WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion, First Round: (13) Goldberg vs. (20) Jimmy Snuka

Who wins this match?

• Goldberg

• Jimmy Snuka

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Greensboro Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina.

greensboro_coliseum2.jpg

goldberg3.jpg

#13. Goldberg

Vs.

wwf-snuka-real.jpg

#20. Jimmy Snuka

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Jimmy Snuka is at a rather large disadvantage here - Goldberg is fresh. This isn't the third or fourth round, it's the first. I can't name many wrestlers (maybe five or ten) who would take Goldberg out in the first round. Unfortunately for Mr. Superfly, he isn't one of 'em.

Goldberg wins in about seven minutes.

Spear, Jackhammer good night. Goldberg is walking away with this one. The way this man was booked in his time there is no way he goes out in the first round

Goldberg would kill a good amount of the guys in this tournament thanks to the dominant fashion in which he was booked. Never was a fan of the guy but he's a wrecking machine. You'd need to be a legitimate main event wrestler to be able to take this man out in his prime. Snuka's a perennial midcarder.

Spear & Jackhammer are good for the pin in a short match.

Jimmys high flying and agility won't do him good here, Goldberg will stop him dead in his tracks. Goldberg picks up the win easily in this first round squash match.

As much as I like Jimmy Snuka, he is the kind of wrestler that was fed to Goldberg in order to gain credibility. Goldberg would end this match very quickly, Superfly unfortunately doesn't stand a chance.

Goldberg goes to the next round.

Not the biggest fan of either(more Goldberg then Superfly), but Goldberg is a wrecking machine. Superfly start's the match of with speed, but countered with a couple of big power moves right into a Spear followed by The Jackhammer 1-2-3 Goldberg advances in a mere four minutes and seventeen seconds.

Superfly is going bye bye. There's just no way that Jimmy Snuka wins this. Goldberg will flat out decimate Snuka inside of 5 minutes.

I was never a big fan of Goldberg but the guy was a dominant force in WCW. He became a bigger name in 2 years than Jimmy Snuka ever was in 20.

Jimmy Snuka is at a rather large disadvantage here - Goldberg is fresh. This isn't the third or fourth round, it's the first. I can't name many wrestlers (maybe five or ten) who would take Goldberg out in the first round. Unfortunately for Mr. Superfly, he isn't one of 'em.

Agree. As much as I love Snuka, Goldberg has too much momentum out the gate. It would be a big match, but it's a squash match. Pin after a jackhammer.

I was never a big fan of Goldberg but the guy was a dominant force in WCW. He became a bigger name in 2 years than Jimmy Snuka ever was in 20.

I think this is a bit harsh. Snuka was hugely popular in the early 80s, and possibly the most over person ever who is totally useless on the mic, but it's not enough. Goldberg was an absolute beast, and although he'll probably end up being eliminated by someone more recent that's far worse than Snuka, I'm certain that he'd dominate here.

There's only a small handful of guys in the history of wrestling that you could say were booked better than Goldberg. Even when both he and Lesnar were flying out of the WWE doors, it was he who got the victory over the guy WWE thought would push them through for years. Not forgetting his undefeated streak either, Jimmy Snuka might not last too long in this one.

If it was booked in WCW then it would be a cakewalk. If it was booked in WWE, it would be a 10 minute affair with Goldberg winning in typical vivacious style. Goldberg may have been an unsafe worker at times, certainly, but he was also massively athletic and also had a better technical side than most people will ever see or realize. That's before even delving into his incredible strength, uncanny for his size. Even if Goldberg wasn't the golden boy of WCW for a time, I would probably still put him over Snuka, because Goldberg was from a viewing perspective, crazy awesome.

Goldberg.

Snuka's an aggressive fella and could give Goldberg some trouble, but the only memorable match Snuka had ended in a DQ. Which would put Goldberg over no matter what. Instead Goldberg will take this one in about 6 minutes with spear and jackhammer. And lots of pyro.

I think a lot of people are remembering Jimmy Snuka from the early 90s rather than his prime ten years earlier. Not that it matters much because Goldberg would take out the Superfly of the 80s too. He would just need a bit more time. Either way Goldberg is too much of a force for Snuka to handle. The aerial assault (which isn't all that impressive during Goldberg's era) isn't going to help the Superfly here.

Regardless of whether it's '80s or '90s Snuka, I doubt Goldberg would allow him the time to fully get going. Snuka might be a high flyer, but Goldberg is one of the fastest big wrestlers there's been. Goldberg wins quickly here.

Yh i mean, I don't like Snuka much. He was ok in the early 80s and mostly a sack of crap in the late 80s-90s. When he first came into the WWF he was a big deal and legitimate draw and main eventer. Right through to his feud with Piper, the guy was on the cusp of breaking through to a WWF title win imo.

Ofc, it could be argued that he was the Umaga of the time. Especially when playing a heel, it could of just been a typical monster push from a guy that had something unique - a willingness to originate big spots. Hard to guess retrospectively.

I'd concern myself more on it but this is irrelevant. Goldberg just destroys souls and crushes main eventers with far more credible careers than Snuka. To an extent they were both an attraction rather than a top star, but Goldberg actually went somewhere and reached the top.

Plus, this is in WCW, bang smack in Goldberg's back yard. Tbh it doesn't matter if it was in Snuka's granddads house while Mama Snuka was belting Goldberg with a frying pan, Goldberg would still spear and jackhammer the entire Snuka family.

I personally feel that Jimmy Snuka was a greater wrestler than Goldberg.

He was more well rounded in the ring, more entertaining on the mic (in a bad way) and in the ring, and he has one of the most memorable finishers ever. And he was an innovator. And also, something that people forget is that Snuka was a good draw who was massively over for a brief period of time (1981-1984 ish), much like Goldberg actually. Snuka was the top babyface (really even over Backlund) from about 1983 to early 1984 before Hulk Hogan showed up. So I'm sure that many will throw the "Goldberg was a way bigger star" card out in this match, but when comparing the two, Snuka was probably as big for his time as Goldberg was for his.

With that said, kayfabe wise, Goldberg would crush Snuka. I don't think Snuka would've even gotten the chance to hit his Superfly splash, and without that, Snuka wouldn't have had anything else to beat Goldberg with.

Spear, growl, then the Jackhammer. 1-2-3. Goldberg advances to Round 2.

Not many wrestlers could take out a fresh Goldberg, he dominated anyone and everyone who crossed his path during his WCW career, even pinning Hogan to win the belt.

To me, that indicates that Jimmy Snuka wouldn't have been the guy to stop Big Bill, and he would have ended up just like everyone else...broken in half with a spear and then slammed into the canvas with the Jackhammer. Snuka was good, but Goldberg was a phenomenon for a time and in his WCW backyard he was unstoppable.

Goldberg was a monster of a man, incredibly strong and explosive. Snuka had the body, but not the tools to get this job done against Goldberg.

A quick Goldberg win here.

Since there is no cage to jump off of and no stipulation involving Scott Hall or a taser then Goldberg likely lays waste to Snuka here.

Snuka couldn't get the gold off of Backlund, there is no reason to believe he could've of slowed an in his prime and streaking Bill Goldberg.

No major titles, famous for doing a spectacular move after a match he lost and spent the best days of his career failing to win feuds... I'm actually surprised at Snuka's high ranking.

Strictly speaking, Jimmy's greatest period would be his feud with Bob Backlund over the WWF (which he lost). Goldberg steamrolled the guy hand picked by Vince Jnr to replace him at the first time of asking... after defeating Scott Hall in the same night.

Squash... who's next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back