What to do?

ShinChan

Gone. For. Good.
So, the Vader thread made me recall a question that I had been considering in past.

I will generalise it.

Say, there's a person named ABC. He has had significant achievements in a particular industry (wrestling, singing, whatever you like). Significant in sense that he has done quite noteworthy things for the aforementioned industry.

But, ABC in his/her real life does a lot of wrong things in his/her life.

So, which side of ABC should be considered? When Generally or even pertaining to that industry?

ShinChan™;5620749 said:
So, the Vader thread made me recall a question that I had been considering in past.

I will generalise it.

Say, there's a person named ABC. He has had significant achievements in a particular industry (wrestling, singing, whatever you like). Significant in sense that he has done quite noteworthy things for the aforementioned industry.

But, ABC in his/her real life does a lot of wrong things in his/her life.

So, which side of ABC should be considered? When Generally or even pertaining to that industry?

It depends on what they have done. Vader talked some shit. No big deal.

The obvious example would be Benoit. People can't look back on him fondly because of his actions.

It depends on what they have done. Vader talked some shit. No big deal.

The obvious example would be Benoit. People can't look back on him fondly because of his actions.
So, most people think that his actions negated all his accomplishments and talent?

ShinChan™;5620749 said:

Both, except in the most extreme circumstances. You can respect what a certain figure has done for their industry and still think that figure is a jackass. I dislike Floyd Mayweather the person because he's an ignorant, arrogant woman-beater who seems to think he can do whatever he wants because he has a lot of money. At the same time, it would be ignorant on my part to deny that the guy is a great boxer because of my personal feelings. Whatever he did in life, he belongs in the Boxing HOF (or whatever the hell boxing has) because of his achievements in the sport. That doesn't mean that he's a good person. But sporting HOF's don't, and shouldn't, base their inductees on how good of a person they are.

When talking about Benoit, it's difficult to say that he deserves the same courtesy because of the heinousness of his crime. I can still appreciate Benoit's work in the wrestling industry, but I would be lying if I said I think he belongs in the HOF. Like I said, most extreme circumstances, and Benoit definitely falls under that category.

Both, except in the most extreme circumstances. You can respect what a certain figure has done for their industry and still think that figure is a jackass. I dislike Floyd Mayweather the person because he's an ignorant, arrogant woman-beater who seems to think he can do whatever he wants because he has a lot of money. At the same time, it would be ignorant on my part to deny that the guy is a great boxer because of my personal feelings. Whatever he did in life, he belongs in the Boxing HOF (or whatever the hell boxing has) because of his achievements in the sport. That doesn't mean that he's a good person. But sporting HOF's don't, and shouldn't, base their inductees on how good of a person they are.

When talking about Benoit, it's difficult to say that he deserves the same courtesy because of the heinousness of his crime. I can still appreciate Benoit's work in the wrestling industry, but I would be lying if I said I think he belongs in the HOF. Like I said, most extreme circumstances, and Benoit definitely falls under that category.
Another thing I am confused about is that do you like a particular wrestler/whatever only on the basis of his work in the industry or also his real life actions?

Like I loved to see Benoit wrestle. But should I consider his real life actions for liking him or not?

Another guy is McGregor. He's talented for sure but his real life actions confuse me if i should support him or not.

ShinChan™;5620761 said:
Another thing I am confused about is that do you like a particular wrestler/whatever only on the basis of his work in the industry or also his real life actions?

Like I loved to see Benoit wrestle. But should I consider his real life actions for liking him or not?

Another guy is McGregor. He's talented for sure but his real life actions confuse me if i should support him or not.

Well, I think one should definitely take a person's real life actions into consideration at all times when judging their character. If somebody (like Conor McGregor) does something that pisses you off, or if you just don't like his attitude, I see no reason why you should support him just because he's talented at his particular craft. That doesn't mean you can't be entertained by him and want to watch his fights.

For example, I never really liked CM Punk as a person, but his character in WWE entertained me and because of that, I wanted to see more of him. That doesn't necessarily mean that I supported him, just that I could respect his talent. Same goes for Benoit. Just because you can enjoy watching him and forget about his atrocities while watching him, doesn't mean that you have to like him as a person.

Vader's misdeeds are fucking minuscule compared to the likes of Benoit and Snuka's. Even compared to what Hogan did recently, Vader's misdeeds are nothing.

Vader's misdeeds are fucking minuscule compared to the likes of Benoit and Snuka's. Even compared to what Hogan did recently, Vader's misdeeds are nothing.
You're right, sir.

By the way, Vader has 2 years left. But Snuka has only 6 months left.

Both. You can respect someone because he/she did something. But that doesnt mean you have to like him/her when they are clearly horrible human beigns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back