What should TNA do with Samoa Joe

Disturbed

Championship Contender
I never liked joe at all until his heel turn that led to him joining the main even mafia that was great and with taz managing him and they were the nation of violence but whats next for samoa joe should they keep him face or turn him heel? Should he be a contender for the world title or the x division title although he hasnt been x champion in quite sometime?I would like to see taz manage joe and turn him heel again.they could put west back at the announce table and have taz manage joe and joe could have tazs old gimmick which was basicly whatt it was last year it juss didnt last long at all.well i wanna see it last and i was thinking if daniels ever came badck maybey they could team together as heels they could even be called the nation of violence and taz could manage them.Just have joe say hes bringing back the nation of violence and daniels would join.at least they would have something for joe by doing that but that prolly wouldnt happen even if daniels does return.But for right now I would have him feud with some of the younger guys and try to help out the younger guys in there careers maybey he could feud with desmond wolfe,matt morgan,the pope, and i bet he could put on some classic matches with hernadez.also what if he returned to the x division to wrestle doug williams and bring back life into the xdivsion because it isnt about weight limit its about no limit ut those are a few options to go with but what are your thoughts what should tna do next with samoa joe?

well as confirmed last week joe is in the top ten rankings at i belive #6 so when kurt angle gets up to his 6th opponent....lets just say that its gonna be awsome

I'd like to see Joe be a tweener and fuck everybody's day up. It doesn't matter if you're face or heel, one way or another, JOE'S GONNA KILL YOU!!!

It seems you can't win with Joe.

He was over as all hell in ROH but eventually the fans got bored of him for winning every match in 10 minutes or less for 2 years.

Then he joined TNA and he was on fire in 2005 when he was new to the company and just cut through everyone. Watch his match against the most popular man in TNA, AJ Styles, he was getting cheered for destroying him. Though I'm sure they were aiming for sympathy for Styles, they didn't get any because Joe was too popular.

He was still really popular when he stepped in the ring with Kurt Angle and put on a pair of clinics. Still popular when he took on Christian. Still popular when he took on... pretty much everyone else.

When did he stop being so ridiculously over? When his feud with Kurt went a bit too long and he lost a few too many matches. He was still popular, but he lost a bit of mystique around that time in my opinion. And what pushed him over the edge into getting abuse from the IWC? His title run. Why? Because he went "soft" because he was acting as a fully-fledged babyface rather than a prick who beats people up but the fans dig it. I thought those claims were a little exaggerated personally. Watch his match with Sting from Bound for Glory, he murdered him.

Then he was owned by the Main Event Mafia, put out of action, came back claiming to be bad-ass Joe again, had a cool look, and a cool nickname. He destroyed everyone in the Mafia and then swerved us and joined them. This was the point I think they became too dominant, because Angle and Joe on the same team alone is a bit too much, but then throw in the others and it gets crazy. Still, it got him back in the X-Division for a while, and he had a great match with Homicide. We got re-treading of his feud with Daniels and later AJ too and that wasn't enough. We got his pretty poor feud with Lashley and that seemed the final straw and the Old Joe was required.

So he misses almost all of the Hogan regime after being abducted (give or take his short feud with AJ as I mentioned above) and returns with his original gear, original attitude, and original vendetta against everyone who is breathing. He killed fools at random, heel or face alike and was getting cheers, and yet even that seems not enough because he has no clear cut place in the company.

So you can't really win. His two hottest periods have been his time as undefeated in ROH and undefeated in TNA... so logic suggests putting him on a massive win streak, letting him do what he does in the ring, and let him be a tweener or has contempt for heel and face alike. With Abyss' heel turn there may be room for him to rise back to the top and finish his feud with Flair and co.

One issue is I think he's put on more weight and slowed down in the ring over the years. Little things like him doing a running big boot instead of a flying kick during his signature combo, and generally, he seemed to put forward a little less effort than he used to, though maybe I'm just imagining that.

I've never liked Samoa Joe, I've never liked any of the gimmicks they've given him, and I couldn't be happier having TNA do nothing with him. I hate how he does his "kokina clutch" and acts all crazy rolling his eyes back and always stomping out like some big bad ass. He looks more like he's going to kill a short stack of pancakes than any of the wrestlers he puffs up to. I think he has a stupid looking face, a fat sloppy body, piss poor wrestling skills, and I could care less if they took him out on a leash, tied him to a tree, and took him out like old yeller. Yes, in case you missed it, I am not a Samoa Joe fan. Fire his ass, and let him go back to being a big fat piece of shit stupid acting fish in the little ROH pond.

Wow, Joe splits opinions. Piss poor opinions at that.

For all you who rip on Joe's look, I would see a pro wrestler with actual wrestling skills instead of the giant numbskulls that Vince has put on TV over the years.

Joe is as techincally good as anyone in the ring. His agility is remarkable for his size and he can work with anyone. He is the reason why the X Division came to the forefront and got the rep that it did.

I think he has been unlucky since his World title reign. Booking didnt seem to go his way. He won it in a great match, but got lost in the shuffle as champ and then lost it predictably. Since then he has not got his mojo back.

This current run of dominance is good for his as he looks great when running through people. But there is no excuse for not explaining the kidnap storyline. it's pathetic and I hope he doesnt suffer in the long run.

When he collides with top level talent like AJ and Kurt, the outcome will always be good so TNA needs to focus on booking him with good talent.

I'd like to see Joe be a tweener and fuck everybody's day up.

Quite simply, yes! This is when Joe's at his best, tearing through guys & looking like a legitimate bad-ass. Fuck making him appealing to a wider audience, make him believable!!! I'm not sure where the 10 minute matches remark came from though, as I've seen Joe wrestle for over an hour on many an occasion, his conditioning belies his physique! I'm sorry for all you boys on here who only like wrestlers with ripped physiques, firm arses & nicely styled hair & thus, aren't aroused by Joe. Whilst I'm sure you're all in incredible physical condition yourselves, I understand that it must be hard knowing that Billy & Chuck are gone for good! But at least you've got Orlando Jordan to keep you satisfied! Mmmmmmm, Orlando, he's so dreamy!!!

1 word... RAVEN! They should do a stroyline were Raven goes crazy and tries to take over TNA with the ECW faction. Raven then would cut a promo after Joe squashes a jobber.

Raven: (Raven claps a little) Well, well, well. If it isn't the almighty Samoa Joe. The Unstopable Samoa Joe. "The Samoa Submission Machine" Samoa Joe! You all enjoy Samoa Joe right? (Crowd cheers) Yeah, thats great, he's great. Which brings me to my point. We had a deal Joe, and tonight I cash in! Do you recall what happend a few weeks ago, when Joe was kiddnapped? Well I rescued him. But not from the Kiddnappers, but from himself. He begged me, he said "Raven". And he got down on his knees and said "Raven, save me. Make me Samoa Joe again. Take me to the path, because i have lost my way. Make me unstoppable, make me unbeatable, make me Samoa Joe! And in return, I'll sell my soul to the Raven... You! I will help you get whatever you want in this world". And from there... The healing began! So now I need to know, are you a man of your word? (Joe looks aroun for a few seconds and walks out though the crowd).

Now you have a way to use Joe, create compelling storylines, and use more talent on the show. Then in weeks to come people will anticipate the repent of Somoa Joe to the fans.

(Later that night).

Taz: And Raven looks out of it here.

Tenay: And Rob Van Dam going for the frog-splash. Wait, there Samoa Joe, and he just pushed RVD of the top rope!

Taz: Holy cow! He's gonna help Raven!

Tenay: And now Joe, applying the "Cobra Clutch" to Rob Van Dam". And he's done, there no way he can fight back from this.

Taz: And now he's setting up for the "Raven Effect DDT".

Tenay: 1, 2, and Raven gets the three count. Well ladies and Gentalmen here's your new TNA World Champion Raven. And it makes me sick to say it!

Taz: I can't belive Joe, actually joined Raven! TNA is about to get a wake up call.

(The ring fills up with ECW originals and they hold up Raven on their sholders as he posses with the belt).

While I appreciate all the comments from various users (in this thread and others before it) to again give Joe a "reason" for having returned to the "Samoan Submission Machine" of old, and while I too would at least like an explanation of what happened when he was kidnapped, why he was kidnapped and who kidnapped him to begin with, the answer to the OP with regard to what to do with Joe is simple if you ask me – nothing. That is, do exactly what you have been doing with him.

Samoa Joe has twice now conceded defeat/tutorage to those greater than him (arguable) when he bowed to the MEM in the Angle swerve and when Taz was revealed as the reason for his Nation of Violence gimmick.

As big of a mark as I am for guys like Raven, or Shane Douglas, or any number of would-be mentors, the act of putting Joe with any of them puts too much focus on them and not Joe, and he can ill-afford that any more.

If him remaining a dominant destructive machine means never understanding the kidnapping, so be it.

Fuck an explanation, fuck anything. Shit, fuck people even doing offensive moves on him :lmao:

You know when Joe was awesome? That first month back. When that music hit, you were like "ooooohhhhh FUCK" and then it was whippin time. You need at least one badass monster, who has no purpose, explanation, or words, besides to totally fucking destroy everything. Joe can be that, not only does he have the chops, but he is ugly as shit.

He needs no mentor, he needs no words, he needs nothing. Let him continue to build, and use him for giant one off matches.

A part of what made Goldberg work the most, is that he said nothing. It makes someone almost sub human. He just needs to snarl, and whip motherfucking ass.

I want Joe to join Sting. Have Sting behind the abduction. I would have Abyss with them as well. The explanation Sting, Joe and Abyss are trying to save "thier company" from Bischoff, Hogan and all the new outsiders. Go with the story of Hogan/Bischoff holding Joe off and away from TNA as well as "using" Abyss and his mental instability combined with his physical dominance to protect the "new guys" ( RVD, Hardy and Pope). This could easily set-up for Joe vs RVD for the title.

I like the idea of having Joe as a "tweener" as well. Rob Terry has been very hot as of late as has Joe. My opinion would to be have the two of them Feud (irresistible force immovable object type scenario). In the end Joe could give much more credit to the Global title than Rob Terry.

Joe should be at the main event level as the Samoan Submission Machine plain and simple. He has decent mic skills but Joe is so strong, athletic and skilled that he's best off not talking at all, the less Joe says the better he is, he's one of the few wrestlers that can get over without a mic in hand because with Joes high impact and aggressive style its easy to believe that he is a legitimate bad ass that could kill his opponent if he chooses. With Joe, I want to see the aggressive, destructive, remorseless badass that made him popular in the first place, it was really the only time Joe was relevant so they should go back to what works, that's why Dustin Runnels always goes back to being Goldust because it works.

I agree with Mister B1ll that Joe should be a tweener but I would to add this to it. He should be in a stable led by Tommy Dreamer and in the stable should should be the Monstér Abyss and some other hardcore types in TNA.

Just why in the hell do people need an explanation for everything? Always looking for the bull's other ass, isn't it? I don't give a damn about who "kidnapped" Joe. Why? Because bringing that story to light would hold Joe back. Why does it sound like a good idea to have a Top 10 guy deviate from the main event scene to bother with guys that made him get there in the first place. He's obviously doing fine. He's in the Top 10. The hell if he doesn't have a firm storyline and hasn't been on Pay-Per-View since before the "kidnapping". At least he's working solidly and steadily. That should be all we need. Soon enough you can have him feud for a title later if you want. That's when he tends to work best.

I think for one, he should open the show---in the ring---cutting a promo. Get rid of the bullshit they've been doing each week for him to earn a paycheck (now if he's hurt and he's just popping in for a 30 second win, different story). No Hogan or Flair coming out---just him, and saying something to the effect of a shoot interview. "This company for the years I've been here has put me in ridiculous predicaments, getting rid of stars when they shouldn't have (i.e. Daniels), taking away any momentum I might have gained, taking me off the show, etc ---but I'm DONE! From now on, --you want cutting edge? you want risks? you want violence? then that's what I'm gonna do from now on! Abyss? thumbtack match? Sign me up.... Ultimate X? I'm there. Monster's Ball? No problem. Tonight will be the first of many instances where I PROVE what I'm about. I don't care about gold, I don't care about titles, nothing. I'm here to do one thing --the only thing I know---is hurting people and disposing of them". Then of course, the next seven to eight matches all consist of him maiming someone, stretcher, helped to the back, blood, etc. Of course, ultimately, it would lead to a title defense from ________ (insert current champion here).

Real simple as to what TNA does with Samoa Joe...USE THE MAN!! First, he's a bonafide main-event guy and has been ever since he debuted in TNA, well, when TNA debuted. He's a 280-lb. Samoan wrecking machine with X-division agility and a nasty mean streak when it comes out. I like Joe better as a heel, but an intense face (like Stone Cold and the Rock used to be) wouldn't be bad, either. One way or the other, the guy needs more TV time and more main-event time. However, I agree with one posting...if he stays at #6 in the contender's rankings and Kurt Angle makes it to #6, that will be off the chain.

I'm disappointed with TNA's treatment with Samoa Joe. He's such a great wrestler, and his storylines currently aren't making sense. I wish he'd go back to ROH. Dave Meltzer gave Samoa Joe 3 five star matches. Thats more then HBK. I wish Samoa Joe would just... well I'm not even sure anymore.

I would like to see the original bad-ass version of Samoa Joe where fans were chant "Joe's gonna kill you" a lot more. He doesn't need to make any alliances, just keep him as a tweener who wants to dismantle and destroy everybody, and I mean, everybody. I wish Daniels was back so they could feud again...

Here's what I'd like to see happen with Samoa Joe and why:

I'd like to see Joe just take the rest of 2010 off and go get himself in shape. Joe has done nothing of remote import this year. In all honesty, the last year and a half has been mostly crap for Joe. The biggest thing that looks to be happening to Joe in 2010 thus far is that he's going to wind up getting beaten by Angle this dragged out, long and dull storyline that culminates with him regaining the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. After he gets beaten, I think TNA should take him off for a while and work on revamping his image while, simultaneously, retooling him into what he used to be.

I know that people harp on his appearance and, to be honest, there's some validity to it. Why? Because a lot of people simply don't believe that Joe is this extremely intimidating, ultra dominant badass because he doesn't look like an extremely intimidating and ultra dominant badass. He looks like someone that would fit right at home being the big, chubby dumb bodyguard for some Mafia Don instead of being this intimidating force.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking his ability inside the ring. I enjoy most of Joe's matches, but the truth is that Joe just hasn't really been able to make it to that next level. I think TNA should have him take the rest of the year off, have him drop about 40 pounds, tell him to hit the gym and then bring him back at the very start of 2011 with an "old Joe" attitude and a new look. Once he's back, give the guy a serious push and just unleash him on everyone. Keep him firmly within the role of a tweener with no friends, no mentor, no allies and no remorse for whatever he does.

As I said, one of the biggest complaints you hear about Joe is just on his appearance alone. Change his image and don't be surprised if most of those complaints suddenly disappear. I'm not saying that he has to turn into an absolute gym rat or a roid junkie or anything like that. But, an appearance changed coupled with the old Joe attitude and a real push from TNA I think could work.

A while back, there was a thread asking if Rob Terry could be TNA's Goldberg. Samoa Joe is someone that could legitimately fill that role in TNA because TNA fans love the guy. Drop some weight, get some muscle and come back with the take no prisoners attitude of the old Joe. Honestly, if that won't get him to the next level in TNA and keep him there, then I don't think anything will.

Here's what I'd like to see happen with Samoa Joe and why:

I'd like to see Joe just take the rest of 2010 off and go get himself in shape. Joe has done nothing of remote import this year. In all honesty, the last year and a half has been mostly crap for Joe. The biggest thing that looks to be happening to Joe in 2010 thus far is that he's going to wind up getting beaten by Angle this dragged out, long and dull storyline that culminates with him regaining the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. After he gets beaten, I think TNA should take him off for a while and work on revamping his image while, simultaneously, retooling him into what he used to be.

I know that people harp on his appearance and, to be honest, there's some validity to it. Why? Because a lot of people simply don't believe that Joe is this extremely intimidating, ultra dominant badass because he doesn't look like an extremely intimidating and ultra dominant badass. He looks like someone that would fit right at home being the big, chubby dumb bodyguard for some Mafia Don instead of being this intimidating force.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking his ability inside the ring. I enjoy most of Joe's matches, but the truth is that Joe just hasn't really been able to make it to that next level. I think TNA should have him take the rest of the year off, have him drop about 40 pounds, tell him to hit the gym and then bring him back at the very start of 2011 with an "old Joe" attitude and a new look. Once he's back, give the guy a serious push and just unleash him on everyone. Keep him firmly within the role of a tweener with no friends, no mentor, no allies and no remorse for whatever he does.

As I said, one of the biggest complaints you hear about Joe is just on his appearance alone. Change his image and don't be surprised if most of those complaints suddenly disappear. I'm not saying that he has to turn into an absolute gym rat or a roid junkie or anything like that. But, an appearance changed coupled with the old Joe attitude and a real push from TNA I think could work.

A while back, there was a thread asking if Rob Terry could be TNA's Goldberg. Samoa Joe is someone that could legitimately fill that role in TNA because TNA fans love the guy. Drop some weight, get some muscle and come back with the take no prisoners attitude of the old Joe. Honestly, if that won't get him to the next level in TNA and keep him there, then I don't think anything will.

And with it the entire basis for what made Joe Joe in the first place.

The reason people took to him the way they did is because a 250lb + athlete came into the X Divison (of all divisions) and redefined what "big men" can do. Having him lose 40lbs means he comes back lean and mean, but would have lose the concept of awing the audience who'd watch in disbelief as as man of that size performed well above his rank.

Sorry, Jack – couldn't possibly disagree more.

Everyone brings up the Joe that debuted in TNA, but my favorite Samoa Joe was when he was champion right after Kevin Nash and him split apart. The Samoa Joe that was finally focused. The Samoa Joe that couldn't be beat by anyone. The Samoa Joe that dominated Sting. I wish they'd bring that Joe back. The face, that's extremely confident (borderline arrogant), but backs up everything he says and destroys everyone he faces.

What I hope they are doing is slowly building to a Joe-Angle showdown. They have already teased it some with them getting face to face and Joe being number 9 only to move up to 6 this month and keep us waiting. What would be perfect is to build Joe backup properly overtime into the pure badass character and have him win the title right before Angle ends up as the number 1 contender. Then you have Joe make Angle tap at the next PPV and you just might have a Joe that is more over than ever before. I agree with those thinking Joe in any sort of faction is a bad idea.

Personally, I think right now for Joe they need to bring the kidnapped thing full circle. Have him come out to cut a promo, and when he tosses the mic, his captor comes out and reveals himself, and Joe can feud with whoever it may be and cap it off by turning heel and siding with his captor, and then have him go on a dominant run in TNA again.

I would have him feud with Morgan , as the whole short thing they had a few weeks back felt like a real tease to me. Seeing Joe do the Musclebuster on Morgan had me marking hard.

Right now, Joe's character is back where it needs to be aside from the kidnapping, and I'm happy with the direction he taking, which is no direction right now. He needs to just dominate anyone and everyone in TNA yet again. Then, with Kurt's career dwindling, once Kurt gets to Joe in the rankings, I would have them have Kurt defeat Joe and then go on to win the belt, and start another epic Kurt-Joe feud, and have them bill it as Kurt/Joe II and if Kurt is on to retiring, have Joe be the one to retire him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back