• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WEC 48: Nobody's Paying $50 For This LD

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
k3vclw.jpg

Main card

• Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Urijah Faber
  • Lightweight Championship bout: Ben Henderson (c) vs. Donald Cerrone
  • Featherweight bout: Mike Brown vs. Manvel Gamburyan
  • Lightweight bout: Anthony Njokuani vs. Shane Roller
  • Bantamweight bout: Antonio Banuelos vs. Scott Jorgensen

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

• Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung
  • Lightweight bout: Alex Karalexis vs. Anthony Pettis

Don't get me wrong, the WEC deserves to be shown on PPV. The fighters are a lot of fun to watch, and extremely talented. However, the problem is that not many people know what the WEC is... and those that do know what it is usually watch it on Versus, and they're not likely to shell out $50 for what is perceived to be an inferior product. They're still known as the UFC's "little brother"... and people aren't going to want to spend full price on that, especially with the oversaturation of PPV cards we've had and will get from Zuffa.

Either way, we have a Spike TV card from 9-10, and we might get some people watching for that at least. I'll probably watch the PPV, because I don't feel like going out, so I'll be here for that too. My only question is if anyone else will be.

Here's a gif of the Featherweight Champion, Jose Aldo, displaying a brutal flying knee KO:

15r00hw.gif

Anthony Njokuani's fighting on this card too, and he's responsible for something that still makes me laugh to this day:

f027wh.gif

Oh, and here's a brutal choke from Scott Jorgensen:

r2v6.gif

That's the thing, the WEC is FULL of talented fighters. And it sucks seeing someone get paid a $12,000 base because that's all the WEC can afford... they deserve so much more. At the same time, the WEC and their fighters are virtual unknowns, and charging full price for this PPV really was a bad idea. Dana said he's going to start promoting the promotion more, but he should have been doing that years ago. If it built up a following, then you absolutely could shell out the $50 for this without feeling any kind of apprehension at all.

So join us here at 9:00.

I won't buy the PPV, but if there was any part of me that was considering it, this fight between Jung and Garcia would make me buy it.

This fight has been AWESOME! Not exactly a smart fight, or even that technical, from either man, but it's pretty damn entertaining. It's right up there with Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin.

I just hope the last 5 minutes are as good as the first 5 was. Like I said, I'd put it up there with Griffin vs. Bonnar.

If I was there, I'd start that chant.

I have to give it to Jung. Could go either way though. I just think Jung hit a few more times.

Goddammit. I wanted the Korean Zombie to win.

GREAT fight though. One of the most action packed I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, agree with you two. VERY fun fucking fight between Leonard Garcia and Chan Sung Jung, and could be end up being the Bonnar/Griffin for WEC. It'll be interesting to see how much ratings went up during that fight, and how many pay-per-views were brought right after it was over.

Yeah, agree with you two. VERY fun fucking fight between Leonard Garcia and Chan Sung Jung, and could be end up being the Bonnar/Griffin for WEC. It'll be interesting to see how much ratings went up during that fight, and how many pay-per-views were brought right after it was over.
The biggest problem is there was no advertising or build-up for it. WEC will have to promote that fight, like UFC does for many of its fights.

Hell of a fight though.

Loving how Manny seems to be finally realizing his potential.

This is a great little fight too right now. Dana needs to promote the shit out of the WEC.

Here's a question, and I can't decide if I should turn it into a thread.

WEC, for all intents and purposes, is still the Zuffa "B" level MMA show. UFC PPVs draw between 600,000 and 1.1 million buys, depending upon the card.

If WEC pulls 300,000 PPV buys tonight, is it:

A) A success for WEC/Zuffa?

B) An embarrassment for professional wrestling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back