• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are your thoughts on the Legends Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Dark Match Winner
Where does this title rank for you in TNA? Is it credible? At first everyone thought it was going to be a title just for Booker T but the title has seen a few owners now and kinda pushed Styles to the World title. I would have to say the Legend title is credible and I think the name of it is cool because it also makes the wrestler look good wearing a title thats called the LEGENDS championship.

In my opinion, it's an interesting concept. From how I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) it's generally for those wrestlers who actually have achieved some legendary status. Those who have held it thus far certainly have done that. Booker T, Mick Foley, AJ Styles, Kevin Nash (I believe that's all so far.) Those who have challenged for it also seem to be up there in the legendary status. For me, it seems to be for those who've gone beyond the heavyweight championship and are now fighting to prove who's the best among those with the richest histories. If Sting sticks around, it wouldn't surprise me if he were to win it.

It's credible and, as an added bonus, it's a good way for the older wrestlers who can't move so good to be on the same page in a championship situation...if it were ever to come to that.

Its a good title to have if TNA plans on continuing to use the older guys who are maybe no longer in their prime. I think neither Hernandez nor EY are creadible contenders yet, but the title suits Nash perfectly.

I think too many people are taking the title literally. Yes, Booker T created it to call himself a legend, and yes, it looks good when legends like Foley and Nash are going for the "legends" title. But it is not restricted to just legends. Like I said in one of the last TNA posts...there is the X-Division title just for high flyers, the tag title belts just for tag teams, and that just leaves the World Title. There needs to be another title for regular wrestlers, and to add a spin on it, they have made a title belt with a good name that was made by a legend and obviously would make more sense if a legend is holding it, but it is not just for legends. Even if Eric Young won the title, it would be cool for an up and comer to have a belt called the "Legends" title. It gives him something to live up to, even if not really. I say just relax, don't take it too literally, and enjoy another title that gives both legends and people who aren't high flyers a chance at another title.

TNA Legends title is the company's equivalent to the WWE's United States and Intercontinental belt's. It's used for raising talent from the mid-card to the main event. In my opinion, they are handing it right now to actual legends so the belt get's some face value quickly, I mean a belt would need a lot of credibility to be used to elevate talent to the higher ground. Eventually it will be used to create "future legend's", hence the name. We might just see the beginning of that faze if Kevin Nash loses at Bound For Glory. At least that's my opinion...

Ive read that the Legends Championship is a mid-carder championship, similar to the intercontinental or united states titles in wwe...I think its great for TNA because they never had a mid-carder championship....IMO i think TNA should have come up with a better name for the title, the Legends name could mislead some fans who arnt familiar with pro wrestling

You can't have a title like the legend's championship and only have legends have it or challenge for it. Quite frankly, that list will be very short. It is way too subjective a word. Who is a legend? What constitutes a legend? Does a wrestler who has a world title reign under them a legend? 2, 3, or more? Do they need to do something incredible like say get thrown off the top of a cage or start a rival faction that becomes one of the greatest if not the greatest in history? If your only going to have so-called legends have the title, then tna is pretty much out of contenders. Unless you add the likes of Sting, Angle, Steiner, maybe a few others who could be borderline. I think the whole point of the title was for Booker T to make himself a legend and lord it over all the other guys. Now its just a name for the midcard title. If you look at other title names, is the US title only allowed to be held by Americans? Was the European title only allowed to held by Europeans? Nope and nope.

I hate, and have always hated, the Legends title. Your company has a problem when someone can commission a belt and start walking around with it and have the company take it seriously. It should be on a level with James Storm's Beer Drinking Championship.

With TNA's roster, I could almost see the argument for a title and a division of former champions who are way past World title contention, except that those guys are in the World title mix--Sting, Foley and Booker have all had either World title runs or were No. 1 contenders in the last year or so.

I hope that Sting wins the Legends title from Nash at Turning Point and takes it with him when he retires. If TNA needs a midcard title, then get one.

By the way, I think that you have to class Sting, the biggest face in WCW in the 1990s as a legend. The NWO's Kevin Nash, involved in the one of the biggest and most revolutionary angles in wrestling history, qualifies. Your Olympic Hero, Kurt Angle, for most of this decade the best pro wrestler on the face of the earth, qualifies. Mick Foley, Hardcore Legend, qualifies.

Booker? Steiner? Not so much. Jarrett? Borderline, but maybe Mr. TNA qualifies.

I've always considered the TNA Legends belt as something in the realm of Ted Dibase's Million Dollar Belt. It's just some belt a wrestler introduced because he couldn't win a belt on his own but unlike the Millon Dollar Belt the Lengends title has become a real title that's defended. I think TNA had enough belts before the introduction of the Legends titles. If your gonna use it as a belt TNA should of established the belt as a legitiment title from the get go and had a tournment.....

I hate, and have always hated, the Legends title. Your company has a problem when someone can commission a belt and start walking around with it and have the company take it seriously. It should be on a level with James Storm's Beer Drinking Championship.

How dare you talk ill of the Beer Drinking Championship!

No really though, I agree with an above poster that this belt would be great for the older guys to keep on the same page with each other. But this not a proper mid-card title for "regular" wrestlers to carry. What they need to do is make another belt along the lines of the IC/US belt and give it to someone like EY and have him carry it for awhile while WE gains momentum.

What they need to do is make another belt along the lines of the IC/US belt and give it to someone like EY and have him carry it for awhile while WE gains momentum.

Hmmm. A World Elite Invitational Tournament, crowning an International champion? Bashir, Young, Kiyoshi, one of the Brits, Homicide representing the US.

An International championship could be an okay midcard belt.

I didn't mean a belt necessarily for uh "countryism". I'm just saying that TNA needs a proper mid-card belt for their rosters, and I believe EY is the best person to hold it as it would help boost him and the WE.

I can't stand the Legends title. It has no real meaning and is just stupid title when they have too many already.

Ditch the legends title and get a REAL mid-card belt(like the IC title or US title) for people like Herdandez, EY, Samoa Joe, and Daniels to fued over.

tna needs to drop the legends title and do either a north american or tna world international title and make the belt defendable to the knockouts as well as the x division and tna could have a x division tag team and/or legends tag team title

I like there being a middle card belt but they need to put it on guys to get them in the WHC picture like they did with AJ and while they are not doing that they can put it on someone like Nash or Booker. I think it could get guys like Kip James and Rhino into some good matches. So i think that if TNA will use it right then i like it.

It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do: give people that aren't your traditional X-Division guys a belt to go after that they can realistically get. You needed big names like Booker and Foley and AJ to hold it at first so that the belt has credibility. By having them hold it, the belt looks legitimate and now you have guys like Young and Hernandez going after if as the midcard belt. It's what's been needed for a good while and it's going just fine.

The Legends title needs to go.Resurrecting the TV title would be a good idea.Bring up all the great former tv champs from NWA/WCW.Dusty Rhodes,Arn Anderson,Tully Blanchard,Ricky Steambot,Sting,Booker T.The title would have instant credibility and help launch some of the mid card guys to the main event.

Well Booker T, AJ Styles, Kevin Nash and Mick Foley have all held the title belt which is a sign of top names who are close to being or have been TNA Champion so its like how the Intercontinental title used to be.

I think it is a platform onto the TNA Championship and works well to keep some of the established names who can't go as well a chance to retain their status and a younger wrestler a test to see if they can hold up the ratings with the world title.

However as Jarrett once said the more titles you have the less they mean so in a little over 2 years TNA has introduced a lot more titles so that could devalue this title. Its worthy though.

I said this in the BFG thread, but I'll reiterate here...The Legends title is nothing but a prop belt, used to hold people over until they get to the TNA title, or for the guys well past their days of being around the TNA title.

The best examples are Booker T and Kevin Nash. They're not going to lead the company, and they're not future stars by any means, so they get the red belt to make them feel good, and keep them relevant. AJ got the belt to hold him over until they had something for him in the big picture, and now I feel that Hernandez is next in line, since they wasted his chance with the briefcase.

The Legends championship is the upper-midcard title that seperates the wrestlers from the X Division and the wrestlers in the main event area. It is a way to see if those that have increased their work to be able to hang with the big leagues or need more training before heading on up. With the amount of guys on the roster that could potentially be considered main event, it was a good move making this title so it can decrease the crowded ME scene. It was a smart move by TNA to call that title Legends and create the belt with mainly gold to give prestige to the title and actually making that belt worthy of winning.

I have no problems with the title and believe it is a good way for the current rosters now to be able to do something. When TNA finds that line between Main Event and X Division, then this title will be nothing put a useless prop to get somebody some exposure.

Two things about this belt I don't like:

1. The name implies that it's holder has to achieve something of legendary status, in addition to winning the match. Idealy, every wrestler should do something noteworthy before winning a championship, but I think putting it out there in the name is distracting. The implied qualification of legend makes me think that a new rising star would never be in the title picture. If a new star thought he could beat the current Legends championship, why the hell wouldn't he challenge them for it? And with that, point number 2...

2. It's only a matter of time before someone wins that is not a legend. What will happen to the prestige of a "Legends" Championship when someone like Cody Deaner steals a win? Of course, this is bound to happen with almost any title, but again, having Legend in the name makes it even more offensive.

On the other hand, the belt does look awesome.

The TNA Legends title is a solid mid-card belt and in agreement with an earlier poster, it's a great way to put the regular, younger wrestlers a future legends by winning the title as the title leads to a main event push shortly afterwards. Now Mick Foley may be exempt from this as he went the reverse route and is now feuding with Abyss so I don't know if Mick will get a similar push later on or what, but after seeing the AJ Styles push with him now the TNA World Champion, the TNA Legends Championship has credibility after seeing Styles win the World title.

Just another midcard title that got a different name. It's not really only for legends, that was just the premise behind it. It's looked decently credible and gives meaning to upper midcard storylines such as the current one with EY/Hernandez.

I don't have a problem with it, it's done what it's supposed to. It may be a "prop" belt as NSL said, but aren't all belts just props? A good title that has been decently useful. The name doesn't mean anything though, should've just been called the European Title or some shit like that.

I look at the Legends title as a mid-card title above the X-Division but below the World Championship. While some of the greats this industry has ever seen have held it I don't believe that it is meant just for the older guys who have legendary status or rich histories. I believe it is a way to help the young talent strive for something. In my opinion...let's say EY wins the belt at BFG...it would be a way for him to say I strive to be legend in this industry and that's why I want the Legends title sort of thing.

It is slowly becoming a credible belt too. At first it was stupid and just a piece for Booker but I am glad they turned it into something serious and credible. I look forward to seeing the young talent coming up in the business and challenge for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back