• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is a gimmick that would work in today's time but not 2 or 3 decades ago?

Disturbed

Championship Contender
I did this thread a few days ago but in the opposite. Pretty much what is a gimmick or wrestler that works well today and is over but couldn't have worked back in the 80's?

I am not sure how over Miz would be 20 or 30 years ago. The guy doesn't really have a gimmick. He is just the Miz and is great at being Miz. Back then wrestling was about having a gimmick and was very cartoonish. All of the heels had gimmicks and all of the babyfaces had gimmicks back then. I think with Miz's style and how he works, he would have had some better matches back then. It may just be me but when I watch his matches, I see an old school style in his moveset. I just don't think he would be over as a character.

Anything to do with sexuality, you could have divas teasing being a lesbian like James/Trish or gay characters as they where not public norms. The miz wouldn't have been over 20 years ago because he has no character and is horrible on the mic and in the ring..

I strongly believe that today you could have an emo character. Someone who is almost really depressed but hurts other people and themselves feel good. Basically any gimmick that has really been made within recent years. You could also do a tech person gimmick, which was very much was unable to do several years ago because face it technology is not what it was. I think if you take modern day stereotypes to fit a character than you have a true gimmick that wouldn't work years ago.

The ones that wouldn't get over are the ones that kind of wink about wrestling being fake. So, this isn't realy a gimmick, Triple H's promos where he breaks kayfabe wouldn't get over.

I think Miz would get over. He's an annoying fuck of a chickenshit heel, that gets over in any era.

I think most gimmicks will generally, at their core work in almost any era because of how people work. As far as particulars, tech gimmicks is kind of a silly answer because it wasn't invented, so yea, it wouldn't work, but a techy gimmick, when put in the 80s, a guy using the most modern technology, would work just as good then as today.

Don't think any lucha or spotter would get over in the 80s, even more so than today fans based a lot on believability. Most highspots just aren't believable and the way those matches are worked don't make any sense most of the time.

Good thread dude, you should make 2 more new threads asking what gimmick from today could've worked 2 or 3 decades ago and vice versa.

Onto the topic, Cena's rapping gimmick & pretty much any rap gimmick we got today wouldn't have worked especially as in the 80's, WWF had the whole Rock N' Wrestling Connection.

And I don't see how DX could work back then as their stuff were not PG material. But if they were then the gimmick probably could've worked with the kids.

And of course Stone Cold, Rock's gimmicks wouldn't have worked.

^^^^ I think at the core they would. Rock and every other cocky guy aren't that unsimilar. Stone Cold and the gutsy working class type guys. DX was like a shenanigan group.

I think pretty much any gimmick that works, will work in any gimmick when you give it the correct tools but at it's core keep it the same, what do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back