• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Was Sadder?

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I'm watching Rocky IV (quite possibly the best of the series), and it just passed the part where Apollo dies/is killed by Drago. I want to know, which moment do you think is sadder: Apollo Creed dying, or Mickey dying?

I think for Rocky, and for the series, Mickey dying is a bigger deal. He was the heart and soul of Rocky's matches, and was possibly the second best character in the series. But, as far as which moment was sadder, I'm forced to think Apollo dying. It was filmed better, and done better. Watching any boxing movie, everyone knows that the worst thing that can happen, is serious injury, or death. To see Apollo fighting his "one last fight", fighting for his own pride, as well as his country's and falling to the huge Soviet giant, was heart-wrenching. It also set up what was probably the best fight of Rocky's career.

Today, I don't find either scenes sad, but back when I was a kid... the Mickey death meant more to me than the Apollo one.

Apollo's death only served as a way for us to hate Drago, nothing more. Rocky doesn't even get that sad over it; he just stares Drago down after it happens, lol. How is that supposed to move me? It just makes me want to see the upcoming fight between Rocky and Drago.

But the Mickey death, that killed Rocky, thus killing the viewer, too. He didn't even care he just got his ass beatdown; all he was worried about was Mickey. And if you ask me, that was perhaps Stallone's greatest acting ever in that scene as well.

Mickey dying, even though Apollo was my favourite character I thought that Rocky IV was so shit that I didnt even care, like jmt said, it just served as a way for us to hate Drago more. Only I didnt hate Drago, I just didnt care.

Rocky 3 was for me the last good one in the series, after all, the Rocky movies in my opinion were just as much about the rivalry between him and Apollo as they were anything else, which is why they had the fight at the end, where your not sure who won. So in that respect, I saw the death of Apollo as just silly.

Mickey on the other hand was done well, him dying a completely needless death like he did which then served to help cost Rocky the match set up well for the finale, where Rocky was fighting for his title and to avenge his manager, Rocky IV felt like a completely cheap and needless rip off of that.

I think Mickey dying, although I do agree that Apollo dying was filmed better.
When Mickey died I wanted to kill Clubber Lang.
I was actually happy when Adrian died. I never liked her, she held Rocky back, always telling him he can't win, and then when he does she win she never got real excited. Your husband just when from collecting cash for loan sharks to the heavyweight champion of the world and all you can do is a golf clap and say "yeah". Bitch deserved cancer.

This is just not even a question. Yes, Apollo and Rocky came to be friends and Rocky respected Apollo, blah, blah, blah. But MIckey was Rocky's heart and soul. Mickey was the guy who pushed Rocky to be great (it surely wasn't his bitch of a wife, Adrianne). Mickey made Rocky. I still shed a small tear whenever I watch Mickey in his last moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back