Who Wins This Matchup?

• AJ Styles

• Jeff Jarrett

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Boston Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at TD Garden Arena in Boston, Massachusetts.

td-garden-10.jpeg

file_186789_2_aj-styles%281%29.jpg

#12. AJ Styles

Vs.

39Jarrett.jpg

#21. Jeff Jarrett

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

The progression of TNA.

Jeff Jarett was the man to lead the company when he had more control and say in it and when they were trying to establish themselves.

AJ Styles was the man who, previously unknown, was decided to take it to the next level, being the man at a period many think was TNA best, in about 2009 prior to the Hogan-Bischoff expressway rolling through.

Jarrett has only been over in lull periods. AJ has been poised to be the guy to lead TNA on two separate occassions with massive unanimous support.

i'm giving this to someone I think is one of the best workers of all time. No, Jeff, that aint you.

AJ Styles fought his way to the top of TNA, Jarrett put himself there. Nobody gives a shit when Jarrett leaves TNA, when Styles did it was seen as a death knell. AJ Styles is more entertaining than Jarrett and probably better in most of the tangible comparables. There's a tendency to over inflate AJ's worth in these tournaments, but not today, Styles wins.

Jeff Jarrett is a house of cards. All of his title reigns were when promotions were either dying, being ran by his dad, or himself. Could Jarrett work in the ring? Yes. Could he draw a dime? Not if his life depended on it. Not even in Memphis. Not anywhere.

Jarrett was basically given the WCW WHC because of paying his dues as a wrestler. Not because he could carry WCW over the top.

AJ Styles makes TNA relevant. When I think of TNA, I think of AJ Styles. When I think of Jarrett, I think of his belt whipping at the hands of Tojo Yamomoto, his chippendale outfits in both WWF and WCW, and his goofy guitar. Never strummed the damn thing the entire time he carried it to the ring. He just hit people with it.

Also he dropped his IC title to a girl.

AJ wins with a Styles Clash.

Pop Quiz...

What do AJ Styles' first three career world title wins have in common?

Answer: They all came as a result of beating Jeff Jarrett to claim the title.

And that was a mid-20s AJ who was still only scratching the surface of how great he was. Styles and Jarrett have the amount of head-to-head history that is somewhat rare in the first round of this tournament, and that history favors AJ clearly.

If this wasn't the promotion Jarrett co-founded, he doesn't book himself to the top. AJ fought tooth and nail through the X-Division into title contention, and wound up a five-time Heavyweight champion, the first three over Jeff Jarrett himself. Kurt Angle aside, he's the most accomplished wrestler in TNA history when you factor in his six X-division title reigns, and his six Tag Team Championships as well.

They can wrestle under any 'style' they want here, but Jeff Jarrett was never more then a glorified mid-carder who had a cup of main-event coffee(WCW) in any promotion but his own. Styles was the face of TNA until Hogan and Bischoff arrived, and his loss from the company hurts TNA far worse then Jarrett's ever did.

This is as far as Styles should go, but he beats Jarrett here. He has the experience in doing so in big matches, which is what this is. Styles to advance.

Jarrett was(is, does he still actively wrestle?) pretty good in the ring, and was okay on the mic. He has one major drawback though. No one really gave a shit. In pro wrestling that is pretty much a death sentence. He couldn't get to the top in WWE/F, couldn't get to the top in a healthy WCW, so he had to go out and start his own company to get to the top, and now he doesn't even own said company. His four title reigns in WCW lasted a combined 48 days. I've had longer streaks of not jacking it. By comparison, Scott fucking Steiner had a 120 day reign. Steiner's run does an egg on Jarret. Besides, look at that shirt. Are you gonna vote for a guy in that shirt?

220px-Jarrett.jpg

Sure, calling someone slapnuts is hilarious, but AJ Styles is AJ Styles. Yeah, his accent is too think on the mic, but he carried TNA on his back for the longest time. AJ will never have any business winning this tourney, but he deserves to go over Jarret.

Tasty nailed this match spot-on. Although Jarrett started TNA, he put himself in the position of top guy. Jarrett was a horrible draw, regardless of which company or territory he was working for.

AJ Styles busted his ass, and he worked his way to the top. AJ is way more entertaining to me, and he's one of the first people I think of whenever TNA is mentioned. He's quick, has great cardio, and he has the necessary tools/moves to put down Jarrett for good.

Styles to the next round, but unfortunately, I don't think he's going much further in this tournament.

I don't mean to bash Jarrett here but, lets be honest, he's a midcarder whose overachieved. I don't think he should've ever won the WCW World Title and that just shows how well they were run. Then he was co founder of TNA, so of course he used that power to put himself at top. AJ Styles, is right next to Samoas Joe, as the best TNA originals EVER! TNA still feels weird now that he's gone. I don't think AJ makes it past the third round of this tourney, but he's definitely going to round two. I am, I am, voting for AJ Styles. HA! I am so damn punny!

AJ is the number one guy in Impact history imo and Jarrett's career seems to be something Impact wants to forget about and stay as far away from as they possibly can. AJ goes over in another match against Jarrett

Winner- AJ Styles with a styles clash

I didn't hate Jarrett as much as most seem to, but he doesn't win this match. AJ Styles was the face of TNA. I don't that will get him much farther in the tournament, but it gets him over Jarrett. AJ Styles to the next round.

Wow, I didn't think this was going to be such a blowout. I'm not going help make it any closer. It wasn't as easy of a decision as the poll indicates but I'm picking AJ. Jarrett was on top of TNA for a long time. Of course people see that as being tainted since he ran the company. Besides and maybe including himself AJ Styles was the top guy in TNA for most of the company's existence. I think if Jarrett was willing to book AJ to beat him so many times in his own company AJ would get the win in the first round of this tournament.

Wow. Such hatred for Jarrett even though he's the man responsible for AJ's success. Yeah, Jarrett booked himself as TNA's top star. But let's be honest. Besides AJ, just who else was supposed to carry TNA? Scott Hall? Ron Killing? Bryan Christopher?

Jarrett spared AJ from burning out as TNA's top star too fast and exposing himself as not being too good on the stick. Letting him have the magnificent matches he would end up having with Samoa Joe, Abyss, LAX, Chris Daniels and such until the advents of Sting and Kurt Angle. Yeah, Jarrett was never quite the big draw and it seems as though he hit his peak really late. But the man is nowhere near the self absorbed guy everyone seems to claim. Jarrett is the prime reason AJ Styles is perhaps the second biggest star to not have worked for WWE behind Sting (he had some tryout, yeah. But who gives a shit?) and for that, I respect him.

I'm still voting for AJ though. It's what Jarrett would want.

Jeff Jarrett isn't a bad wrestler, he is a solid mid-card talent and always has been. He's only held the World Title because he was friends with the booker, or owned the company. He isn't on the level of AJ Styles who in my mind is one of the most talented men in the business. If only Styles was better on the mic, then he would have been a top-level star in WWE, his in-ring ability is better than almost anyone in the world.

The simple fact is, AJ Styles is better than Jeff Jarrett. He's beaten him 3x for the World Title...what better example is there than that?

AJ Styles is my favorite flip flap man in the business. If there's anyone that can do a flippy flip, it was Styles. I mean seriously, he even flipped on his drop kicks! The only advantage Jeff has over Styles is they're in WCW where Jeff could attempt to sway his friends to put him over AJ, but even Vince Russo isn't stupid enough to let AJ job to J-E Double F J-A-Double-R, E-Double-T!

I don't mean to bash Jarrett here but, lets be honest, he's a midcarder whose overachieved.

What is Styles if not a mid-carder? If Jarrett is one then so is Styles. Styles is an upper card talent who's flirted with having the top spot.

Jarrett might've booked himself to the top in TNA, but on some occasions he booked Styles to the top as well. Neither of them draw, so that comparison can be ignored.

Jarrett, as a headline talent, would do whatever he could to win. And in WCW & TNA he was a winner.

Their primes clash, so this is really easy to analyse.

10 wins for AJ, 8 for Jarrett. This tournament would be the biggest encounter they have though, so it's right to look at the results when it mattered the most. Their results in title matches - Jarrett retains the strap in their first match. in their second, Jarrett took the title off AJ. Third, jarrett defended Vs AJ. 4th - jeff dropped the title vs AJ. 5th - jeff defended title vs AJ. 6th - jeff dropped the title to AJ (their most famous match). 7th - AJ retained the title. Overall - 4 wins for Jeff, 3 wins for AJ.. with AJ winning the biggest match and the feud overall.

That's enough for me. It's the usual nature of faces to chase the top heels before being established as the best. That certainly seems the pattern here, with Jarrett being booked dominantly at first before AJ gets the win with the biggest exposure and continues to dominate after. AJ Styles is the right choice to advance and once again it's on him to carry the flag for TNA in the tournament. I'm not expecting him to get past Foley, nor would I want him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back