• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unite or Divide Tag Team Tournament

@smarkmouth

Friendly Neighborhood
This idea has been turning around in my head. It's not a thought that's been provoked by anything on WWE programming lately, nor is it something I anticipate can be integrated any time soon. Just an idea I want to put to paper, really.

So the idea, as title suggests, is a tag team tournament, but with a twist. 8 tag teams participate (perhaps 4 from each brand), and each team is determined entirely by lottery. Random names are paired together. We may get a few casual allies (Rusev and Sheamus), a mega star dragging along a lovable jobber (Cena and Slater), a leader taking the opportunity to attempt to grow his ranks (Wyatt and Corbin), or bitter rivals forced to put their differences aside (Owens and Zayn).

Each member of the winning team is offered a choice; Unite or Divide. This choice is done simultaneously, and anonymously to one another (perhaps presented on the stage with twin podiums, where the choice is keyed in). As the choice is binary, and each star makes their own choice , this yields three possible results.

If both choose to Unite; The team is awarded with a shot at the Tag Team Championship
If one star chooses to Unite, and the other chooses to Divide; This is effectively a betrayal. The star choosing to Divide is awarded a shot at the World Championship, and the star who chose to Unite gets nothing.
If both choose to Divide; Neither superstar is awarded anything, or perhaps penalized in some other way.

Anyone familiar with game theory may have recognized this as the prisoner's dilemma, which is a principal I don't think I've ever seen applied to wrestling. However, I think with some fine tuning, it fits. I think it would be fun to watch these relationships develop through the tournament, and the climactic action naturally being a shocking betrayal or turn, or a feel good moment of success. There is the risk of rendering the tournament meaningless (if both choose to Divide), but there's merit in that, too. That is if the penalty is something more creative than I suggested.

Anyway, that's that. Again, not really a talking point. Just needed a bit of brain drain.

Meh. Random tag lotteries have been done before and aren't the most interesting thing in the world. Lot of meaningless random matches and the overdone bickering partners.

Tag lotteries, yes, they've been done. Hopefully, the field of such a tournament wouldn't be filled with infighting teams, but fresh strangers working together for a greater reward. Nevertheless, the crux of my post was the use of the prisoner's dilemma in wrestling. I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't recall a use of it, and if it were, well, I can only see it at it's most interesting with random pairs.

Golden%20Balls%20Pic%204.jpg

I'll give you that, penalizing the villains is an interesting twist. I'm just not really into tournaments so this stuff isn't up my alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back