What to do with Sheamus

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Sheamus has had a pretty bad year when you think about it. He got booed heavily during his Royal Rumble return, although most agree that it had nothing to do with him. But despite having some momentum early on, it seems like fans are completely indifferent to him now...and indifference is the worst kind of reception.

It's not that he's a bad performer. He has some charisma, promo skills and can deliver entertaining matches...Sure, he's not the best WWE has to offer, but he's still pretty good (in my opinion). But even I have to resist the urge to fast forward through his matches...So what can be done to make him captivating again?

- Heel Turn: I personally think Sheamus should just stop being so kid friendly and turn into an anti-hero. He has the right edge, but his persona is too nice to really capitalize on it. But sometimes becoming the bad guy is the better start. I didn't watch wrestling during his last heel run, so I don't know how effective he is.

- Rusev feud: Honestly I want this more for Rusev's sake, but at least he's a credible enough opponent that the fans would get behind him. The problem is that fans hate Rusev more than they like his opponents and it would be odd hearing "USA" chants with Sheamus defending America...Maybe they could somehow make it a Triple threat feud between Rusev, Sheamus and Show?

- Nothing: Maybe you think Sheamus sucks or that there is just nothing available right now. WWE is too interested in other people and the only reason he probably has the belt right now is because he likely commands bigger paychecks than most of the locker room...so it's a nice consolation prize.

Or is there another possibility?

At this point it's almost a given that they'll feed him to Rusev, which is quite stupid in general.

Eh, since they're thinking to bringing Prince Devitt to the main rooster they may try tagging them up or something.

I read in an interview (I believe here on Wrestlezone, but I'm not positive on that) that Sheamus wanted to feud with Rusev, and that it would preferably be for the US Title. at first glance, it seems kinda odd to do a feud for the US Title between two foreigners. just doesn't add up for some. but I liked the idea Sheamus himself put forth...

although he is not an American, he LOVES America for the opportunities it has given him, particularly the chance to live out his dream and wrestle around the world. so yeah, not the typical U-S-A vs. foreign heel feud from the 80's and before, but sorta the same general concept. and I think it would work really well actually.

Rusev is very athletic for a guy of his size and stature and strength. we got to see that with Jack Swagger. but it's harder to show that when paired up with Mark Henry and/or Big Show. no offense to either of those guys, but it's the simple fact of the matter. Sheamus on the other hand is also very athletic and agile for a guy of his height and size and strength. I think these two would have incredible matches and we saw how the right feud -- in this case, also, with Rusev -- gave a bit of a resurrection to Swagger's career and push.

Sheamus as a heel works. he did fine in that role before. the problem with a heel Sheamus today though is that fans WANT to cheer him. maybe not every fan on the planet, but in general, people want to cheer and like this guy. and for many that don't want to cheer for him, it's usually because of his character/creative direction and not his ability.

all of that said, it's my personal opinion that he should stay face and do as the OP suggested: feud with Rusev for the US Title. book it!

I'd have him wrap up his feud with The Miz, at least I think they're feuding right now. Have him challenge Lesnar for the title at Survivor Series (wishful thinking, as I think a Sheamus vs. Lesnar match could be awesome), and then after losing a solid match to Lesnar, have him drop the US title to Rusev, and these couple losses can fuel a heel turn just in time for Wrestlemania season.

But even I have to resist the urge to fast forward through his matches...

I suppose it depends on what a person wants out of watching wrestling. Regardless of whom he's facing or what storyline might be attached to the match, I never fast-forward through a Sheamus match. The guy works his butt off while providing the type of rough & tumble action I always like to see when I watch wrestling. Sure, the high-flying stuff offered by others is fine, but I would have enjoyed pro wrestling in the 1950's and 60's when fans watched two guys work a match, using some technical maneuvers while pounding the hell out of each other. The thing is, while I see Sheamus as that type of workman, he's even better to watch because his build is far superior to a lot of those big-bellied wrestlers in the past. But, unlike many of today's wrestlers, he would have excelled in either era.

What to do with Sheamus? I would think his career is going along as it should. He's been featured as both a bad guy and good guy, he's seen major and minor championships, he's had others help him enhance his career....and he's served as enhancement talent for others.

He's fine. When Creative gets around to featuring him again, he'll handle whatever they come up with. Meanwhile, he always provides high quality matches and never lets down in performance.

Don't try and fix him....he ain't broke.

I'm a fan of Sheamus but his current role seems very safe. The guy can wrestle and has proven he has mic skills. The jolly stuff as a face has had varied success but, overall, worked. As a heel, he was pretty damn good.

His US title reign has just been so bland. The matches with Cesaro were fantastic but they aren't giving him anything to work with. He isn't getting promo time or an engaging feud. The Miz is a good opponent but they are just going through the motions... it could be better.

Dropping the belt to Rusev would be a fine next step. They could have a couple of good matches and Sheamus is capable of getting the best out of him. Then, he move up the card and maybe challenge Brock or start working with guys like Wyatt and Rollins. Even Harper depending on how his push goes.

Sheamus is talented and deserves better then what he is getting. The idea is becoming tedious but unifying the US/IC titles might be logical. Miz, Cesaro, Ziggler and Sheamus are clearly the upper-mid card. Through in Rusev, Swagger, Bo and Show/Henry and we have a nice week tournament. It's certainly an option.

Am thinking, an eventual hard-hitting all-out brawl with Rusev will occur, provided there are no plans to give the Miz a US title run.

Right now, as Sally said above, he is a solid mid-carder who gives good hard-hitting matches weekly. He will be featured more prominently soon enough.

Hey fella! I think, fella, that this Sheamus fella is in need of a major overhaul fella. I mean, fella, I remember when that fella was a real monster in the ring, fella. Now, the fella's this happy go lucky mid card fella who needs to stop being so happy go lucky and drop all the damn "fellas" and go back to being a nasty, mean heel.

Fella.

1) Sheamus need to drop USA belt to Rusev, because Rusev can make so much more with this thing and it holds Sheamus back.
then 2) Sheamus need a long ok booked feud with Cesaro - will benefit both of them, their styles, toughness and power match each other's very well.
then 3) Sheamus can turn heel and go back to main events. Reigns, Cena, Ambrose, Bryan - all these top faces need new strong heels to work with, quicker is better.
or/and 4) Forming an international alliance with Rusev, Cesaro & Christian can also work, USA vs the World can be endless, thanks to reality, and crowds always react,but Rusev alone is boring.

I cant understand why Sheamus is so under utilized. The guy pretty much has it all. He's got good in ring skills, timing, and a few original moves, or "patented maneuvers" as JR used to say. He's got an effective gimmick that matches his personality, and has good entrance music.
I agree that having him hold the US title is a waste, which the US title is pretty much meaningless anyway.
I'd like to see him in a role similar to Ambrose, Reigns, and Cena have been against the authority. Sheamus vs a faction. Put him in a scenario that he can come out of a hero, get a big boost and really get over with the crowd again.

As much as I loved Sheamus back in the day (Beating John Cena clean to win his first WWE title run, although some might say that was a mistake with the table timing), these days it's just boring. And he's dragging the US title down with him. He needs to drop the belt or go ahead and merge the IC and US titles... although I"m straying further away from merging the IC and US titles, what with the WWE title not being around to fight over. It makes sense to drop the belt to Rusev, only to have him eventually drop it to a patriotic face... maybe Swagger, if they're serious about his face turn.

Sheamus needs to go away for a little bit. I think he's too far known to be repackaged at this point, but maybe he needs to help the guys out in NXT. It's working wonders for Sin Cara II.

And it's a shame, because I got a little chuckle from the 1-800-Fella segments, back when the WWE was trying their hand at filmed comedy bits.

Sheamus has always been a strange one for me. While his in ring skills are good, he's one hell of a brawler, mic work okay, you'd think he'd be further along than he is. Main eventing at least.

I've never been able to put my finger on why he didn't really get over with the fans. He's good buddies with HHH, so that may be part of it for some, but others don't know that fact. I think the main thing is the fact that he is just overshadowed by other wrestlers.

His first title run wasn't fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, his second was a lot better. But I think he won the first title too soon, and the fans didn't have a real chance to get to know him. Either way he's just always sort of been there. barring injuries of course. He's a big guy who can brawl and can always be counted on, but there are so many others in the locker room that fit that description.

When you hold him up to an Orton, Cena, Reigns, Rollins and especially Ambrose, he's just a little lacking. In what I don't really know, but he doesn't have the IT factor. It's a shame really, because I really believe he loves this business and it's been good to him, but not as good as it could have been. He will always be a fan favourite, but not the favourite. If that makes any sense.

My opinion on Sheamus changes a lot. Sometimes I can't stand him, but other times I enjoy him. I think its because its been a while since he has found a happy median. He has either been super hot or super cold most of his career. Since he won the US Title he has done next to nothing with it. That isn't all his fault, Ambrose held the title for a year and defended it only a handful of times, its a stale title.

I think a Rusev feud could be good. Rusev is hot and both guys work a hard hitting style that could make for some brutal matches. Have them start a feud after HIAC, have Sheamus win at Survivor Series by DQ, then have Rusev go over at TLC. It will free up Sheamus to have a solid Royal Rumble and hopefully put him back into the upper midcard at least. A heel turn post Rusev could definitely put him back into the main event picture, especially if recent reports of an Orton face turn are true.

I like Sheamus better as a face, so I disagree on turning him heel anytime soon. Sheamus is the US Champion so the simplest solution on where to go from here is a feud with Rusev. We've seen more than enough of the feuds with "American Heroes", so Rusev would be believable at this point in challenging for the US Championship. This feud would be good for Sheamus to get some stronger face reactions too because the fans who hate Rusev will cheer for Sheamus. I'm sure he'll have some hilarious things to say to Lana in the promos during the feud too. Sheamus could be the one to finally defeat Rusev in a high profile match on PPV, that would be a big deal at this point and he needs a strong title retention during a well booked feud.... Here's the answer: Sheamus VS Rusev for the US Championship with Sheamus ultimately winning the feud to retain the belt on PPV.

Sheamus will drop the US Title to Rusev eventually, Rusev holding the US Title makes sense cause he will bash it and rave about Russia holding US Gold etc. Sheamus needs to be back in the World Title hunt (heel or face). Tho I do agree WWE is in need of more/new heels, when Reigns and Bryan gets back its going to be over run with baby faces. I still wish they would convince Cena to go heel, pull a Hollywood Hogan type of move....I think that would really add some kick to the boredom that been going on lately.

Big physical dude... always puts on pretty good matches and has a decent moveset and good finisher.. just not crazy about the Jolly Irishman thing... and for God's sake, the constant shouting "FELLA" was kind of funny before but he needs to tone it down a bit.

Sheamus will drop the US Title to Rusev eventually, Rusev holding the US Title makes sense cause he will bash it and rave about Russia holding US Gold etc. Sheamus needs to be back in the World Title hunt (heel or face). Tho I do agree WWE is in need of more/new heels, when Reigns and Bryan gets back its going to be over run with baby faces. I still wish they would convince Cena to go heel, pull a Hollywood Hogan type of move....I think that would really add some kick to the boredom that been going on lately.

The Heel problem will rear its head possibly post-Mania 31.

Triple H as the big bad Authority boss could possibly end around Mania, given the storyline that re-started after WM30. Roman Reigns could well end HHH's time(rumours...) for a little while. Tho, I assume the presence of an Authority figure will generally always remain in the WWE no matter what.

Brock Lesnar's contract is going to end at Mania31 also, and given his booking, it is quite possible that he is conquered(after this Ultimate Monster Heel booking) at the event itself and moves on elsewhere. Renewal is possible,but seems unlikely.

Seth Rollins will have a big role as a Heel post-Mania. I have no doubts about that.

Bray Wyatt still has a chance to be salvaged and as I have alluded to in other threads, his character needs to be explored more in order to fully make him a Top Heel in the WWE.

Rusev has heat right now, but his gimmick has a definite shelf life. It depends on how WWE decides to book him. Does his undefeated 'streak' end at Mania itself?

Randy Orton could be in line for a Face turn, but that is needed,atm, because of a lack of fit Top Babyfaces. However, his best work is as a heel, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he returns to being a heel after a relatively short period of time.

Sheamus would surely get some momentum as a big bad heel, and many feel his best work is done as a Heel in any case. Possible for him to be turned if required.

Beyond that, there is BNB whose injury-problems are his main enemy. He gets over that, he could be a huge asset, no doubt.

So, there are options for Heels going forward, but the booking will obviously be key in determining how big of a heel they are. As it stands, the 2 biggest Heat Magnets(Brock and HHH) might well not be there come post-Mania 31, so the WWE has their work cutout in that regard. Meanwhile the possible Top Babyface ranks look as rosy as ever(Cena, Bryan, Ambrose, Reigns).

Sheamus definitely needs a feud to work with. It's been a while since he's been in a heavily contested situation. His matches with Alberto Del Rio were entertaining as hell and made him look like a legitimately tough opponent that would not lose. Sheamus should work with Rusev and be the first guy to really bring a challenge to him. This could help boost both guys' characters. The thing is, I wanna see Sheamus also involved in the WWE World Heavyweight Championship picture in the future. I might be in the minority that actually enjoyed his two WWE Championship reigns as lacklustre as they were compared to his World Heavyweight Championship reign. He just has the look of a WWE Champion or Main Eventer and the aggression in the ring that you don't see too often with others.

I heard about the Sheamus feud with Rusev so this is what you do. Get this feud started after Hell in a Cell let Rusev take the U.S. title from Sheamus at Survivor Series. Than when Sheamus wants his rematch let him have it and lose again. Sheamus gets sick of losing he turns to a heel and joins the Authority as a bodyguard for Seth and HHH, can you imagine Sheamus and Kane protecting Seth. He would make a great heel he is big tough and likes to fight, remember when he was first a heel.

Have Sheamus lose the United States championship to fan favorite Jack Swagger. After he loses he becomes frustrated and turns heel. We see backstage footage of him damaging people's cars, storming the Raw pre-show and taking everything off the table, brogue kicking Bryon Saxton in the face during interviews, and hanging fellow superstars (like a hangman) outside the parking lot doing the 10 beats of the Bodhran against their wills. The Authority sees this and come to the conclusion that Sheamus is a man that takes no prisoners and is out looking for blood, while Kane has gone soft. They let go of Kane as director of operations and hire Sheamus. Now Sheamus is The Authority's enforcer taking the likes of Dean Ambrose and John Cena to battles in Main Event matches. He's Seth Rollins' bodyguard who makes people fear Seth Rollins even more( like how Floyd Maywheather's bodyguards do). Sheamus is the type of Mob Boss corporate figure. We see vignettes of him playing poker, going to clubs surrounded by lustful women, making backstage illegal deals, and all of them has him saying
"This is the life, FELLA". Sheamus abuses his powers as director of operations and books hated rival Cesaro in a bunch of handicap matches. He books Jack Swagger, the guy who beat him for the US title, to weekly title defenses in hard conditions like a fatal-four way or steel cage matches or last man standing matches and matches like those. Sheamus was born to be a HEEL and turning heel will resurrect his career. #SheamusHeelTurn

Have Sheamus lose the United States championship to fan favorite Jack Swagger. After he loses he becomes frustrated and turns heel. We see backstage footage of him damaging people's cars, storming the Raw pre-show and taking everything off the table, brogue kicking Bryon Saxton in the face during interviews, and hanging fellow superstars (like a hangman) outside the parking lot doing the 10 beats of the Bodhran against their wills. The Authority sees this and come to the conclusion that Sheamus is a man that takes no prisoners and is out looking for blood, while Kane has gone soft. They let go of Kane as director of operations and hire Sheamus. Now Sheamus is The Authority's enforcer taking the likes of Dean Ambrose and John Cena to battles in Main Event matches. He's Seth Rollins' bodyguard who makes people fear Seth Rollins even more( like how Floyd Maywheather's bodyguards do). Sheamus is the type of Mob Boss corporate figure. We see vignettes of him playing poker, going to clubs surrounded by lustful women, making backstage illegal deals, and all of them has him saying
"This is the life, FELLA". Sheamus abuses his powers as director of operations and books hated rival Cesaro in a bunch of handicap matches. He books Jack Swagger, the guy who beat him for the US title, to weekly title defenses in hard conditions like a fatal-four way or steel cage matches or last man standing matches and matches like those. Sheamus was born to be a HEEL and turning heel will resurrect his career. #SheamusHeelTurn

While that's an interesting storyline, you've somehow managed to turn Sheamus into a combination of an Irish Ric Flair and Al Capone, neither of which would work on him. And seriously, the first time he ever yelled "This is the life FELLA" my TV would be turned over to another channel, don't think I could put up with that week in and week out.

The Authority as it stands now abuses it's power's all the time, making matches as they see fit. They've been doing it for months, so that won't be much of a change. It's not like they ever give the faces a chance, so how is that going to be any different. And quite frankly, if you need a bodyguard to make people fear you, then you're not someone who should be feared in the first place.

And then there's the problem of what to do with Kane. The guy's only been around forever, and let's be realistic, he's kind of crappy in the ring lately, so what are they going to do with him? His career in movies isn't something to write home about, even though See No Evil did very well, it's been ages since they did the remake. He hasn't done anything since or looks like he will in the future, unless they do a third installment.

Also don't get where Swagger comes into this, seems kind of out of the blue there. Is he really a fan favourite? I wouldn't have said so. Kicking announcers in the face doesn't sit well either, does anyone do that right now? Even the Miz one of the best heels going doesn't come out on a nightly basis and kicks the crap out of Renee Young.

Sheamus heel or face, has never gotten over with the fans. I said it before, a lot of wrestler's overshadow him, and I'm not talking about his lack of skin colour. When you have a Dean Ambrose running around with a hot dog cart, spraying the Authority with ketchup and mustard, nothing Sheamus could do would equal that. I'm afraid he's an upper level mid carder now and he should be happy that he is still fairly relevant and still on TV every week.

And then there's the problem of what to do with Kane. The guy's only been around forever, and let's be realistic, he's kind of crappy in the ring lately, so what are they going to do with him? His career in movies isn't something to write home about, even though See No Evil did very well, it's been ages since they did the remake. He hasn't done anything since or looks like he will in the future, unless they do a third installment.

Also don't get where Swagger comes into this, seems kind of out of the blue there. Is he really a fan favourite? I wouldn't have said so. Kicking announcers in the face doesn't sit well either, does anyone do that right now? Even the Miz one of the best heels going doesn't come out on a nightly basis and kicks the crap out of Renee Young.

After Rusev is done with Big Show, he'll need another hall of fame big man to battle with and clime up the ladder. Kane is a hall of fame big man just like Mark Henry and Big Show, so Rusev having a program with him would also boost his push. Kane put Bray Wyatt on the map and he'll do the same for Rusev. A Bulgarian brute against a demon from heel would be a great storyline and the most exciting one Rusev has been in so far. Sure Swagger had debates with him, Big E saved hostages, Mark Henry beat him up in the ring, and Big Show knocked him while also creating an international accident, but with Kane you could have backstag assaults that would test Rusev's strength. The Brute in Bulgarian Brute would have to become a beast in parking lot brawls. Kane could try to send Lana to hell but Lana is actually good at selling expressions so it would be bolievable. Kane storylines is all about the theatrics and that makes for dynamic storytelling, which Rusev will need so the Anti-America gimmick won't dry its course.

Jack Swagger is a REAL American, so it would make since for this patriotic character to fight for the US title . The 'We the People'
chant is HUGE and I see Swagger shirts on Raw every week. Kicking interviewers would give him heel heat and separate him from other heels.

Kane is a heel and the Director of Operations/Authority henchman. How would that help Rusev? Kane's best wrestling days are in his rearview mirror, I don't think it would boost his push at all. Feuding with him did nothing for Reigns and Reigns is having the push of the decade right now.

I read in an interview (I believe here on Wrestlezone, but I'm not positive on that) that Sheamus wanted to feud with Rusev, and that it would preferably be for the US Title. at first glance, it seems kinda odd to do a feud for the US Title between two foreigners. just doesn't add up for some. but I liked the idea Sheamus himself put forth...

although he is not an American, he LOVES America for the opportunities it has given him, particularly the chance to live out his dream and wrestle around the world. so yeah, not the typical U-S-A vs. foreign heel feud from the 80's and before, but sorta the same general concept. and I think it would work really well actually.

Rusev is very athletic for a guy of his size and stature and strength. we got to see that with Jack Swagger. but it's harder to show that when paired up with Mark Henry and/or Big Show. no offense to either of those guys, but it's the simple fact of the matter. Sheamus on the other hand is also very athletic and agile for a guy of his height and size and strength. I think these two would have incredible matches and we saw how the right feud -- in this case, also, with Rusev -- gave a bit of a resurrection to Swagger's career and push.

Sheamus as a heel works. he did fine in that role before. the problem with a heel Sheamus today though is that fans WANT to cheer him. maybe not every fan on the planet, but in general, people want to cheer and like this guy. and for many that don't want to cheer for him, it's usually because of his character/creative direction and not his ability.

all of that said, it's my personal opinion that he should stay face and do as the OP suggested: feud with Rusev for the US Title. book it!

The US title is holding him back. I figured him facing Rusev, not only gives Rusev another win over a former World Champion and his first but a chance for Sheamus to move on to bigger and better things.

He clearly needs to turn heel. His character is stale. I'd love to see him take Kane's spot as the muscle of The Authority and Rollins' protector so Kane can focus on being an authority figure.

It would be shake up things in the main event. Him vs. Reigns (when he comes back), vs. Ambrose, vs. Cena, maybe even Orton (if he turns face).

I can't imagine a feud with Rusev does anything to break sheamus out of his current funk. However; he does garner enough attention to where the win will be Rusev's best yet. I think Rusev should end up "injuring" Sheamus to give him some time off tv to overhaul his character and come back as a tweener. He doesn't need to be a heel but he can't be the slightly over the top face he has been. New ring attire could do wonders for Sheamus as well. Something more in line with what he wears when he is at ringside commentating. Obviously not them exact clothes but something other than just the tights. A more agressive overall persona I guess is what I'm going with. I'd like to see him come back in a few months and maybe have a feud with an up and coming Luke Harper (not sure what they are planning with him but I am going to assume he is headed for a decent singles run). The two of them could put on one hell of a physical match that could get the crowd back into Sheamus.

FIRST POST!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back