• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Would You Do: A Minor Asked You To Buy Them Liquor?

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
My first thread in my new series got some pretty good responses and I’ve decide to continue it by making a second thread. I hope that this series gains some success. I also want to thank all of the posters who posted in the other thread.

Anyways, this scenario is a more interesting one I think and it will probably gain more responses. The scenario is: What Would You Do: A Minor Asked You To Buy Them Liquor?

Obviously, I’d have to put myself in the position of an adult since I am a minor myself. Honestly, if I was an adult and someone asked me to buy them liquor then I wouldn’t do it, even if the minor person offered me money.

If it’s illegal for them to drink or buy liquor…then it’s illegal. I’m not going to do something illegal just so that they are able to have a good time if those are their intentions. Also, I could get in trouble if anyone finds out I bought liquor for a minor. I’d rather not take any risks like that.

What would you do?

No chance in hell! With my current situation, being military, doing something illegal is not an option. Sure it's bad in the public eye, but since I have to follow a secondary set of laws in the UCMJ along with all federal laws, I'd probably piss the minor off by lecturing them or just walk away without giving them an answer.

I mean not only my career, but my rank and my security clearance would all be riding on this and being married I have a wife to support, so there is of course no way I'm going to risk my Air Force career just so some kid can have a good time. My family comes first and I don't want to be "that guy" who has to stand in front of his commander and first sergeant in full service dress uniform and explain to them why I bought a minor some liquor while awaiting for said commander to rip my stripes right off my sleeve.

Just not gonna happen.

It depends, I buy my friends alcohol, but I know they aren't going to do something stupid. But I wouldn't buy for a complete stranger because who knows what happens after they leave your sight? I sure as hell don't. But another thing, I won't buy for someone if they are going to a party. Because parties tend to be loud and cops can be called, and when underage people are drinking they usually get asked who supplied it. More than likely they're going to tell on you just to save there ass. Even though that usually isn't the case. So, if they're going home to drink some beer or some liquor, I do not see a problem. But it all depends on who you're buying for.

I say no, and I always have said no. Even to my friends I say no. They tend to do very very stupid things when they are drunk, and I'm not a big drinker, so why am I going to help them out like that? I also would never buy liquor for a random stranger, although, where I live, quite a few people try to get strangers to buy liquor for them. My friends used to use a friend of a friend to get theirs. So all around my answer is no, I will not buy liquor for minors.

This isn't something that I have to think what WOULD i do, It's something that i DID do. I have been asked by a minor to get them some booze prob about 10 times. I'm 27 now and have a job/career that pays the mortgage for my condo, pays my car payments, and when the day come when I have children it will put them through college. I don't want to risk all that just to buy some kid booze. But sometimes I'm stupid.

Two Fridays ago I went to go get some beer and when I came out this kid asked me to get him stuff. He wasn't that young prob 19-20 but still underage, and in Jersey we have a ABC ( Alcoholic Beverage Control ) Board and they do have undercover officers going around to the bars and liquor stores posing as underage kids. I thought about that for a minute than said ahh, F it. I asked what he wanted, he told me, gave me money, I told him to walk down the block, he offered to buy whatever I wanted, and he prob had a great night.

I've only bought booze for minors prob 3 times. I get asked every now and then but I always tell them that I don't have time or whatever.

Even thought I know it's illegal and I'm risking so much my answer is: YES, I would buy a minor alcohol, depending on my mood. When I was younger I have done the same thing, sometimes I got and sometime I didn't. Although it's illegal I know how it is when you aren't 21. And who knows they might have some HS girls with him that I wanna bang.

Definitely a big no to that question. I wasn't arrested but several guys of age were arrested for drinking beers with me and my underage friends years ago. They didn't even buy the alcohol for us, but they were put in jail. I think that most kids would be rats too. As soon as they get in trouble, not all but some would fess up and tell the police where they got the booze from.

To be honest, hypothetically I don't want to be responsible for a teenager getting killed or raped due to drunk driving or from alcohol intoxication.

Eh, it honestly all depends. An 18/19 year-old kid once approached me in the grocery store while I was in college, and, although I was hesitant, I bought him a six-pack. That's the only time I ever bought beer for a stranger. And, it was pretty much the custom in my fraternity that all the older guys bought for the younger guys.

I would probably not buy for someone that I didn't know now, but, I don't see a problem getting alcohol for someone that I do know; acquaintances of mine did it for me when I was younger, so I might as well pay the favor forward now.

Not a hard one at all. Nope. Wouldn't do it and have said "no" to requests in the past. I don't buy alcohol for myself --straightedge-- so my money certainly isn't going towards buying it for someone else.

Must be a much bigger deal in America than the UK. If somebody asked me to buy them booze I'd say no, sure, but I wouldn't be faced with some massive moral dilemma. Nor would I really be in any trouble if I did buy them booze.

I know when I was too young to drink, other people - including my parents - would buy me liquor.

Not gonna happen. I've been approached to buy both cigarettes and alcohol, often from kids who probably have no pubic hair yet.

You also take the risk of being entrapped, because you never know if someone's an undercover.

Here's my philosophy when I'm outside. Don't talk to me. If I don't know you, don't approach me and ask me anything. I don't give out cigarettes or money, and I don't want any fliers or free newspapers.

Back to the subject at hand. You could also be contributing to the injury or death of someone else by buying a kid alcohol. You don't know if he's going to go out driving, or who else he's going to give it to. I just say that I can't do it, and walk away. If the person keeps bothering me, then I just end up in jail for assault.

Good topics, BTW.

I don't buy alcohol for minors and I never will. It has nothing to do with a big moral question or anything like that. I simply don't want to be accountable in any way for what they do with the when they're all liquoured up. Kids are dumb. Alcohol makes people do dumb things. Kids + alcohol? If you're asking me, it's a recipe for disaster.

Fact of the matter is I don't buy alcohol for anyone. If I'm on a date and my lady wants wine, it's her responsibility to buy it for herself and she's aware of this ahead of time.. Frankly, alcohol can lead to some pretty questionable stuff. We could get our naughty on, she might get in an accident on the drive home, she might walk in front of a bus... I'm not going to be responsible for ANYONE getting alcohol and the consequences it will cause, child or not. It's too dicey for my blood.

I wouldn't. Id just say I havent got my ID. I bleive I have once, but that was for a friend I think in the past. Its not really a good thing to do mind.

No I would not. Minor's should not be drinking. Period. Who knows what their going to do with the liquor. My conscious would be flipping out because there are so many "what if's" that can possibly happen. Who knows maybe they could drink the six pack, and go wandering outside and into the road. Boom hit by a car, and possibly dead. This is the kind of things that would be running through my mind the entire day if I bought a minor alcohol. It's illegal and that's that. Why even take the risk of getting busted just so they can possibly have a good time?

I would never be responsible for a stranger in that way - who knows what they're going to do with the alcohol after they've left me? There is a such thing as drinking responsibly, but somehow that doesn't seem to match up with a person who approaches a stranger to ask them to buy alcohol. I don't think I've bought anyone alcohol since I turned 18 actually. I would, if I was having a few friends to my house, and they were still 17. But, as a lot of people have said, I'd feel too responsible if something bad happened as a result of the alcohol I'd bought.

Lol I have to laugh at some of the shit I'm reading in here. "Minors shouldn't be drinking! Its illegal!"...did you guys graduate from the prude square university or something? You sound like a couple of 1950s parents trying to outlaw rock and roll.

Kids drink. I drank, and as TDigs brought up, it wouldn't exactly be fair for me to not pass the favor along now that I'm old enough to buy booze myself. I have a few friends who are underage and I have no problem getting them booze, usually because we're drinking together. If some random kid walked up to me, nah, I probably wouldn't buy him booze because I don't know him, but people I do know I have zero problem with. It's alcohol, not an M-16. If some 18 year old kid can go and die in the army for our country, he sure as fuck should be able to drink a beer. Mature enough to die for your country, but not mature enough to drink? Bullshit.

Would my younger brother using my expired passport count? Because technically he's still getting me (or atleast my identity) to buy alcohol.

I wouldnt just buy an underage stranger alcohol though. mainly because I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a chav (and underage kids asking complete strangers are stereotypically chavs) anything. Though I have had a few laughs due to them asking me to buy them cigarettes while I was still underage though.

It's alcohol, not an M-16. If some 18 year old kid can go and die in the army for our country, he sure as fuck should be able to drink a beer. Mature enough to die for your country, but not mature enough to drink? Bullshit.

Well you know XFear; it's been rumored that in the past the Army would allow all members to drink, regardless of age, as long as it was on post. Which to be honest doesn't make any sense since our UCMJ has about three different articles about being drunk on station.

And it's not about not being mature enough to die for our country but not being mature enough to drink; it's that we're supposed to be held to a higher standard. We are supposed to be the ambassadors for America when we are out of the country, or even in our country, and we need not make ourselves look like assholes. Unfortunately it's not like that at all; a lot of us still partake in a bit too much of the sauce and still portray the military in a negative light. It’s part of the reason why there are still protests for us to leave here in Korea and in Japan.

And some countries have legal drinking ages that are lower than ours, like here in Korea its 20, so we can drink off base but not on base.

I’ve heard the statement of we can die for our country at 18 but not drink until we’re 21 more than you can imagine, a lot of the new airmen that come in mention it. And it all just really boils down to what I just said, that and the mission readiness. Does it suck? Sure at times I suppose it could, but for the military I don’t think that drinking at any time is that important of a thing to take part in, as we are always on call, and if you’re standing next to me, drunk as fuck holding an M16A2, I’m sorry, we might be buds, but I’m going to knock you out, drag you away from the fight to a safe place, and take all of your ammo and then I’m going to yell at the moron in the armory that gave you a weapon.

Of course I'm not talking about drinking on-duty or when you're going into combat falcon, but just the concept that you can sign up to fight in a war at the age of eighteen, but cannot walk down the street and get a beer, is absurd. Either change the enlistment age to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18.

But you see XFear, when you enlist, you are on duty 24/7/365. At any time we can be called in from any location we may be at. I could be on leave in Hawaii, my commander could cancel my leave (returning to me any unused days mind you) and I would have about 24 hours to report in.

I know that you weren't exactly talking about drinking while on duty, of which we are permitted one while on duty and in uniform, and going to combat, but most people don't realize that being in the military isn't just a job but a lifestyle. Until the day you get out they own you and they must have a way to contact you at all times in case you're needed, and with that in mind, we are supposed to be ready to deploy or as the slogan goes "Fit to Fight" at all times.

I get what you're saying, but you're people, not machines. You have to sleep at some time, right? You can't be "Fit to Fight" 24/7/365, that's simply impossible to ask of any human being, humans need sleep, they need food, water, and occasionally they need to have some fun. But this is really going off-topic.

I was simply bringing up the point that our government thinks that an 18 year old is mature enough to handle going to war, but not mature enough to drink a beer. Which is a ridiculous thought process to say the least.

Last post since I did bring this off topic and I don't want to get into trouble for it. But as a human being I agree completely with you, it is absurd and anyone willing to lay down their lives for our country should be allowed to drink, yet as an NCO I have to disagree as I see why it's really there and who it protects.

And when you're over yonder, a lot of the times you find that the only time you have between shifts is to get just enough sleep and to eat just enough food to get you through the next shift so that you can turn around and do it all over it. Having fun isn't the last thing on the mind, it's the first but you just don't have the time or the energy to do it.

Just so DYK for ya, the military is only required to give us 30 minutes for meals and is only required to give us about 6 hours of sleep between shifts.

So now I apologize for bring this off topic, it was however fun while it lasted. Thanks for the chat XFear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back