Week 8: The D-Man -versus- Little Jerry Lawler

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Submission finishers: Any place for them as a wrestlers only submission?

Little Jerry Lawler is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends + 24 hours after Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

Since I believe I am at a total disadvantage in this debate, I'll need a bit more time to formulate my opening argument. LJL, if you don't mind, I'll need to do this either tonight or tomorrow. Is this ok with you?

Guys, I'm really sorry for delaying the debate this much. I guess I'll lose my punctuality points for this round. But, since I have limited time this week, and given the subject matter that we are debating about, I'm going to try a new debating method and keep my replies short, sweet and to the point.

This week my task is to take on the subject of why submissions have no place in pro-wrestling as a superstar's only finisher. A difficult task indeed, but an interesting topic to debate. There are a few reasons why every wrestler needs a high-impact finisher in his arsenal:

1. Submissions take too long to set up.
Sometimes, a match's victory requires a sudden, high-impact move to knock an opponent unconscious for just long enough to get a three count. If you search through history and look at the psychology of a match from a kayfabe standpoint, you'll see that most of the all time greats required the ability to beat you with fast, sudden, unexpected move and win via pinfall. The Stone Cold Stunner... the Rock Bottom... the Angle Slam... the Leg Drop... the Spear... the RKO... the DDT... the Pedigree... shall I go on? The greatest finishers of all time have been quick and exciting moved which were almost impossible to telegraph.

2. Submissions, by design, make opponents look weaker.
From a non-kayfabe perspective, a pure submission wrestler would work fine in the mid-card for a little while, but once a wrestler who only finished opponents by submission got up to the main event levels and faced men like Orton, HHH, Batista, Punk, Undertaker, Jericho, Cena, etc. the submissions wouldn't work. Cena and Undertaker won't submit, so that's two people a pure submission wrestler will not be able to go over. The closest things WWE has had to a pure submission wrestler were Chris Benoit (known for the crossface, also had the headbutt), Kurt Angle (used the Ankle Lock flawlessly, also had the Angle Slam), Bret Hart (sharpshooter was great, also used a variety of small packages and roll ups) and Ric Flair (had the figure four, could beat you in a variety of ways). Even John Cena pairs his STF with the Attitude Adjustment and CM Punk discontinued his Anaconda Vice to replace it with the GTS. These are prime examples of how a wrestler adds a high-impact move in his arsenal to gain a decisive victory over his opponent and to not make him look weak.

3. Pro-wrestling's biggest screwjobs came from submission holds.
Everyone complains when a wrestler gets screwed in a submission-scenario. It's happened with Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and most recently the Undertaker. It's too easy to bend and break the rules in a matchup while a submission is taking place to allow a victory to swing in the wrong direction. A high-impact finisher is as decisive as you can get, since it's followed up by a legitimate three-count victory that rarely gets disproven.

That should be a good start. Good luck to you, and once again, sorry about the delay!

My opponent has argued that submission finishers take too long to set up, it makes the wrestler's opponent look weak, and the biggest screwjobs have come from them. I am here to tell you that it is okay for them to be the only finishing move for a wrestler.

Submissions get the crowd more involved than a finisher. Let's say Randy Orton and Batista are fighting. The match goes back and forth and the crowd is entertained with every punch and every kick. Then suddenly, Orton hits the RKO out of nowhere and pins Batista for the victory. Suddenly the crowd seems deflated and a dejected feeling comes like it's over just like that.

John Cena and Edge are in a long and grueling match. Edge goes for the spear and is countered by John Cena's STF. The crowd is going wild as they wonder whether good will prevail and Cena will make Edge submit or will evil reign supreme and Edge will find some way to break the hold and eventually get the win. Edge strains to get to the ropes and the crowd is on the edge of their seats. The pain is too much to bear and Edge finally submits. The crowd goes wild as good has overcome evil for one day and the fans leave the arena with a smile on their face.

You can say submissions take too long to set up but it captivates the crowd much longer than a non-submission finisher does. Two of the best wrestlers in WWE history are Chris Benoit and Bret Hart and basically their only finisher was a submission. The Sharpshooter and Crippler Crossface were two of the best finishers in history because of the intensity the wrestlers displayed while applying the hold and of its effectiveness. Others have tried to replicate these as finishers but it just doesn't feel the same.

When Kurt Angle first debuted in the WWE, he started using the Olympic Slam or Angle Slam as it was later called. Then we he started going to the Ankle Lock, he became one of the most feared competitors to step foot in the squared circle. You rarely saw him use the Angle Slam to win matches in the WWE after that, but in TNA it's a different story but that's another discussion entirely.

Submissions have been the intrical part in the biggest screwjobs ever but if the same screwjob happened with a spear or a DDT, would it have had the same effect? It won't and that's why submissions are better overall.

The issue I have about submissions making the opponent weak is that it can make the wrestler applying the hold weak more often that not. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels at WM 21 is regarded as one of the best Wrestlemania matches of all time. What lessened the impact of the match in some people's eyes is that Michaels was in the Ankle Lock for five minutes before finally tapping out. It made Angle look like he couldn't put away Michaels quickly and it could hurt the credibility of his submission hold because the fans will think he can't win with it and he will have to go to something else.

LJL, thanks for the quick response. I've got some catching up to do.

Submissions get the crowd more involved than a finisher. Let's say Randy Orton and Batista are fighting. The match goes back and forth and the crowd is entertained with every punch and every kick. Then suddenly, Orton hits the RKO out of nowhere and pins Batista for the victory. Suddenly the crowd seems deflated and a dejected feeling comes like it's over just like that.

There's just SO much I could say about this paragraph... First of all, LJL's example of a high-impact finisher between Orton and Batista is an extreme circumstance that will most likely never happen during an actual matchup. Superstars' high-impact finishers are normally hit out of nowhere in a few different circumstances in a cookie-cutter type of matchup and gain HUGE crowd pops in the process:

a) A setup move used mostly after a barage of comeback moves that were following a heel's assault on the babyface that took up the majority of the match. (i.e. John Cena's Attitude Adjustment, Batista-Bomb, Pedigree)

b) A quick move used as a shocking surprise to an opponent when it appears that a match is out of reach for the underdog at the time. (i.e. Sweet Chin Music, Trouble in Paradise)

c) During in-ring promo segments. Submissions never work during these angles. When competitors' promos come to blows, it's always a high-impact finisher that becomes the equalizer to gain momentum and end a segment. Submissions are unable to do this.

And make no mistake about it, even though this is a debate, you can't downplay the crowd reaction that a high-impact move gives to a pro-wrestler. To actually say that a crowd feels "deflated and dejected" is a complete exaggeration. If that were the case, high-impact finishers would be ruled out of pro-wrestling completely. However, the greatest wrestlers of all time chose to use high-impact moves as their finishers because of the responses they get from the crowds. Like I mentioned in my previous posts, you think that Hulk Hogan "deflated" a crowd with his Atomic Leg Drop? Or the Rock with his "Rock Bottom"? Or Austin with the "Stone Cold Stunner"? Highly doubtful.

On the other hand, when a superstar tries to use a submission out of nowhere during a match, they have to stop all of the action, set up the move, hold the opponent there for a sufficient amount of time (without downplaying their character's strength in a non-kayfabe sense), and leave a crowd wondering how long it will take them to tap out, even when it's obvious who the winner of the match is going to be. The wrestler will still get a pop for using the move, but that pop doesn't compare to what they'd get if they used a high-impact move. John Cena's Attitude Adjustment gets a larger pop than his STF on most occasions, and this cannot be denied. (Only lately have his submission pops been growing because we just finished a PPV dedicated to submission matchups. This required weeks of building up the mtch with submission scenerios.) Not to mention that submissions are RARELY used in promo segments... as a matter of fact, they have no place in a promo segment. That's because if these segments become physical, the crowd needs to see a superstar use a QUICK move that will debilitate their opponent as a closer to the segment. A submission would just drag out (what is considered most of the time as) an already dragged-out segment of television.

John Cena and Edge are in a long and grueling match. Edge goes for the spear and is countered by John Cena's STF. The crowd is going wild as they wonder whether good will prevail and Cena will make Edge submit or will evil reign supreme and Edge will find some way to break the hold and eventually get the win. Edge strains to get to the ropes and the crowd is on the edge of their seats. The pain is too much to bear and Edge finally submits. The crowd goes wild as good has overcome evil for one day and the fans leave the arena with a smile on their face.

I think we've seen this before, haven't we? Let's face it... only on rare occasions will you see a submission finish to a match that is considered "unique." Your scenerio is absolutely typical of a submission wrestler. And while it may gain some excitement from time to time, that doesn't mean that it should be used as the staple-ending to a match. Since the beginning of the wrestling boom of the 1980's, matches needed endings that left the competitors both looking strong, yet giving them a definitive ending to the matchup. At times and in certain situations, a submission finisher tells the story that is required during a match. However, history shows that the majority of superstars' matches from the past and present have used high-impact moves. That is simply because those moves provide more excitment to a crowd.

Case in point, look at the finish of the HBK vs. Undertaker match from Wrestlemania. Do you REALLY think that match could have been NEARLY as exciting if you substituted submissions instead of high-impact finishers in that match? I think not. And it's now considered one of the greatest Wrestlemania matches of all time.

I challenge you to name me submission finishes that provide more excitement than high-flying finishers such as Evan Bourne's Shooting Star Press, Jeff Hardy's Swanton Bomb, or Randy Savage's Flying Elbowdrop, crowd-pleasing finishers like Kofi's Trouble in Paradise or Hulk Hogan's Atromic Leg Drop, or unique finishers such as Petey Williams's Canadian Destroyer. Not even the top submissions of today's market such as the STF, Hell's Gate, or Ankle Lock can even touch those moves. Therefore, even though they work in some situations, the majority of submission-finishers are expendable.

You can say submissions take too long to set up but it captivates the crowd much longer than a non-submission finisher does. Two of the best wrestlers in WWE history are Chris Benoit and Bret Hart and basically their only finisher was a submission. The Sharpshooter and Crippler Crossface were two of the best finishers in history because of the intensity the wrestlers displayed while applying the hold and of its effectiveness. Others have tried to replicate these as finishers but it just doesn't feel the same.

First of all, Benoit also had his Diving Headbutt as a finishing maneuver. And Bret won many, many classic matches by his use of small packages or slick reversals requiring technical mat wrestling instead of his Sharpshooter (Bret vs Piper, Bret vs Perfect) This cannot be denied and it shows that submission finishers arent as effective as you make them out to be.

Secondly, once a wrestler puts their staple on a move, it's rarely viewed with the same effectiveness when used by someone else. But that goes for ALL moves... not just submissions.

When Kurt Angle first debuted in the WWE, he started using the Olympic Slam or Angle Slam as it was later called. Then we he started going to the Ankle Lock, he became one of the most feared competitors to step foot in the squared circle.

You're saying he wasn't feared before starting to use the ankle lock? If I recall correctly, he won the Intercontinental Championship, European Champion, and the WWE Championship (twice) before he even began using the ankle lock as a finisher. Once again, this proves that his ankle lock is totally expendable in his arsenal.

You rarely saw him use the Angle Slam to win matches in the WWE after that, but in TNA it's a different story but that's another discussion entirely.

Another complete farce. Angle used the Angle Slam almost weekly on episodes of Raw and Smackdown to win his matches. Granted, in many of his more memorable PPV situations he used the ankle lock. However, he was known to be such a dangerous opponent because he had BOTH moves to finish opponents with. This is similar to John Cena, Chris Jericho, the Undertaker, CM Punk, etc. and that is the subject of this debate... whether submissions should be a wrestler's ONLY finisher (at least that's what I got out of it). You chose that a submission should be their only finish. Kurt Angle is a complete contradiction to this because of the facts I just stated.

Submissions have been the intrical part in the biggest screwjobs ever but if the same screwjob happened with a spear or a DDT, would it have had the same effect? It won't and that's why submissions are better overall.

Not true at all. In the case of Bret vs HBK, Hebner rang the bell and ended the match suddenly because he claimed that Bret gave a verbal submission. The same goes for when Mankind submitted to the Rock and when the Undertaker submitted to CM Punk. That's the problem with submission finishers. When applied, there are two ways for the opponent to quit the match... verbally or by tapping out. On the other hand, when it comes to high-impact finishers, you need to execute your move and follow it with a 3-count pinfall. It is the most undeniable and decisive way to gain a victory. A referee can easily lie about an opponent's verbal submission, but after a high-impact finisher, a ref MUST provide a full three-count to prove a victory.

The issue I have about submissions making the opponent weak is that it can make the wrestler applying the hold weak more often that not. Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels at WM 21 is regarded as one of the best Wrestlemania matches of all time. What lessened the impact of the match in some people's eyes is that Michaels was in the Ankle Lock for five minutes before finally tapping out. It made Angle look like he couldn't put away Michaels quickly and it could hurt the credibility of his submission hold because the fans will think he can't win with it and he will have to go to something else.

You're proving my point here. Wrestlers have egos and they never want to appear weak in a matchup. It hurts their credibility. When they tap out to a submission finisher, they look weak. If they apply a submission finisher that someone won't tap out to, it makes THEM look weak.

Now if a wrestler kicks out of a high-impact finisher, it makes that receipient look stronger. But the attacking wrestler would still look strong in this situation because if the receipient kicked out (making them look strong), it makes us believe that it would be shocking if the recipient is able to kick out after that move becuase the high-impact finisher is so strong. For some reason, the same formula doesn't seem to work with submissions. If someone kicks out of a submission finisher, the attacker becomes weak and the recipient stays the same.

With all of this being said, in a nut shell, submissions are a lose-lose situation for a wrestler. However, high-impact moves always provide excitement.

1. If you want a finisher that can come out of nowhere that is a submission, I already told about you about the Crippler Crossface. Sure he uses his diving headbutt but the real finisher doesn't come until five or so minutes after that. The only time I remember him winning with the headbutt is against MVP at Backlash 2006.

2. Ric Flair is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and his finisher is the Figure Four. You still see it today through HHH and HBK. Besides the obvious reasons, people still use the crossface even though it's rarely used to finish matches. People still mark out for the crossface, sharpshooter, figure four, etc.

3. Some of the best Wrestlemania matches have been ended with submissions. Everybody remembers Austin with blood streaming down his face refusing to submit to the Sharpshooter. Everybody remembers Shawn Michaels finally tapping out to Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania 21.

4. There have been some screwjobs that didn't involve submissions. Lest we forget Brock Lesnar/Big Show from Survivor Series 2002. Brock Lesnar hit the F-5 but Heyman pulled the referee out of the ring. Also we can't forget RVD vs. Big Show on ECW. Same scenario happened featuring our good friend Heyman. There have been many screwjobs that have involved finishers as well as submissions.

1. If you want a finisher that can come out of nowhere that is a submission, I already told about you about the Crippler Crossface. Sure he uses his diving headbutt but the real finisher doesn't come until five or so minutes after that. The only time I remember him winning with the headbutt is against MVP at Backlash 2006.

Once again, Benoit's Crossface was quite devastating, but the point of my previous post was to prove that these submissions are expendable. Even though he finished most of his opponents with the Crossface, he still could have used the headbutt instead and would have won his matches. Otherwise, why would he have the headbutt in his arsenal? It just goes to show that wrestlers pair their submission finishers with high-impact finishers because the submissions always need a backup. That's what makes them so expendable. If submission finishers were so devastating and effective, then why have another move in your arsenal that could finish off an opponent? Why not use only the submission? Wrestlers with only high-impact finishers only need the one move in their arsenal. It proves that submission finishers need a crutch.

2. Ric Flair is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time and his finisher is the Figure Four. You still see it today through HHH and HBK. Besides the obvious reasons, people still use the crossface even though it's rarely used to finish matches. People still mark out for the crossface, sharpshooter, figure four, etc.

But Flair, as great as he was/is, began using this move back back in the 1970's. He's a prime example of "out with the old, in with the new." Ric Flair is in his late 50's and is over the hill. There is no need for him to change his finisher anymore since he is retired. But many of today's relevant wrestlers have replaced their submission finishers with high-impact finishers (like CM Punk and William Regal.) That's because they're catching up with the times and realize that submissions take a backburner to high-impact moves in terms of popularity, crowd pops, and devastation to their opponents.

3. Some of the best Wrestlemania matches have been ended with submissions. Everybody remembers Austin with blood streaming down his face refusing to submit to the Sharpshooter. Everybody remembers Shawn Michaels finally tapping out to Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania 21.

First off, technically, Austin was screwed at Wrestlemania 13. He never actually submitted to the sharpshooter. This can be thrown in my "screwjob" category, as far as I'm concerned. Therefore, it further proves how controversial submission finishers can be. Sure, a submission is good to use in specified situations. Obviously, Austin vs. Hart didn't give us much of a choice... there was a submission stipulation put on the match. Someone HAD to use a submission as their finisher. That is the exception to the rule and it is why wrestlers should keep a submission in their back pocket. But it doesn't make it a better finisher for them. There is too much room for error when using it. Like I explained earlier, submissions cause two different ways for a wrestler to be defeated (or in Austin's case, three) with one of them being extremely flawed... the verbal submission. Now, if Bret used a piledriver and pinned Austin for a three-count, we wouldn't be sitting here wondering if Austin truly should have lost that match.

As for other WM match submission endings, they are so few and far between. They are only used because without differentiation, we'd all be bored of the same finishes. That's why some matches end in countout... some end in disqualification... some end in a no contest.

Also, not every wrestler uses their "finishing move" to end great matches. So, adding to your point (except using it to clarify my point further), submissions should be used in a wrestler's arsenal, but shouldn't be their finishing maneuver. Just like in Wrestlemania III when Savage and Steamboat had their classic match, neither wrestler needed their high-impact finisher to end the match in classic fashion. It ended with a roll-up pin. It goes to show that wrestlers can use many moves in their arsenal to defeat their opponents. But they should stick to the high-impact moves that result in a pinfall to be labeled as their "finishing maneuver".

4. There have been some screwjobs that didn't involve submissions. Lest we forget Brock Lesnar/Big Show from Survivor Series 2002. Brock Lesnar hit the F-5 but Heyman pulled the referee out of the ring. Also we can't forget RVD vs. Big Show on ECW. Same scenario happened featuring our good friend Heyman. There have been many screwjobs that have involved finishers as well as submissions.

First of all, ANY match can end in a screwjob. (Just take a look at what just happened between Orton and Cena at Summerslam.) Refs have been pulled out of the ring while a submission was locked onto an opponent, and the same endings have occurred as you just previously stated. The difference is that high-impact finishers aren't screwjobbed AS MUCH AS submission finishers. Besides pulling a referree out of a ring or other kinds of outside interference, a high-impact move isn't as susceptible to controvery as a submission. There's no way to "fake" a pinfall like there is to "fake" a verbal submission or a tapout. It just makes submission endings looked flawed.

Another point I forgot to add... With straight-up matches (the same as in sports like mixed martial arts) a submission would have a place from time to time. But in the world of pro-wrestling and gimmick matches, submissions have no place. Wrestlers try to end the story they tell in their matches by knocking out their opponent to gain victory based on the match's stipulation. Just name me one time that a ladder match was won with the victor grabbing the belt after a submission was put on their opponent. Or how about a steel cage matchup (with no pinfall/submission rules applied) ending after an opponent was left to lie in a ring after a submission was applied. What about a hardcore match? Or a falls count anywhere match?

In closing, high-impact finishers have ruled this industry since the early 1980's. They have always been the equalizer for providing a definitive match ending for our audience. When a wrestler is pinned, whether controversial or not, a crowd is satisfied. They never leave an event wondering what the hell hapened. The majority of matches put on by wrestling organizations cater to high-impact finishers. Submissions are just a speed bump. It's pointless to use a submission as your only finishing maneuver... there are too many odds stacked against you if you do.

Clarity: Dman gets this point. He usually makes for a nice clean debate, and it is the reason he usually gets this point.

Punctuality: LJL knew this point was coming to him.

Emotion: close point here. Dman showed better emotion than I usually see from him, and LJL showed his best side in this debate, although lately he has been great. I am giving it to you LJL, as I see you really fought for it here.

Information: LJL brought the best infor for his debate, and since you both argued similar lines, he held up his info well.

Pursuasion: Typically the people that put forth the best emotion and information win this point, but not this time. Dman pusuaded me using his superior raw debating skills.

TM rates this 3 points LJL 2 points Dman.

Clarity: D-Man had his set up like always, very clear and concise.

Point: The D-Man

Punctuality: What TM said.

Point: Little Jerry Lawler

Informative: Both presented some strong information. I think D-Man came out with some better facts overall though.

Emotionality: Both seemed into it, showing good emotion. Neither really outshined the other with their emotion though.

Point: Split

Persuasion: I'm a guy that loves submission finishers. When I would see Benoit lock on the Crossface, or Jericho with the Walls of Jericho, or watching clips of Bret and him locking in the Sharpshooter, I would mark out like a mofo. But D-Man convinced me that even though they were maybe the primary finisher, there was always another way to get a win, be it Benoit's headbutt, Jericho had the Lionsault or now the Codebreaker, Hart had a roll up. There was another move to get a win rather than a submission.

CH David scores this D-Man 3.5, Little Jerry Lawler 1.5.

Clarity: D-Man as usual takes the cake in this one

Punctuality: Little Jerry Lawler

Informative: Little Jerry Lawler provided the most info I thought

Emotionality: Split because I couldnt pick a winner

Persuasion: I thought D-Man had the most convincing argument

Miko scores this round

The D-Man - 2.5
Little Jerry Lawler - 2.5

Clarity Of Argument - Nicely done, D-Man.

Point: D-Man

Punctuality - Little Jerry Lawler gets the point here.

Informative - Both of you guys brought in a lot of information. If I could give a point for effort, I'd give it to you, D-Man, as you went out of your way to do research. But, even though he had the easier task, Little Jerry Lawler came in as prepared as anyone could be.

Emotionality - Little Jerry Lawler always gets this point when he believes in something he's arguing for. Good job, man.

Persuasion - You both made very persuasive cases. And, both of you prepared very well for your debates. I have to split this point as well.

tdigle's Score

D-Man - 2
Little Jerry Lawler - 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo