Warner Bros. & DC Blink First

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to boxofficemojo.com, the highly anticipated Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice is getting a new release date. The blockbuster will hit theaters on March 25, 2016 instead of it's original release date of May 6th. Earlier this year, it was announced that Batman vs. Superman would be kicking off the summer movie season in 2 years time going head to head with Captain America 3, which had various comic book fanboys up in arms already over which film would be better and which would see. Captain American 3 is still scheduled for its original release date of May 6, 2016.

I knew that one of them would have to be moved to another release date because they would've essentially canceled each other out. Basically, they'd have split the audience and the take of both films on opening weekend would've been considerably less than studios want. To be honest, initially, I was a little surprised that Disney & Marvel didn't switch to another debut weekend instead of Batman v. Superman. Batman & Superman are arguably THE two biggest & most recognized fictional characters of the 20th Century, arguably THE two biggest names in all of comics and fans have been clamoring for them to be in a crossover film for the better part of the past 20+ years.

As I alluded to, I initially figured anticipation would be much higher for Batman v. Superman than for the Captain America sequel. However, that was before I thought about a couple of factors I hadn't considered. One of those factors is that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a MUCH better movie than I think most people were expecting, critics have gone apeshit over it and it's made $713.7 million worldwide. Another factor I hadn't considered was that The Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out May 1, 2015. As a result, Captain America 3 could very well get a big boost at the box office if Age of Ultron garners the kind of box office numbers and critical acclaim the first Avengers movie garnered. Iron Man 3 came out after the first Avengers flick and it got a huge boost, making $1.215 billion at the box office, almost double what Iron Man 2 brought in.

Since Cap 3 is part of the heavily established Marvel Cinematic Universe, has had its stock jacked up by the success of Winter Soldier and its connection to The Avengers franchise, whereas Batman v. Superman is going to be the beginning of DC's Cinematic Universe, I'm guessing Warner Bros. figured their movie had more to lose.

Eh I can see why they've done it, I think they will outdo Captain America 3 BUT if both were released on the same day both would be 50-100mil down easily. They've announced a schedule of dates but not which movies there are. They're releasing another in November of that year.

Remember the movie was originally scheduled for 2015 but was put back so it makes sense to bring it forward.

As cool as the prospect of seeing Bats/Supes in the same movie I still think WB realizes the gap in popularity between it's top heroes and Marvel's is a hell of a lot closer than they'd like it to be. Because of this moving the date is the only option, I'm sure both movies would be fine but Marvel can take Cap 3's profits getting cut in half, DC can't risk losing BvS.

*****es. It's like if the Superfriends decided they would focus their efforts on The Penguin in March so they take their vacation in May when Lex Luthor was coming to town. Maybe they cam release a Wonder Twins movie instead in May. I expect better from my superhero movies. They should fear nothing and take responsibility for their actions.

I imagine that WB isn't too excited about their prospects for this movie from a critical or fan standpoint and don't want it compared to anything else. I probably won't see either in the theater but with everything I am hearing about Guardians if the Galaxy I may check that out before it goes small screen.

How will the internet blame this on Ben Affleck?

WB/DC are already fighting a losing battle. Would have helped if they had been there when the battle started. In the big picture, yes, Bats and Supes are probably the bigger properties. However, the momentum Marvel has collected in recent years is astounding, and no one DC movie is going to break that. The honest truth is that the Batman franchise fizzled out after the death of Heath Ledger and the disappointment of DKR. The Superman franchise has been in tatters for decades. WB/DC has no real choice here, Marvel is kicking their fucking teeth in.

Both of these films are probably going to gross upwards of $700m anyway, so moving them apart doesn't really phase me, or anyone, that much.

I concur that the Marvel Cineverse is an absolute juggernaut at this point but I firmly believe that Batman vs Superman will outsell it. The novelty of this being a cross over movie with two of the biggest heroes ever meeting will be enough to steer people towards the cinema.

Winter Soldier was awesome but Cap isn't Iron Man and although it took a lot of money, Batman vs Superman should break $1 billion if it is handled correctly.

That said, this isn't anyone "blinking". This is just Warner Bros making a smart business move. Remember when TNA moved to Monday nights to rival raw? How did that work out for them? Exactly.

Best separating your shit and doing your own thing. I'll still see both in the cinema.

I dunno...Bat Fleck, and the guy who whined for 2+ hours in the Social Network as Lex....scary...

The real problem with DC is simply compelling characters. Aside from Batman and Supes...the rest of the JLA is weak. No one is going to sit through a 2 hour Wonderwoman movie...or an Aquaman movie.

DC is playing catch up. The problem with Bats Vs Supes is cramming too many people in one movie...there are even rumors that Doomsday is going to be refernced.

I am much more intrigued with the TV stuff DC is doing, Gotham looks freaking amazing, and Arrow has consistently gotten better.

No one is going to sit through a 2 hour Wonderwoman movie...or an Aquaman movie.

They said the same with Thor and look what happened.

The thing is with Aquaman is he's strong as fuck, a really good character but has the "he can talk to fish" joke that GL has with "he doesn't like yellow". Having Aquaman as bit parts in the movies will give people the opportunity to want to see him on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back