WCW Region, Baltimore Subregion, First Round:(7)Mitsuharu Misawa vs.(26)Kenta Kobashi

Who Wins This Match?

• Mitsurharu Misawa

• Kenta Kobashi

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Baltimore Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the 1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore, Maryland

1st_Mariner_Arena.jpg

misawa-mitsuharu.jpg

#7. Mitsuharu Misawa

Vs.

02.jpg

#26. Kenta Kobashi

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Wow, what a first round match! It may say #7 vs. #26 but I think it's a lot closer than that. I can't say I know a whole lot about Japanesse wrestling but when you hear about wrestling in the orient these are two of the top names that come up. They are both multiple time Triple Crown Champions and have both been in numerous 5 star matches according to the Wrestling Observer (for what that's worth). I think I'm giving the edge to Misawa. He's had a couple more title reigns and they lasted for a longer period of time. He does hold the record for longest Triple Crown title reign. I can definitley be swayed if someone with knowledge of Japanesse wrestling posts in here (looking at you X) but until then I'm leaning toward Misawa.

Honestly this match just comes down to a case of who do you like more. They both have done so much and they have faced each other so many times that it is a bit stupid to work on who beat who as I think there is the entire back and forth thing, I think they may be even all up in terms of wins and losses to each other including tag matches.

I will probably flip a coin on this one as it is a bit of a toss up in my mind.

Based on what I know about these two they traded victories with each other throughout the mid and late 90's in a series of feuds that were a staple of ratings in AJPW and across Japan.

Misawa defeated Kobashi to win the Triple Crown title in 1997 and again in 1998. Kobashi has a slew of victories over Misawa, but he never won a title match against the man except in Pro Wrestling Noah.

Interesting enough, Kobashi's first win over Misawa was never shown on television; instead the match was rebooked into a draw. Misawa was a big star, even during that time, so I'd imagine Kobashi beating him cleanly must have been huge.

I think I'll give the nod to Misawa here; he had better showings against Kobashi in title matches and he was considered AJPW's top star in the late 90's.

This one goes to Kobashi for me. I cant really argue to much based on facts because there careers are so similar, but i can say that i never really got into Misawa's work unless he was facing Kobashi. That leads me to vote for Kobashi however I wont be disappointed if this one goes the other way

This matchup gives me an excuse to get into Japanese wrestling, and I love what I am seeing. I've noticed that Kenta and Misawa get better and better with each match. They get used to each other's styles, and the improvement is noticeable.

It's really hard to make a pick based on the little that I've seen, but I'm going with Misawa for the same reason as Echelon. Misawa takes it up a notch in the title matches, and that should be rewarded in this tournament.

HBK / Bret has nothing against this rivalry and justifyable cases can be put forward for either guy. I'm edging towards Kobashi for two reasons - he edges Misawa in my personal preference and he is the underdog here by quite a margin so less knowledgeable fans could well throw their votes to MM on that basis alone.

I think I'll give the nod to Misawa here; he had better showings against Kobashi in title matches and he was considered AJPW's top star in the late 90's.

Honestly, coming into this match, I had no idea who to go for. These men's careers are littered with MOTYs (mostly with each other), and 5-star matches (also against each other). The ECW Rules mean nothing in this match. The only thing that can help me decide a winner, is what I quoted from Ech. Misawa held the edge in big-time matches, and this would be a big-time match.

Misawa gets my vote here, but I won't cry over spilled milk if Kenta wins.

I'm arguing from a point of ignorance, admittedly, but when I first saw this matchup, it seemed to sit right with me that Misawa should win, and I've not read anything to suggest otherwise. I think Misawa is probably marginally more internationally known, and in a match outside of Japan, that is possibly the most important thing in a competition between the two.

Wow absolute sick 1st rd match, should this match at least be in the final 4, a disgrace Kobashi is a 26 seed. So tough but Misawa in an easy Match of the Decade Canditate.

What a great first round match(Although that seems to be a theme in this tourney). Both men here have traded huge victories over one another and both men are both triple crown and multiple world champions.

I'll have to give the edge to Kenta here. Kenta has the one thing that Misawa was never able to beat; The Burning Hammer. The move may not even be necessary since he also has other huge moves like the his lariat of the Orange Crush. No doubt about it. This will be a slobber knocker and it could honestly go either way but I'm given the edge to Kenta.

I've had the pleasure of watching a ton of Misawa Kobashi matches and have loved every one. At times these days I wanna slowly fade out of my love for prowrestling, but stuff like this keeps reminding me of everything that is good about the sport.

I gotta echo everyone else, this is a complete cointoss and voting either way is fine. It's as even as it gets - Kobashi may have had the slight edge since he innovated the Burning Hammer, but arguably Misawa's prime came before that starting from his win over Jumbo to become the Ace.

I'm going Kenta anyway; I'm sure I'll be corrected and will have decided for a bad reason, but from what I can tell Kenta has more experience outside Japan than Misawa. He's worked in Europe, he's worked ROH etc. It's a tiny, tiny reason and I'm certain Misawa would adapt to a different crowd with no problem, but when a match is this close you just gotta go with the slighest bias you can find.

Also, I'm sure some voters are unfamiliar with both and are voting for the higher seed and probably bigger name. If I can equal that out a bit I'd like to, even though I definitely prefer Misawa.

I notice that X hasn't weighed in on this match. I'll be looking forward to reading his response.

KOBASHHH KENTAHHHHHHHH!

Kobasi is one tough son of a gun. He's beaten cancer and every major Japanese star put in front of him. We may never know what it's like watching him face competition here in the States, but I believe he'd beat anyone in the biz today. And that says a lot considering Punk, Danielson, and many from ROH have worked in Japan.

Misawa's a legend and his bouts are things of lore in Japan. He's even stood toe to toe with Stan Hansen and may have even beaten him once or twice. Anyone who can stand a beating from the Bad man from Borger, TX deserves some consideration.

Alas, Kobashi with a moonsault at the 45 minute mark. People cry, cheer, and drink Ashaii Beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back