• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ventration

Mr. Artistic guy

Better Off This Way
If you're a tl;dr-er, don't bother.

So, I want to talk about what's bothering me.

Basically, for the last couple of weeks I've been looking after my sisters cat. I didn't ask to look after this cat, nor did I desire to and neither do I still. My sister lives in the same house as me. I look after the cat, because most of my family are allergic in some way and aren't capable of keeping a cat in their room or holding it etc... and my sister would not do so if I did not. In short, nobody else would. I therefore let her stay in my room and bring her to our living room when I can and nobody is there, making sure to clean up after her. I have bought for her; a litter tray, three different bags of cat litter, two boxes of cat food containing many satchels, a cat harness to get her used to the outside. My sister has bought for her; nothing. To date two people have offered her to take the cat off her hands, my half-sister who has a full-time job and two children plus a large house, and my sister's former partner.

This isn't an isolated case. She's recently returned from co-renting a house as a student, before very recently dropping out of university in the first year. She shared the building with her female partner of a year or so, for the last six months. In that time, in a house that said it would only accept rabbits as pets, she has acquired somehow or another for full-time care (few of which she may not own now); two goldfish, a puppy, a kitten, a plethora of rabbits which I'll talk you through now. She originally had three rabbits who were all male and all siblings, all black and white patched. She then bought another fully baby after a while. She bought a fully-grown white rabbit. She bought a fluffy white mother and baby. Most recently she bought a pair of girls, sisters, who get on along well. She also got another small brown one along the way.

Now it gets more complicated. There's been plenty of breeding during this time. The white fluffy mother was the first to have children I believe. She had eight and they were removed for the hutch almost right after birth for the whole day. They were returned hours later. The next morning the mother had killed them all. Now, I'm not an animal expert, but I understand you aren't supposed to remove a new-born animal from it's nest. Something to do with the scents and mothers rejecting their babies? Either way, from that time the rabbit was deemed to be a bad mother. Nonetheless, the same rabbit was allowed to have another slightly smaller litter. This time, however, the babies were removed and given to another rabbit who'd shortly before had a small litter herself, taking her tally up from about 3 to 10 babies. That in itself must've confused the fuck outta her. Several of these, surprisingly seen as most of them weren't hers anyway, were killed over the next few days also. I believe eventually, mercifully most of the survivors were siphoned off and sold to shops or rescues. She doesn't live on that house at current times but there is still a mother and a breed of 4 babies all living in the bathroom at the moment, surviving on a daily 10 minute visit and whatever food my sister happens to want to bring with her.

The treatment of these animals is another story. Their care ranged greatly, correlating strongly with how recently they were bought/born. Some rabbits were cared for almost round the clock. Older rabbits tended to be left in a hutch all day every day in the garden, never being let out to run around and having their cages cleared infrequently. In some cases, she kept rabbits not even in hutches, but in cardboard boxes that you use for transporting animals with no light and only food and water. One large rabbit was even left in a zip-up back only about twice her size with barely enough space to turn around. My sister's case of animals tends to range from acceptable (if you can get over the hitting of animals) to appalling, with the worst examples being simply left in small containers surrounded by their own faeces, a little bit of food and water and about 10 minutes attention, if that, on an average day. No drive to encourage physical exertion on their part. On her watch, almost 20 rabbits have died in six months and one fish. That's not a fantastic record is it?

So she recently split up with her partner of almost a year after their six month contract on their rented house shortly comes to and end and she has moved back in with us. The cat and dog now live in our house, although we never offered that they could! Most everyone takes turns with the dog, taking her for walks and such and spending time with here because she is less physically aggressive. The cat, on the other hand, is looked after by only me and sometimes my dad. She spends most of her time in the day sleeping, which of course is very manageable. At night, however, as cats often do, she becomes very active. She spends a great deal of her energy thinking that my arms are toys and I am slathered in cuts and bites up and down my forearms from her nigh time play fights. For the last week or more I've been averaging about 6 hours sleep and am woken often by a pain in my toe as she sinks her teeth into it at not far north of seven in the morning, although sometimes during the middle of the night also. To recap, I never asked to or wanted to look after this kitten, and am doing so for her benefit only because if I didn't nobody would.

The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I am tired and very frustrated and angry to a critical point now. I was in my room trying to watch over the cat and spend time with her as nobody else will whilst enduring the usual onslaught of claws and teeth. I continue to soldier through, though, as I excuse it all in the name of playing and after all she's still only quite young. Until just before, at about 11 o'clock when I could stand it no more. She launched up my arm and scratched me on my face. In a fit of anger I picked her up and threw her full-force across the room. Now she's understandably afraid of me, and I know it's not really her fault. She never asked for me, I never asked for her. I've told my sister that other people are willing to buy her, but in her totally bewildering, delusional manner, she refuses as she actually thinks she's not doing a bad job looking after the cat and because 'she bought her'. By all accounts now, she's lucky we haven't called the NSPCA on her because it's just that bad, she's only 19 for heaven's sake. I'm truly at my wits end now.

I'm not necessarily looking for advise, although I won't necessarily blindly defect any, I'm mainly just venting.

all I got was the fact you threw a cat full force across the room.

That sir makes you an asshole

You should read the rest of it. Lots of words there.

But perhaps I should elaborate. I threw her onto the armchair. She didn't get hurt, just scared.

doesn't change the fact you threw the cat full force across the room.

you're still an asshole

Man that shit happened with my girlfriend a few year's back. She bought a little kitten while she was in between living with various family members, thinking she could take care of it. Then one day she asked me if she could leave it at my house for a few days because her grandmother was complaining about it. At the time we already had two other cats and I had two mice that I quite liked. Well within the first two hours the kitten knocked over the mice cage and caught one of them in her mouth and tossed it around the room. Obviously this is what cats do with mice so I understood so I put the mice at a higher point in the room so the cat couldn't get to it, on top of a shelf. Fifteen minutes later the cat attempts to jump on the shelf, fails, and knocks over the entire shelf which was filled with my DVDs and the mouse cage. The mouse cage broke and my mice were scurrying around my room trying to avoid getting caught by the kitten.

The cat also had a tendency to scratch up my legs and back as well and it's favorite place to sleep was literally on my throat. After the first night I fucking despised that cat and was counting the days until my girlfriend would take her home. I got so frustrated that everytime the cat did something wrong I would just throw her onto my bed. Before the "few days" were over, my girlfriend ended up moving in with me and my family though. I was so pissed those first few weeks but now I fucking love that cat, we've had her for a few years now.

Not the same situation I know yours seems to be worse than what mine was, but I know what it's like to deal with a cat you have no interest in dealing with. Shit sucks. Maybe have like a family meeting without her and try to find a way to get rid of it when she's not around. You said she bought many animals only to neglect them after purchasing a new one so she'll probably be pissed for the first few days but I'm sure she'll get over it.

all I got was the fact you threw a cat full force across the room.

That sir makes you an asshole

Some dude cheats on his girlfriend, I'd call him an asshole. Some girl starts revealing a friends personal issues publicly, asshole.

Someone throws a cat across the room, wouldn't exactly call that an asshole, especially considering the cat had just clawed across his face.

Its a fucking cat, run it over or something.

Or, just give it away yourself and say it ran off.

Yeah, the second one is the better way to go about things. I'd rather lie than kill any day.

Unsolicited and unwanted advice.

If you want, you can tell me your address and I can call whatever animal protection you have wherever it is you are :)

Seriously though, give the cat to someone that wants it. It's beyond stupid that you, a person that does not want a cat, are required to watch over a cat purchased by someone who does not want a cat, that is forcing you to watch said cat. She is 19 fucking years old, stop coddling her and ask her why if she seriously wants the cat, why you are forced to do all the work in taking care of it. She isn't five and you aren't her mother.

I'm in a similar situation too, bro. I moved out with a few friends in a house (been there over a year now) and one of my mates brought a cat as it was his. Ever since, she's been neglected, starved and not taken care of properly by him. The rest of house takes care of her and she currently resides in the back room as it is practically empty and the floor has tiles. She can't come in the house as she hasn't been de-sexed or anything, so she pisses every she gets the chance (mainly due to her kitty litter never being changed).

Either call up an animal shelter and take her or sell it anonymously. If your sister finds out the cat's missing, you act surprised as well. It worked for us... but somehow my mate found out where his cat went and brought her back home (moral of the story: do this but make sure you only know and make it as anonymous/hidden as you can).

1241502_o.gif

Be sure and recce the bin you're going to use first of course ;)

Generally I am a cat person, but psycho cats can burn in hell. There's one that likes to loiter on the shed outside my flat and come down to rub round my legs, but try and pet the thing and the hissing, claws and big eyes appear faster than a Cena comback sequence.

Sounds like a hell of a tough situation though BG. The kitten, like you say, will probably think of its antics as just playful and may take a while to stop clawing everything. Its maybe something you've got already, but what about a scratching pole (I think that's what they're called) for the kitten?

What I think I'm going to settle on is getting the cat used to the garden and start to let her out at night. After a few days I'll let her out by herself. And if she doesn't come back, I won't cry. If she does, at least I won't be having to look after her at night any more.

As for my sister. Well. We've all had our theories about her behaviour for a while. My mum reckons she might have aspergers. My dad definitely has it, as does my brother, but it's harder to detect in girls. The lack of appreciation for other people's situations definitely seems to point at that. The fact of the matter is, she doesn't realise she's doing anything wrong, so it's really hard to deal with and talk to her. At the moment, we're all praying that she'll earn enough money with her new job to move out again.

C'est tres difficile.

Man that shit happened with my girlfriend a few year's back. She bought a little kitten while she was in between living with various family members, thinking she could take care of it. Then one day she asked me if she could leave it at my house for a few days because her grandmother was complaining about it. At the time we already had two other cats and I had two mice that I quite liked. Well within the first two hours the kitten knocked over the mice cage and caught one of them in her mouth and tossed it around the room. Obviously this is what cats do with mice so I understood so I put the mice at a higher point in the room so the cat couldn't get to it, on top of a shelf. Fifteen minutes later the cat attempts to jump on the shelf, fails, and knocks over the entire shelf which was filled with my DVDs and the mouse cage. The mouse cage broke and my mice were scurrying around my room trying to avoid getting caught by the kitten.

The cat also had a tendency to scratch up my legs and back as well and it's favorite place to sleep was literally on my throat. After the first night I fucking despised that cat and was counting the days until my girlfriend would take her home. I got so frustrated that everytime the cat did something wrong I would just throw her onto my bed. Before the "few days" were over, my girlfriend ended up moving in with me and my family though. I was so pissed those first few weeks but now I fucking love that cat, we've had her for a few years now.

Not the same situation I know yours seems to be worse than what mine was, but I know what it's like to deal with a cat you have no interest in dealing with. Shit sucks. Maybe have like a family meeting without her and try to find a way to get rid of it when she's not around. You said she bought many animals only to neglect them after purchasing a new one so she'll probably be pissed for the first few days but I'm sure she'll get over it.

Tenta...?. Wait a minute. The heck?

I would sit your sister down, explain your frustrations, and tell her she needs to figure something out because it's her responsibility and no one elses. I would note her inability to properly care for these animals, how cruel and unfortunate it is for the animals, and if she doesn't get how it's wrong, explain it in a way she will understand. For instance, explain to her "What if you were put in a box or a bag or cage and ignored all day with little to no food, no exercise, etc....would you say that's right or that you were being cared for properly?" Let her selfishness be her enlightenment. You're not going to get anywhere by avoiding the inevitable confrontation that will have to take place at some point, because at some point she has to take responsibility for it. You don't want to do it, no one else wants to do it, no one asked for it, and she is the one that brought it all upon you. So, she is the one you need to take it to, and you must insist, demand, and see to it that the burden be taken off of your shoulders, and if not I would tell her "If you don't want to do something about it I am going to take these animals to the Animal Rescue League (or whatever your local equivalent is) whether you like it or not because something's gotta give and it won't be me." Have a spine, stand up straight, stand up for yourself and those animals, and make the bitch deal with it herself; and if she doesn't want to do anything about it, follow through on your word and simply end the situation and take the animals to a shelter of some kind where they can be properly cared for and have homes found for them where they will be properly cared for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back