What if? - Steve Austin vs Bret Hart - WrestleMania XIV

TheHitMark-SirJoseOle

A Fan Of Wrestling Not Backstage BS
Now despite what I thought about the Montreal Screwjob, I still think it was a work that was based on real life creative disagreements and animus amongst those involved, but just the same I think it was used to legitimize the Mr. McMahon character. That said though, regardless of what one thinks, suppose that it never happened. Would a Steve Austin-Bret Hart rematch from WrestleMania 13 been a better way to close out WrestleMania XIV? In my opinion, I think the Attitude Era would still have occurred, Vince McMahon would have still been the evil owner of the World Wrestling Federation and so on. Let's go back in time a bit and go over what led to Stone Cold being born in the first place.

I say this because Austin's momentum was already started to roll into a positive direction after Ted DiBiase left the WWF, and Austin now was fending for himself and the direction of his character was FINALLY going where someone of his talents needed to be. As great as Austin was during his time in wrestling, he was just one pay per view loss away from going into the scrap heap of barely memorable WWF personas with that Ringmaster nonsense. Ted DiBiase was so watered down and removed from his heyday as a heel that the pairing was not a good one in my opinion.

What puzzles me is that much like Hulk Hogan in the AWA, Rick Rude in WCCW and Randy Savage in places like the ICW and CWA were cultivating their personas much like Steve Austin was doing the same in ECW. Granted he wasn't called Stone Cold yet, but a lot of his antics and personality departure from his days as "Stunning" Steve in WCW were being replaced. While I don't want to doubt that these men truly had their best success in the WWF, they were already establishing what they'd be famous for elsewhere without needing the WWF to inspire their creativity.

So when Austin jumped ship to the WWF, they didn't capitalize on what they had, and I swear so many people automatically talk about how the WWF was rushing to capitalize on what WCW had thrown away. Granted, I don't know all the accuracies about Austin's firing from WCW, I have heard the stories about how Eric Bischoff FedExed him his termination notice. I don't necessarily doubt that, but the WWF is made out to have been this benefactor to resuscitate Austin's career when I think they were far from that. The fact he made a stop in ECW first and then had an underwhelming and lackluster WWF start only tells me that he wasn't immediately on WWF's radar. I mean he wasn't even called Steve Austin from the get go upon his debut.

Anyway, after Austin finally started hitting his stride in the WWF, we got to see him start a feud with Bret Hart when Bret returned from his post WrestleMania XII hiatus. All I can say is that this period just screamed epicness. It was a bright spot and a precursor to the WWF's turnaround after what was a hit and miss period in pro wrestling, and that applies to both WCW and WWF in this case. Now we saw how the legendary double turn at WrestleMania 13 played out with Bret and Austin, when locked in the Sharpshooter, he just wouldn't surrender. While it would be another year before he'd win the World Title, Austin basically confirmed what King Of The Ring 1996 had stated, that he was the going to be the guy.

Now had the Montreal Screwjob not been done, and Bret Hart had stayed in the WWF at least for a little while longer, who here thinks that Austin beating Bret for the World Title would have been a much better scenario? I do.

And here are some of the reasons why:

1) Shawn Michaels, great performer, loved what he's done in wrestling and have no ill will against him, but I think there was a lot of unfinished business with Bret and Austin that just had to be resolved.

2) WrestleMania rematches are boss, as a kid I loved seeing Bret come back and win the title from Yokozuna after losing it to him at Mania IX.

3) Borrowing more from number 1, the storyline would have been better for it, like I had mentioned there was a lot of momentum I think they could have taken from the year before and carried it forward to Mania XIV.

Now, a lot of things have been said over the years. Bret even stated if I remember right that he wanted to lose the title to Austin instead. How true that is I don't know. Then of course, Vince wanted to cut Bret lose because of his contract and the hard times he was going through financially. I don't really know, but to me. Then of course, there was a lot said about Shawn Michaels' behavior back then, I don't know how much of that really weighs into much.

But again for me, I personally think that things would have been better and Austin would still be the star he became had he rematched Bret at WrestleMania XIV. Especially since all the groundwork to his ascension was already in place. And like I said earlier, redemption stories are always great, especially at an event like WrestleMania. So in closing, what does everyone else here think about this particular hypothetical?

I think this should have all stayed the same because the match between Austin and HBK is one of the greatest WM matches ever {in my opinion} and Bret Hart cannot replace HBK in a match like that {I do not think he will work well with Tyson} and the whole DX thing absolutely is not the type of feuds that Bret Hart should be in.

First of all, I agree and disagree with some of the things you said about Austin pre-WWE and during his debut year. Bret Hart was telling Vince about Steve before he had left WCW about his potential, so he was already on the radar of the WWE. I don't think they capitalized on his WCW tenure, IMO because just like Bischoff, they didn't know how to market a guy that they saw as generic with black trunks, black boots ec. I just don't think they saw it. He wasn't even supposed to win that year's KOTR. HHH was, until the MSG incident where he was punished afterwards.

Anyways, as far as Austin/Hart at WM, I think it would have been an AWESOME match. Much like Austin/Rock was 3 matches with Rock taking the last one, it would have been Austin taking the last one (Hart winning SS 96 and WM 97).

Tyson would still have to be involved as his inclusion was a major reason why WWF turned the corner in the Monday Night Wars.

I agree with the statement that the match would have been wesome and I like the OP story of how they would lead into it. I don't really have anything against it except I don't see how Tyson would have worked into a story with Bret Hart at all. Another thing I assume in this scenario Bret Hart wrestles for the remainder of 10 year or something equally ridiculously long contract and I'm not sure how Hart putting over Austin AND staying there with him would have affected Austin's career. I think Hart would have still have been hovering around the title picture and probably occasinaly winning it. I think to have them possibly feud more in the future would have ruined the monumental affect of the win and start of a new era. I also don't think the era would have worked out as well with Hart hovering the title picture when guys like The Rock Foley HHH Jericho etc were starting to get in the card not to mention the Undertaker could have taken it at anytime I think Hart would have done a lot to in a way ruin the flow of the content. I also think SCSA benefitted a lot by HBK leaving the next night but what do I know.

I hope this makes sense sorry if it doesn't.

I haven't read anyone's reply, so I apologize if I elaborate too much on points that have already been covered. Kudos for such a well written post as well.

I personally think that Vince always had it in for Austin, in a bad way I mean.

I realize that proving my point involves a collection of original research that likely can't ever be confirmed by anyone I name, sometimes something just "feels" like the truth when it's told to you based on past personal observances.

Steve Austin was way over in ECW and I honestly think that the only difference between his ECW and WWF personas was the 3:16 thing. Vince was trying to convince himself of his own supreme dominance of the pro-wrestling world, so Steve Anderson getting to be Steve Austin in the WWF was going to be a long painful journey. I think that Vince personally hated him which was why when (I assume) Steve Austin brought up the idea, thought of by his ex-wife, of his character being "Stone Cold", Vince wanted to put him out there as Chilly McFreeze and make him wear a blue durby hat.

We all remember The Ring Master, and we all (including Steve) wish we hadn't except for some pretty good matches with future superstars. Steve was paying his dues as a joke of a character and in my opinion was being paid to make WCW/NWA talent look stupid by comparison.

It's my understanding that when Hunter and HBK broke character and hugged Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, HHH had his eventual spot as the new top heel taken from him thus leaving an opening for Stone Cold Steve Austin to win the upcoming King of the Ring. It's also my understanding that Bret and Steve were great friends behind the scenes, so obviously Bret was more than willing to do the spots at Wrestlemania and The Royal Rumble that ultimately made Stone Cold Steve Austin more than just a catchphrase.

My point is that I'm sure that the idea of Stone Cold vs Bret Hart at WM14 had crossed the minds of the WWF bookers. While I realize the decision to send Bret away, work or not, was probably a result of Shawn Michaels politicking, I also believe that the WWF didn't want to give too much to Stone Cold based on personal dislike of him and not just because of their new found faith in Shawn Michaels.

Let's look at how the Stone Cold Character progressed after carrying the show through the rest of the 1990's. Vince buys WCW, and Stone Cold is made to betray his WWF family by siding with the WCW/ECW Alliance and acting as their asshole authoritarian figure-head. He was still over as Stone Cold as far as I could tell, but he was being forced to behave in ways that betray the expectations of the fans. He was made to look happy while former WCW talents swayed back and forth and Stephanie McMahon serenaded him with "You are the wind beneath our ring" while an image of his head bounced on the big screen over every captioned lyric, he was made to cry begging Kurt Angle to not throw him over a bridge and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that a later plan was to have Stone Cold Steve Austin job to Jonathan Coachman at Taboo Tuesday.

I agree that Bret would have happily passed the torch to Stone Cold and they would have put on a match to rival Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat. I personally believe that the most prominent contributing factor which caused that match to not happen was Vince keeping personal hatred toward a talent who wasn't home-grown bottled up. I doubt if it would ever have been admitted, which is why it's probably impossible to prove.

All good posts, but to make my point quick, if Bret would have stayed in WWF than absolutely a match t WMXIV with Austin would have been great.

I think best idea of all would have been to let Montreal play out as it did...
(Assuming it was a work, otherwise no way Bret could stay)

Now all the talk of Bret can't interact with Tyson is nonsense.

Everything plays out the same, HBK is your champ, Austin wins Rumble...

Bret should have returned with unfinished business over the belt that was stolen, and say he's got a man who can guarantee no BS... Enter Tyson...

Austin can still have his pushing spot with Tyson, hell, Tyson can still pull the DX turn with HBK...

The point is Austin could still go over at Mania, in the same way with Tyson on his side, only the match would be...

HBK vs Austin vs Hitman, Tyson as enforcer.

So much story pushed in that 3 way dance... And having Hitman would not hurt guys like Rock mankind HHH Taker Kane etc, would have had some great feuds and matches. Just my 2 centimeters

Bret was my favorite wrestler at this time but I wouldn't have put him in that spot for two reasons:

1) we had seen Bret vs Austin the previous year and it would be tough to upstage their I Quit match

2) DX + Austin + Tyson were the hottest things they had at the time, including if Bret had stayed. It made more sense from a money, hype, advertising perspective to have all three of those ingredients in the main event, as it unfolded.

If Bret had stayed, I think he would have ended up in a Mania match with Shamrock or Triple H that year. And I would have made Bret one of Austin's first challengers, after Mania.

Yep, the Screwjob was a work.

Bret Hart got so mad about the planned work that he punched Vince McMahon. Rick Rude was so mad about the planned work that he signed with WCW. The Undertaker was so mad about the planned work that he threatened to quit. Mick Foley was so mad about the planned work that he refused to work for a week. Davey Boy and Neidhart were so mad about the planned work that they jumped to WCW. Owen was so mad about the planned work that Vince had to threaten to sue him for breach of contract if he tried to leave.

Bret Hart spent the next 3 years in WCW as a miserable loner, often giving half efforts because he was so disenchanted with the business. After his injury when WCW released him, it took several years before the WWF could repair the relationship enough to get him to do a video or appear on tv.

Now, setting aside the ridiculous notion that the Screwjob was a work, Austin vs Bret would have worked.

McMahon could have been behind Bret as the ideal champ. Tyson could have worked without being a member of DX, just a McMahon enforcer. Austin goes over the "ideal" champ in Bret and this launches the McMahon rage to have a corporate champ.

Yep, the Screwjob was a work.

Bret Hart got so mad about the planned work that he punched Vince McMahon. Rick Rude was so mad about the planned work that he signed with WCW. The Undertaker was so mad about the planned work that he threatened to quit. Mick Foley was so mad about the planned work that he refused to work for a week. Davey Boy and Neidhart were so mad about the planned work that they jumped to WCW. Owen was so mad about the planned work that Vince had to threaten to sue him for breach of contract if he tried to leave.

We're talking about professional wrestling here man, I don't care how many slickly produced DVDs WWE makes these days, I don't care about how all "powerful and encompassing" the internet is in the way of bringing information of all subjects to its masses, at the end of the day we're talking about something that thrives on distorting fact and fiction for its audience. I don't want to play conspiracy theorist here with the Screwjob, but all of the things you've stated while I don't doubt there were those who were upset about what happened in regards to creative direction, I reserve my right to not believe everything I see, especially in the case of professional wrestling.

Now, setting aside the ridiculous notion that the Screwjob was a work, Austin vs Bret would have worked.

My previous statement pretty much sums up how I feel about you stating that the "Screwjob" being a work is a silly notion. But I did want to expand further upon one of your other statements regarding Bret and the WWF's time away from one another. I acquiesce that Bret Hart was none too satisfied with his creative path in the WWF at times, and some of the other facets of the product. That I can believe and again, I don't doubt there being acrimony between Vince and Bret on many things, but I would say that what drove that acrimony further during Bret's time away from the WWF/E had more to do with factors like the Attitude Era's content and well let me venture a guess to say this...the death of his brother Owen in that asinine Blue Blazer stunt gone wrong. So while I can't speak for Bret, nor would I ever I'd really wonder what made matters worse between him and Vince his creative direction or his brother dying in front of an entire wrestling audience. Like I stated, I don't doubt the tensions Bret has had with people behind the scenes, but let's not scoff at the notion of something being bullshit when the entire wrestling business had predicated itself on being a world of bullshit artists by nature. Hell, isn't that why most people love it in the first place? I mean that's a reason why I'm a fan in the first place. If I wanted supposed "realism" I would go and post topics on UFC and Boxing. And we know those artforms are far from sacred at times. Anyway I digress.

McMahon could have been behind Bret as the ideal champ. Tyson could have worked without being a member of DX, just a McMahon enforcer. Austin goes over the "ideal" champ in Bret and this launches the McMahon rage to have a corporate champ.

Just the same, I appreciate your contribution to the thread. And I will say that scenario with Tyson being involved as a McMahon enforcer is something that could have worked out. I will admit my part here in fantasy booking isn't the most perfect scenario, others have pointed out other good points in addition to yours.

Either way, I really do think one more Bret and Austin match particularly a WrestleMania rematch as I've proposed in this thread would have been something else.

Montreal was not a work, anybody thinks that is deluded. Bret Hart's life spiralled to shit following what WWE/Vince did to him that night at Survivor Series. But I digress......

Fantasy booking, and seeing who the players were then, Kane was already being groomed and brought in for his feud with Undertaker. So he is out of the picture. Lets say HBK "stole the title" in Montreal, Bret replaces Owen at In Your House DX and does the run-in during the Shamrock match. Hart vs Michaels is set for the WWE Title at RR, but if Michaels doesnt hurt his back, we have Austin and Hart vs HHH and HBK at the In Your House ppv leading to Wrestlemania where Owen Hart vs Hunter goes ahead and we have a triple threat for the WWF Title, Austin who won the rumble still, vs Hart vs Michaels. Both Hrat and HBK eat stunners, and Austin lays across them both, leaving an image of Austin going over the top 2 guys of that era, and the Attitude era commences the following night. If Bret stays, Mike Tyson doesnt happen, in my opinion.

I highly, highly doubt we would have seen a triple threat for the title at WM 14. Triple threats in the main event were still rare at this point and I really can't imagine the WWF going with it in a main event match of Wrestlemania at this stage.

The most likely scenario, even without the screwjob, is that Austin takes on HBK just the way it happened. The best we can hope that would have changed would have been Hart vs HBK at Royal Rumble, thus eliminating the injury that derailed HBK.

It very well could have been that match if Bret decided to stay. According to his book, if Bret stayed these were the plans Vince laid out for him: He would lose to Michaels at Survivor Series, lose to Michaels at the In Your House following Survivor Series, lose to Michaels in a ladder match at the Royal Rumble. He would then challenge Michaels on RAW saying if he lost he would never wrestle again, and he would beat Shawn on that RAW. If he won the belt from Michaels, he probably would have held it until WM14 and dropped it to Steve.

It was Bret's choice, he just didn't like that Vince's plans were for him to put Michaels over all those times when he felt Michaels disrespected him by saying he wouldn't return the favor after Bret said he would be willing to lose the belt to Shawn if Vince asked. Shawn would have never hurt his back against Undertaker if he faced Bret in a ladder match at Royal Rumble as well. Vince was paying him in full, but he didn't like where the product was going and didn't like taking a back seat to Shawn, who he felt was a disrespectful prick.

Yeah, I'm one of those that also thinks that if Montreal hadn't happened and Bret had stayed with the company a little longer, Austin vs Bret would have been the better option for Wrestlemania XIV, especially for the redemption story. Plus you know Bret would've put over Austin at the event on his way out, guaranteed, but with Shawn, his ego, his attitude and his politicking at the time, if it weren't for The Undertaker setting him straight and threatening to knock his lights out if he screwed over Austin, he could've indeed gone out there and screwed over Austin. Bret was a safe option for Austin, but Shawn could have possibly ruined it all for him.

I think the build up with Tyson would have worked out just fine with Bret involved, hell maybe even better. Tyson joining The Hart Foundation, could have drawn a lot more heat for him from the fans. He could have really been hated for defecting to the Canadian side, for helping The Harts take out Austin and bury him underneath the Canadian flag as The Foundation would always do whenever they ganged up on a superstar. And he could've received a much bigger pop for ko'ing Bret and turning on the group after the match at Mania.

Also with Bret still there, I imagine Bulldog and Neidhart would still be there too and they would be available to compete at Wrestlemania, which could've made the card a bit better.

I think Austin vs Bret at Wrestlemania 14 would have been a better match because those two simply worked with each other better than Shawn and Austin did. They also had the obvious storyline of Austin needing to get his win over Bret and it could also have concluded the Hart Foundation vs the USA angle nicely. Plus HBK was limited enough in that match due to his back injury.

I honestly don't understand how anyone thinks Montreal was a work though. What was the pay off for it? Why wasn't Bret open to negotiations of returning in 2000 when his WCW contract was up? Why did it take him over ten years to appear in a WWE ring again? Why are they still working us by not admitting to it? It being work simply doesn't make sense.

Bret said in his book that Vince's plans for him if he chose to stay would be to lose to Shawn in a string of PPV matches for the belt, including a ladder match at Royal Rumble 1998 (where Shawn would have never hurt his back because he wouldn't be wrestling Taker in the casket match). After all those PPV losses, Bret would challenge Shawn on RAW saying if he lost he'd never wrestle again, and then he'd win the belt from him live on RAW.

My guess is that after he beat Shawn at that RAW, he would have held the belt until WM14 and drop it to Steve.

Montreal was not a work, anybody thinks that is deluded. Bret Hart's life spiralled to shit following what WWE/Vince did to him that night at Survivor Series. But I digress......

Oh come on, now. We all know that Bret screwed Bret. :)

(Sorry, it was just too easy)

That aside, I think the fantasy booking works, and would've been preferable. Michaels was certainly game for that match, but I think Hart / Austin (3?) would've been a better match, and would've had more meaning overall. The buildup for Austin/Michaels wasn't terrible but I felt there was definitely something missing from it.

First off I want to state that I like the idea of Austin facing Bret for the title at WM14 with Austin finally taking down Bret once and for all, I think the match itself would have been fantastic, I think the program would have continued to be fantastic and I definitely think Bret had more cause to face Austin at Wrestlemania 14 than Shawn Michaels did.

With that said I wouldn't have done it regardless of if I was able to afford Bret or not for 1 reason: Mike Tyson

Although it was Austin vs. Michaels for the title it was Mike Tyson's involvement with Austin that really made that match work and ultimately what sold the event in the 1st place (I think it increased buyrates by 600,000 from Wrestlemania 13). Tyson fits perfectly with DX, he just does and Tyson vs. Austin and Tyson aligning with DX is about as perfect of a relationship that you could get. For that reason alone Michaels dropping the belt was the right choice. Without Tyson that event doesn't sell nearly as well, it doesn't sell out in 90 seconds and it doesn't give fans the reason to turn from WCW to WWE again. That's why Tyson is the most valuable celebrity WWE has ever had working with them, his interaction with Austin is what got people changing that channel in the first place.

The plan was always Shawn vs Steve at XIV according to the net/dirt sheets months before the screw job. Shawn was the better fit with Tyson being involved. The build for that match was great. I just don't see Bret fitting in to the Tyson mix.

The problem with Bret vs Austin would be the near impossible standard of living up to their wm13 match. Plus Bret had been feuding with Austin the past year and half and michaels was a fresh feud for Austin.

Austin vs micheals vs Bret: I hate triple threat match, especially for the title at mania. Tho, I do think these 3 guys would have made it great. This is assuming there's no Tyson involved. In that case this would be the match. Taker/Kane was in the plans since the fall and one of these guys would have been the odd man out. Really don't see where the 3rd guy could fall into the XIV card apart from this match.

Tyson was one of the big draws that got WWF back into mainstream media. So the point about Hart not working well with Tyson would hold valid.

With that said, Michaels and Austin did not have the same chemistry that Hart and Austin did. Without Tyson thrown into the mix I don't think the heat would be very significant between the two. Crude Redneck versus playboy doesn't have the same heat that he had with Hart's clean cut gimmick.

Also, Michael's pulled some underhanded things in his time aside from the Screw job, if he wasn't hurt I don't know if Michaels would have let Austin get over on him in the fashion that he did or at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back