• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What would you change about Tough Enough?

The Wolf

Pre-Show Stalwart
The title says it all.

Tough failed once before so what changes can be made to make it work this time around?

I would bring parts of another show in Hulk Hogan use to have a show on CMT Celebrity Championship Wrestling where he had celebrities divide into 2 teams and every week they had a new challenge and closed every show with matches between the teams. After each "event" they were giving the pros and cons of their matches and then one one them was sent home. I say used that idea with one twist have the fans vote during RAW on who should go home the following weak.

The reason I say this is because one of the challenges is to create a character gimmick and if we dont like it the WWE would be wasting money on them also if we can't get into their matches same result.

The key is the fans I believe. Who agrees, disagrees suggestions.

Hmm loaded question, because I was/am a big fan of the original show.

I think the really key components to having it be a worthwhile weekly show, is to keep it interesting, but still keep it focused on the wrestling and getting to know the contestants WITHOUT getting overly dramatic, or turning in to some sob story. Because I will go ahead and tell you right now 100% guaranteed, we're gonna get:

1. "This is my dream since I was a little kid, and I sold everything I had to get the plane ticket to come here"
2. "My (insert here) is dying, and my greatest wish is they can see me succeed before they pass" or alternatively
3. "My (just passed away) always believed in me and I have to do this to make them proud"
4. "I'm a single parent, and blah blah blah"

you get the idea. I'm not trying to sound heartless by any means, but reality shows and especially competition based ones, seem to use these tactics over and over as a cheap ploy to make relatable characters, and in this case I think it may be better served to leave that out, and the reason is this:

Using season 1 as an example, you have Chris Nowinski and Maven. Maven's mother has cancer and he leaves the show to go visit her, only to return to training. This does several things, shows his dedication to WWE, shows he's a good person, etc. Then we have Chris on the other hand, who because he is highly educated and has the real life "silver spoon" gimmick happening, we are naturally led to believe he's a heel character, probably an arrogant ass, etc. Here's the thing though...we don't really know either of them, but we are the one's determining who gets hired!

So you end up with fans voting more based on their personal feelings about a potential wrestler, then who may actually make the best wrestler. You can see how this likely effected the careers of previous season runner-ups.

Outside of ditching the melodrama, my only other feeling is to keep the show interesting and themed. If there's 10 episodes, try and focus each one on a specific aspect.
1. Introductions/casting
2. taking bumps/getting to know each other
3. cutting a promo/meeting a WWE Superstar who gives them promo advice
4. learning how to pace a match/have a vet like Jake Roberts come talk about ring psychology

etc. you get the idea. Just so it doesn't get stale, and really serves it purpose, which in my estimation is to provide an inside view of what it takes to become a successful WWE wrestler.

I don't think they rely failed. They had 3 seasons, and MTV decided not to pick it up. That is a decent run on basic cable, and MTV isn't big on wrestling anyway. They couldn't do a full run of WSX before canceling it.

I'd like to see the old trainers, Al Snow, Bob Holly, Chavo, and Tazz. But there is not a snow ball chance in hell for Snow or Tazz, since they are both in TNA. I think would be a good spot of HBK to do something with WWE. Who else do you think would be a good trainers, that folks won't miss being gone for 2-3 weeks while taping the show?

I think HBK being a trainer is an awesome idea... He did just sign a new contract with WWE to do "Backstage stuff" so it would be great if he was a part of the show... It would help with the ratings too if they had a big name like HBK as a trainer...

The only other people I heard of that will likely be a part of the show is Sean Morely and maybe Norman Smiley... Smiley is a trainer in FCW and Morely was just recently hired back...

I can't wait for the show...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back