What if "They" is the Main Event Mafia?

Planty

Pride of Manchester
Over the past few months we have heard many references to several different people. Abyss claims "They" are the reason for his heel actions. Sting claims "They're coming", to stop the deception. Samoa Joe said "They" kidnapped him. And Matt Morgan, with slightly different circumstances, has made promo's with the word "We" featured predominantly.

Now whilst we don't know for sure whether these are linked or who anyone is claiming... I came up with a theory that isn't TOO far-stretched the other night.

Could it be a reformation of the Main Event Mafia?

Let's take a look beyond the kayfabe why this might happen. You have Hogan and Bischoff in charge now, instrumental with the nWo. Do they think they can recreate a storyline like that again and heard about TNA's past including the Main Event Mafia.

Now let's take a look at kayfabe events:

-Sting has talked about deception and has made his targets Dixie Carter, Hogan and Bischoff.
-Samoa Joe got kidnapped by "They" and has been beating up anyone around him since.
-Morgan has been attacking anyone and has been referencing to "We". He could be said to have problems with Hogan as Hogan has called him a crybaby before and brought out a returning Hernandez.
-Abyss has been talking about "They" and has made targets out of Carter, Hogan and Bischoff.

Now with Sting and Samoa Joe... at one point they were both in the Main Event Mafia. Morgan kept trying to be part of it, being the non-world champion exception and why should this be any different? And Abyss was a World Champion and could fit in if he so wished.

Now let's look past those four:

Nash has had problems with Hogan at the moment because he won't give Hall and Waltman yet another chance, and Hogan is pissed off at the way they turned out in TNA. He also has had problems with Jarrett who is the founder of TNA.

And then here's the big one:

Angle. The former godfather. He's made a quest to try and get back on top as the Champion. He seems to be on board with the regime at the moment. But this could play off in many ways. Either there's some swerve where Angle says during his break he watched TNA and began to realise how much Hogan and Bischoff were taking over the company... and then during his eventual title match the newly-formed Main Event Mafia assist him and it reveals he was behind it all along. Or he can appear in shock but later join up with them. Yes, it may not be logical as Angle was #2 anyway and could have got a title shot- but a lot of things in TNA are said not to make sense, and Dixie was even quoted in an interview recently saying that wrestling didn't have to make sense.

And then could we see Bischoff turn and perhaps be in cahoots with them against Hogan? Surely he can't stay face forever?

Could the Main Event Mafia reform with a couple of different members and be against management now as opposed to the young stars of TNA?

It's a thought. And on that note, I'd like to hear your thoughts too. Does this make any sense? Would you like to see this happen? Let's hear it.

I recently started thinking "THEY" might be a rival faction from the old ECW like sabu, sandman, saturn, etc and that "THEY" might start a feud with dreamers bunch, with sum TNA guys thrown in on both sides to give them a rub from the whole angle. Now that u mention Stings involvement which kinda slipped my mind i doubt it will be, unless maybe hes leading them.

I think "THEY" could also be a reformation of the NWO with sting playing a key role in the group and some TNA guys such as Abyss.

I liked the MeM but i doubt that will ever be brought back. They had a short run and it worked with the guys they had but bringing in another group with the same name would be pointless cuz we know who we most associate with MeM and they wouldnt be part of it this time around. Its gonna be another group obviously but im just wondering who and why.

No it's not the MEM. Booker T and Scott Steiner aren't there anymore. Angle will soon be facing Samoa Joe to jump the world title contenders queue. Nash might occasionally show Kurt respect and vice-versa but neither is forming an alliance. And Sting was kicked out of the MEM by Kurt and co. I'm sorry dude but it isn't going to happen.

The MEM was two things. One it was a way to get some of TNA's stars over credible opponents. Two it was a way for Vince Russo to prove that the New Blood angle could've worked, that's what the MEM was, it was The New Blood except this time it was a group of heel legends fighting face young guys, the difference was that people could legitimately see AJ beating Kurt and Morgan beating Nash. They were built appropriately. But unfortunately for you, I seriously doubt that the MEM will ever return and I can pretty much count out that they'll be the ones behind Abyss' turn.

You know what? ...your theory is actually pretty good here. I'm surprised I didn't put this together too. With "The Band" (or whatever they were going to call it) being the joke that it was, I wouldn't put it past TNA to try a nWo/MEM hybrid.

That being said, I really hope that this isn't where they take this storyline. There are so many other great things that could come out of this setup without making a new heel group or a rehash of the nWo and/or MEM.

I really don't see how Joe, Angle, Morgan or Abyss would fit into this hypothetical group though:

Angle seems to be on his last run, and I don't think he would want to turn heel. Plus kayfabe-wise, it wouldn't make sense for him to need a group to help him climb the TNA-ranks and become champ.

Both Joe and Abyss have a good thing going by themselves. If you were to throw either one of them into a heel group like that they'd lose all the momentum that TNA has had them build up over the past couple of months.

Morgan wouldn't work either. If Nash is in the group (and he undoubtedly would be, were they to do it), I think he would nix the idea of Morgan immediately. I might be wrong, but it would seem to me that Nash would think that Morgan would steal some of his thunder. I mean, Morgan basically is a younger version of Nash.

As far as Nash & Sting go, they have history with both the nWo and the MEM. In theory, they could be behind Abyss' attacks/turn, but it seems too far-fetched to me (even for TNA standards). Sting does have a history with Abyss (being the one that got him away from Mitchell before), but I have a feeling Sting will remain a creepy outsider in the rafters. I could see Sting teaming with Nash to take down the common enemy, but I just don't see where Abyss would fit in that equation, given that his "they" seem to be wrestlers/managers who haven't arrived to TNA yet. He keeps saying "...when they come...", etc. Maybe I'm reading too much into those words, but it seems to me that they're not on the current TNA roster. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Like Reddannihilation said, if something like this were to happen it just doesn't seem right to call another group the Main Event Mafia without Booker & Steiner. Even though Steiner was damn near useless as a wrestler, he and Booker were a big part of the group. I think it would be a travesty if those two ended up being "they" just so TNA could bring back the Main Event Mafia, good God.

This idea sounds good at first, but when you break it down it just wouldn't make sense at all. There are too many conflicting storylines going on right now for this group to get together. Then again, this is TNA we're talking about so who knows?

I love TNA, but I quit trying to figure out who "they" are a long time ago. I hope its James Mitchell along with a new group he would be leading, that would turn out to be something along the lines of the Dungeon of Doom from back in the day. It's a possibility, but I am absolutely clueless on who could be coming in with him.

I doubt its a rival ECW group because Abyss claims the the whole ECW thing isn't part of their plans.

If the "they" was the MEM then that would be totally useless. theyre almost as has been as ECW aside kurt angle. i belive the "they" are just voices in his head and not the MEM. that would be way too many factions for a group the size of TNA.

Maybe the they is a faction of TNA originals or guys who have been there a while and are tired of the "new" guys trying to take over the show.. I would rather see them getting more tv time then Hogan, RVD, Hardy and other recent signings..

They could have an old vs new feel with sting taking on someone hogan picks for a loser leaves tna storyline..

Planty you got it on the head. (Personally I did not think it was the Mafia but it sounds a lot like it now)

I think it might be like this.

Fortune need someone to feud with like the Mafia did with the TNA originals and if its not the ECW guys then it will have to be someone else.

Matt Morgan never got to be in the Mafia but why would he be the Mafia 2 but then again he was promise by Ric Flair he would be in fortune. But if he is then I think he will be the Scott Steiner of the group.

Why would Samoa Joe join 'they' or what ever when he was kidnapped by them (if it was them) unless he was replacing Booker T

Sting never fitted in the Mafia so just no.

Kevin Nash is with the Band (ever though it ended a bit ago but he still thinks he is in his prime)

Kurt Angle last time I checked he was a face going for the TNA heavyweight championship.Unless he loses his place to someone else then its a no.

Abyss yes he use less on his own he needs someone with him. Just look at him he was better than hardcore with James Mitchell, was against top guys with Hogan so he is better in a group. I think is he is the Kevin Nash of the group.

I would add Desmond Wolfe to the group as he did not make in fortune as he is more talented than Kaz and Flair put together and times by a million. Desmond would be the Kurt Angle of the group.

Maybe its not these guys but there is choices here because Samoa Joe was kidnapped by some guys and they fit there bodies quite well and well Abyss needs some one to help him in any division.

I'm not too sure about this theory, but for the record, i think Morgan referring to himself as "we" was because he was both halves of the tag champions.

As for they, I think it might be a WCW stable or new NWO (with a better name).

i think it will be new stable "tna originals" all guys will be heel the guys who are pissed off about new stars and hogan & bishoff , i think the members will be: abbys, samoe joe, homocide, sting or kurt angle and finaly Daniels will join them by surprise comeback

yea mem died and angle is going to b the top face for a while once he wins the world title. i actually think that they could b the guy who use to have an alliance with abyss i forgot his name but then abyss turned on him and then brought his son RELLIK in. someone help me with the name

I would add Desmond Wolfe to the group as he did not make in fortune as he is more talented than Kaz and Flair put together and times by a million. Desmond would be the Kurt Angle of the group.

Desmond Wolfe is more talented than Ric Flair?! Times a million?! I respectfully and politely ask you to put down that can of paint thinner you're huffing, go to the corner of the room and think about your statement.

Ric Flair is 60 years old and he can STILL put on one hell of a show. Desmond Wolfe is a decent worker for a big guy, but to say he's a million times the talent that Ric Flair is is well...I don't even know the word. Flair has owned wrestling for thirty plus years. Yes Wolfe is younger than Flair, but that's really about it. I bet Flair v. Wolfe would still bring out the best in Desmond, not the other way around.

Do me a favor, go to YouTube and watch some old Ric Flair matches from the NWA, WCW, and WWF. The guy is a walking, living, breathing wrestling God. You're either just oblivious to the past or severely showing your age..

But regarding the point of the thread - yes I can see "They" being the MeM, it would make sense and follow the booking in TNA (that is to say, for the most part, NONE of it makes sense) but to be honest I don't really care. I don't care for Abyss, I think his gimmick is a lame, crappy mixture of Kane and Mick Foley.

I watched TNA Thursday night, hoping this new 'reboot' regarding former ECW stars would be interesting. It's not. I realized it's 2010 and not 1999. ECW is dead, has been dead, and will never come back. I got about 35 minutes into Impact and decided the re-runs of The Office were funnier (they were, albeit different styles of humor - The Office, a comedy. TNA, a comedy of errors)

Just my opinion, though. Flame on if you want.

It can be the Main Event Mafia, for all I care it can be Doink the Clown and Max Moon, with help from Techo Team 2000.

I love TNA, but I quit trying to figure out who "they" are a long time ago. I hope its James Mitchell along with a new group he would be leading, that would turn out to be something along the lines of the Dungeon of Doom from back in the day. It's a possibility, but I am absolutely clueless on who could be coming in with him. QUOTE]

as soon as i read this part, i rememeber the old days in the asylum, and first thought that came to mind, what if its the deciples of the new church? the old faction james mitchell used to lead from abck in the day? it would explain why abyss has returned to the hardcore monster from when he was under james mitchell's "control"

It's definitely not the Main Event Mafia. They are missing too many of their old guys, and it wouldn't work. Honestly, this whole "they" thing will probably be a let down and end up being the ECW guys or something. I loved the MEM but I don't think they should return, nor should they even be mentioned. They ran their course. I hope this "they" thing ends up being something good though.

*Interesting note, Brutus Magnus(23) is about 10 yrs younger then most the "young guys"/TNA originals IWC want to see pushed.

TNA Roster:
Shannon Moore/Jesse Neal Alex Shelley/Chris Sabin
Brother Devon/Brother Ray Robert Roode/James Storm(F)
Jeremy Buck/Max Buck

Douglas Williams Brian Kendrick Amazing Red Homicide
Eric Young Orlando Jordan Magnus Desmond Wolfe Hernandez
Jay Lethal Kazarian(F) Rob Terry Ric Flair(F) Jeff Jarrett
Kevin Nash Sting Kurt Angle D'Angelo Dinero Matt Morgan
Aj Styles(F) Abyss Samoe Joe Jeff Hardy Mr Anderson
Rob Van Dam

(Unknown futures)
Raven Rhino Stevie Richards Tommy Dreamer Mick Foley
Okada Tomko Reid Flair Shark Boy Suicide
*ECW Alumni signed for PPV (Sabu, Sandman etc.)

Now as for the question, I thought it was interesting, but only if may be Booker T and Steiner rejoined. And I'm pretty sure both are signed with that Wilpon Wrestling as well as Xpac (for any NWO theories.)

The storyline seems to be heading in the direction that Hogan/Bishoff are heels. Sting has known all along, Nash thinks they're up to something, Jarrett defends them and may or may not be in on it, and Dixie is probably being misled by them.

I mean, for some reason I think if Hogan/Bishoff turned heel then their wrestlers would be Hardy, RVD, Anderson. I think a heel Jeff Hardy could be interesting and possibly lead to an increase in ratings, but can it be done properly (as usual is the question) and could JH even pull it off?

It just doesn't seem likely. And if Hogan/Bishoff were heels and not "THEY", then "THEY" would have to be a face stable that's against them?
The most likely would be Sting, Abyss, Nash and guys they want to push as faces of the company like Samoa Joe, The Pope(unless they're turned heel as well which prolly suits both better)

Unless "THEY" is Hogan/Bishoff's stable.

If "They" are not current members of TNA, who could they be?
Old WCW guys? Benjamin, Haas, Helms, Knox? Indy wrestlers? James Mitchell/Judas Mesias and other gothic wrestlers.

TNA might pull a page out of WWE book and use unknown guys in a stable which is why you see two security guards from the indies on last weeks Impact. Then again, "THEY" could be the guy Hogan/Bishoff never picked up from the airport 6 months ago.

I feel TNA is setting us up for a big disappointment. Then again it could be epic. I dunno why they would drag this out after the ECW thing if it wasn't something sufficient, but that's TNA for ya.

I'm kind of hoping hardcore justice and the follow up show/ppv are kind of like a distraction the same way WWE gave us a 3 hour viewers choice raw and really delivered in the final 15 mins and NO ONE was expecting it.

Over the past few months we have heard many references to several different people. Abyss claims "They" are the reason for his heel actions. Sting claims "They're coming", to stop the deception. Samoa Joe said "They" kidnapped him. And Matt Morgan, with slightly different circumstances, has made promo's with the word "We" featured predominantly.

Now whilst we don't know for sure whether these are linked or who anyone is claiming... I came up with a theory that isn't TOO far-stretched the other night.

Could it be a reformation of the Main Event Mafia?

Let's take a look beyond the kayfabe why this might happen. You have Hogan and Bischoff in charge now, instrumental with the nWo. Do they think they can recreate a storyline like that again and heard about TNA's past including the Main Event Mafia.

Now let's take a look at kayfabe events:

-Sting has talked about deception and has made his targets Dixie Carter, Hogan and Bischoff.
-Samoa Joe got kidnapped by "They" and has been beating up anyone around him since.
-Morgan has been attacking anyone and has been referencing to "We". He could be said to have problems with Hogan as Hogan has called him a crybaby before and brought out a returning Hernandez.
-Abyss has been talking about "They" and has made targets out of Carter, Hogan and Bischoff.

Now with Sting and Samoa Joe... at one point they were both in the Main Event Mafia. Morgan kept trying to be part of it, being the non-world champion exception and why should this be any different? And Abyss was a World Champion and could fit in if he so wished.

Now let's look past those four:

Nash has had problems with Hogan at the moment because he won't give Hall and Waltman yet another chance, and Hogan is pissed off at the way they turned out in TNA. He also has had problems with Jarrett who is the founder of TNA.

And then here's the big one:

Angle. The former godfather. He's made a quest to try and get back on top as the Champion. He seems to be on board with the regime at the moment. But this could play off in many ways. Either there's some swerve where Angle says during his break he watched TNA and began to realise how much Hogan and Bischoff were taking over the company... and then during his eventual title match the newly-formed Main Event Mafia assist him and it reveals he was behind it all along. Or he can appear in shock but later join up with them. Yes, it may not be logical as Angle was #2 anyway and could have got a title shot- but a lot of things in TNA are said not to make sense, and Dixie was even quoted in an interview recently saying that wrestling didn't have to make sense.

And then could we see Bischoff turn and perhaps be in cahoots with them against Hogan? Surely he can't stay face forever?

Could the Main Event Mafia reform with a couple of different members and be against management now as opposed to the young stars of TNA?

It's a thought. And on that note, I'd like to hear your thoughts too. Does this make any sense? Would you like to see this happen? Let's hear it.
I was thinking that "they" could be the TNA talent. They could say they're sick of being out shined by the ex-WWE stars and "they" are going to rise up and take control of TNA.

It makes sense because Abyss has been targeting ex-WWE guys.

Although I like the They angle I sadly think, like Nexus's "bigger picture" and the "Raw General Manager" they're not sure where it's going. I could've easily seen it being Paul Heyman & Tommy Dreamer (thus giving an explanation for the hardcore nature of Abyss and "They" wanting a new direction, etc) but, I just don't think anyone booking wrestling in America has long-term planning ability right now.

Hell it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be Hulk Hogan, Vince McMahon and Michael Cole for the answers.

While I would love to see MEM come back I think that "they" is the TNA's version of the nWo Wolfpack. I mean who have sting back with his red face paint siding with Nash and just for the heck of it bring back waltman and Hall to join them and Abyss.

I'm predicting the "THEY" will be NWO WolfPac. Sting,Nash and members to be named. Who knows perhaps Samoa Joe.
Sting with Red and Black face paint ring any bells???

I like this idea of “They” being the “M. E. Mob”. In TNA, there isn’t really a focus on the Good Guys in White vs. the Bad Guys in Black. This could work out very well, if followed up on properly.

Sting, Nash and Joe are self explanatory. There is no need to go into detail about who kidnapped Joe. Let’s just let that one slide since they didn’t follow up on it when he joined the Mob.

Abyss fits as he is a former World Champion.

Morgan could toot being World Tag Team Champion…by himself. He could be affiliated, but not officially apart of it till he wins the World Title.

The former M. E. Mob Tag Team Champions, Steiner Heat, will just have to be replaced with two other former Champs, or better yet, TNA could re-do the Abyss / Morgan Tag Team. I said “could”.

Here’s a list of former World Champs currently on TNA that are not mentioned above and are not doing anything “important” (for example, being TNA World Champ, or running Fortune or Fourtune or 4tune or whatever they are called):
Jeff Hardy
Jeff Jarrett
Mick Foley
Raven
Rhino
Tommy Dreamer

They could take any and pretty much all of these guys into the Mob. I probably wouldn’t go with any of the EV2.0 former World Champs. My personal selections of this Remixed Mafia would be Sting and Nash and Jarrett (2 of them could be the Tag Team Champions, and give the one left out an X-Title run), Joe (Legend / Global / Television Champion), and the surprise member, Jeff Hardy (World Champion). Can you picture the Charismatic Enigma in a suit??

I think the name Main Event Mafia deserves to get another run and with the Flair Horsemen running around…well, War Games, I mean, weren’t you thinking “Stable Wars” too?? #@#@!!

As for the Godfather, Kurt Angle can continue what he’s doing, climbing the ladder, one contender spot at a time until he gets to the top. I think, after he gets the World Title, is when he should be approached by the Mob, even offer him leadership, as the World Champ. Regardless if he accepts or declines the invitation, where the stories go from there will be nothing short of interesting. He could join the Mob, join Flair, or be the Stone Cold Steve Austin of TNA and just run solo.

There is no "THEY" now. "THEY" is a writer's trick used to create the impression of depth in episodic television. You foreshadow an event in the future shrouded in mystery. Fans are drawn into the show (if the trick is done well enough) by a series of small reveals. Bit by bit, the "true picture" is revealed, and then you leave fans feeling happy with the reveal when it finally happens. Some of them even feel smart.

The best part about this writer's gimmick is that you don't need to even have a "THEY". A "THEY" can be arranged whenever they find the right person. "THEY" could have been Paul Heyman if he had been off his meds when TNA called. And with how TNA hasn't been accelerating the gimmick (there are no small reveals, just a series of references), I doubt there's going to be a "THEY". TNA's still at the point in the gimmick where they can bail on it without having to explain to their audience what happened to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back