I mean Sheamus is hurt, Orton's on Raw, Bryan's on Raw, Punk's on Raw, Ziggler's busy, and RVD/Henry/Show are feuding with the Shield. I don't see a reason why NOT to push Miz. I mean even if the title change is to set Sandow or even Ryback up for a reign, then so be it.

The promo last night was that of a villain who sees himself as a hero, especially to a group of people with the same nationality as him. Who better to come back and feud with him then the man who popularized the lucha libre style in the USA and the hero to Mexicans everywhere; Rey Mysterio. The true hero trying to rise again against the man who claims that he himself is now the hero. Good story.

Or, you could go the route of many different contenders. Rob Van Dam, Christian, Cody Rhodes, and Dolph Ziggler. You could even use The Real Americans in this situation (particularly Antonio Cesaro).

I prefer the 1st story. It leads to a return for Rey, potential for a good-great storyline, and if Rey falls short, a new hero to take his mantle (crossing fingers for Samuray del Sol).

The promo last night was that of a villain who sees himself as a hero, especially to a group of people with the same nationality as him. Who better to come back and feud with him then the man who popularized the lucha libre style in the USA and the hero to Mexicans everywhere; Rey Mysterio. The true hero trying to rise again against the man who claims that he himself is now the hero. Good story.

Or, you could go the route of many different contenders. Rob Van Dam, Christian, Cody Rhodes, and Dolph Ziggler. You could even use The Real Americans in this situation (particularly Antonio Cesaro).

I prefer the 1st story. It leads to a return for Rey, potential for a good-great storyline, and if Rey falls short, a new hero to take his mantle (crossing fingers for Samuray del Sol).

That was actually on my mind, and with WWE being close to San Diego tonight it would be a great way to make a comeback. And personally I could use a Mysterio reign before he retires. The guy deserves it and has worked his ass off for a long time to get there. Plus, it would be a great face to Smackdown while Sheamus is out.

But my problem with that is that Miz has been treated like shit for the past two years all due to that actor in Hollywood that wanted to play wrestler. I think it's time for WWE to rebuild Miz as a Hollywood favorite and put the World title on him. At the very least, they've got a new guy there and it'll put a few butts in seats.

I don't want to bore you to death with my "thoughts" but at this moment I would be really pleased if WWE brought back the "Championship Scramble" match up. I've got to admit that I find the "idea" fun and since Del Rio has a lot of contenders, it would be easy to find the guys that could be put in here.

I'm sure you all remember the Championship Scramble stipulation: The match starts with two superstars and every 5 minutes a new superstar comes out and then when all five superstars are in the ring. Each time a wrestler scores a pinfall or submission they become the interim or unofficial champion, and such reigns are not recorded as official reigns. Five minutes after the final wrestler enters, the wrestler that scores the last pinfall or submission is declared the winner and becomes the official champion.

We only need to find 4 suitable opponents for the championship, and it would be very easy to do it. We could pretty much put CM Punk in this hunt with a guy like Ryback. Christian could have his second shot and we could easily integrate Cody Rhodes in here. If WWE wants to use CM Punk in a singles match with Ryback, I'm sure that Dolph Ziggler and Big E. Langston would be suitable replacements. The concept is fresh, it can create good moments like CM Punk being taken out before defending it or the one that Jericho won out of nowhere.

If WWE doesn't want to follow that route, I'll be satisfied with a Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio with a stipulation - like being Christian's last chance to gold in his career. Also, Big E. Langston does have pinfall victories over Del Rio and that can be brought back easily if they decide to give Dolph Ziggler his redemption. I'm excited for the World Championship scenario, a lot of different routes.

I like Nolan's idea of a championship scramble. There are plenty of options and it would guarantee a great match and an interesting month or two for the belt. Something like, Del Rio, Ziggler, RVD and two from Ryback/Barrett/Fandango/Christian would be appealing and a good use of talent.

The Rey Mysterio option is interesting. I have no idea what the latest is but he could have they could pair the two simply because of their history and Rey's popularity.

My preference is one of these two options: 1) Let Sandow cash in and have face Del Rio on a Raw before entering a feud with Rhodes or a multi-man match at a PPV.

2) Give CM Punk the belt and let him make the belt interesting and meaningful. Del Rio isn't working as the champ and I think giving the belt to Punk gives the WWE better options.

I don't see it being Rey Mysterio to challenge Del Rio next I think Mysterio is on the verge of returning but I see him going down a different path towards Ryback. I feel that with the way wwe is booking Ryback to beat up on the little guys Rey would be the little guy to fight him off and being the hero as for Del Rio I think he ends up dropping the title to Cody only to have Sandow cash in mitb on him

Im going to go with what a few others have said. I would like personally, to see it be Cody Rhodes. He may not be "there"...yet. But it would be neat to see him chase the champion. All the while, continuing his hatred for Sandow. If cody were to win, then sandow can cash in and its adds more fuel to the fire .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back