Who Wins This Matchup?

• Rob Van Dam

• Rick Rude

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Boston Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at TD Garden Arena in Boston, Massachusetts.

td-garden-10.jpeg

RVD2.jpeg

#13. Rob Van Dam

Vs.

vlcsnap-2011-12-19-09h50m20s185.png

#20. Rick Rude

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Both of these were perennial midcarders who had career defining wins against unstoppable uberfaces - Cena for RVD and Warrior for Rude. Both were big in two promotions, and although Rude's were bigger RVD was the champion in one of his, albeit briefly. Both have bitching ring attire that is unique to them, with RVD's graffiti thing and Rude's tights with his opponents face on. It's a very closely run thing, and in reality these two are probably in the same echelon of wrestling credibility. So I'm going on personal preference, and for me that's Rick Rude who is probably one of my favourite stars of the 80s.

Rude takes this one. Rude beat both Warrior AND Sting in their heyday and beat them for major titles. Even with help, a win over Warrior during his prime was a helluva accomplishment. So was beating Sting during the early 90's in WCW.

RVD's biggest win was beating John Cena at an ECW PPV that was so stacked in RVD's favor, that he would have had to get stoned and forget to come to the ring to not win that match. Other than that, RVD's had some solid matches against decent opponents.

Overall, they're both mid-card wrestlers, but Rude was the better one.

Simply Ravishing OW!

The seeding looks reversed here doesn't it? I guess that doesn't really matter. Rude would get the win here. If this was in the ECW Arena or the Hammerstein Ballroom I would consider voting RVD. Without the home field advantage RVD becomes a lot more ordinary. Rude scored wins over The Ultimate Warrior, Sting, and Ric Flair during their primes. I think he can handle RVD.

When I think of career midcarders who deserved to go higher, Rude is right at the top of my list. The guy had it all.
As for RVD, I've never understood the love he gets. To me, he is a less talented Rey Mysterio. A spot-monkey with no real psychology, that isn't all that smooth in-ring.

I see this as a slow dissection by Rude. He viciously takes out RVD's legs and this match is as good as over right there.

I'm with Tastycles in that I don't think either guy stands out here. Both probably achieved similar levels of success although RVD is probably more decorated for it.

On one hand you have RVD, who has one of the most individual movesets of anybody going and is an innovator which has bought him a good career beyond ECW, something few guys can attest to. It's earnt him longevity, but you can't score him over Rude because of the injury he sustained.

Rick Rude, on the other hand, is one of the guys like Scott Hall, like Jake Roberts for who's achievements history will mostly neglect. Guys that were more talented than their rap sheet will show. Rick Rude could've been one of the top guys in either company in the early 90s, instead of a Del Rio-like upper midcarder.

I'm not going to feel good whoever I leave out Technically it might just be Van Dam's match to lose if you take it all into account. But I won't feel guilty for letting Rude win this and adding a bit more flavour to the tournament.

In WWE, RVD and Rude were both mid-card talents. RVD has an innovative and exciting wrestling style, and he was one of ECW's top hands. He gets good crowd reaction from his signature moves(rolling thunder, split-legged moonsault, 5 star frog splash).

Rude is arguably one of the best heels ever. He had an awesome finisher, as the Rude Awakening had such snap for a neckbreaker. Rude was cunning, and in typical heel fashion, he would do whatever it took to come out victorious. As it's been previously mentioned, Rude has wins over Warrior, Flair, and Sting.

Rude takes this match. Much of my vote is personal preference, but Rude has higher profile wins also. Rude would slowly dissect RVD and hit the Rude Awakening at an opportune time.

I do love me some RVD, but how can you side with him against Rick Rude?

Rude has beaten some of the best, at their best & has been one of the greatest heels ever to walk the aisle. RVD has been a good hand, but the only big win he really has was with home field advantage & a bit of help. Give him credit for some lengthy ECW runs, but remember big fish in a small pond.

Rude was a big fish in a few big ponds beating Warrior, Flair, Sting, etc. That is damn impressive. Rude wins this.

This is a rather interesting matchup, considering they're both "Paul Heyman guys" (Rude in WCW and RVD in ECW and WWE). I would've thought they'd be seeded much closer together since they're probably at the same level. Both guys are pretty good, but Rude is clever and sneaky and would find a way to win against RVD.

Man, RVD would kick Rude's ass from pillar-to-post.

Rude was never a tough guy... he was a cowadice ladies man who was fun to watch. Sure he looked great and talked a big game, but could he back it up? Most of the time, not. And he never stepped in there with a guy like Mr. Monday Night, The Whole Fuckin' Show, Rob Van Dam.

All this mid-card talk shit is just that... shit. Rob carried ECW on his back for almost 3 years. He actually won the WWE Championship. He main evented multiple pay-per-views and has wins over some of the biggest names in the history of the business. Can Rude say he accomplished any of this? No, he can't, so please, spare the both were midcarders crap.

They're both Hall of Fame worthy wrestlers and I love Rick Rude, I really do, but he wasn't anywhere near the wrestler RVD was, and in kayfabe, RVD would have beaten the shit out of him.

Man, RVD would kick Rude's ass from pillar-to-post.

Yeah, maybe for a little while before Rude beat him.

Rude was never a tough guy...

I thought he was pretty tough. I think a lot of people did.

he was a cowadice ladies man who was fun to watch. Sure he looked great and talked a big game, but could he back it up? Most of the time, not

He backed it up quite often in his WCW days.

And he never stepped in there with a guy like Mr. Monday Night, The Whole Fuckin' Show, Rob Van Dam

He's been in the ring with and beaten better.

All this mid-card talk shit is just that... shit. Rob carried ECW on his back for almost 3 years.

Carried it straight into bankruptcy

He actually won the WWE Championship.

The most embarrassing championship failure ever.

He main evented multiple pay-per-views and has wins over some of the biggest names in the history of the business. Can Rude say he accomplished any of this?

As a matter of fact he can.

They're both Hall of Fame worthy wrestlers and I love Rick Rude, I really do, but he wasn't anywhere near the wrestler RVD was, and in kayfabe, RVD would have beaten the shit out of him.

I'm not sure where RVD got the tough guy reputation from. I enjoyed watching him but I think Rude was the tougher and more skilled wrestler. RVD was better with weapons and high flying. I give the advantage to Rude here.

RVD wasn't a tough guy, he was put with Sabu because they had exact opposite styles. Actually most of RVD's build came because he was the king of flamboyance and being an ass in ECW. RVD was never the great hardcore guy, he was the more skilled guy in most of his matches, and while good he was a failure at best.

Rude would've beat RVD in this match mostly because he was better in almost every single way.

Winner: Rude with a rude awakening

In WWE, RVD and Rude were both mid-card talents.

Even if we operate under this theory...

"Mid-card talent A" had one IC title reign in the WWE, and no other titles.

"Mid-card talent B" had six IC title reigns, plus three tag title reigns with three different partners. Oh, and he won the WWE title, and beat the top guy in the company to do it.

Vote "Mid-card talent B"(that's Van Dam if you jumped straight to this part).

Both of these were perennial midcarders who had career defining wins against unstoppable uberfaces - Cena for RVD and Warrior for Rude. Both were big in two promotions, and although Rude's were bigger RVD was the champion in one of his, albeit briefly. Both have bitching ring attire that is unique to them, with RVD's graffiti thing and Rude's tights with his opponents face on. It's a very closely run thing, and in reality these two are probably in the same echelon of wrestling credibility. So I'm going on personal preference, and for me that's Rick Rude who is probably one of my favourite stars of the 80s.

I agree with this 100%, except my personal preferance is for Rob Van Dam, so that's why he got my pick. Rude and RVD were never top guys, they were always the level below, solid upper mid-carders who occasionally got the big win, and as Tasty said they are probably "in the same echelon of wrestling credibility". The one other thing in Van Dam's favour is that he has faced wrestlers with a similar style to Rude, while the "Ravishing One" will never have been up against anybody like an in-prime Rob Van Dam, who seemed to create new moves every week.

This would be a very close one, but the one-of-a-kind in-ring style, and my own love of RVD means he gets my vote in this one.

Winner: Rob Van Dam

Yeah, maybe for a little while before Rude beat him.

In dreamland, sure. In kayfabe reality, I don't think so, BROTHER.

I thought he was pretty tough. I think a lot of people did.

Sure he was tough. but his character wasn't. He was a coward.

He backed it up quite often in his WCW days.

Not really. He always needed to cheat in order to win. That shit wouldn't work against an ECW legend vet like RVD though. There's a reason Rick Rude only had a cup of coffee in ECW. ;)

He's been in the ring with and beaten better.

Really? Better than Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime? Better than The Rock in his prime? Unless you show me where he beat Hulk Hogan, then you don't have an argument here.

Carried it straight into bankruptcy

No, RVD headlining shows drew the biggest crowds ECW ever got, that's a fact.

The most embarrassing championship failure ever.

But he still got there though. Did Rude ever get there? Nope.

As a matter of fact he can.

No, he couldn't. Rude couldn't kick out of Warrior's little splash, how would he be able to kick out of the 5 Star Frogsplash?

I'm not sure where RVD got the tough guy reputation from. I enjoyed watching him but I think Rude was the tougher and more skilled wrestler. RVD was better with weapons and high flying. I give the advantage to Rude here.

RVD's been apart of some of the most violent matches ever, that's where the tough guy reputation comes from. Not to mention he has victories over some of the toughest guys in the history of pro wrestling as well. Not to mention his Kickboxing skills are legitimate with those educated feet of his. Right leg like went to Yale, left leg went to Harvard, son. :robvandam:

Like has already been mentioned, Rude beat Flair, Sting, and Warrior in their primes. I always liked Van Dam, and if this was a Hardcore match I might give it to RVD. Rude has too many big wins to lose to RVD in round one of this tournamnet. Rick Rude gets the win and moves to the second round.

Sure he was tough. but his character wasn't. He was a coward.

I don't remember Rude being a coward. He was legit.

Not really. He always needed to cheat in order to win. That shit wouldn't work against an ECW legend vet like RVD though. There's a reason Rick Rude only had a cup of coffee in ECW. ;)

So it would work against a WWF legend and vet, an NWA legend and vet, and a WCW legend and vet, but not an ECW legend and vet? Why not?

Really? Better than Stone Cold Steve Austin in his prime? Better than The Rock in his prime? Unless you show me where he beat Hulk Hogan, then you don't have an argument here.

Rude beat Warrior, Flair, and Sting in their primes. That works for me. I may be wrong but I don't think RVD beat Rock in his prime except for a hardcore match with a ton of weapons and interference.

No, RVD headlining shows drew the biggest crowds ECW ever got, that's a fact.

So how many fans did the bingo hall hold anyway?

But he still got there though. Did Rude ever get there? Nope.

Rude beat Flair for the NWA title and didn't embarrass himself by blowing a golden opportunity a few weeks later.

No, he couldn't. Rude couldn't kick out of Warrior's little splash, how would he be able to kick out of the 5 Star Frogsplash?

He could just avoid it all together:shrug:

RVD's been apart of some of the most violent matches ever, that's where the tough guy reputation comes from. Not to mention he has victories over some of the toughest guys in the history of pro wrestling as well. Not to mention his Kickboxing skills are legitimate with those educated feet of his. Right leg like went to Yale, left leg went to Harvard, son.

If this was a hardcore match or another kind of No DQ I might give the edge to RVD. Standard rules favor Rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back