What Would Nexus Have Been Like if Wade Barrett Hadn't Won NXT?

Jessie Lynn DivaGirl

Future Mrs. Gabriel ;)
I've been mulling this over for a while and I apologize if it's been done already. Now, we all know how sucessful Nexus was with Wade Barrett in charge but what if he hadn't won NXT? Would it have been better, worse? Would it have lasted longer? Would CM Punk even been ALLOWED in it? So my question is:

What would Nexus have been like if Otunga or Gabriel had won NXT instead?

The reason I say Otunga or Gabriel is because these three were the best in NXT (DBD just plain sucked there) and were the top three at the end.

Discuss

First off, Daniel Bryan didn't suck there. He had better promos in his short span there than he's had since coming to the main roster.

I think with Bryan in charge Nexus would have been just as good. Bryan has really good mic skills as a heel, and he has the history behind him that would have made him a credible leader.

I also think Otunga could have worked as the leader. He has decent mic skills, and has leadership qualities. I think he can be a very good manager on Raw until he gets better in the ring. I think if Otunga would have been the leader, there would have been tension between him and Barrett still, but in this scenario it would have lead to a split. Probably would have been a better ending then what actually happened to Nexus.

As for Gabriel, while I am a big fan of his, I don't think he could have carried the group on the mic like Wade did. Gabriel just simply doesn't have the stick skills to get a group over.

Now, we all know how sucessful Nexus was with Wade Barrett in charge but what if he hadn't won NXT? Would it have been better, worse? Would it have lasted longer?
I don't think the Nexus would have existed if Wade Barrett wouldn't have won. He was the only natural leader of the group, and I believe the Nexus was thought-up after, or very near the very end of the competition. Honestly, Barrett deserved to win NXT, and I can't imagine the idea coming across had somebody like Justin Gabriel won. Can you imagine Wade Barrett standing on the sidelines as another took control of Raw? Doubt it...

Would CM Punk even been ALLOWED in it?
Different Nexus...so a very invalid question.

The reason I say Otunga or Gabriel is because these three were the best in NXT (DBD just plain sucked there)
Daniel Bryan did not suck in NXT. He was booked to lose every single match, and that wasn't his fault, plain and simple. He still wrestled better than anybody in the competition, despite all the cards being stacked against him. You can't blame a wrestler for the decisions creative and management make against him. You simply have to look past the wins and losses, and see how he handles it all. Given the circumstances, I think he was actually one of the better performers in NXT.

Okay, before I get more "Bryan didn't suck" complaints I'll restate my meaning: Bryan shouldn't have even BEEN there in the first place. He should've been up in the WWE already instead of being underbooked down there. They shoula replaced him with friggen Jonny Curtis for crying out loud.

I really don't think it would have been as great if Barrett never won. Barrett was a natural leader for the group. Otunga, while having good mic skills, isn't a believable leader for the group.
Gabriel, while being forking awesome in the ring, just wouldn't have made a great leader for the group. For a while, besides Gabriel, Slater, and Otunga, Barrett WAS the Nexus.

Okay, before I get more "Bryan didn't suck" complaints I'll restate my meaning: Bryan shouldn't have even BEEN there in the first place. He should've been up in the WWE already instead of being underbooked down there. They shoula replaced him with friggen Jonny Curtis for crying out loud.

WWE actually wanted to bring Daniel Bryan immediately into the main roster when they snagged him from Ring of Honor. They had extremely high hopes for him and wanted to use him right away. Bryan actually asked to be sent to FCW to adjust to the WWE style, coming from a very intensive indie scene. He was only there for a month or two before WWE got the brilliant idea for NXT and brought up all their decent talents at the time. I remember some of the FCW fans freaking out because almost all their higher up guys just vanished at the same time.

That's not really re-stating your meaning, those are two completely different things. Whatever, not really the point of the thread...

I really don't think it would have been as great if Barrett never won. Barrett was a natural leader for the group. Otunga, while having good mic skills, isn't a believable leader for the group.
Gabriel, while being forking awesome in the ring, just wouldn't have made a great leader for the group. For a while, besides Gabriel, Slater, and Otunga, Barrett WAS the Nexus.

Otunga does not have good mic skills...at all. And his Harvard character is so painfully awful people don't even know how to react when he's on screen...and since he never wrestles anymore, his character and career are nice and slowly going down the drain while WWE tries to inexplicably force him down our throats with JL every week since they don't know what else to do with him....and why don't they know what else to do with him? Because he has horrible mic skills.

How does that relate to the topic? Easy...Wade Barrett is a gem and should be the top heel in WWE right now still. He can draw so much more real heat than ADR or....is there even another top, credible heel in the company anymore? Please don't say Mark Henry. The Nexus would've been nothing without him...if anything, the Nexus would've needed a vocal mouthpiece to get it off the ground who was involved with the season, someone like Jericho.

David Otunga has good mic skills...lol...funniest thing I've read all week.

people actively hate wade barrett to such an extent I can't see how anyone could even consider any other talent on the roster being the number one heel. It was evident as soon as the nexus arrived that he had it as without the space of a few months he had people seething whenever he got one up over anyone. And no matter how good he is and how much even the smart fans like him, its just so easy to boo him. Himself, Henry, Cody & Ziggler are doing good in the WWE atm on the heel side of things.

The Nexus would have been awful without him.

I think the only other person that could have been leader of the group would have been Daniel Bryan. Although, I don't think he would have been as great as Barrett was because Barrett seems more effective as a leader. I see DBD as too much of a nice guy right now to be a heel (like Mysterio) but you never know. It would have been interesting , the angle could have been that everyone in the Nexus had the talent to be on the main roster, yet it took them months/years to be called up? I dont know, just a thought.

Wade Barrett was the perfect choice to lead nexus. He has that heelish look, with the slick black hair, angry face and rough accent. Nexus was like any ordinary group of villains...
Darren Young was the weak link
Heath Slater was the "pretty boy" of the group
Sheffield and Tarver were the big guys you didn't want to mess with
Daniel Bryan was the "nice one" if you want to count him
Gabriel was treated as Barretts right hand man
Otunga was that one guy who was jealous and disagreed with him more often than the others.

Nexus was the perfect group. Shame that WWE had to break them up one by one and replace them. Could have been, should have been a great wrestlemania angle.

It was clear that Barrett was going to be the leader/winner from the moment he was paired with Jericho, who was the champion at the time and in the middle of his biggest push.

Nexus as a concept worked cos they had Barrett as the leader, because here was a guy who was a "rookie" but was clearly better than a lot of the guys on the roster in the ring as well as on the mic, he had the aura of someone who could convince the other NXT guys to work for him against the system without an established player at the helm.... No stable before had been so dominant without a veteran involved.

Bryan doesn't have that manipulative charisma, he is a more straight ahead type.

What would have the Nexus have been? Nothing at all, the creative team would have never put anyone of those rookies in charge except for Barrett. As much as I dislike him (post Nexus) he was a great leader for the group and no one else could have lead them. Anyone can lead an attack like the initial attack on the Viewer's choice Raw, but only few can lead verbally. Barrett had the mic skills to get such a group over, none of the other 7 had even a close resemblance to what Wade brought to the mic. Without him, Nexus would not have existed period, all of them were capable of attacking brutally, but only one of them was capable of getting the crowd to care about them using a microphone.

It was clear that Barrett was going to be the leader/winner from the moment he was paired with Jericho, who was the champion at the time and in the middle of his biggest push.

Not so. The pros legitimately picked the winner of NXT1, and for the most part the rookies were for the most part paired up with pros that suited them. It was obvious from week one however that it was a two horse race between Barrett and Bryan because it was pretty damn clear that they were the best.

Bryan with Miz (Bryan had the ring work but not the personality to go with it. Miz had the opposite. Who better to help DB learn the importance of personality), Gabriel with Matt Hardy (Who better to help the good looking high flier get over than a Hardy Boy?), Sheffield with Regal (big hulking hoss with plenty of charisma pared with someone who can teach him the finer points of working beyond killing bitches with power moves), Young with Punk (the party animal with the Straight Edge cult leader), Slater with Christian (OMRB Heath Slater was pretty much cut from the same cloth as E+C), Otunga with Truth (The Harvard garaduate with the street smart rapper) and Barrett with Jericho (Someone who could help Wade bring his game to the next level in the ring and on the mic). Tarver's the only one who I can't really fathom why he was given the pro he was.

And in most of the cases the pros really were helping their rookies. For example, Gabriel and Hardy went over tapes together, and Jericho's the first guy Wade talks to when he's got an issue about wrestling.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3559594 said:
WWE actually wanted to bring Daniel Bryan immediately into the main roster when they snagged him from Ring of Honor. They had extremely high hopes for him and wanted to use him right away. Bryan actually asked to be sent to FCW to adjust to the WWE style, coming from a very intensive indie scene. He was only there for a month or two before WWE got the brilliant idea for NXT and brought up all their decent talents at the time. I remember some of the FCW fans freaking out because almost all their higher up guys just vanished at the same time.

Not quite true there. NXT season 1 called up the cream of the crop in FCW, but it didn't get all their decent tallent called up until NXT season 2. Losing Riley, Kaval, McGillicutty (he might be shit, but he was one of the better in ring guys down there) and Harris was a big blow and led to the absolute worst I've seen FCW be during the time I've been watching (the show revolved around Abraham Washington and Byron Saxton with Mason Ryan as FCW champion feuding with Johnny Curtis). That's what led to Season 3 being what it was because there were simply not enough guys ready for TV down there.

As for what Nexus would have been if Barrett hadn't won NXT, simply put it wouldn't have been. Firstly because I remember reading that Barrett was the person who came up with the idea. The other rookies didn't know a damn thing until the day they did it. But also because nobody on that show apart from him could have carried the stable. Gabriel doesn't have the charisma to pull off the role, but made for a perfect number 2 for Barrett; Otunga ultimately lacks the presence and ring skills to be a believeable leader, but just the right amount of slime to be a great Starscream; Slater is too bland to be a leader, but since he's very safe and sells well he was a good fall guy; Sheffield was a charismatic beast, but like Batista in Evolution he was simply a better fit for the powerhouse role than the leader; Young wouldn't have worked because simply put he was the weak link in the group; Tarver could cut a promo, but he again lacks Barrett's presence and ring skills (ask Greg Iron how safe he is in the ring) but was a perfect fall guy who could be intimidating when he needed to be; Danny Bryan was ultimately the only other person who could have done the job as leader, but his skills and characrter at the time means it's unlikely that he'd have got that role. Bryan's strength is is ring work and his goal was to work his way up the ladder and main event 'Mania. As leader of a heel stable he'd have been avoiding conflict with the top guys at all costs (because cowards get more heat) and taking shortcuts to the top, which plays to his weaknesses. If he'd won NXT he'd have gone solo, probably after Miz in revenge for his mistreatment on NXT and work his way up from there. Meanwhile, the other rookies would have gotten pissed off and invaded Raw so that all of them could get contracts because damnit they don't want to lose the chance to work in WWE.

The much more interesting question would be what would have happened if Daniel Bryan hadn't gotten his ass fired in the first week.

Awesome topic.

Nexus would have been very different if Barrett had not been in charge. The leader of a heel mega-stable like Nexus who are there to make a huge impact needs to be able to back up his words in the ring and be able to generate heel heat in promos. Otunga would have done an excellent job as a heel faction leader in terms of promos. He'd have been stuck getting his enforcers to do his work for him all the time though, as we all know he is less than perfect in the ring. Gabriel has his 450 and did a lot of Nexus' damage. However he isn't that gifted on the mic. He would not have done well as a leader in my opinion. WWE made the right choice with Wade Barrett because he is great on the mic and at the time was good enough to get by in the ring. He's improved some since then and has shown the most success (disregarding Bryan) out of anyone who was in the Nexus stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back