What was Martin Luther King's take on homosexuality?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
With today being Martin Luther King day, combined with the heavy discussion on the forum lately regarding homosexuality, I thought it only appropriate to attempt to uncover the thoughts of the man himself regarding the topic.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/16/what-did-mlk-think-about-gay-people/?hpt=hp_c1

The Reverend used to write advice columns for Ebony regarding ethics, morality, and faith, amongst other topics. The following is an excerpt from a letter written to the famous Reverend from an anonymous teenage boy in 1958:

“I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do?”

The key word I see here in this letter is ought. Not in the sense that the boy felt what he was feeling was wrong, but that this was something that was ingrained in him from an early age. Obviously this is up for interpretation, but the fact that he didn't want to tell his parents tells me he had been taught the "rights" and "wrongs" of homosexuality by his parents, with his parents obviously believing it to be wrong. With homosexuality being much less accepted in the 1950's then it is now, it's no wonder that he felt shame about his genetic disposition, and about telling his parents as well. But how did Martin luther King respond?

Your problem isn't uncommon, but requires careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.

Again, this is open to interpretation, at least in my eyes. When he spoke about problems, solutions, and a desire to solve it, he could be referring to the fear the boy has with regards to his parents finding out, and finding a way to "come out."

However, the part that isn't open to interpretation is King's discussion of innate tendencies, and culturally acquired behavior. It's apparent King is describing homosexuality as a choice, one even breeded by the culture one grew up in perhaps. It is important to note that King never outright called homosexuality a sin, but did describe it as a problem. I'll leave that up to you to decide what he was saying here.

The last thing one would think to discuss on MLK day is homosexuality. In fact, this is King's only known comments regarding the subject. King spoke frequently regarding equal rights for all, and his dreams regarding it. One has to wonder if his talk of poverty, war, and civil rights that revolved around equality involved homosexuals as well. Dr. King's widow was an avid supporter of gay rights, however, and the following reflects her beliefs on her husband's views:

"Everyone who believed in her husband’s dream should make room at the table of brother and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people. If Dr. King were anti-gay, there would likely be a sermon, a speech, a recording of some kind indicating such. And knowing how closely his phones were tapped(by the FBI); surely there would be a record of such statements.”

However, Dr. King's daughter, Reverend Bernice King, has lead several marches against gay and lesbian rights, and said the following about her father:

My father did not take a bullet for same-sex marriage.

With little to go on other then King's one letter in Ebony, his wife's support of gay rights, and his daughters comments, it's impossible to truly know Dr. King's true beliefs on homosexuality. One of King's closest advisors, Bayard Rustin, widely believed to be the brains behind the "I Have a Dream" speech, was openly gay. But while Rustin began a public campaign himself advocating gay and lesbian rights, King refused to speak out in support of him. It's been speculated that King felt it would detract from his overall message, but in what way is unknown. There are many issues here to be considered, and King's stance is impossible to be certain about. But that doesn't mean we can't speculate, right?

Based on the information provided here, what do you believe MLK's stance was on homosexuality?

What is your personal opinion on Martin Luther King? Does the information provided from this article change it in any way?

Any other thoughts or discussion on Martin Luther King or the day celebrating him are welcome.

Based on the information provided here, what do you believe MLK's stance was on homosexuality?

For the time, I think it was a fairly liberal attitude. Bear in mind that in the UK, homosexuality was illegal for men in the UK until 1967. The fact that King didn't denounce the boy suggests at the very least that he doesn't think it's a sin against nature even if he doesn't personally approve of it. It's not altogether surprising that he thought it was a choice, either. I doubt there were many people demonstrating the opposite at that time.

Bare in mind that Lincoln thought that black men were of inferior inteligence to whites even if he fought to end slavery. It might be backwards or bigoted to us, but values change over time.

What is your personal opinion on Martin Luther King? Does the information provided from this article change it in any way?

He was a great civil rights activist. Probably a good bloke too, but I never met him. And no it doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back