What country should I live in next?

Gelgarin

Gentleman of the Old School
So after two not completely terrible years I've decided that my time in Siberia is over. Tyumen is not the worst place I've ever lived, but a typical winter day is 40 bellow 0, the last of the snow melted 48 hours ago, I can easily double my money anywhere else and I'm not presently having sex with anybody, so the decision to leave pretty much made itself.

With that in mind: I need a new country to go live in. The options are pretty much anywhere excluding the US and Oz (bigots).

Ideas?

Depends. Do you want somewhere tranquil, somewhere with a lot of resources, somewhere easy to travel around, somewhere hot, somewhere in time or some place or Iron Maiden album I haven't made a reference to? If you get your criteria down, you should be able to narrow it down.

I hear Italy is nice.

It's not. And for some reason, I just can't get interested in Europe - not that I give a shit about traveling or seeing the world or any of that nonsense - but I just can't see many upsides to the continent.

Money is worse that Asia, Arabia or the more profitable parts of Africa, cost of living is significantly higher and I might actually have to pay tax to someone. The food is quite a lot better, and the language is significantly easier for me - but that's about it.

My current top destinations are Indonesia on account of it being a laid back tropical paradise, Saudi Arabia on account of it being a dank oppressive hell hole willing to pay offensively good money and grant full tax free status, and Vietnam because they venerate teachers over there and I do enjoy having my ego massaged.

Also there's work going in Afghanistan, and I still want to get a novel published one of these days.

I'd recommend Abu Dhabi in that case. Excellent pay without many of the drawbacks Saudi has. My dad's best friend lives out there as a doctor and makes extraordinary money, and he actually gave Idi Amin a check-up. This was in about 2001 I believe.

So if you're up for making a lot of money, nice weather and possibly bumping into exiled dictators, you could do a lot worse than Abu Dhabi.

Only problem is the money though, which is a major problem considering it's the second most expensive place in the Middle East for expatriate employees.

Can't go wrong with Canada. Close to home, weather at times feels like Siberia, and there's plenty of work.

Unfortunately they have people to teach English in Canada - Canadians.

I ran the numbers a while back and concluded that I'd do better in Saudi than UEA both from a financial and a quality of life perspective (UAE does tend to be quite strict, whereas the Saudi way is to shut you up in a compound full of white people and then diplomatically not give a shit about whatever you get up to).

Also I don't drink tea, which is a death sentence in Abu Dhabi.

My friend got on Al-Jazeera TV the day before yesterday after running away from gunfire in Grecheskaya Square.

Speaking as someone who has lived in multiple countries, I'll give a general rule.

If the president/leader of the country in which you are thinking about living wears a military uniform in public, don't live there.

Unfortunately they have people to teach English in Canada - Canadians.

I ran the numbers a while back and concluded that I'd do better in Saudi than UEA both from a financial and a quality of life perspective (UAE does tend to be quite strict, whereas the Saudi way is to shut you up in a compound full of white people and then diplomatically not give a shit about whatever you get up to).

Also I don't drink tea, which is a death sentence in Abu Dhabi.

Probably less depressing too. Seriously, the campus is the poster child for ugly concrete buildings.

If you aren't too interested in Europe(I would've suggested Germany) then I'd suggest Crete or Tunisia. I've spent some time in both and if you find a nice area in Tunisia on the Mediterranean side it can be beautiful and a nice place to live I would imagine.

Crete was also nice but I didn't spend as much time there, flew into Héraklion and bussed it to Knossos. Beautiful place, nice down to earth people who like good food. What beats that?

The US don't give work visas to English people to come over and teach them English when they have their own army of worthless Lit grads to employ.

My sister did Kenya for six months last year. Someone blew up Mombasa while she was there. Then again, someone blew up Bali whilst my mother was holidaying there, and I'm certainly not crossing that off my list.

Not Ireland. It's a bit crap. Unless you go to Cork.

Portugal was really nice when I was there. And Japan is somewhere that looks amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back