• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Update on Jericho's WWE Future

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It was initially reported that Jericho's latest run with the WWE might be coming to an end very shortly after WrestleMania. Jericho is currently advertised for WWE events through June 4th. Fozzy was added to the Download Festival in the UK from June 8th through June 10th.

However, it's being reported that Jericho could return after touring with the band as he's being advertised for house shows in late August. The Chesapeake Arena website is currently advertising Jericho for the Raw episode that will take place there on October 1st.

If this is true, then I think there's a good chance that Jericho might beat Punk at WM and have a brief run with the title before dropping it back to Punk before embarking on his tour with Fozzy.

Mod Note:
This thread is NOT for discusion of the Jericho/Punk Wrestlemania match. Only discuss his future in this thread otherwise you risk being warned/infracted.

Thank you.

Punk needs to look as strong as possible from here on out. I assume we'll revist Punk vs Cena during the summer (unless the proposed Rock vs Cena Summerslam rematch goes down) so Punk needs to win at Wrestlemania and hold the title for a while.

I'm not even so sure Jericho will be back after the Fozzy tour, I think the purpose of his return was purely to put Punk over as the Best in the World

It is interesting to think about the Jericho dynamic due to his other interests.

I personally think that Punk has to go over at WrestleMania ... which actually made it surprising to me that Jericho did not already take the strap off of him. So, I would not be shocked if they put the title around Jericho's waist at Mania ... but I would think of it as the wrong call.

I think the best thing for them to do with Punk is have him carry the title until at least SummerSlam. If Jericho is around then, they can throw the belt on him. If not, then they can throw it on someone else, or even continue a lengthy Punk reign.

Of course, if Punk gets stale or something they can change their thoughts, but right now he is not stale. No reason to take it off of him.

I can honestly see him hanging around for a bit afterwards. I don't know HOW LONG, but if he carries on until October in the house shows, reckon he could hang on until Survivor Series and do something? Maybe (at a bit of a long shot), they hang on until WM NEXT YEAR and the WWE carry on the whole end or an era thing and he takes on Undertaker? Probably wrong, but might as well put it out there

Personally unless Jericho is going to stay full time for the next year or two, I'd rather not see him at all. He gets in the way of the WWE trying to build young stars. Now more then ever the WWE needs to build stars. Having guys like Jericho come and go just makes it mroe difficult. I understand why its done, but it needs to end...seriously!

I think Jericho will be around for at least a year or two. Most likely during his contract negotiations, which we all know went back and forth for a while, will allow him to make his Fozzy commitments and still come back to wrestle. He has more than paid his dues, he is a valuable commodity that will always bring Vince money. I don't really see him going for a few years stra ight, but at least have a few feuds to elevate new stars. Maybe go quickly through everyone he complained about copying him, elevate them and most likely be on his way with no regrets.

I figured we'd be seeing Jericho for a bit longer; I'm happy about this. Chris Jericho -- even in a more limited capacity -- is valuable to the WWE. He's an excellent performer, both in the ring and on the mic and he has got some recognition with the fans. At this stage of his career, they don't need to have him racking up championship belts and tearing through everybody in sight. Instead, Jericho can do what he's best at: Put some people over. Contrary to popular belief, Jericho is not a full-time main eventer -- never has been and never will be. Jericho is very comfortable in an upper midcard role, so is a guy like Rey Mysterio. That's what makes Jericho so good, he's flexible and, as such, very useful to the WWE.

I'm not sure what happens, but a short WWE Championship run won't be a bad choice for Jericho; he can drop the belt to someone and make them look like gold, which is exactly what he should be doing. Past that, I wouldn't mind seeing him hold a midcard title. Yeah, I'd like to see WWE milk everything they can out of Jericho while he's still around, but I think it's a logical move. Giving Jericho a midcard title, admittedly, does nothing for him, but it does wonders for the title and his challengers. I think Jericho is more than willing to put himself on the backburner and allow someone else to go over him, especially if this is his last run. Jericho has always gone out on his back, that won't change now.

i wouldve liked to see jericho and punk drag out there battle of words a bit...punk refusing to break his silence for weeks to get face reactions of a enraged jericho. to the point that jericho goes on tirades backstage in the ring...then have jericho interfere with punks matches to make him loose...til cm punk goes off...then finally getting his justice at mania by defeating his tormenter. But i do believe the return of the undertaker and the rock arent doing cm punks break out year any justice...but he couldnt ask for a better opponent.

Past that, I wouldn't mind seeing him hold a midcard title. Yeah, I'd like to see WWE milk everything they can out of Jericho while he's still around, but I think it's a logical move. Giving Jericho a midcard title, admittedly, does nothing for him, but it does wonders for the title and his challengers. I think Jericho is more than willing to put himself on the backburner and allow someone else to go over him, especially if this is his last run. Jericho has always gone out on his back, that won't change now.

True, but how many times has he already held the IC title? 9, I think.
Sure, it's fine him extending his record, but having a vet hold a mid-card belt kind of defeats the purpose of the title's existence - a stepping stone for future main eventers.

Still, I do agree with you that Jericho should stick around and help others' pushes. Imagine what a program with Kofi, Ziggler or Rhodes could do.

True, but how many times has he already held the IC title? 9, I think.
Sure, it's fine him extending his record, but having a vet hold a mid-card belt kind of defeats the purpose of the title's existence - a stepping stone for future main eventers.

Still, I do agree with you that Jericho should stick around and help others' pushes. Imagine what a program with Kofi, Ziggler or Rhodes could do.

I never specified IC or US, either one is fine. I don't think it defeats the purpose of the title, either. The titles haven't been a legitimate stepping stone in a while, I mean, just look at the reign Jack Swagger had with the United States Championship. Chris Jericho could re-energize one of those titles, which is one of the most beneficial things he could do. I remember a few years ago when the likes of JBL, Rey Mysterio, and Jericho himself held the Intercontinental Championshp; I was excited to see who they would drop it to and what that would do for their (the challenger's) careers. Take them out of the equation and the midcard titles mean nothing. There have been a few nice reigns in the past few years, I could probably count them all on one hand. Jericho would be able to help the fans "forget" that, or at least, get past that.

Jericho is a high level guy in the WWE hierarchy and coming off of a feud with CM Punk, which he could potentially leave as champion, he'd be able to take a midcard title to heights it hasn't seen in years. He could then drop the title to a midcarder trying to make that next step and they'd be set. He's worth more like that than he is in arguably any other role. Guys like Kofi, Rhodes, and Ziggler would all be solid feuds for Jericho and he would help them take the step to the main event, but they can do it without him. They don't need Jericho, the midcard titles, on the other hand, desperately need someone like Jericho.

The titles haven't been a legitimate stepping stone in a while, I mean, just look at the reign Jack Swagger had with the United States Championship. Chris Jericho could re-energize one of those titles, which is one of the most beneficial things he could do.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that really; Cody has done some great things for the IC title, and having the title has equally done good things for him and his career progression.
The U.S. title on the other hand, yes, total waste. I mean, Bret Hart, for a week. Why?! Nowadays I see the United States title as being more on a par with the old European championship, rather than an equivalent to the Intercontinental title; a lower mid card belt with less prestige.

I digress.

Indeed, Jericho should take that path, but I don't think he needs to lose a championship to someone to put them over in all honesty, just a good solid feud.

I can see Jericho for the most part taking Summer's off to tour and persue other interests, while working WWE during the high points on the calender.

Summer festivals are a big deal for a band like Fozzy, and traditionally there isn't as much going on in the WWE during those times (although he likely will be back in time to build something for Summerslam).

He's earned the right to have a schedule like that though, and you can guarantee that if McMahon wouldn't let him do it, then he wouldn't have even come back to the WWE in the first place. He's made his money (and apparently he's been pretty good with it), and he's busy enough that he doesn't need wrestling anymore. He's just back because he loves it.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that really; Cody has done some great things for the IC title, and having the title has equally done good things for him and his career progression.
The U.S. title on the other hand, yes, total waste. I mean, Bret Hart, for a week. Why?! Nowadays I see the United States title as being more on a par with the old European championship, rather than an equivalent to the Intercontinental title; a lower mid card belt with less prestige.

I digress.

Indeed, Jericho should take that path, but I don't think he needs to lose a championship to someone to put them over in all honesty, just a good solid feud.

What has Cody done exactly for the IC title? I'm trying to think of one great match he's had defending that title. In fact, I can't even remember any title defenses he's had with it (not that he hasn't had any, but none are even worth remembering).

Jericho feuding for the IC belt would finally make it matter (at least temporarily).

Im hopeing Jericho loses at Wrestlemania he not in the business full time like he used to be. Hes got other interests outside of wrestling now like his band. It makes more sense for CM Punk to win at Wrestlemania and continue his title reign and go onto a new feud

What has Cody done exactly for the IC title? I'm trying to think of one great match he's had defending that title. In fact, I can't even remember any title defenses he's had with it (not that he hasn't had any, but none are even worth remembering).

He's done exactly what Wade, Big Zeke, Kofi, and Drew failed to do - get people talking about the Intercontinental Championship again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back